Howard Eskin shares what he’s hearing about the Eagles’ draft plans 

Road to Victory

Howard Eskin shares what he’s hearing about the Eagles’ draft plans 

First round LB really gonna happen?

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton  Apr 21, 2020, 10:37am EDT

2020 NFL Draft rumors are abound as Thursday night approaches. And while they can be fun to discuss, it’s important to take everything we hear and read with a grain of salt. 

With that in mind, let’s check out the latest Philadelphia Eagles buzz from SportsRadio 94WIP’s Howard Eskin. 

"Well, I think they’re going to take a linebacker or move back. I have two things. Because I do not think — I mean, there are some mock drafts that have [Henry] Ruggs slipping to No. 21, I don’t know how Ruggs slips to 21. If [Justin] Jefferson is there, they would take Jefferson. I’ve had some people tell me [that the Eagles] really think Jefferson is good. And Chris Simms, who I had on last week, and is on my podcast right now, doesn’t like the Jerry Jeudy fit and has him no better than 25. But I don’t think he’s going to be there, either. So if you get a receiver there, either Ruggs or Jefferson … obviously CeeDee Lamb is not going to be there. Ruggs or Jefferson, I think they take him. 

If they’re not there, I’ve talked to multiple people that like Patrick Queen, the linebacker out of LSU, better than [Kenneth] Murray out of Oklahoma. So, if Patrick Queen is there, because everyone has pumped up Murray.

And if none of them are there, I think they trade back and then still take a wide receiver. So, I’ll think they take a wide receiver somewhere … whether it’s at 21, 21 if he’s there, if the linebacker Queen is not there, they’ll move back and probably take a wide receiver there.”

Summarizing the Eagles’ realistic preferences at No. 21 as suggested by Eskin:

1) Justin Jefferson (or Henry Ruggs III if he unexpectedly falls)
2) Patrick Queen
3) Trade back and take a wide receiver

Eskin is just the latest of many voices to suggest the Eagles really like Jeffersonand would take him at No. 21. There’s thought that Jefferson won’t even make it to Philly’s pick, however. A small trade up might be necessary to ensure the Jaguars don’t take him at No. 20 and also to block other teams from moving ahead of the Eagles to select the LSU pass catcher.

The linebacker stuff is interesting because there continues to be talk that the Eagles could really select one in the first round for the first time since 1979. Former NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah has Philly taking Murray at No. 21 but Eskin seems to indicate the Eagles prefer Queen. 

Trading back to take a receiver is a tricky game because the Eagles can’t move down too far in the order. They don’t want to find themselves sitting on their hands as a run on that position starts to begin. The likes of Jalen Reagor or Denzel Mims or Brandon Aiyuk are probably in the trade back tier.

Of course, there was also a rumor out there last week that was claiming the Eagles are "aggressively pursuing” a trade up for CeeDee Lamb. So, who truly knows what this team is planning.

We’ll find out soon enough in just a couple of days.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2020/4/21/21229385/nfl-draft-rumors-eagles-howard-eskin-patrick-queen-linebacker-philadelphia-first-round-jefferson-bgn

• Like 1

Eskin "The Eagles are going to pick a player", later on...."See, I told you the Eagles were going to pick a player!!"

• Like 1

If they want a WR in the first round, moving back is a mistake.  Look at the teams directly behind the Eagles, Minnesota and New England. Both need a WR. You trade back even four spots trying to get cute, and you very possibly miss out on Reagor and Aiyuk/Mims

I don't care how plugged in to the organization any of these guys are - highly doubt any of them are privy to any inside info regarding our draft strategy/plans.  It would make absolutely no sense to leak any info to the media just days in advance of the draft.  All of these "what I'm hearing" pieces are likely nothing more than speculation or educated guesses.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I don't care how plugged in to the organization any of these guys are - highly doubt any of them are privy to any inside info regarding our draft strategy/plans.  It would make absolutely no sense to leak any info to the media just days in advance of the draft.  All of these "what I'm hearing" pieces are likely nothing more than speculation or educated guesses.  

I don't think they are but I am starting to worry that they do go LB. I think Howie will want to show its all about BPA and they may actually have Murray as that BPA at #21.

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think they are but I am starting to worry that they do go LB. I think Howie will want to show its all about BPA and they may actually have Murray as that BPA at #21.

Well other "reports" claim they like Queen quite a bit better than Murray.  If a LB is far and away the BPA and the top WR prospects are gone I'd be OK with that (even though I really want one of the top 3 ... 4 if you include Jefferson ... WRs), but they would have to make it a priority to grab one in rd 2 which likely means moving up from 53.  They absolutely need to have 2 new WRs by Sunday morning.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Well other "reports" claim they like Queen quite a bit better than Murray.  If a LB is far and away the BPA and the top WR prospects are gone I'd be OK with that (even though I really want one of the top 3 ... 4 if you include Jefferson ... WRs), but they would have to make it a priority to grab one in rd 2 which likely means moving up from 53.  They absolutely need to have 2 new WRs by Sunday morning.  

I'd much prefer Mims, Reagor or Aiyuk over a LB. Not necessarily in terms of talent but in terms of giving this team what it desperately needs and adding to the offense after an off season of going so heavy on the defense so far. LB doesn't move the needle for us I don't think, WR absolutely does.

That's an Impossible Whopper of a story...Thanks B.K.!!!

The Burger King | Fictional Characters Wiki | Fandom

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarkFrizzell said:

Still can't believe this organization is ever taking a LB IN RD 1

I really really hope not. 

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I really really hope not. 

Yup me too. They see LB as a value position. They know they need to invest 1st round resources into WR. Lets hope the draft falls kindly.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MarkFrizzell said:

Yup me too. They see LB as a value position. They know they need to invest 1st round resources into WR. Lets hope the draft falls kindly.

I just want it to be a WR. Then go WR in the third or fourth and that will satisfy me. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I just want it to be a WR. Then go WR in the third or fourth and that will satisfy me. 

me too.

My problem is I'm like Schindler and his list...I get stuck on names.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

me too.

My problem is I'm like Schindler and his list...I get stuck on names.

I'm stuck on a few names but ultimately I just want a WR in the first. 

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm stuck on a few names but ultimately I just want a WR in the first. 

In the end, I agree that whatever their names, two impact WR's from this draft is a big win for the player personnel department, and sorely needed.

• Like 1

Eagles FO is one of the best in the NFL at keeping a secret on who they want to draft. I believe no rumors, stories etc by anyone. No one other then Howie, Lurie, and maybe Doug have a clue what the plan is and who they love. 

Just like combines, mock drafts, etc. Its fun to kill time but I put zero stock into any of it. You might get a few that guessed right, but in the end its a guess. None of these guys really have more info then the avg joe when it comes to the Eagles draft plans. 

Just now, PoconoDon said:

In the end, I agree that whatever their names, two impact WR's from this draft is a big win for the player personnel department, and sorely needed.

Without doubt. I wanted 3 earlier in the off season but I'll be really happy now if we get 2. I have my doubts though. 

• Like 1