Carson Wentz discussion: no new topics about Wentz.

T-1000

His mechanics and footwork are atrocious. Year 5 and he still throws flat footed and off his back foot consistently. DP needs to have him in constant rollouts because he just isn’t comfortable inside the pocket and at this point he just never will be.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

Wentz had a pretty bad game for sure.  But why is it that we can't get through the offseason and week 1 without losing half our starters?

Time to get back to sleep schedules and smoothies. 

My observations tell me he’s crumbling under pressure, figuratively and literally.

his rookie year he looked like he was having so much fun and enjoyed the game. No one expected the Eagles to be good in 2016. Things were going great in 2017 and he was having fun and playing loose and enjoying the game. Then the injury, Foles, and the SB. All the talk about him being the guy the locker didn’t want, the big deal, all the injury talk, him not being in a playoff game and finishing it. Dudes crumbling, you can see it in the tantrums he throws after drives end badly. You can see it when he won’t give up on plays he should give up on. 

He has just always tried to make the big play even when it’s not there. And when he faces scrutiny, he finds himself in quick sand. 

I hate to say it, but I think he is mentally weak. When everything fires on all cylinders he will be great, but when they’re not, he is inconsistent.

5 hours ago, kiwieagle said:

He was not good today.

Actually he was very very good today up until 2 mins to go in the first half, then just sort of lost it. The 2 picks were a killer, missing Reagor on the deep ball, tacking the sack that led to the missed fg, missing Ward on the 3rd down before our 4th down attempt that ended in a sack. Just too many mistakes - one of those two plays is different and this game is different.

He didn’t have help - OL was bad, no running game whatsoever but his play in the 1st half put us in a position that we should have won but his mistakes were also what gave Washington life and kept us from putting them away.

He was good for that portion of the game where we're running the scripted plays, when we ran out of scripted plays the offense turned into a clown car.

If Nick Foles was eating those sacks where he basically carried on looking for the long bomb as his Right Guard hit him in the chest people would be turbo posting that this is why Foles will never be a franchise guy.

He isn't a terrible QB, but he's a lot more Joe Flacco than prime Aaron Rodgers, and he already won his one lucky ring.

My biggest concern is the knee injury in LA ruined Wentz in more ways than one. I’m not looking for a running QB, but prior, he was more apt to use his athleticism when needed and less so since. Further, he not only saw Foles finish the job he started, but one year later, Foles was on the verge of doing it again, and to this day, many are convinced we end up repeating if Alshon hangs on. If Wentz doesn’t have the mental toughness we hope he does, then I don’t see any way that doesn’t have a big time psychological impact on him. 

Wentz has some things to improve on, but he had no chance yesterday after WAS figured out the Oline scheme.  Its a different game with Lane, Brooks, and Dillard....and any semblence of a running game.  This team has a depth and experience problem that is going to kill this season.

I'll also add that the skill guys, including CW, seemed to run out of gas in the 3rd.  

15 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

My biggest concern is the knee injury in LA ruined Wentz in more ways than one. I’m not looking for a running QB, but prior, he was more apt to use his athleticism when needed and less so since. Further, he not only saw Foles finish the job he started, but one year later, Foles was on the verge of doing it again, and to this day, many are convinced we end up repeating if Alshon hangs on. If Wentz doesn’t have the mental toughness we hope he does, then I don’t see any way that doesn’t have a big time psychological impact on him. 

I think to go through what Wentz went through not once but twice has got to have impacted him in some way? I mean it just has to. I don't think any person could be that mentally tough that it doesn't. 

It’s not like he had a clean pocket to work today. The oline was down to backups and 3 rd stringers, the running game suffered even more without the starting rb. Eagles looked good until the skins figured out that they couldn’t run the ball and Dougie was dialing up the long ball. Recipe for disaster and that what it turned into.

Just now, Greenmteagle said:

It’s not like he had a clean pocket to work today. The oline was down to backups and 3 rd stringers, the running game suffered even more without the starting rb. Eagles looked good until the skins figured out that they couldn’t run the ball and Dougie was dialing up the long ball. Recipe for disaster and that what it turned into.

Surely behind a much weakened OL it should have been quick passes and 3 step drops not dialling up the deep ball. I do have to question Doug at times. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Surely behind a much weakened OL it should have been quick passes and 3 step drops not dialling up the deep ball. I do have to question Doug at times. 

It was brutal, like DP was trying to showcase his new speedsters. Can’t do that when there are protection issues. 

6 minutes ago, Greenmteagle said:

That's the right guy to look at.  Doug needs to own up to his part.

1 minute ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

That's the right guy to look at.  Doug needs to own up to his part.

