2023: Continued dead cap hell (Currently $54 Million)

paco

3 minutes ago, Procus said:

It's going to rise by $25 million, yes.

Yes, but all the cap space numbers for 2022 we are discussing are based on that number.  Just  making sure you do not think when we talk about 12.1 million in 2022 cap space, it is not 12.1 million plus 25 million.  It is 12.1 million.

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Yes, but all the cap space numbers for 2022 we are discussing are based on that number.  Just  making sure you do not think when we talk about 12.1 million in 2022 cap space, it is not 12.1 million plus 25 million.  It is 12.1 million.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

1) Lol saints

2) While we only have 12 million in space, we do have 53 players under contract (most of any team) which is nice

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

48 once you remove all the void year guys.

Good point, I didn't take that into consideration.  And their effective cap space is only 3 million, so it will be an interesting offseason to see the direction they go.  Please be quiet in FA

3 minutes ago, paco said:

Good point, I didn't take that into consideration.  And their effective cap space is only 3 million, so it will be an interesting offseason to see the direction they go.  Please be quiet in FA

They do currently have 24 million in 2021 space to roll over.

Just now, downundermike said:

They do currently have 24 million in 2021 space to roll over.

And 3 first rounders to sign :-) 

29 minutes ago, paco said:

If he chills out on spending this year AND listens to his scouts and has a solid draft, we could be in much better shape in 2023 despite the additional dead cap that got shifted there.

But what you said is exactly what got us in the position.  Pissing away draft picks for older, expensive players is what got us here.  He was trying to keep the window open but left the pantry bare. 

Maybe someone reached in the open window and stole everything in the pantry 🙂

Bottom line is that the 2022 Eagles won't be spending themselves into a playoff run.  Where this hurts most is inhibiting the ability of the team to extend young talent already on the roster.

Russell Wilson’s 2022 Cap number is 37 mil. Does anyone truly realize how much restructuring Howie would have to do just to get him under the cap not to mention the draft capital he would have to give up just to get him? People need to start recognizing this team would be making a mistake going down that path. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, paco said:

That's where he is getting the 25 million number from.  It was $182.5 in 2021 and $208.2 in 2022.  +$25.7 

I do hope they sign a veteran WR though. I don’t know if I want to see another Howie WR pick. 

10 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Russell Wilson’s 2022 Cap number is 37 mil. Does anyone truly realize how much restructuring Howie would have to do just to get him under the cap not to mention the draft capital he would have to give up just to get him? People need to start recognizing this team would be making a mistake going down that path. 

Cox for Wilson !!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, paco said:

And 3 first rounders to sign :-) 

That's one reason I don't think Howie would actually draft three 1st rounders.  I think he'll end up taking 2 picks.  He will either package to trade up, or use one to trade back into the 2nd round plus some other picks, or collect a future 1st in 2023.  Or, he may even trade for a player.  

Cap wise I hope they play free agency smart.  Get a veteran WR on a team-friendly deal, maybe a 2 year deal.  They don't need to overpay for a top WR, but someone capable across from Smith.  Maybe some depth players but save money for the 1st round picks and extending their own players as needed.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, NOTW said:

That's one reason I don't think Howie would actually draft three 1st rounders.  I think he'll end up taking 2 picks.  He will either package to trade up, or use one to trade back into the 2nd round plus some other picks, or collect a future 1st in 2023.  Or, he may even trade for a player.  

Cap wise I hope they play free agency smart.  Get a veteran WR on a team-friendly deal, maybe a 2 year deal.  They don't need to overpay for a top WR, but someone capable across from Smith.  Maybe some depth players but save money for the 1st round picks and extending their own players as needed.

The idea of trading back and picking up an extra first or second for 2023 makes perfect sense for a lot of reasons if Howie can pull it off.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, paco said:

I'm with you - the team isn't that good anyway, they should take the medicine for a year and get set for the future. I wish there are no more voidable years and converting veteran salaries to bonuses which makes them harder to cut in a year or two this year. 

But you just know Howie wont be able to help himself. Slay and Hargrave are prime candidates to have their salary converted to bonuses. Brooks may well get cut but god that dead cap number on him is just ugly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Can't see them using much cap for FA

They will have to spend wisely. I'd say they need as a minimum in free agency, at least 1 safety, a corner and a number 2 WR.

2 minutes ago, kiwieagle said:

I'm with you - the team isn't that good anyway, they should take the medicine for a year and get set for the future. I wish there are no more voidable years and converting veteran salaries to bonuses which makes them harder to cut in a year or two this year. 

But you just know Howie wont be able to help himself. Slay and Hargrave are prime candidates to have their salary converted to bonuses. Brooks may well get cut but god that dead cap number on him is just ugly.

How in the world people expect us to somehow fit Wilson's 37 million or Watson's 40 million cap hit in is beyond me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Cox for Wilson !!!!

That dude has zero trade value anymore. 

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

It's 37 million for Seattle. 

But if they trade him, they are on the hook for his prorated bonus (26 million). So in theory,  if we traded for him it would be (I think, assuming I am reading this right) 24 million for us.  19 million if his roster bonus kicks in while with Seattle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

yup

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

The idea of trading back and picking up an extra first or second for 2023 makes perfect sense for a lot of reasons if Howie can pull it off.

yup

On 9/21/2020 at 8:31 AM, toughfighter83 said:

howie threw money at the wrong players and that's going to hurt us for a long time, pats were successful because they didnt overpay for anyone.

The Pats were successful because they had Brady, not to mention a great coach.

• Like 2

I understand we are currently discussing the dead cap situation instead of available cap space. So I'm curious ... What exactly is the average dead cap amount for teams by year for the last few years? I'd just like to compare our amount to NFL averages. I would imagine that we exceed the average this year (and probably last year), but I'd like to know by how much because every team has some dead cap. 

15 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

They will have to spend wisely. I'd say they need as a minimum in free agency, at least 1 safety, a corner and a number 2 WR.

I agree. Spend the money on a legit wr. 1 year cheap deals on s and cb