T-1000

Carson Wentz discussion: no new topics about Wentz.

5 hours ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Or the guy just was a bad quarterback. 

If you look at his entire body of work throughout his pro career, 2020 was really an outlier.  The bigger concern coming into last season was injuries.

• Like 2

I need to stop buying jerseys for players that don’t stick around with the team. DJax, McCoy, and Wentz.

Time for a Dawkins jersey. Can’t fail at that.

• Like 3

On 2/19/2021 at 10:30 AM, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I think the combo of a meddling Lurie and a flailing Howie spells disaster.   The past few offseasons show us what the two of them can do, when unchecked.

And who is going to check Lurie? There's no board of directors or anything like that.

54 minutes ago, Procus said:

If you look at his entire body of work throughout his pro career, 2020 was really an outlier.  The bigger concern coming into last season was injuries.

I’d say if there’s an "outlier” it’s 2017. Outside of that season his career is pretty meh.

Id agree that the BIGGEST concern going into 2020 was injuries, but there were plenty of other major red flags with him. His poor mechanics, leading to poor accuracy, which only seemed to get worse and never better since 2017 was a major issue. His holding the ball too long in the pocket and the fumbling also a big issue he has had throughout his career. 

Since the ACL injury he has never been quite the athlete that he was before. His athleticism was able to cover up a lot of the flaws in his game, but not so much anymore. 

31 minutes ago, Devaster said:

I need to stop buying jerseys for players that don’t stick around with the team. DJax, McCoy, and Wentz.

I’m not a big jersey guy, but I definitely would never get a current player. If I bought one it would have to be a classic. Dawkins, Reggie, Cunningham, Carmichael, etc. 

23 hours ago, Procus said:

My theory on Wentz' break with the organization goes to the year 2020 during the riots this summer.  If you remember, pro locker rooms became a cauldron for social justice.

Let's face it, Wentz is not the poster boy sjw.  Guy has Republican written all over his face.  We saw what happened to Drew Brees.  Wentz didn't have the stature of Brees.  I would think that a large chunk of the locker room gravitated away from him and made his life miserable.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were any outlandish threats that we didn't hear about.

People can forget how crazy last June and its aftermath got.

🙄

Complete nonsense. Regardless of what your brand of media overlord tells you not everything is political.

The more likely situation is that he is a small town guy, that went to a small town college who was used to being the man. He came to a big city team in Philly and did not know how to cope with it.

Once Foles won the Super Bowl and won over the locker room and Wentz continued to get hurt - he just could not ever gain their trust. Doug probably did not help the situation by coddling the veterans as well.

It was just a bad situation all the way around.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Devaster said:

I own Dawk, Randall, Westbrook. Only current player I own is Kelce. 

2 hours ago, EagleVA said:

A lot of his runs at Alabama were call runs. 

I can't stand coaches that want to use their QB as a RB. 

From my perspective the only times a QB should run the ball are on QB sneaks, pass plays when it's the QB's decision, or a surprise QB run.  When there are called QB runs on 25% or more of the plays you have an OC that you need to get rid of. 

Or you need a real QB.  

35 minutes ago, nipples said:

I’d say if there’s an "outlier” it’s 2017. Outside of that season his career is pretty meh.

Id agree that the BIGGEST concern going into 2020 was injuries, but there were plenty of other major red flags with him. His poor mechanics, leading to poor accuracy, which only seemed to get worse and never better since 2017 was a major issue. His holding the ball too long in the pocket and the fumbling also a big issue he has had throughout his career. 

Since the ACL injury he has never been quite the athlete that he was before. His athleticism was able to cover up a lot of the flaws in his game, but not so much anymore. 

If 2017 is an outlier, then so is 2020.  Cut the statistical anomalies, if that's what you want.  Those two offset each other.

Just now, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

If 2017 is an outlier, then so is 2020.  

Yeah I'd say there's an argument to be had. I mean I would also say that Wentz has been declining since 2017 but you have a fair argument. So if we remove 2017 and 2020 what do we have? A slightly above average QB.

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I'd say there's an argument to be had. I mean I would also say that Wentz has been declining since 2017 but you have a fair argument. So if we remove 2017 and 2020 what do we have? A slightly above average QB.

Thats a debate.  He set several team records in that period and the team went to the playoffs twice (including the ACL recovery/back year with Foles closing).    