For sure, the dbs knew they weren’t running the ball with success, they softened their coverage and they blitzed the inexperienced oline. A rookie and a 3rd year player that never played football before. Howie has not helped Carson in anyway shape or form either 

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think to go through what Wentz went through not once but twice has got to have impacted him in some way? I mean it just has to. I don't think any person could be that mentally tough that it doesn't. 

We’re two years removed from it all now. It’s time for Carson to put his big boy pants on. 

7 minutes ago, Greenmteagle said:

For sure, the dbs knew they weren’t running the ball with success, they softened their coverage and they blitzed the inexperienced oline. A rookie and a 3rd year player that never played football before. Howie has not helped Carson in anyway shape or form either 

Lots of QB's have played competent football behind wobbly offensive lines, elite QB's tend to have to because their salary takes so much of the cap the supporting cast suffers.

Also lets not pretend that some of those sacks didn't look pretty much identical to the dumb sacks he took last year behind his first string line, he holds the ball too long and clearly believes the smoke blown up his butt for a few lucky escapes from sacks earlier in his career.

This is getting like groundhog season, but while I'm not saying Carson is the biggest issue, its time to admit that he is an issue, its the same mistakes year on year, on some level that has to be his fault.

39 minutes ago, Greenmteagle said:

I'd love to blame Howie, but no one can account for this level of injury.  Losing 2 of the best in the league on that right side killed us.  And the Eagles only signed Peters out of desperation and he is manning the most important spot.  Its a mess.

49 minutes ago, Greenmteagle said:

It was brutal, like DP was trying to showcase his new speedsters. Can’t do that when there are protection issues. 

Complete naivety if you ask me. Made no sense and let's be honest we've been here before. 

37 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

We’re two years removed from it all now. It’s time for Carson to put his big boy pants on. 

I don't know about that... What I do know is if he can't overcome it (and it seems that he can't) then we have to move on. Hard as that is. 

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Complete naivety if you ask me. Made no sense and let's be honest we've been here before. 

I don't know about that... What I do know is if he can't overcome it (and it seems that he can't) then we have to move on. Hard as that is. 

That’s pretty much agreeing with me lol. 

3 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

That’s pretty much agreeing with me lol. 

Yeah I do agree with you... Im just saying it's a big thing for someone to have to overcome. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I do agree with you... Im just saying it's a big thing for someone to have to overcome. 

For a season perhaps, but eventually he has to move forward if he hasn’t already. 

8 hours ago, downundermike said:

They are not gonna take a 33 million dead cap hit to trade him.  Been watching the sacks, 5 the guy that sacked him had a free realease.

Some of the sacks were definitely on a breakdown in the OL (likely just not having developed any chemistry from the lack of continuity), but man that one he stared down Sweat all the way in coming off the right edge ... Carson looked like a deer in headlights.  He had PLENTY of time to unload the ball but froze - that was maddening to watch.  A few others he certainly had an opportunity to get rid of the ball to avoid taking the sack and losing the yardage but stubbornly held on to the ball.  Again, maddening.  

2 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

For a season perhaps, but eventually he has to move forward if he hasn’t already. 

And I think it's clear that he hasn't right? So I think we are approaching a very difficult decision. 

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Maybe Wentz isn't what we all hoped for but he's still a very good QB. Those INTs yesterday weren't completely on him. They were good plays made by the DB who was right next to the WR. And the majority of the sacks weren't his fault either. 

Yes we all want more from him and perhaps he's not going to be a top 5 QB like we all hoped and wanted. 

Personally I think they should trade him. Not because he's no good but because this team is no good. This team is light years away from being able to compete. It has holes all over. It is way over the cap and it's time to start fresh including the GM.

Actually, my first impression on both of the Int's were motherf'er.....Wentz, then in looking at the replays.....both were good plays by the DB, but.....both were thrown to rookie WR's that did not come back to the ball.  It really is easy to blame Wentz, but the WR's were mostly at fault on both Int's.  

50 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

He doesn't seem to have modified his style of play and stood in there under ridiculous pressure and horrible play calling yesterday.  I'd say he has his big boy pants on.

Just now, NYEagle said:

Actually, my first impression on both of the Int's were motherf'er.....Wentz, then in looking at the replays.....both were good plays by the DB, but.....both were thrown to rookie WR's that did not come back to the ball.  It really is easy to blame Wentz, but the WR's were mostly at fault on both Int's.  

My first reaction was the same. My second was the same. I actually think those are really good plays by the DBs. The first one certainly was a very good play and I'm not sure anyone could have done anything differently there. 

4 minutes ago, NYEagle said:

That's accurate, but it won't be a popular take.  

Archived