Impressive new coaches and more in Roob’s 10 Random Observations

UK_EaglesFan89

Impressive new coaches and more in Roob’s 10 Random Observations

Impressions of the new coaches, more Sidney Jones disappointment, a ridiculous Clay Harbor stat and lots more in this weekend’s Roob’s 10 Random Eagles Observations! 

(A Clay Harbor stat? Seriously?)

1. I can't imagine what special teams is going to look like if there is NFL football this fall, considering that’s the one area that teams can’t even try to replicate at practice. Without preseason games, it’s going to be really tough for GMs and coaches to figure out what special teams skills their younger players have and who really wants to totally commit to covering kickoffs or blocking on punt returns. Nobody runs full-speed live special teams drills. Eagles special teams coach Dave Fipp said he’s tried to make up for the lost preseason games by watching extra college film of some of the Eagles’ rookies to get a sense for what they do well. But when the Eagles open on Sept. 13 in Washington, there will be guys out there playing live special teams snaps who’ve never done it before. Fipp’s job is to get them ready … somehow.

2. If Jalen Reagor is what the Eagles think he is … imagine Carson Wentz dropping back and having DeSean Jackson, Zach Ertz, Dallas Goedert, Miles Sanders and Reagor to choose from? That's some serious weaponry. I wasn’t crazy about the Reagor pick back in April, but that’s all in the past and now I’m just stoked to see him play. 

3. Imagine if DeSean can stay healthy? I know it's a longshot. Only six receivers 30 or older have ever started 10 games in a season for the Eagles, and DeSean turns 34 in December. He doesn’t have to be a superstar anymore. Just two or three catches for 50 yards a game. Stretch the field. Make some plays. Keep defenses honest. Take some pressure off the young guys, especially early in the season. He looks fast, but he looked fast last year too and we all know what happened. Anything the Eagles get from D-Jack is a bonus. But it's fun to think about.

4. I’ve been super impressed with two of the key additions to the Eagles’ coaching staff - secondary coach Marquand Manuel and receivers coach Aaron Moorehead. After talking to both of them over the past week, they come across as smart, enthusiastic, prepared and terrific motivators. Both played in the league for a number of years, both bring an outside perspective and both seem to have connected quickly with their players despite the bizarre offseason. The Eagles have some intriguing young talent at receiver and defensive back. Looks like they may have two guys who can truly develop that talent. 

5. If Miles Sanders just repeats his 2019 numbers, he’ll have more scrimmage yards than anybody in Eagles history after two seasons. LeSean McCoy [2,617], DeSean Jackson [2,301] and Jordan Matthews [1,869] currently hold the top three spots. Sanders had 1,327 yards last year and needs 1,291 to pass Shady. That’s a lock.

6. Hard to believe Sidney Jones is hurt again. We don’t know what the injury is, all the Eagles will tell us is that it’s "lower body,” and that’s been the recurring issue with Sidney since he got here. He needs to get back quickly. Darius Slay, Avonte Maddox, Cre’Von LeBlanc and Nickell Robey-Coleman are locks for four roster spots, leaving Jones and Douglas competing for what will likely be the final spot. I really thought Sidney would challenge Maddox for CB2, but a week into camp Maddox is getting all the reps and Sidney hasn’t practiced since Tuesday. I’m starting to think his roster spot might be in jeopardy. 

7. The three-fastest offensive linemen in the Combine 40-yard dash drafted by the Eagles over the last 20 years according to Pro Football Reference are Lane Johnson [4.72], Jason Kelce [4.89] and Andre Dillard [4.96]. All are opening-day starters.

8. Want to win some money? Bet your friends they can’t name the 4th-round pick drafted by Howie Roseman who's started the most games in an Eagles uniform. Howie has drafted 13 players in the 4th round (not including this year’s draft), and they've started a TOTAL of 64 games for the Eagles. Only three have started more than six games. Who’s started the most? Would you believe Clay Harbor with 18? Maddox is at 15 and should pass Harbor this year. That will be exciting! Casey Matthews has also started 15. Seven of those 4th-round picks started one or no games for the Eagles.

9. If Carson Wentz throws 30 touchdown passes this year, he’ll have the 4th-most in NFL history by a quarterback through five seasons (behind Dan Marino, Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck). I say he throws 34.

10. The last seven Eagles head coaches have gotten another head coaching job after leaving Philly. The last one who didn’t is Ed Khayat, who coached here in 1971 and 1972. Dick Vermeil and Andy Reid won Super Bowls after leaving the Eagles. But check out the won-loss records of the others:

.688 … Andy Reid 77-35 [Chiefs] 
.517 … Dick Vermeil 66-62 [Rams, Chiefs]
.500 … Ray Rhodes 8-8 [Packers]
.375 … Buddy Ryan 12-20 [Cards]
.333 … Mike McCormack 13-26 [Colts, Seahawks]
.256 … Marion Campbell 11-32 [Falcons]
.125 … Chip Kelly 2-14 [49ers]
.125 … Rich Kotite 4-28 [Jets]

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/roobs-10-random-observations-aaron-moorehead-marquand-manuel-sidney-jones-clay-harbor

• Thanks 1