Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Stayin Alive Stayin Alive

Captain F

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Didn’t hear that at all.  

Saw it being discussed on ESPN the other day. It’s one of the possible 10 cities they’d use. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/capitals/nhl-hub-cities-complete-list-possible-cities-league-will-return-play

On 6/3/2020 at 9:03 AM, 4for4EaglesNest said:

All is quiet on the NHL front.  Great they all agreed to the playoff format.  But here we sit and it's June.  I just don't see it.  

If basketball is a go, hockey will be too.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 10:03 PM, 4for4EaglesNest said:

All is quiet on the NHL front.  Great they all agreed to the playoff format.  But here we sit and it's June.  I just don't see it.  

The earliest they can do camps is july, that was put out in the video with bettman. Players are allowed to skate at team facilities right now. I also don't think it'll actually happen unless the players don't care about possibly getting only 2 weeks off between seasons.

20 hours ago, devpool said:

The earliest they can do camps is july, that was put out in the video with bettman. Players are allowed to skate at team facilities right now. I also don't think it'll actually happen unless the players don't care about possibly getting only 2 weeks off between seasons.

Idunno. They basically just got 3 months off, going on 4. 

6 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Also not true.  Not all teams are allowed and not all the players are allowed once the facilities are open.  

I don't see how this is going to happen.  Let's say the training camps open in 3 weeks, 100% teams and 100% players.  How long is the camps?  2 weeks?  That's 5 weeks out.  Which is the end of July, at the earliest.  More realistic is beginning of August.  As much as I want some sports.  I think the way this thing has gotten completely out of control, it will only take 1 player to test positive and the whole thing is shut down.  

All the players aren't allowed ar the facilities at once but they are all allowed to skate if the state allows it, which at this point is probably over half. The flyers definitely are allowed.

July 10th is the date the league wants to start formal training camps if they agree on the format 

4 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

So more than 3 weeks out.  My money is on it not happening.  

I agree. By the time the playoffs would end it would basically be time for next season to start. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, devpool said:

I agree. By the time the playoffs would end it would basically be time for next season to start. 

The league is already on the record saying the following regular season will be modified and/or pushed back. This wouldn’t be an impediment. 

42 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

The league is already on the record saying the following regular season will be modified and/or pushed back. This wouldn’t be an impediment. 

I would rather they didn't push it back, and modified likely means shortened and I definitely don't want that. We'll see what the players want, but I doubt they finish this season.

• 2 weeks later...

Oskar Lindblom skates with Flyers despite treatments

Six months after he was diagnosed with Ewing's sarcoma, a rare blood cancer, Philadelphia forward Oskar Lindblom practiced with teammates at the Flyers training facility on Tuesday.

Lindblom skated as part of the NHL's Phase 2 in its return to play program, which is voluntary sessions for small groups. The 23-year-old Lindblom is still receiving treatments at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.

"That's the only thing I'm waiting for right now, to be done with my chemo and be back with the team and play some hockey," Lindblom said in an interview after he skated, provided by the Flyers. "That would be unreal to get back to real life again, and have fun."

When the Flyers announced Lindblom's diagnosis in December, the team said he would miss the remainder of the 2019-20 season. In the interview after practice Tuesday, Lindblom hinted that he won't be able to play with Philadelphia when the NHL resumes this summer with a 24-team tournament.

"It's still tough to not be as good as you used to be when you're normal," Lindblom said. "But it's fun to be out there, fun to meet all of the boys again, skate around, get the feel of it."

Lindblom said his treatments are "going great" and he "can see the light at the end of the tunnel." Tuesday was Lindblom's first public appearance after showing up for the team's photo day in March.

"I'm trying to enjoy my life after this," Lindblom said. "I can't complain. People have it worse, and I'm happy to be where I am right now."

Lindblom was the Flyers' nominee this season for the Masterson Trophy, which is awarded annually to the NHL player who "best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to ice hockey." The NHL will announce the winner this summer.

Lindblom, a native of Galve Sweden, had 11 goals and seven assists in 30 games with the Flyers this season; he was tied with Travis Konecny for the team lead in goals at the time of the diagnosis.

He was selected by the Flyers 138th overall in 2014, and has 30 goals and 27 assists in 134 career games with Philadelphia.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29353542/oskar-lindblom-skates-flyers-treatments

• Like 3

Well the playoffs either have to happen now (or at least the play in round), or they're going to have to redo the draft lottery because one of the unnamed teams from the play in round won 1st overall.

Never mind, if the return to play doesn't happen the remaining teams will have a 1/8 shot at #1, and this being the NHL that means the penguins would get #1.

I have read about it and can't figure out for the life of me why this would happen. Talk about absolutely botched. 

On 6/25/2020 at 2:18 PM, MIRV Griffen said:

Even better news from Carchidi:

"Best news in a long time: Cancer treatments almost over, ⁦@NHLFlyers

⁩ left winger ⁦@oskarlindblom⁩ skates with teammates in Voorhees"

https://mobile.twitter.com/BroadStBull/status/1275568456080003074

Great news. I'm surprised he was allowed to be around the team with his treatments and Covid. I'd think he'd be a really high risk, but what do I know.

Also in less important news, Edmonton and Toronto look to be chosen as the  two hub cities for a potential playoff

Sorry for the delay, it's my first off day in a while with halfway decent weather I've been trying to make the most of it and don't have service off base :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2020 at 11:06 AM, What The F said:

Still seems crazy to me, but I'll watch. Also, that's awesome that they were able to extend the CBA. That actually might be the bigger news.

At this point I couldn’t care less about the format. I just miss sports in general. 

• Like 1

NBC Sports Philadelphia will air an exhibition match between the flyers and penguins at 4pm Eastern on 28 July

Are we Stanley Cup Champions* , yet?