Plenty of buzz building around Corey Clement’s comeback season

UK_EaglesFan89

Plenty of buzz building around Corey Clement’s comeback season

Corey Clement’s rookie season went about as well as anyone could have hoped. He made the Eagles’ roster as an undrafted rookie in his own backyard, worked his way into the rotation and eventually became one of the biggest heroes of Super Bowl LII. 

That was a long time ago. 

In the two years since, Clement has ended both seasons on Injured Reserve, needing surgeries on his knee and his shoulder. Even before his injury last year, Clement played in four games and got a total of three offensive snaps. This offseason, the Eagles didn’t tender him but brought him back on a veteran minimum contract. 

It has been a roller coaster. 

But there seems to be some growing buzz around Clement going into the 2020 season. 

On Sunday, Eagles starting running back Miles Sanders was asked about the Eagles’ quest to become a more explosive offense and on his own offered this about Clement :

Corey looks great. He looks explosive. He looks like Super Bowl Corey to me.

Yeah, that’ll get your attention — Super Bowl Corey. 

Because Super Bowl Corey was nothing short of spectacular. This is the guy who caught four passes for 100 yards and a touchdown in the biggest game of his life. Sanders was still at Penn State during Super Bowl LII, but Clement’s play in that game was seen by millions. 

Clement is still just 25. If he can get back to that, the Eagles have a pretty good stable of young and talented running backs. 

Sanders is the starter and the featured back as he enters his second season and Boston Scott earned his role in 2020 based on his success late in the 2019 season. After that, the Eagles don’t really have a lot to rely on. Clement is battling with Elijah Holyfield, Mike Warren and Adrian Killins for roster spots and possibly playing time. With his experience in the offense, Clement should definitely have an advantage. 

He’s got his ears pinned back,” running backs coach Duce Staley said recently. "He’s ready. He looks awesome, you can tell he’s been working. He wants to get back to the old Corey.

Even Clement in the spring said he wanted to get back to his rookie mindset, fighting for everything he gets. 

Staley remembered how in 2017 when Darren Sproles went down with injury, the Eagles simply plugged Clement into the rotation and kept things rolling toward Minnesota. That’s how good Clement was just a few years ago. 

Maybe those injuries have taken their toll on Clement. Maybe he’ll never get back to the peak he experienced as an undrafted rookie taking over in the Super Bowl. 

But if there’s a chance he can get back to that level, it’s certainly understandable why the buzz in the building keeps growing.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/corey-clement-buzz-2020-nfl-miles-sanders

I don't know why there's any excitement for Clement. This team would be best off if he doesn't make the roster. 

I don't know why there's any excitement for Clement. This team would be best off if he doesn't make the roster. 

I don’t know why you’d think that way.  I know you’ve been frustrated with the injuries and I know a lot of these offseason pieces tend to talk up players a bit (Dillard putting on 15 pounds of muscle, Douglas’ footwork looking amazing, etc), but if Clement can stay healthy (knock on wood), he’ll make a solid #3.  And he knows the offense well.  I’m pulling for him.  

12 hours ago, time2rock said:

I don't know why there's any excitement for Clement. This team would be best off if he doesn't make the roster. 

I don’t know why you’d think that way.  I know you’ve been frustrated with the injuries and I know a lot of these offseason pieces tend to talk up players a bit (Dillard putting on 15 pounds of muscle, Douglas’ footwork looking amazing, etc), but if Clement can stay healthy (knock on wood), he’ll make a solid #3.  And he knows the offense well.  I’m pulling for him.  

Because I sit in the camp that thinks 2017 was firmly a fluke. He's simply not that good. 

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Because I sit in the camp that thinks 2017 was firmly a fluke. He's simply not that good. 

See I don't think his performance was a fluke ... he got better and better as the season went on.  I think he was just a victim of multiple injuries that hampered his play.  I'm not saying I think he is a stud by any means, but I do think he is a solid rotational piece (when healthy).  That's always the catch with these players that deal with multiple injuries early in their careers and get the injury prone label attached to them.  I'm pulling for him to stay healthy (why wouldn't you want any of our own to remain healthy?) and give solid production from the #3 RB spot.  

5 hours ago, time2rock said:

See I don't think his performance was a fluke ... he got better and better as the season went on.  I think he was just a victim of multiple injuries that hampered his play.  I'm not saying I think he is a stud by any means, but I do think he is a solid rotational piece (when healthy).  That's always the catch with these players that deal with multiple injuries early in their careers and get the injury prone label attached to them.  I'm pulling for him to stay healthy (why wouldn't you want any of our own to remain healthy?) and give solid production from the #3 RB spot.  

I just think I'd rather we go a different route to see what we have in Warren or Holyfield. I just don't think Clement is very good and on top of that he has struggled with injuries the last two years so he's unreliable. 

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I didnt think clement was any good either. As a rookie in camp i saw nothing that warranted a roster spot then the season started and in very limited playing time he just kept making plays. He was an integral part of that super bowl team.

If he can get back to that level he can help the eagles win games.

Will he? I dont know but its promising that sanders and staley are optimistic he can!

11 hours ago, Utebird said:

I didnt think clement was any good either. As a rookie in camp i saw nothing that warranted a roster spot then the season started and in very limited playing time he just kept making plays. He was an integral part of that super bowl team.

I don't think we should get carried away... He was incredible in the SB. He was very good in the play offs but that could have just been a unique set of circumstances. I'm really just not convinced he's actually that good. 

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think we should get carried away... He was incredible in the SB. He was very good in the play offs but that could have just been a unique set of circumstances. I'm really just not convinced he's actually that good. 

