Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2020 Regular Season

1 minute ago, RLC said:

The Eagles GAIN cap space by trading Wentz under his current deal as of 2021. So yes, they could trade him. Not saying they will/should, but they could. A 195M cap would make that far more manageable. 

How so?  Isn't it a dead cap hit of over 70mil? 

I'm taking about trading him this off-season not after 2021.

28 minutes ago, RLC said:

They're about 65M over the cap with a 176M salary cap. If the cap goes up by 20M, that 65M becomes 45M. We have 23M in cap space to roll-over, so it becomes 22M over the cap for 2021. Cut Alshon/DSJ (13M) and that 22M becomes 9M. Small restructures for Slay/Hargrave can clear up 9M in cap space for 2021. 

You can't trade Ertz before the 2021 season to clear space. It has to be after if you want to trade him. 

I think your counting the roll over twice. Spotrac has there top 51 at 260M and 63M over the cap based on a 175M cap. That math doesn’t check out. But if you count the rollover and add it the 175M to come up with an adjusted cap number of 198M, then it makes sense. 

5 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

How so?  Isn't it a dead cap hit of over 70mil? 

I'm taking about trading him this off-season not after 2021.

In 2021, Wentz has a 34.6M cap hit.

If he's traded in 2021 (say, March), all his bonus proration accelerates onto the cap, but the Eagles are no longer responsible for any base salaries or roster bonuses. His remaining bonus proration is about 33.8M, so we'd gain around 800K in cap space. Of course, doing this would also mean we are no longer on the hook for anything in 2022 and beyond. 

I still think the team could get a 2nd for Wentz. Is a 2nd worth 33M in cap space? No, but Wentz may want to leave too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, austinfan said:

Thing is, the rebuild has begun, they just didn't announce it.

Sanders (23), Scott (25)

Fulgham (25), Reagor (21), Hightower (24), Watkins (22)

Goedert (23)

Mailata (23), Driscoll (23), Herbig (22), Dillard (25)

Barnett (24), Sweat (23), Ostman (25)

Edwards (24), Taylor (22), Bradley (23)

Wallace (23)

Now they need to continue this the next two years, bring in at least 10 young players a year and move out the over 30 veterans with bad contracts.

The question is whether they can do so and remain competitive.

The key is the lines, if you have solid lines on both sides of the ball you can live with young players playing fast and making mistakes.

The OL should be solid next year, with Dillard, Brooks and Lane back, and young OL with a year of experience.

The DL is the question, a lot of age and money, which is why Hargrave stepping up is key, allows Malik to be moved, but young DL is a priority.

Which is why I think a 1st rd WR is unlikely, the thinnest spots going forward are DL and DB.

Ostman?  🤣    Seriously, he's part of the rebuild?   0 snaps.

What you have there is a bunch names, not a bunch of 'players'.   Check the snap counts and include those next to the 'rebuild' title you just proclaimed.

Hightower has been relegated to the sidelines since Alshon came back.  Fulgham's snaps are now split with Alshon.  Watkins is inactive every week. 

The OL... nice and all, but unless they actually move to those guys, its not a rebuild.  They pulled Mailata for Peters.  Dillard has only played in a handful of games, because he was stuck behind Peters last year, and Herbig is riding the pine now (5 snaps)...behind Peters.  Driscoll looked like he might be a piece... but is injured now, and stuck in the infinite loop of injuries.  1 snap for him last week.  Moving forward, I'd LOVE to see the OL with Dillard - Driscoll - Seumalo - Herbig - Mailata... but I doubt that will happen.  and... many of them would be placeholders, not long term answers.

97723699_ScreenShot2020-12-06at11_17_47AM.png.d96d3729f8cb1e852d44e1981eee4022.png

Taylor and Bradley?  Are they getting snaps?  Not many.  

Wallace is a guy I was high on in the draft... but how many snaps are they giving him?

Against Seattle... Taylor, Bradley and Wallace got a TOTAL of 0 combined defensive snaps... ZERO.   

938150021_ScreenShot2020-12-06at11_14_26AM.png.8208bdc96fb184998d7c8a9bcbad7c37.png

How is that a 'rebuild'?   Sounds to me like they are just filling up roster spots, while they let the old guard continue to lead the team... to the worst season this team has suffered through since 2012.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Ostman?  🤣    Seriously, he's part of the rebuild?

