Lane Johnson says he’s going to play in Eagles’ Week 2 game against the Rams

UK_EaglesFan89

Lane Johnson says he’s going to play in Eagles’ Week 2 game against the Rams

Philadelphia’s starting right tackle is set to return.

Eagles starting right tackle Lane Johnson missed Philadelphia’s Week 1 game but he plans on playing against the Los Angeles Rams in Week 2. Johnson recently said as much in an interview with Derrick Gunn’s new podcast: Gunn On One.

DERRICK GUNN: Can we guarantee 100% that Lane Johnson will be out there against the Rams on Sunday?

LANE JOHNSON: I’m going to be out there, DGunn. I’m going to be out there, so, count on it.

Johnson was limited in practice last week and ruled questionable on the final injury report heading into the Eagles’ game against the Washington Football Team. He was reportedly "expected to try to play” but it didn’t work out and the Eagles had to start Jack Driscoll instead. Driscoll then had to leave the game early, leaving Philly down to their third string option in Jordan Mailata.

Getting Johnson back this week would obviously be a big deal for an Eagles offensive line that struggled in Week 1. Under Doug Pederson, the Eagles are 36-17 with Johnson and 6-12 without him.

One just has to wonder how close he is to 100% after having ankle surgery a couple weeks ago. Johnson talked more about his injury situation with Gunn.

DERRICK GUNN: I think a lot of people don’t understand that you played through much of last season with an ankle injury similar to this, didn’t you?

LANE JOHNSON: Yeah, so, I think the last two years has all kinda been leading up to this. It hadn’t really been 100% since I took a hit in Jacksonville [in 2018] and I took a hit last year against the Giants. So, kinda been on one leg for some time. Once I get the strength back, I’m ready to be a different player.

DERRICK GUNN: So why did you take so long to get this corrected then?

LANE JOHNSON: It was something that I was working with. I felt fine going into camp. It was one of those things in the scrimmage where it got nicked up and then had to be cleaned up. A lot of it is scar tissue in there from past injuries. Other guys go through the same process. You have to brave through that, rehab it up, and get your strength back, and once that happens you’ll be ready to go.

Crazy to see that Johnson has managed to play at such a high level despite being less than 100% over the past few seasons.

If Johnson’s able to play at right tackle this week, the Eagles might opt to shift Driscoll (assuming he’s healthy) to right guard. Or they could have Nate Herbig start there for the second game in a row.

We’ll also have to see how Johnson progresses in practice this week to truly believe he’s going to be ready. The Eagles will issue their first injury report on Wednesday.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2020/9/15/21437677/lane-johnson-injury-eagles-vs-rams-nfl-week-2-right-tackle-offensive-line-philadelphia-news-football

It'll be good to get Lane back... It certainly helps but I don't think it's going to fix the issues we have along the OL.

If Johnson’s able to play at right tackle this week, the Eagles might opt to shift Driscoll (assuming he’s healthy) to right guard. Or they could have Nate Herbig start there for the second game in a row.

Believe it or not, Herbig actually graded out as the best OL last Sunday (I'll see if I can find the link), so I don't think they'll bump him out for Driscoll.  It did look like Driscoll did a pretty good job at RT considering he is a late round rookie making his first career start (against a formidable Washington front no less).  

EDIT:

Found the link:

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/09/eagles-nate-herbig-starting-right-guard/

From what I saw, herbig and pryor did pretty well. I think they could be reasonable replacements this year and good back ups for the future. Driscoll did pretty well for a rookie so there is hope for him too. However, I think Peters was slow against the Redskins and herbig needed experience so carson may have been hurt for them to progress. 

They need to come clean on what is really going on w wentz - it may be an injury.