Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Eliminated.

Captain F

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

It makes me sad thinking about what could have been this year.  I don't believe for a second that they can pull off a playoff season this year.  The hockey off-season is very short.  At some point they need to scrap the 2019/2020 season and start to make plans for the 2020/2021 season which starts in October.  

They have a pretty interesting plan being kicked around and I love that the Flyers will get a BYE and have some guys coming back healthy.

Also, it wouldn't be hard to cut a month or so off next year to make it happen. Honestly, next fall could be even worse with a 2nd/3rd wave with a new mutation starting up.

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Get a bye??  They haven't played in 2 months.  I would hope everyone would be healthy.  It will take them 2-4 weeks to get ready to play.  Best case scenario is to start the post season by the end of June?  

Have they even settled on what the two "hub cities" will be?  

The Cup winner would have an asterisk.  

BYE through the first round. Supposedly, there will be a few games played between the BYE teams during the first round to help get them back into the flow. I don't care if they have an asterisk. A ring is a ring. They played most of the year. Playoffs would just be different.

35 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Get a bye??  They haven't played in 2 months.  I would hope everyone would be healthy.  It will take them 2-4 weeks to get ready to play.  Best case scenario is to start the post season by the end of June?  

Have they even settled on what the two "hub cities" will be?  

The Cup winner would have an asterisk.  

I wouldnt be surprised if Tampa or Miami are in the discussion. Desantis welcomed back professional sports last week and opened the arenas. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, What The F said:

I wouldnt be surprised if Tampa or Miami are in the discussion. Desantis welcomed back professional sports last week and opened the arenas. 

Going to be sloppy ice in June or July there. Not having fans will help though.

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Going to be sloppy anywhere on the east coast.  

I heard North Dakota weeks ago. Not a bad idea. Venue size doesn't matter if the stands are empty.

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Need to be able to have the hotels and amenities 

I'm sure they have them, but would they be OK staying in small Marriotts? 

The bye week isn't a real bye. We would play a short 3 game series with boston to determine who gets #1 seed, if we lose I think we get #4 or something

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhls-potential-post-season-will-challenge-teams-create-great-theatre/sn-amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Edit: this is a good way to get their feet under them, a low risk series where even if they lose they are still in the playoffs where other teams will be playing their first hockey games in a meaningful series that determines their playoff fates.

15 hours ago, devpool said:

The bye week isn't a real bye. We would play a short 3 game series with boston to determine who gets #1 seed, if we lose I think we get #4 or something

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhls-potential-post-season-will-challenge-teams-create-great-theatre/sn-amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Edit: this is a good way to get their feet under them, a low risk series where even if they lose they are still in the playoffs where other teams will be playing their first hockey games in a meaningful series that determines their playoff fates.

I agree...gets them back into the speed of things without having to worry too much. Yeah, the 1 seed would be great, but they aren't fighting for their lives like the other teams. The other teams are going to be shot off a carrier so to speak. They'll get a short camp and then fight for their lives, so they may be worn out come round 2. 

We're (likely) getting playoff hockey!!!

Reading that it will likely start at the end of july with 3 week camps starting beginning of july. Of course the earlier camps start the earlier the games can start, and the more rest they can get before next season. Still have to figure out where they're going to hold the games and such.

My assumption is they will sprinkle in extra periods of rest next season, maybe shortening the preseason. But if they go through with this it will be because the players wanted to and they will have agreed to have almost no rest between seasons. 

2 hours ago, devpool said:

We're (likely) getting playoff hockey!!!

Reading that it will likely start at the end of july with 3 week camps starting beginning of july. Of course the earlier camps start the earlier the games can start, and the more rest they can get before next season. Still have to figure out where they're going to hold the games and such.

My assumption is they will sprinkle in extra periods of rest next season, maybe shortening the preseason. But if they go through with this it will be because the players wanted to and they will have agreed to have almost no rest between seasons. 

I missed the part about starting the end of July....wow...literally no time almost until the start of next season. I thought they would rush it together with all the money they had and start the first of July. That's nuts...

2 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

I missed the part about starting the end of July....wow...literally no time almost until the start of next season. I thought they would rush it together with all the money they had and start the first of July. That's nuts...

