Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Stayin Alive Stayin Alive

Captain F

Will we see hockey resume this year?  Did the Flyers have a legit shot? 

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Fringe sport

Agreed to a degree.  I could see the NHL being in a really tough spot if the Sports world doesnt get going before September...

The flyers are currently in a better spot to win a championship than any other team in the city, you could argue the sixers if they had a better coach or the eagles if they had any semblance of talent at WR. But until those things happen the flyers are the best constructed team at this moment 

• Like 1

It'd be nice to spell Official correctly in the heading.

• Like 2

I can tell you this. The flyers treat their fans alot better than the eagles do. The NHL isnt so big that they get to stop caring like the nfl has. Go Flyers!!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, What The F said:

Will we see hockey resume this year?  Did the Flyers have a legit shot? 

If we go into some sort of instant playoffs its gonna be sloppy play. We had so much momentum too. Sucks 

12 hours ago, devpool said:

The flyers are currently in a better spot to win a championship than any other team in the city, you could argue the sixers if they had a better coach or the eagles if they had any semblance of talent at WR. But until those things happen the flyers are the best constructed team at this moment 

Very much agree. And they still have alot of talent in Lehigh.

5 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

It'd be nice to spell Official correctly in the heading.

Fat fingered it. 

1974 Cup Game 6 is on NBCSN right now.

Spoiler

The Flyers win

The fact that a global pandemic happened is all the more reason for me to believe the Flyers finally found their goalie in Hart. 

So it sounds like the NHL is targeting a late May to Reopen team facilities. None of this is official, but the proposal with the most support, at least among the players, is to have a three week training camp to get back to game shape. Start a 24 team tournament in Mid June.

The Top 6 teams from each Division would meet in one city. They would open with best-of-three series between the No. 1 and 2 seeds (to decide a Division winner), while No. 3 meets 6 and 4 meets 5 for the right to keep playing.  Flyers are currently the two seed would play washington for the number 1 seed in the metro. Pens-Isles and Canes-Blue Jackets would play best of three for right to play Flyers or Caps in round two, with matchup based on who wins the Flyers Cap mini series.

24 teams is way too many. I'd do it with eight. Top two teams in each division. The 1s play the 2s. The winners then meet for the conference championship. And then the finals. 

3 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

24 teams is way too many. I'd do it with eight. Top two teams in each division. The 1s play the 2s. The winners then meet for the conference championship. And then the finals. 

The 24 would get cut to 16 typical playoffs pretty quickly. The purpose for doing a mini series and expanding is because there was 12 games left of the season when they shutdown, which would have been plenty of time for some of the 5th or 6th place teams to climb into a playoff birth. This proposal gives a mini round robin to account for who the final teams are then do a true tournament.

10 years ago today...

Man, I miss Playoff Hockey!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

10 years ago today...

Man, I miss Playoff Hockey!

I was there! A decade ago, but it feels like only yesterday! I distinctly remember louldly calling Lucic a b**** from the top of TD Garden after he took that big hit in the 3rd period, much to Bruins' fans dismay. The only sounds I could hear as we quickly exited were those same fans loudly cursing their team. I graduated from BU the next day. Ahhhhh, memories!

• Like 4

Watching those highlights really reminds me of how sad it is that pronger was forced to retire due to concussion related issues. Aside from a generally good guy living a miserable life, losing a hall of fame talent and the cap implications of his contract killed us those next couple years 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1