Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Stick a fork in them.

Captain F

Flyers are playing pretty well so far, both teams look like they're pretty much back in the swing of things. Best part is we have meaningless games coming up and the penguins have the play in round. 

I'm torn on wanting the penguins to lose the play in round and wanting them to advance to the playoff. As much as I would love to see them miss the playoff, if they lose they are 100% going to get the 1st overall pick to replace crosby/Malkin as they get older and more injury prone

• Like 1

What a f***ing pass by konecny  and Laughton finishes it

• Like 2

Nice goal. Exhibition or not eff you Pens 

• Like 2

we should have a flyers Emoji :sad: not Phillies :furious:

• Thanks 1

Man, what a breath of fresh air that was.

It's like they never stopped 4 months ago.  Huge credit to AV and that staff.

Pumped in crowd noise was odd, but fine with me.  I think I heard therm say they will play some of the unique music/audio from each home team - like Peccccooooooo Power Play.  Should be good.

And I gotta say, of all 4 sports, I feel the NHL has the best chance of avoiding shutting back down due to covid.  I also agree with Jonesy that that this might be the toughest Cup to win.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

What a f***ing pass by konecny  and Laughton finishes it

Seriously.  That was a killer long range saucer pass by TK right on the tape and credit to Laughton for the goods hands to hold the puck and then flip it over the shoulder after getting the goalie to commit.  Even if it's just exhibition, it's always nice to stick it to those stinkin' Pens.  F them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Not sure if discussed.  But any thought about quality of ice?  I suspect there might be issues.  It’s hot and these rinks are going to get a ton of work now.  I know they have made advances in maintenance.   But I have wonder if there will be issues.  

Probably a benefit to the flyers. They’re not a particularly fast team to begin with, so a slow track might help them out.

53 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I’m not sure I agree with this.  They are certainly more fluid and have more speed than Flyers teams in the past.  

That's because Clarkey liked the big strong Canadian boys.  The muckers and the grinders.  He's a Flyers' legend as a player, but as an exec he was way late to the party when the game changed to speed.  And good thing Holmgren is the president and not the GM now, too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Not sure if discussed.  But any thought about quality of ice?  I suspect there might be issues.  It’s hot and these rinks are going to get a ton of work now.  I know they have made advances in maintenance.   But I have wonder if there will be issues.  

We haven't discussed in here but they did mention on the broadcast that the ice was a bit sloppy and that they're going to have to really work to keep it good enough for the entire run

1 hour ago, devpool said:

We haven't discussed in here but they did mention on the broadcast that the ice was a bit sloppy and that they're going to have to really work to keep it good enough for the entire run

I didn't hear anything about the ice.

9 hours ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

I didn't hear anything about the ice.

Towards the end of the game JJ and Jonesy were talking about it. I can see if I can rewatch in the NHL app but they 100% discussed it 

On 7/28/2020 at 8:18 PM, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yep.  This team isn’t that slow.  

Not only that I think they possess the puck and pass the puck better than they have in the last 5-6 years Especially from the defensemen. I remember after they lost to the Devils in the playoffs after beating the Penguins saying to myself they’re slow, they don’t pass the puck particularly well which affects their puck possession. their defense would have way too many turnovers to be a legitimate Stanley Cup contender

if You asked me today the next five years what team in Philadelphia I think is going to have the most success and be the most exciting I would say the Flyers. They have a bunch of young guys, a goalie for the first time in forever and they’re going to have some money to play with to even make it better. And there’s still guys like Morgan frost who haven’t contributed yet. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 11:06 AM, 4for4EaglesNest said:

It will definitely be an issue.  I used to drive a Zamboni for my local rink in Omaha and summer heat is very difficult to deal with as far as maintaining ice quality.   It's not as simple as pumping up the A/C to cool the rink.

• Like 1

I wonder if no fans in the arenas will help the ice stay cooler.  

After watching baseball, basketball and hockey the most aesthetically pleasing watch has clearly been hockey. The sound of the game and visuals were just better than the other two leagues. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

What about constant use?

High volume use, ESPECIALLY with pro skaters who beat the ice up unusually hard, definitely adds another wrinkle.  People think that you need to pour on more water to fix badly gouged ice, but that's actually not the case.  That just makes for soft, crappy ice that leads to poor/slow skating conditions and bouncing pucks.  That's mostly due to the fact that a large volume of water needs more time to hard freeze.  The way to fix high-volume use ice on short time is to *cut it deeper* with the blade to remove the damage and add a thin layer of water to rebuild it. 

Ideally, you'll have time to add a few *thin *coats of water before opening it back up, but that's not always possible and certainly not in the middle of a NHL game.   In that case, you can somewhat overbuild the ice ahead of time (not too much, or the refrigerant can't cool it sufficiently) so you can cut it deeper over many uses without making the ice too thin.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Makes sense.  Cool information.   Thanks.  

No problem.  A lot of new/inexperienced/simply bad Zam drivers try to just throw water at the problem and end up with a soft, warbled ice surface.  It makes me cringe when I see the Zamboni throwing huge arcs of water behind it at a minor league game or elsewhere.  Mine were rarely ever more than 4" high.  It took me a while to learn that a deeper cut is the better answer to fixing damaged ice by a long shot, and when done right, it looks like polished glass out there.  The catch is that if you only have one Zam, you may need to dump the shavings and come back out, as it fills the hopper a LOT faster as you cut significantly deeper.  With two Zams like you see in a pro game, it's a lot faster and you won't have to dump mid-cleaning.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 10:06 PM, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Empty arenas should help with cooling since the HVAC would then be oversized for the heat load without 20,000 fans in the building 

• Like 1

Path to the one seed starts today!  That said, all I’m really hoping is for the flyers to gel and figure out their lines for the playoff. Any seeding improvement on top of that is just gravy!

• Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 1:37 PM, greenskeeper said:

Empty arenas should help with cooling since the HVAC would then be oversized for the heat load without 20,000 fans in the building 

I don’t think that actually makes any difference in terms of the Ice.  Hockey Ice isn’t frozen by blowing cold air on it and having played hockey on nhl ice at wfc, you would be shocked at how hot and humid it is down there on the benches and ice, and the ice is always glass compared to the rivers we skate on at the local rinks 😆.  They can make ice outside when it’s 80 degrees and the sun is cooking.  They can surely keep this ice cold and hard enough.  As the zam guy above said though, nhl is hard on the ice. They likely have thought this through and built it up enough to shave it down a little as necessary.  I’m not super concerned with it.  I’ve been at Numberous men’s tournaments on the summer heat with 80 teams on the ice for 4 straight days from 7a-midnight.  Granted our ice is crap to begin with, but it was no worse at midnight than it was at 7a.  

Oskars Bartulis is low key one of my favorite former flyers even though he was pretty much a JAG. He's hilarious 

Boston seems to have more juice than Flyers in the first five minutes. Hoping we can weather the storm and counter.