Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Eliminated.

Captain F

It'll be interesting to see who exactly is getting traded and the details. If they can get out of that Sanheim contract, that would be huge. Would St. Louis really take that 8-year contract on? Makes me wonder what crappy contract the Flyers will have to take back. This is the first time I've actually been excited about a Flyers offseason in a long time. Lol..

That is the problem with giving these guys NTC's. These idiot GM's like Fletcher hand those things out like candy and down the road, it could prevent a deal from going through. Absolutely ridiculous. 

Would be wild to get out of the sanheim contract but they can't retain any money there. They'll have him on the books for the entire contract which will hamper them once they switch to competitive mode in 4-5 years.

Hayes is done in 3 when they'll still be in rebuild mode.

Annoying that deangelo is going back  to carolina, likely for nothing. Fletcher can choke on a giant chode. 

If they deal Laughton I wouldn't expect them to ship konecny off, you can't have a team of 23 year olds with zero leadership. Who knows when coots and atkinson will play consistently again, if ever. I'd keep Laughton until the trade deadline unless a team really blew me away

I'm curious what injury-prone over the hill veterans the Flyers will be acquiring in this blockbuster.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I'm curious what injury-prone over the hill veterans the Flyers will be acquiring in this blockbuster.

Right?  I don’t understand the excitement lol these trades are salary dumps 

28 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

they can take bad contracts back as long as they expire by the time they are out of the rebuild or expiring contracts that can be moved at that particular time. Most of the excitement is more they can get off an 8 year deal with Travis sanheim where his NTC i believe kicks in next week. That deangelo trade looks even worse last year. Fletcher basically gave up a ridiculously stupid package of 4th rounder in 2022, lowest 3rd rounder in 2023 and a 2nd rounder in 2024 for him and now trading him back for basically a mod tier type prospect. Show you just how dumb the flyers were for not firing him then and starting this last year. 

• Like 1

Looks like the trade with the Blues fell apart.  Yawn 

1 hour ago, GoEagles5921 said:

It's exciting because both of those contracts were albatrosses, especially sanheim's, and will help the team acquire assets now that they'll have cap space to take other teams' bad contracts. You're not excited to get out of sanheims 8 YEAR deal?? Absolutely horrid and would have hampered us as we switched to competitive mode.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Looks like the trade with the Blues fell apart.  Yawn 

This is what I hate about sports reporting. Bunch of losers all week were saying "buckle up" about a super mega trade, then as soon as they get one little detail they start blasting it all over the place for 2 days straight. They clearly didn't hear the part about the NTC, because it would be stupid to be so confident in a deal getting done when there's an NTC involved. But everyone HAS to be first to break the news

• Like 1

18 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

Keep Sanheim, dump the rest.

Sanheim’s contract is fine if you believe he’s a top-pairing defenseman.  If not, then Fletcher strikes again.  Regardless, you’re stuck with that contract for at least 4-5 years so the Flyers had better hope he can handle top pairing ice time and responsibility.

I’ve always liked him, but time will tell if $6.25M per year will be an albatross or a value

1 hour ago, devpool said:

This is what I hate about sports reporting. Bunch of losers all week were saying "buckle up" about a super mega trade, then as soon as they get one little detail they start blasting it all over the place for 2 days straight. They clearly didn't hear the part about the NTC, because it would be stupid to be so confident in a deal getting done when there's an NTC involved. But everyone HAS to be first to break the news

Yeah, the next two years really don’t matter to the flyers in terms of having great Flexibility to sign FAs. Really you will take on contracts that are bad for the next 2-3 years so that when you’re coming out of the rebuild in year 3 to year 4 those contracts become expiring and can be dealt or they come off the books and now you have actual cap space for when you’re ready to start making big time moves to get yourself good players. So taking on bad contracts right now as long as they’re not like 5+ years is good if you are also acquiring prospects and picks. That’s why getting rid of sanheim’s 8 year contract for a bad contract on lesser amount of years with probably a pick/prospect is smart if you don’t believe he’s going to develop into being a top D pairing. 

37 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Keep Sanheim, dump the rest.

Sanheim’s contract is fine if you believe he’s a top-pairing defenseman.  If not, then Fletcher strikes again.  Regardless, you’re stuck with that contract for at least 4-5 years so the Flyers had better hope he can handle top pairing ice time and responsibility.

I’ve always liked him, but time will tell if $6.25M per year will be an albatross or a value

His contract is awful, he's going to be 35 getting paid 6.25. He's arguably not even worth that at his best, and especially given how he played last year under torts. He's a high end 2nd pairing dman, a middling first pair and isn't a PP stud. I don't think he's ever been close to being a legit first pairing option.