I dont think any one is suggesting hes Nasty Nate😉 and i also tend to down play player hype as ive been burned far too often in the past, and i think Clement can contribute as the 3rd RB and on special teams and help the team win games. When he was healthy he was productive, if he can stay healthy i think he can contribute.

I think Sanders Scott and Clement are a solid group of backs and all 3 are versatile enough to contribute as runners, receivers, and blockers.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

In college and his rookie season...guy's a beast.  Then Super Bowl hero hangover and injuries.  If he's healthy like he was 3 years ago, he'll be a solid backup for sure.  People are all over Holyfield cause he's big and Killins is a Pumphrey remix.

10 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

In college and his rookie season...guy's a beast.  Then Super Bowl hero hangover and injuries.  If he's healthy like he was 3 years ago, he'll be a solid backup for sure.  People are all over Holyfield cause he's big and Killins is a Pumphrey remix.

I’m pulling for him, but more than anything I’m just pulling for one of the RBs to play rather well and separate themselves from the rest of the pack to earn that #3 spot.  It would be nice to have more of a bruiser to complement Sanders and Scott that could be used in short yardage and GL, but more than anything, just someone who is reliable and productive.  

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

🙄

If he truly comes back to Super Bowl form and stays that way. I can see amazing things from the backfield. 

On 8/14/2020 at 3:10 PM, pallidrone said:

🙄

Prove me wrong. 

6 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Prove me wrong. 

The only similarities between the two of them is that they are RBs.

On 8/13/2020 at 12:32 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I just think I'd rather we go a different route to see what we have in Warren or Holyfield. I just don't think Clement is very good and on top of that he has struggled with injuries the last two years so he's unreliable. 

He is good, his issue is solely injuries. He was a rookie in 2017 which he was a very productive player for us. 2018 he went out week 2 for the season. For some reason Doug never put him on IR and wasted a roster spot for him knowing he wouldn't play.  2019 he never played at all due to injuries. 

They key is can he stay healthy and is it worth the risk taking up a roster sport for him and possibly losing another RB to a different team we let go for him. 

I'm a Clement fan.  I think when healthy is an ideal 3rd back since he he's got the power and the pass catching skill to fill any role decently.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

He is good, his issue is solely injuries

We don't know that though. We have a very small sample which was during a year where everyone to a man stepped up and had pretty much the best year in their careers. 

And the injuries are a big issue. Having a RB as depth who can't stay healthy is an issue.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

We don't know that though. We have a very small sample which was during a year where everyone to a man stepped up and had pretty much the best year in their careers. 

And the injuries are a big issue. Having a RB as depth who can't stay healthy is an issue.

I know very well that he is good. Ive been watching this kid since HS. He grew up only 10 mins up the road in Glassboro NJ. Im right in Washington Twp/Williamstown which are both huge football school areas in South Jersey. He proved enough in 2017 that he fits this scheme and has the skills to be a good productive player in the NFL. Those who don't will break during even one season, esp a SB which he played very well. Yes its only one year but you have to go off what he played and that is the only tape in the NFL. 

If you read the second part, I do agree and really the whole post I wrote is basically saying his injuries are a issue, holding him back and is it even worth the risk keeping him knowing that? Me personally, Id give him the shot BUT on a very short leash. I would definitely be keeping 4 RBs. Now Eagles normally do anyways. Id keep Warren as the 4th since he is a similar style back to Clement. For what Corey in his only year playing showed its worth giving him the shot, esp since the contract is still cheap and no risk money wise. He gets injured or doesnt pan out his contract is up next year and you can even cut him with no loss during season. Not to mention vets will be very important this year more then ever. He knows the system and has the experience.  There is pretty much a no lose situation here. They will keep 4 RBs anyways. 

I don't think the talent is a question ... it is reliability from having dealt with so many injuries since the SB season.  I don't think it was a bad move to bring him back since he knows the offense well (which will be a huge advantage in a pandemic-shortened offseason), but obviously the scare of recurring injuries is concerning.  I think everyone is kinda on the same page here.  

Anyway, if it were me, if any of the other RBs even come close to matching him then I'd go with the other guy.  Problem is, there aren't going to be any preseason games by which to fully evaluate any of them.  You can bet they will carry a couple of RBs on the practice squad regardless (in the event Clement does make the final roster and ends up dealing with more injury setbacks or another RB makes it and struggles in any live action he may see).  

I'll always remember his long catch and run where he stiff-armed Patriots in a way that reflected how the team stiff-armed the Patriots as a whole.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Me personally, Id give him the shot BUT on a very short leash. I would definitely be keeping 4 RBs

If we had brought in Hyde or Freeman to be the number 2 then perhaps I'd feel a little more confident in Clement on the roster. But so far we haven't. To be honest we don't even know if Scott can be a legit #2. We think he can be but it is a very small sample size. Having a RB room of Scott (doubts over if he's a legit #2), Clement (2 back to back serious season ending injuries) and Warren (unknown quality) to back up Sanders is a major worry I think. 

Well you're going to have to learn to love it cuz right now those are the running backs we have on the roster. The only other two we have are also unknown and don't have much tape. So by the looks of it unless we bring in a veteran you're not going to be happy LOL

11 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Well you're going to have to learn to love it cuz right now those are the running backs we have on the roster. The only other two we have are also unknown and don't have much tape. So by the looks of it unless we bring in a veteran you're not going to be happy LOL

I don't have to learn to love it. Because I don't necessarily feel that great about the direction this team is heading right now. I don't have high hopes for this year that's for sure.