What you have there is a bunch names, not a bunch of 'players'.   Check the snap counts and include those next to the 'rebuild' title you just proclaimed.

Hightower has been relegated to the sidelines since Alshon came back.  Fulgham's snaps are now split with Alshon.  Watkins is inactive every week. 

The OL... nice and all, but unless thay actually move to those guys, its not a rebuild.  They pulled Mailata for Peters.  Dillard has only played in a handful of games, because he was stuck behind Peters, Herbig is riding the pine now...behind Peters.  Driscoll looked like he might be a piece... but is injured now, and stuck in the infinite loop of injuries.   Moving forward, I'd LOVE to see the OL with Dillard - Driscoll - Seumalo - Herbig - Mailata... but I doubt that will happen.  and... many of them would be placeholders, not long term answers.

97723699_ScreenShot2020-12-06at11_17_47AM.png.d96d3729f8cb1e852d44e1981eee4022.png

Wallace is a guy I was high on in the draft... but how many snaps are they giving him?

Against Seattle... Taylor, Bradley and Wallace got a TOTAL of 0 combined defensive snaps... ZERO.   

938150021_ScreenShot2020-12-06at11_14_26AM.png.8208bdc96fb184998d7c8a9bcbad7c37.png

How is that a 'rebuild'?   Sounds to me like they are just filling up roster spots, while they let the old guard continue to lead the team... to the worst season this team has suffered through since 2012.

Hey welcome to where i was back in April. 

image.gif.b7c27870ac9e3a902d17e0eb8fc6c6c8.gif

1 hour ago, Asg 15 said:

If they fire Doug they had better fire Howie too otherwise it'll be the same ish show for years to come.

Yup.   They both need to go.    The relationship here isn't working.   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RLC said:

In 2021, Wentz has a 34.6M cap hit.

If he's traded in 2021 (say, March), all his bonus proration accelerates onto the cap, but the Eagles are no longer responsible for any base salaries or roster bonuses. His remaining bonus proration is about 33.8M, so we'd gain around 800K in cap space. Of course, doing this would also mean we are no longer on the hook for anything in 2022 and beyond. 

I still think the team could get a 2nd for Wentz. Is a 2nd worth 33M in cap space? No, but Wentz may want to leave too.

Wow.  Well, that's interesting. 

If Frank Reich offers a 1st, it would be a no-brainer, imo...especially if they decide to go "full rebuild" in the off-season.  Could end up being the best thing for Wentz' future as well.

53 minutes ago, RLC said:

This wouldn't "solve" the cap problems, but it would make it significantly more manageable. Cut Alshon/DSJ/Goodwin, restructure Slay/Hargrave and we're done before the season, allowing us to trade Ertz/Barnett should we want to. 

Absolutely... it would help so that they wouldn't be forced to just completely gut things, but the truth is that the Eagles are locked in for 2021 on some really big numbers for players who are not contributing right now.

But, if they really blow it up... other teams might be more willing to take on some money in return for trades to get the Eagles some extra cap flexibility moving forward.  Trading Lane Johnson at some point next season would be a good move, as crazy as it might sound, because his best years are behind him now.  By the time this team is ready to go and really compete again, he'll be finished.  Same with Slay, a guy that should still have a decent market and free up some more money moving forward.   My personal hope is that this team can hit rock bottom in 2021, but have pretty much a clean slate on the salary cap for 2022 and moving forward.

7 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Phillies trying to take over for most dysfunctional franchise in philly 

Unfortunately there's a "lot of chiefs" behind the scenes in that organization. 

Middleton is basically the spokesperson for the ownership group and I guess some of them are "in it" purely for investment reasons.  They lost a significant amount of money this past season from losing the fan attendance due to Covid, they probably don't want to continue to lose money so they likely could have voted to "shed salary" this off-season.  Not surprising, tbh.

1 minute ago, Ace Nova said:

Unfortunately there's a "lot of chiefs" behind the scenes in that organization. 