Fletcher most definitely struck again, absolutely terrible deal. To give that term, an NTC, AND overpaying, just atrocious.

Edit: sanheim isn't a young up and coming prospect anymore, he's 27 years old and in his prime. He's either reached, or is very close to reaching, his ceiling and that ceiling is not a high end first pairing IMO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, devpool said:

His contract is awful, he's going to be 35 getting paid 6.25. He's arguably not even worth that at his best, and especially given how he played last year under torts. He's a high end 2nd pairing dman, a middling first pair and isn't a PP stud. I don't think he's ever been close to being a legit first pairing option.

Fletcher most definitely struck again, absolutely terrible deal. To give that term, an NTC, AND overpaying, just atrocious.

Yep, another CF specialty. It would have been interesting to see what Sanheim would have gotten on the open market had he been an UFA. 

19 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Zero interest in Torrey Krug, AT ALL.  Thank God if he’s nixed a deal by invoking his NTC.  Bruins had him for his best years, dumped him when his decline started and now STL are looking to dump him.  Small guy whose stock depends on being a fast skater and QB on the PP.  Both skills are diminishing, fast.

Why do the Flyers always look to get older and more expensive as a trade return??

51 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Zero interest in Torrey Krug, AT ALL.  Thank God if he’s nixed a deal by invoking his NTC.  Bruins had him for his best years, dumped him when his decline started and now STL are looking to dump him.  Small guy whose stock depends on being a fast skater and QB on the PP.  Both skills are diminishing, fast.

Why do the Flyers always look to get older and more expensive as a trade return??

The team is not going to be good for the next 3-4 years, who cares? Their sole purpose right now is to acquire assets and get rid of contracts that are going to kill them when it's time to get serious.

1 hour ago, devpool said:

The team is not going to be good for the next 3-4 years, who cares? Their sole purpose right now is to acquire assets and get rid of contracts that are going to kill them when it's time to get serious.

So, you figure trading a 27 year-old defenseman who can play top 4 minutes for a 32 year-old who makes more money, contract runs until he’s 37 and can’t play top 4 minutes anymore gets that done?

You’ve got quite a haphazard strategy towards roster construction 

39 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

So, you figure trading a 27 year-old defenseman who can play top 4 minutes for a 32 year-old who makes more money, contract runs until he’s 37 and can’t play top 4 minutes anymore gets that done?

He isn't part of roster construction, that's what you're not getting. His contract ends 4 years before sanheim's. The team will still be bad, while sanheim would still be getting paid for another 4 years. In 2 years, his NTC turns into a modified NTC where he submits a 15 team no trade list. So you get him, hold him for 2 years and maybe you can flip him early. Sure sanheim could eat top 4 minutes, but not very well under torts as he showed last year. Not worth hanging onto him, by the time the team is ready to compete he's going to be 31 and starting his decline.

All this completely ignoring the fact that he isn't waiving his current NTC to come here anyway and the apparent play was to try and do another 3 team deal after that was discovered.

Report: Hurricanes’ Tony DeAngelo trade with Flyers ‘hits snag’

Translation — Hurricanes remembered that DeAngelo is an overpriced scumbag 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

5 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

You’re pointing out short term problems when everyone else is thinking long term. 

we take short crappy contracts to get out of the long crappy contracts, and in return we are getting draft picks, who will be ready when the short term crappy contracts go off the books. 

We aren’t doing anything for the next three to four years. The demon spawn of Yzerman and BriseBois couldn’t even manage this team into anything close to competitiveness in that time frame. 

26 minutes ago, Bill said:

You’re pointing out short term problems when everyone else is thinking long term. 

we take short crappy contracts to get out of the long crappy contracts, and in return we are getting draft picks, who will be ready when the short term crappy contracts go off the books. 

We aren’t doing anything for the next three to four years. The demon spawn of Yzerman and BriseBois couldn’t even manage this team into anything close to competitiveness in that time frame. 

You’re not getting out of Sanheim’s contract — it was just signed.  As I already said, if he’s in your top defense pairing the contract is fine.

Hayes is the crappy contract we’re discussing, and he has 3 years, $21.4M hit remaining.  You’re looking at trading that contract for an older player in Krug, who’s further past his prime, and has 4 years left at $26M.  That’s the crux of the trade Devpool thinks is wonderful.  What sense on earth does that make?

I think you guys see this as an NFL rebuild.  It isn’t.  The Flyers should not be bringing in ANY player on the wrong side of 30 years old.  Krug would be disastrous.  

Not sure why this plain logic is too fast for you guys, but I’m sorry common sense is lost on you.