Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Stayin Alive Stayin Alive

Captain F

Tweets are not embedding for me at all for some reason.

KHL is not yet registering Fedotov's contract with CSKA because he already signed his ELC with the Flyers. Interesting development, although one that likely will end up in CSKA's favor anyway.

On 7/3/2023 at 1:11 PM, devpool said:

Well my phone won't embed the tweet but they got another one. Marc Staal 1 year 1.1 mil. Trade deadline should be fun

Agreed. I saw a lot of people complaining online that Staal blocks a young guy but I imagine in February Staal is gone to a contender and we get the youth up late season. 

Poehling, Hathaway, and Staal are bottom roster bodies, nothing more.  Poehling was a draft bust in MTL and has already departed PIT, onto his third team in 6 seasons -- never even scored 10 goals as a first round pick.  Hathaway should be a fourth-liner.  Will be 32 years-old during the season without much upside.

Staal will be 37 during the season and likely brought in as a "Tortorella guy".  Torts will find out pretty quickly he doesn't resemble the player he had in 2013 anymore.  Can't see any of these guys being sought after at the trade deadline.

13 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Poehling, Hathaway, and Staal are bottom roster bodies, nothing more.  Poehling was a draft bust in MTL and has already departed PIT, onto his third team in 6 seasons -- never even scored 10 goals as a first round pick.  Hathaway should be a fourth-liner.  Will be 32 years-old during the season without much upside.

Staal will be 37 during the season and likely brought in as a "Tortorella guy".  Torts will find out pretty quickly he doesn't resemble the player he had in 2013 anymore.  Can't see any of these guys being sought after at the trade deadline.

And that's worst case scenario.  They suck, bring the team down, help our draft pick, and they are gone at the end of the year.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

Exactly, these guys are gonna be in spots you don't want kids playing in (how is a kid gonna develop playing 4th line minutes?). And that aside, as 20 stated they're all on short term deals so there's no real risk

I will add that Staal just played top 4 minutes for the Stanley cup runners up, I think that as long as he can eat top 4 minutes for the flyers a competing team will take him even with his numbers.

Couple of bridge deals for York and cates, both for two years. York at $1.6 AAV and Cates at $2.625 AAV. Assuming the flyers tried to go long term and neither guy wanted to commit since the cap is finally gonna go up the next couple years

Deangelo bought out instead of going back to carolina with 50% retained. Counts against the cap for this year and next and that's it

6 hours ago, devpool said:

Deangelo bought out instead of going back to carolina with 50% retained. Counts against the cap for this year and next and that's it

I want to know what happened with that supposed trade. Were the trade reports all BS or did Carolina just decide to backout? 

4 hours ago, vsptroops said:

I want to know what happened with that supposed trade. Were the trade reports all BS or did Carolina just decide to backout? 

I think Carolina is trying to get Karlsson so they backed out

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 7:38 PM, vsptroops said:

Because they went to arbitration with a RFA the flyers got an additional buyout window. Gives them more flexibility at the deadline because they have two slots for retention left. 

• Like 1

This team is loaded with average-at-best hockey players. They can keep shuffling the also-rans around all they want to generate discussion, but they won't be winning any Stanley Cups with this crew. In 2022-2023 they were sporting the 25th best goalie in the NHL. What a winning formula...

On 7/23/2023 at 10:10 AM, PoconoDon said:

This team is loaded with average-at-best hockey players. They can keep shuffling the also-rans around all they want to generate discussion, but they won't be winning any Stanley Cups with this crew. In 2022-2023 they were sporting the 25th best goalie in the NHL. What a winning formula...

They aren’t supposed to be winning a Stanley cup anytime soon

On 7/23/2023 at 4:10 AM, PoconoDon said:

That's kinda the point of a rebuild.....they've been saying it all offseason

Should have final clarity on the Fedtotov stuff soon. I don't think the flyers come out on top here but interesting it's taking this long 

• 2 weeks later...

The Hockey News put out an article this week on The Top 5 Flyers Fighters Of All Time:

1.  Dave Schultz

2.  Dave Brown

3.  Craig Berube

4.  Rick Tocchet

5.  Wayne Simmonds

This article was written by Ryan Quigley, who looks like he might be 30 years old -- probably wasn't watching hockey before 2000, so it's hard to take his list seriously.  The true era of ranking fighters in the NHL is from about 1975-2000 IMO; that's when it was important to have a tough team and important to win fights during a game.  My list of "best Flyers fighters" from that era would be:

1.  Behn Wilson -- best fighter in NHL history from that era.  Beat Gillies easily, beat Barry Beck, beat everyone else worth beating.  Never bloodied, never knocked down

2.  Dave Brown -- devastating left hand, won a lot of fights early ... although he was guilty sometimes of punching before the other guy knew there was a fight

3.  Craig Berube -- maybe most prolific fighter (?).  Very good enforcer for a long time, but was never the NHL's best

4.  Paul Holmgren -- Flyers main enforcer during the early 80s.  Could go toe-to-toe with Gillies, Playfair, Plett, etc., but also fought down to his competition

5.  Rick Tocchet -- fought above his weight class quite often and was seldom overmatched.  Had some great fights with Wendel Clark and the likes

That list leaves out some pretty top-tier guys -- Schultz, Dave Richter, Sandy McCarthy, Mel Bridgman, Donald Brashear, etc., etc., etc.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Any reasons to watch this season?

I like watching road games out west in places like Vegas, Los Angeles, Seattle, Vancouver, Edmonton, Denver, etc for the slice of life on the other side of the continent.  That may be it for me.