Middleton is basically the spokesperson for the ownership group and I guess some of them are "in it" purely for investment reasons.  They lost a significant amount of money this past season from losing the fan attendance due to Covid, they probably don't want to continue to lose money so they likely could have voted to "shed salary" this off-season.  Not surprising, tbh.

Honesty if they didn’t F up an entire 6-7 year rebuild they probably don’t have to worry nearly as much about shedding salary. Considering they botched it so bad they were basically forced to spend money on FAs to fill in gaps. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Karma for the overhyped POS

Clowney... injured again.   Color me shocked.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Karma for the overhyped POS

Only 4 months to go before some posters here start banging the table for him again 

5 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Phillies trying to take over for most dysfunctional franchise in philly 

If the goal is to free up money and rebuild, just trade Nola instead of Wheeler.  It will have the same crippling effect on the starting rotation, move the team from .500 to losing 100+ games, but it will free up more money and fetch a better return.  

Why ruin the team in a half-arse fashion?  Just go full-bore

• Sad 1

Just now, Alphagrand said:

If the goal is to free up money and rebuild, just trade Nola instead of Wheeler.  It will have the same crippling effect on the starting rotation, move the team from .500 to losing 100+ games, but it will free up more money and fetch a better return.  

Why ruin the team in a half-arse fashion?  Just go full-bore

Probably cause the Phillies still have no clue what they are doing as they still haven’t figured out their FO 2+ months after the season and somehow mcphailure and klentak still have jobs in the organization. 

7 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Only 4 months to go before some posters here start banging the table for him again 

Not me.  Clowney can stay where he is as far as I am concerned.  Decent player but "dirty hits" against our QB's two years in a row.  I'll pass.

17 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Hey welcome to where i was back in April. 

image.gif.b7c27870ac9e3a902d17e0eb8fc6c6c8.gif

I mean, its one thing to say that the team has some young talented players... but altogether different to call it an unannounced rebuild, if the players that are supposed to be the future are not playing.  Ostman - 0 snaps.  Taylor - 0 snaps.  Bradley - 0 snaps.  Wallace - 0 snaps.  Driscoll - 1 snap.  Herbig - 5 snaps.  Dillard - 0 snaps all year... limited last year.  Watkins - 0 snaps.     So, that list includes 8 players that average less than 1 snap each.   And then there's Fulgham - decreased snaps from where we were weeks ago, because Alshon Jeffery is back.   How is it a rebuild if you are throwing out Peters and Alshon Jeffery week after week?   Afan twists himself into some interesting shapes... but this one is a lu-lu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RLC said:

You can't trade Ertz before the 2021 season to clear space. It has to be after if you want to trade him. 

Can you elaborate on this? I must be missing something his contract.

36 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Ostman?  🤣    Seriously, he's part of the rebuild?   0 snaps.

The OL... nice and all, but unless they actually move to those guys, its not a rebuild.  They pulled Mailata for Peters.  Dillard has only played in a handful of games, because he was stuck behind Peters last year, and Herbig is riding the pine now (5 snaps)...behind Peters.  Driscoll looked like he might be a piece... but is injured now, and stuck in the infinite loop of injuries.  1 snap for him last week.  Moving forward, I'd LOVE to see the OL with Dillard - Driscoll - Seumalo - Herbig - Mailata... but I doubt that will happen.  and... many of them would be placeholders, not long term answers.

One thumb up for the post, one more for the Dillard/Driscoll/Seumalo/Herbig/Mailata OL suggestion.

Any one that actually thinks the Eagles will move on from Wentz after this season is just brain dead and is using their own feelings over common sense. I dont care what everyones reasons are. Lurie will not move on from Wentz after this season. You have a better chance that Lurie comes out of the closet during his end of year press conference. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

One thumb up for the post, one more for the Dillard/Driscoll/Seumalo/Herbig/Mailata OL suggestion.

It wouldn't be a great OL, and it would only make sense if they traded Brooks and Johnson (if there was even a market) and Kelce retired.   Johnson would only be tradable after June 1 to actually lower the hit, and then his final cap hit would be for 2022 season. 

But, this would only make sense with a new GM & coaching staff coming in and just cleaning house and starting fresh.  And like I said, it would mean truly hitting rock bottom in 2021.