2 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Thats a debate.  He set several team records in that period and the team went to the playoffs twice (including the ACL recovery/back year with Foles closing).    

2018 Wentz was pretty average. The stats suggest he was decent but the performances were not good. Foles came in and the team rallied that year. The play off run happened once Wentz was placed on IR.

23 hours ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

I will bet $$ it's gonna have God in it...

What's wrong wit dat?

19 hours ago, nipples said:

I’m not a big jersey guy, 

Same here, I've never purchased anything other than a t-shirt, I just can't get into wearing someone else's name on my back, I think it's kinda dorky.

19 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

What's wrong wit dat?

I was being sarcastic. The reports coming out over and over and stories about this guy being such a egotistical mess and disrespectful yet he is always bringing up bible versus's and God. Kind of hypocritical imo.

37 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Honestly, who cares if he set team records? For one, we don’t exactly root for a team with a particularly good history of QB play. Cunningham was good for a few years, McNabb was good but not great... Jaws was decent but definitely not great. 

On top of that, it is a COMPLETELY different league now than it was even 15 years ago. Way more skewed in favor of offenses and in particular the passing game. It is way easier to accumulate passing stats now than it used to be.  Not even close. 

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

I own Dawk, Randall, Westbrook. Only current player I own is Kelce. 

Got a 08 Pro bowl Westbrook and 09 pro bowl Dawkins that I  hang in my bedroom. Never wore. Also an alternate McNabb I used to wear but since retired and hung in the room as well. 

8 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

So did Wentz and Doug stop talking before the benching or only after? 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/adam-schefter-details-carson-wentz-150325601.html

we have Carson and Doug not talking for weeks on end. A season where the head coach and quarterback are not talking for 8, 9, 10 weeks, whatever it may be?"

But he’s such a great teammate....

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

I was being sarcastic. The reports coming out over and over and stories about this guy being such a egotistical mess and disrespectful yet he is always bringing up bible versus's and God. Kind of hypocritical imo.

One of the most basic beliefs in Christianity is that we are all flawed and make mistakes. Believing in God and quoting the Bible doesn't mean someone is perfect and handles every situation well. 

These athletes are in their 20s and go from college to being millionaires with sponsors, media attention and fans that dissect their every move. 

If you believe the reports, he could have handled the situation better. He needs to learn from this experience and be better. 

Everyone has mantras they believe in, values, principles or rules they try to follow whether religious or not. No one is perfect, we all make mistakes. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

One of the most basic beliefs in Christianity is that we are all flawed and make mistakes. Believing in God and quoting the Bible doesn't mean someone is perfect and handles every situation well. 

These athletes are in their 20s and go from college to being millionaires with sponsors, media attention and fans that dissect their every move. 

If you believe the reports, he could have handled the situation better. He needs to learn from this experience and be better. 

Everyone has mantras they believe in, values, principles or rules they try to follow whether religious or not. No one is perfect, we all make mistakes. 

But... isn't he the  ginger jesus? 

Ok, I show myself out.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Right, the Bible speaks of "babes in Christ", meaningthere's maturing in the faith, someone that's rather new to the faith are not going to conduct themselves like he's been in the faith for 40 years.

Moreover, non-believer love to call Christians hypocrites as though they should be perfect, I wonder how perfect they are and how many aspects of their lives where someone could  call them a hypocrite......damn hypocrites 🙂

19 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Right, the Bible speaks of "babes in Christ", meaningthere's maturing in the faith, someone that's rather new to the faith are not going to conduct themselves like he's been in the faith for 40 years.

Moreover, non-believer love to call Christians hypocrites as though they should be perfect, I wonder how perfect they are and how many aspects of their lives where someone could  call them a hypocrite......damn hypocrites 🙂

Definitely not stating because of his faith he should be perfect. But if half of these reports are true, it images him to be the polar opposite of christianity.

4 hours ago, Procus said:

That's what I've been saying too.  Many people have argued that 2017 was instead, but his overall performance in 2018 and 2019 was not nearly as bad as 2020. Not even close. I think Indy played their cards well in the trade and acquired a guy that will easily rebound from an off year. I think he'll be helped by the new setting and a fan base that at worst will be cautiously optimistic about his future. If he stays healthy, I'm confident we'll be getting that late 1st rd pick.