Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Stayin Alive Stayin Alive

Captain F

On 12/29/2023 at 10:49 PM, RoadToHell said:

Another SH goal for the Flyers. I believe that’s 9 already 

And Konechny has 4 of them, too

:offtopic:

US juniors just about to wrap up their quarterfinal game against Latvia leading 7-1 in the 3rd period.  Canada was knocked out today.  Not sure if the games are available anywhere in the US but if they are they are very much worth a look.  All of these kids on the ice in these games will be playing in the NHL (or just missing out) over the next couple of years.  US team has been really good the last 10 years and won a couple of times.

• Like 1

You see the amount of talent the Oilers have, and how they can sometimes score effortlessly like that 3rd period tonight, and you wonder why they aren't on the verge of a dynasty already with multiple Stanley Cups in the past 5 years.  They must really be a poorly-run organization that use their on-ice talent properly.

This team is headed back to earth, They don't have a superstar and not sure how they get one

3 hours ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

This team is headed back to earth, They don't have a superstar and not sure how they get one

The organization is hoping that Michkov and Gauthier turn into those superstars. Gauthier should be starting his Flyers career after their season ends in a couple of months and we already knew that it was going to take Michkov 3 seasons to fulfill his KHL contract before he could come over. Whether they turn into superstars is another conversation. Just gonna have to wait it out. They also have some contracts coming off the books over the next couple of years so that would help maybe entice a top line FA to maybe come here, assuming they are a much-improved team by then.

• Like 1

US/Finland in the World Juniors semi-final at 1:30pm today

Horrible loss :thumbdown:

Crashing back to earth. Was bound to happen for a fairly talentless roster and bad coach.

TK is a goal scorer.  Ship off Coots as soon as possible and get what you can for him.

US Juniors won the world championship 6-2

Damn good goalie drafted by the Red Wings

• Like 1

Good win today, glad I was wrong on the 10+ game losing streak 

Nice to get that win. TK still red hot 

I don't get to watch many due to the time difference but caught most of today's game.  Nice effort.

On 1/5/2024 at 4:23 PM, DrPhilly said:

US Juniors won the world championship 6-2

Damn good goalie drafted by the Red Wings

Do they watch junior tournaments in Sweden a lot?  I have some Canadian friends of the family that were telling me how the tournament was going, and junior hockey is obviously pretty big in general up there.

TK is on pace for like 42 goals and 75 points on the season. Next year is the last year of his contract so it'll be interesting to see what the Flyers do with him in the offseason. Do they trade him and get multiple 1st round picks (assuming he keeps up this level of play), or do they consider him part of their future and offer him an extension? He will be 27 I believe after the 24-25 season so an 8 year extension would put him around 35-36 years old.

13 hours ago, vsptroops said:

TK is on pace for like 42 goals and 75 points on the season. Next year is the last year of his contract so it'll be interesting to see what the Flyers do with him in the offseason. Do they trade him and get multiple 1st round picks (assuming he keeps up this level of play), or do they consider him part of their future and offer him an extension? He will be 27 I believe after the 24-25 season so an 8 year extension would put him around 35-36 years old.

Trade for picks and prospects. We’re not competing seriously anytime soon.

On 1/7/2024 at 5:09 AM, xzmattzx said:

Do they watch junior tournaments in Sweden a lot?  I have some Canadian friends of the family that were telling me how the tournament was going, and junior hockey is obviously pretty big in general up there.

The junior world championships are a big deal here each year over the Xmas period.  There are multiple games on tv each day and all the knockout games.

That's pretty much it though. Just that one tournament each year.  It has been nice for me since the US teams have been so good over the last ten years winning multiple times.

Sweden has its own pro league which is big though.  I don't follow it that closely but I usually get to a game a year or so and watch a bit of the playoffs.

Cutter traded to Anaheim. That really sucks! Apparently he didn’t want to play for the Flyers 

On 1/3/2024 at 5:32 PM, vsptroops said:

The organization is hoping that Michkov and Gauthier turn into those superstars. Gauthier should be starting his Flyers career after their season ends in a couple of months and we already knew that it was going to take Michkov 3 seasons to fulfill his KHL contract before he could come over. Whether they turn into superstars is another conversation. Just gonna have to wait it out. They also have some contracts coming off the books over the next couple of years so that would help maybe entice a top line FA to maybe come here, assuming they are a much-improved team by then.

Well there goes that plan :thumbdown:

Seriously does this crap happen anywhere else?

20 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Well there goes that plan :thumbdown:

Yep. According to Charlie O Connor, Briere and Jones went to Sweden to try and talk to Cutter but his family wouldn't even meet with them. He apparently soured on the team since last years world championship. There's also rumors Kevin Hayes got in his ear about the organization, but who knows how true that is. Welp, screw that guy. 

1 minute ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Seriously does this crap happen anywhere else?

Yeah, there a player recently that was drafted that only wanted to play for the Rangers. He was traded several times before eventually getting to NY. Forget his name though. 

5 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

The junior world championships are a big deal here each year over the Xmas period.  There are multiple games on tv each day and all the knockout games.

That's pretty much it though. Just that one tournament each year.  It has been nice for me since the US teams have been so good over the last ten years winning multiple times.

Sweden has its own pro league which is big though.  I don't follow it that closely but I usually get to a game a year or so and watch a bit of the playoffs.

That Swedish league has to be one of the best in Europe.  How does it compare to the KHL?

What team do you normally attend?  Do you own any team gear from a team over there?