Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Eliminated.

Captain F

4 hours ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Any reasons to watch this season?

Now that they have embraced the rebuild, I'll definitely watch whenever they are on TV. I'll definitely be paying attention to the younger guys. I just want them to be a team that is hard to play against. I'm thinking if everything goes well, they can be Stanley cup contender status by the 2027-28 season. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

Stanley cup contender status by the 2027-28 season. 

<_<...Back to the Phillies Thread

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just looking at the Flyers roster -- that defense corps looks ugly.  Have to figure this Sean Walker gets gifted into the lineup every night, by default.

Ristolainen/Sanheim

Seeler/Walker

Staal/York

Not sure if any of those younger guys draw in as regulars.

Forwards I'm trying to fill in a top 9 for three useful lines:

Couturier-Farabee-Konecny

Laughton-Atkinson-Tippett

Frost-Allison-Cates

I'm sure I must be omitting some talent, somewhere.  Long season, me thinks.  

• 2 weeks later...

When do we trade Couturier vs when we should trade him? Hopefully it sooner rather than later so we can get the most value and tank properly to hopefully hit on 2-3 more future prospects.

3 hours ago, Khani1 said:

When do we trade Couturier vs when we should trade him? Hopefully it sooner rather than later so we can get the most value and tank properly to hopefully hit on 2-3 more future prospects.

I would be stunned if that happened. In order for something like that to have a chance, he would have to play a whole season to prove he is healthy. I also don't think the Flyers brass would want to trade a guy who they love, which is one of many reasons they should have got an outsider to oversee the rebuild- no attachments to certain players (although Comcast would certainly have a say in a trade like that). Plus, he has a NTC. 

1 minute ago, vsptroops said:

I would be stunned if that happened. In order for something like that to have a chance, he would have to play a whole season to prove he is healthy. I also don't think the Flyers brass would want to trade a guy who they love, which is one of many reasons they should have got an outsider to oversee the rebuild- no attachments to certain players (although Comcast would certainly have a say in a trade like that). Plus, he has a NTC. 

If they keep him for 2 more years, he will be Giroux part 2.  The contract looks good for now, so the value will be highest.  What's the point in having an older, slightly injury prone 33 year old when this team will just be starting its up trend?

1 hour ago, Khani1 said:

If they keep him for 2 more years, he will be Giroux part 2.  The contract looks good for now, so the value will be highest.  What's the point in having an older, slightly injury prone 33 year old when this team will just be starting its up trend?

You're preaching to the choir. If it was up to me, yeah I'd trade him, hopefully for good prospects. Heck, I would trade him for no prospects. I would be happy to just unload that contract. As I stated, it's not that easy. Ask yourself this- if you were a GM, how urgent would you be to trade for a center who not only has 6 more years on his contract with a high AAV, but has a lot of mileage on his body and who just missed an entire season for not 1, but 2 back surgeries? If I'm a GM, I'm not touching that contract with a 10-foot pole. Once again, Coots holds all the cards due to his NTC. If he wants to spend the rest of his career with the Flyers, there isn't anything they can do. We can all thank Chuck Fletcher for this. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

You're preaching to the choir. If it was up to me, yeah I'd trade him, hopefully for good prospects. Heck, I would trade him for no prospects. I would be happy to just unload that contract. As I stated, it's not that easy. Ask yourself this- if you were a GM, how urgent would you be to trade for a center who not only has 6 more years on his contract with a high AAV, but has a lot of mileage on his body and who just missed an entire season for not 1, but 2 back surgeries? If I'm a GM, I'm not touching that contract with a 10-foot pole. Once again, Coots holds all the cards due to his NTC. If he wants to spend the rest of his career with the Flyers, there isn't anything they can do. We can all thank Chuck Fletcher for this. 

You hope he stays healthy this year and starts to produce again. Depending on how desperate a win now team is, they might be able to trade him this deadline. If not, next off season should be the goal. I know he has a no trade clause but if you were him, at age 31, you want to wait around 4-5 years just to hope you have a Stanley cup contender built?

11 minutes ago, Khani1 said:

You hope he stays healthy this year and starts to produce again. Depending on how desperate a win now team is, they might be able to trade him this deadline. If not, next off season should be the goal. I know he has a no trade clause but if you were him, at age 31, you want to wait around 4-5 years just to hope you have a Stanley cup contender built?

Maybe, and I stress maybe, if he is performing and is injury free at the deadline, it's possible he could get moved. Again, I'm asking you- if you were a GM, would you trade prospects for an injury prone centerman who has an albatross contract in the "hopes" he stays healthy and produces? We mocked and ridiculed Chuck Fletcher for making moves like this. Ryan Elliss ring a bell? 

2 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

Maybe, and I stress maybe, if he is performing and is injury free at the deadline, it's possible he could get moved. Again, I'm asking you- if you were a GM, would you trade prospects for an injury prone centerman who has an albatross contract in the "hopes" he stays healthy and produces? We mocked and ridiculed Chuck Fletcher for making moves like this. Ryan Elliss ring a bell? 

Yes, I think if he stays healthy and produces, the league values him high enough to get good value of out of him. He is 31, not 35. Still has 2-3 prime years left. 

Just now, Khani1 said:

Yes, I think if he stays healthy and produces, the league values him high enough to get good value of out of him. He is 31, not 35. Still has 2-3 prime years left. 

Hey, I hope you're right. Now ask yourself this- would the Flyers front office (Comcast) want to or have the heart to trade him? I say no. Why? Because they will put their spin on it that he should be a career Flyer and he should be here to help the youngsters develop through this rebuild and it would be invaluable just to keep him for his leadership. 

6 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

Hey, I hope you're right. Now ask yourself this- would the Flyers front office (Comcast) want to or have the heart to trade him? I say no. Why? Because they will put their spin on it that he should be a career Flyer and he should be here to help the youngsters develop through this rebuild and it would be invaluable just to keep him for his leadership. 

No that I agree on. They won’t trade him until he is 33 and broken down. Get a nice 3rd or 4th round pick for him. 

• Like 1

No team is going to trade for coots, he's over 30 and missed an entire year because of back injuries. It's only going to get worse for him

• 2 weeks later...

Lost to an 0 - 10 team.

This 0 - 10 team gave up 20 goals in their previous two games. Flyer scored ............1 goal against this 0 - 10 team. 😬😬

• Haha 2

I was going to watch the game the other night but Friends re-runs were on so I watched that instead. And I hate Friends.

• Haha 1

I know there was some debate on here whether the Flyers should sign Carter Hart to a new deal and for how long. I say no. Along with the nagging groin injuries he's had over his short career, his back apparently locked up on him recently. Is this gonna be a reoccuring theme with him now? A goalie with back and groin problems. No thanks.