Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Stayin Alive Stayin Alive

Captain F

I am ok with taking bonk but with Perrault on the board still I’d have gone him. His upside and where he fell too at 22 would have been enough for me to pull the trigger. 

10 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I am ok with taking bonk but with Perrault on the board still I’d have gone him. His upside and where he fell too at 22 would have been enough for me to pull the trigger. 

Bonk is a reach at 22. Everything I read had him 30+

The case against Bonk

All of this screams Marc-Edouard Vlasic, who the Sharks drafted in the second round of the 2005 draft at 35th overall. San Jose has a pick at 36. The team could hold off and hope that Bonk is available there. That's closer to the range that some evaluators have projected Bonk.

For example, Scott Wheeler of The Athletic has Bonk at 45th overall based on talent alone.

The biggest case against Bonk is that he is picked too high. He is expected to be a solid, middle-pairing defenseman and that's his floor and his ceiling. A team might overbuy if it is desperate to land an NHL caliber defenseman. The question is, will it be the Sharks that buy too high?

https://www.fearthefin.com/2023-nhl-draft-preview-oliver-bonk/

Just now, Diehardfan said:

Bonk is a reach at 22. Everything I read had him 30+

I’ve seen him ranked 22-35 range on different sites. I’d have gone Perrault. Kid was top 15 on almost every rankings. At 22 and being in a rebuild you just take the best player available 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’ve seen him ranked 22-35 range on different sites. I’d have gone Perrault. Kid was top 15 on almost every rankings. At 22 and being in a rebuild you just take the best player available 

Yeah....I don't get it. 

1 hour ago, Diehardfan said:

Yeah....I don't get it. 

They needed RHD, only one they had was attard. I don't mind it, although would have preferred Perrault 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, devpool said:

They needed RHD, only one they had was attard. I don't mind it, although would have preferred Perrault 

In a rebuild there isn't a need to reach a bit in the first round with someone high upside is there. One could be reliable but the other could be a big threat. I'd take the risk and develop Perrault who could be dynamic. 

33 minutes ago, devpool said:

in fairness the flyers need just about everything except goalie unless they deal hart at some point. 

like you i don’t mind it. I understood why they decided to go bonk. Personally I’d have taken Perraul cause i think he’s a better prospect and right now should be just about getting the best talent available. 

Heard an interview with Jody Shelley tonight while he was doing Predators radio.  He really likes the Michkov pick and thinks it could be an advantage to develop in the KHL because the Flyers are in a rebuild; might not be the best thing to have him play with a group of guys where most will be gone in 3 years.  The other really astute point someone else made was it’s very unlikely Michkov will ever have to play for Tortorella.  Michkov likely isn’t a guy who would thrive with that type of coach.

I read a few scouting reports predicting Bonk’s upside will be a 4/5 defenceman in the NHL.  Hard to get excited about that in a first round pick, but time will tell.  Difficult to project a ceiling on an 18 year-old.

I was hoping Oliver Moore would slide to 22.  POS Hawks might have gotten two really good NHL players tonight.  

Solid first round. Michkov like the pick. And who doesn't like a guy named Bonk. 

And then we draft another one….

could mean a hart trade is coming sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

And then we draft another one….

could mean a hart trade is coming sooner rather than later.

Yea I don't see the point of drafting 2 goalies in a row unless Hart is getting moved. Granted neither of these guys will be ready for 4-5 years but still two in a row makes you scratch your head 

40 minutes ago, devpool said:

Yea I don't see the point of drafting 2 goalies in a row unless Hart is getting moved. Granted neither of these guys will be ready for 4-5 years but still two in a row makes you scratch your head 

Also fedotov is may never come play for us 

11 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Also fedotov is may never come play for us 

He's supposedly going to be demobilized from the Russian military within the next couple of weeks.  It's possible that could clear his way to sign his NHL contract.

7 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

He's supposedly going to be demobilized from the Russian military within the next couple of weeks.  It's possible that could clear his way to sign his NHL contract.

Don’t see it happening this year if this article is accurate 

https://flyersnittygritty.com/reports-ivan-fedotov-will-return-to-play-for-cska-not-the-flyers/

24 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

https://flyersnittygritty.com/reports-ivan-fedotov-will-return-to-play-for-cska-not-the-flyers/

That's the risk, and it's also the issue I had with the Flyers using a top 10 pick on Michkov.  Potential to be great .... if he comes over.  It was a good sign he was at the draft and came on stage to put on the Flyers jersey, but it's not a done deal until he arrives.  

2 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Nobody has reported that except those two, so I'm inclined to take it with a grain of salt. They're on the lowest rung of beat writers, I doubt they have actual sources. See: this past week with the trade nonsense. Baskow was one of the ones saying "buckle up" all week cause his sources were sure the blues trade was a done deal. Apparently his source just happened to leave out the most important part of the trade, a player with an NTC.

I'm not saying he's outright wrong, but I'm not going to count on those reports 

7 minutes ago, devpool said:

Nobody has reported that except those two, so I'm inclined to take it with a grain of salt. They're on the lowest rung of beat writers, I doubt they have actual sources. See: this past week with the trade nonsense. Baskow was one of the ones saying "buckle up" all week cause his sources were sure the blues trade was a done deal. Apparently his source just happened to leave out the most important part of the trade, a player with an NTC.

I'm not saying he's outright wrong, but I'm not going to count on those reports 

I’d have to go listen to the interview on 975 fully on the radio but i think Jj and radio guys discussed him and i believe he said doesn’t see him coming over this year. Frankly needs to at some point. I didn’t realize he was already 26 

11 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

So there's a chance the Flyers can sign him for a RW position?

• Haha 3

On 6/29/2023 at 1:43 PM, devpool said:

Carpet bomb if you like them. Only need 1 to hit

More of these short term prove it deals Danny. Give yourself trade deadline ammunition. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 12:52 PM, 20Safety_Hazards said:

More of these short term prove it deals Danny. Give yourself trade deadline ammunition. 

Well my phone won't embed the tweet but they got another one. Marc Staal 1 year 1.1 mil. Trade deadline should be fun