Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Stayin Alive Stayin Alive

Captain F

On 3/13/2022 at 8:57 AM, EaglesRocker97 said:

And yet, somehow, we're still not in last place. It would figure that Flyers have possibly their worst season in franchise history and still not get the top lotto pick, lol.

Coyotes are really the worst team. They suck and they are about to play in a college arena next year that holds 5000 fans. 

59 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Coyotes are really the worst team. They suck and they are about to play in a college arena next year that holds 5000 fans. 

so then they could possibly sellout on a big night. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Alpha_TATEr said:

so then they could possibly sellout on a big night. 

I’m guessing they likely won’t sell out. I’d be surprised if they get to half capacity tbh. Welll asu is right there So a lot of drunk students so maybe 

• Haha 2

It wasn’t pretty, but the Flyers salvage a win for Giroux’s 1,000th and possibly last game on the team.  Good comeback late in the game.

I'm at least glad the won this one for G. Now, back to the losing, please.

#selltheteam

3 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Mackie Samoskevich.   Rolls right off the tongue.  

And the sides of a jersey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What an awful trade but I’m not a bit surprised . How do you give up more and receive less and it’s absolute garbage? Oh yea thanks Fletch. He needs to go this is pissing me off

A first a year later, a third and a guy who’s 23 and never really done anything at the NHL level. But when G basically says Florida is the only team he’ll accept a deal to it is what it is.  Also seems like a bid of a contracts dump as well.  Bad return, but also bad circumstances.

I think Chuck Fletcher is an oaf — but this deal doesn’t look bad at all if it’s as being reported 

Giroux is gone as a UFA after this season (which is already over in practical terms).  In return for an outgoing 34 year-old, the Flyers get a 23 year-old player who was a #10 overall pick in 2017, a 3rd round pick in 2023 and a 1st round pick in 2024.

Not a bad return at all actually.  It’ll be interesting to evaluate it in 3-4 years.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I think Chuck Fletcher is an oaf — but this deal doesn’t look bad at all if it’s as being reported 

Giroux is gone as a UFA after this season (which is already over in practical terms).  In return for an outgoing 34 year-old, the Flyers get a 23 year-old player who was a #10 overall pick in 2017, a 3rd round pick in 2023 and a 1st round pick in 2024.

Not a bad return at all actually.  It’ll be interesting to evaluate it in 3-4 years.

I agree.  It’s not a deal of immediate satisfaction, but it’s not a bad deal considering the contract conditions for G.

1 hour ago, Alphagrand said:

Tippett hasn’t done crap since he was drafted.  Terrible 

On 3/19/2022 at 9:58 PM, GoEagles5921 said:

Tippett hasn’t done crap since he was drafted.  Terrible 

Again, they were going to lose Giroux after the season without getting ANYTHING in return. That doesn’t exactly give them any leverage. 

Now if they had traded him 5 years ago like I was saying they should, they could have got some real value. 

8 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yeah.  Guy has Fed us the last 4 years...why not do it on the way out.  Rock bottom is what happens next year.  Then hopefully real change occurs.  

So take this with a huge grain of salt because the source is not the most reliable, however, according to the Snow the Goalie podcast, Giroux asked Fletcher for assurances he'd be coming back next season after his trade since he’s a FA in the off-season. When Fletcher said no, Giroux responded that he would only agree to waive his NMC for the Panthers, thereby tanking Fletchers leverage. If there is any semblance of truth to that, then Fletcher screwed up. 

UPDATE:  Giroux is denying this report. 

18 hours ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

So take this with a huge grain of salt because the source is not the most reliable, however, according to the Snow the Goalie podcast, Giroux asked Fletcher for assurances he'd be coming back next season after his trade since he’s a FA in the off-season. When Fletcher said no, Giroux responded that he would only agree to waive his NMC for the Panthers, thereby tanking Fletchers leverage. If there is any semblance of truth to that, then Fletcher screwed up. 

UPDATE:  Giroux is denying this report. 

That’s not how it works.  Folks who think the Flyers were in any position to get a premium return for Giroux need to study history of what teams get for guys on expiring contracts — Jarome Iginla, for example 

14 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

That’s not how it works.  Folks who think the Flyers were in any position to get a premium return for Giroux need to study history of what teams get for guys on expiring contracts — Jarome Iginla, for example 

Yes, being on an expiring contract weakens return, but the reports are that they had better offers from the Bruins and Avalanche. The Flyers can’t accept those deals, however, if Giroux doesn’t waive his no trade clause. If Giroux is only willing to be traded to one team, then that team has significantly more leverage against the flyers. If Giroux was willing to go to the Avalanche, for example, then Florida would have to beat the avalanches offer if they wanted Giroux. But because G wouldn’t go to Colorado, it doesn’t matter what they offered, because florida doesn’t need to beat it.

With that premise established, The rumor was that G told Fletcher he wanted to come back to the Flyers in the off-season. When Fletcher didn’t commit, G said fine then I will only waive my NMC for Florida, decreasing the leverage the Flyers had in the trade. This whole point is moot because G has rebutted this claim, but a the underlying point still stands. Having a player limit the options to only 1 team weakens the flyers leverage, weakening the return.  Would they have gotten significantly more, probably not, but the return likely would have been better if there was at least one or two other teams in the bidding war.

1 hour ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Yes, being on an expiring contract weakens return, but the reports are that they had better offers from the Bruins and Avalanche. The Flyers can’t accept those deals, however, if Giroux doesn’t waive his no trade clause. If Giroux is only willing to be traded to one team, then that team has significantly more leverage against the flyers. If Giroux was willing to go to the Avalanche, for example, then Florida would have to beat the avalanches offer if they wanted Giroux. But because G wouldn’t go to Colorado, it doesn’t matter what they offered, because florida doesn’t need to beat it.

With that premise established, The rumor was that G told Fletcher he wanted to come back to the Flyers in the off-season. When Fletcher didn’t commit, G said fine then I will only waive my NMC for Florida, decreasing the leverage the Flyers had in the trade. This whole point is moot because G has rebutted this claim, but a the underlying point still stands. Having a player limit the options to only 1 team weakens the flyers leverage, weakening the return.  Would they have gotten significantly more, probably not, but the return likely would have been better if there was at least one or two other teams in the bidding war.

Even if true, it's the exact same scenario as Iginla.  He gave the Flames only two teams to waive his no-trade clause -- BOS and PIT.  After the Flames brokered a trade with the Bruins, Iginla decided 'No; I'll only go to the Penguins'.  

That's the joy of giving out the NMC, which is very common in the NHL.

22 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

This Braun guy any good? 

He’s a decent defensive defensemen, bottom pairing type. No offense and not great in transition. Plays the PK well.

1 hour ago, Alphagrand said:

Even if true, it's the exact same scenario as Iginla.  He gave the Flames only two teams to waive his no-trade clause -- BOS and PIT.  After the Flames brokered a trade with the Bruins, Iginla decided 'No; I'll only go to the Penguins'.  

That's the joy of giving out the NMC, which is very common in the NHL.

The sheer stupidity of NHL GM's. There was no way that Giroux should have been handed a NTC, especially with that big, fat ridiculous 8 year contract that he got. Those NTC's should be used for the elite superstars- Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos, Kucherov, etc. Why guys like G and even more recently like Hayes get those added to their contracts is dumbfounding.