There's a possibility they can start earlier but they need to find a place to hold the games and house the teams quickly. And seeing that it's the end of may  it's pretty unlikely.

My guess is that players are saying that they've had almost 3 months off, they're ready to play. I would think they go with an extremely shortened or completely cut off preseason.

8 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

Yep. It's official! We have hockey again!

That is not true!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

That is not true!

Yeah it is. They voted and it is agreed to.

"The Executive Board of the National Hockey League Players’ Association (NHLPA) has authorized further negotiations with the NHL on a 24-team return to play format to determine the winner of the 2020 Stanley Cup. Several details remain to be negotiated and an agreement on the format would still be subject to the parties reaching agreement on all issues relevant to resuming play."

• Like 1

Now have a lot of doubt that they pull this off. The EARLIEST teams can begin a 3 week camp is july 1st. Which means the earliest the play-in games can be is late july, so early August will be when the actual playoffs start. It'll take at least all of August and probably most of September to get through the entire playoffs, and then if they start next season at the regular time it'll be early october. At that point the final two teams may only have 2-3 weeks off before the new season. 

They can push the start of the season to november so next season would end in late june and then resume normal schedule for 2021-2022. This would likely give the final two teams at least a month off before kicking off the new season.

Phase 2 has to last all of June so they have a month to figure out which 2 cities they're going to throw everyone in, I think Vegas and Toronto would be good. 

At this point I would love to see playoff hockey but don't care either way if they decide to do this or not. This flyers team is good, it would be amazing if they went on a run and went to the final but I kinda don't want a deep run to hurt us going into next season.

• Like 1

The most recent proposal that looks likely is that the top 8 teams (4 from each conference) will play a first round 3 game round robin against each of the other top 3 teams in their conference to determine second round seeding while the other 16 teams play a five game series to determine who advances.

I really like that concept.  3 games is enough to get the timing back while the other teams are playing 5 game series.  

The best part of a round robin like that is that, like we discussed the other day, the flyers are in the best possible spot. A no risk tourney to get their legs under them. And even better, being the 4th seed means they can only go up in seeding so even if they lost every game it wouldn't affect their seeding 

• Like 1

One of the hub cities for the playoffs might be Pittsburgh. How awesome would it be if the flyers (even if no fans are there) we win the cup in Pittsburgh and skate with the cup and celebrate on their ice  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, devpool said:

The best part of a round robin like that is that, like we discussed the other day, the flyers are in the best possible spot. A no risk tourney to get their legs under them. And even better, being the 4th seed means they can only go up in seeding so even if they lost every game it wouldn't affect their seeding 

Yep. Flyers have the most to gain and the least to lose with this format. We just need the go-ahead for the season to resume. 

I’d love an update on the health of JVR, Myers, and Patrick.

3 hours ago, Blazehound said:

Yep. Flyers have the most to gain and the least to lose with this format. We just need the go-ahead for the season to resume. 

I’d love an update on the health of JVR, Myers, and Patrick.

Sam Carchidi was on 97.5 this morning and he said that he would be very surprised if the Flyers bring Patrick back for the rest of the season. Best case is next season. 

Forty-five years ago tonight since their last Stanley Cup. 

On 5/27/2020 at 6:16 PM, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Forty-five years ago tonight since their last Stanley Cup. 

Damn.  I think we often forget exactly how long it's been.  I was in kindergarten and my teacher was Mrs. Watson.  As in the mother of the Flyers duo Watson brothers.  That was the year we were denied the hat trick of 3 Cups in a row by the Canadiens.  I have a vague memory of her explaining how the Flyers lost and Cup was going back to Montreal and being very mad about it.  I was a good artist at a young age and drew a picture of Bobby Clarke playing and smiling and even drew his missing front teeth, which got a combination of amused and humourous reaction from my adult family.  It was one of the best pictures I had ever drawn, too.  

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 1:04 PM, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

One of the hub cities for the playoffs might be Pittsburgh. How awesome would it be if the flyers (even if no fans are there) we win the cup in Pittsburgh and skate with the cup and celebrate on their ice  

I want G to one-up TO and tea bag the center ice penguin logo on live TV.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1