Penei Sewell (Oregon OT) -- DRAFTED BY DETROIT #7

Godfather

1 hour ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

No chance Juju comes here to much $$, Raiders supposedly are prepared to offer 14 million and the Jets are already projected to offer him 17 million a year to come play with Darnold if Pittsburgh doesnt try to retain him. Both Sewel and Juju will be Jets imo.

Yeah, quite possible. However if there is one thing I have faith in Roseman is getting out of Cap issues in no time. If he clears lots of space in time, maybe they may go for it. That would be a pretty young and potent offense with JUJU. Lets see what happens..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

Yeah, quite possible. However if there is one thing I have faith in Roseman is getting out of Cap issues in no time. If he clears lots of space in time, maybe they may go for it. That would be a pretty young and potent offense with JUJU. Lets see what happens..

They would have to get about 20 million in cap space to sign juju and the draft picks. That would leave just the draft to fill TE 2, QB 2 and 3, depth in the interior oline, depth for the entire defensive line, 1 or 2 linebackers, 1 or 2 Safetys and 1 or 2 Corners. No chance bud. Howie will be bargain shopping for middle and lower level free agents this year. Just too many holes.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

They would have to get about 20 million in cap space to sign juju and the draft picks. That would leave just the draft to fill TE 2, QB 2 and 3, depth in the interior oline, depth for the entire defensive line, 1 or 2 linebackers, 1 or 2 Safetys and 1 or 2 Corners. No chance bud. Howie will be bargain shopping for middle and lower level free agents this year. Just too many holes.

Exactly ... 2021 is not the year to think about any splashes in free agency.  2021 is a year to trim the fat and absorb the cap hits from doing so to get them set up for 2022 and beyond.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

...and you won't fill all of them anyways. So if you can get a free agent that is young and plays a role for the future.. it's worth a thought.

• Like 1

Is there any chance Sewell falls? Bad teams are bad teams because they draft WR high. We’ve got a shot.

• Like 2

On 3/1/2021 at 8:30 AM, SBorBust said:

Is there any chance Sewell falls? Bad teams are bad teams because they draft WR high. We’ve got a shot.

This is a bad team. We might pass on him too.

I could see it.... You only need 1 team to move up ahead of us for a qb to cause him to fall to 6...

1.  Lawrence 

2. Smith

3. Qb?

4. Qb?

5. Chance 

6......Sewell

The only one I would use early pick for regarding offense...everything else in first 3 or 4 rounds I'd go hard Defense...edit.. well maybe Pitts also 

39 minutes ago, Vlad67 said:

The only one I would use early pick for regarding offense...everything else in first 3 or 4 rounds I'd go hard Defense...edit.. well maybe Pitts also 

But they have an offensive minded HC? In an offense led league. And their offense sucks too.

On 11/29/2020 at 9:00 PM, CaliEagle said:

If you feel that there is a once in a generation talent at LT and he is only a few spots up the board, then you go for it. 

Moving down to get more picks is an option because of our many needs but losing picks by moving up should be out of the question, besides, I'm not sure if Sewell would be much of an upgrade over Mailata if he keeps progressing as well as he has been.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Moving down to get more picks is an option because of our many needs but losing picks by moving up should be out of the question, besides, I'm not sure if Sewell would be much of an upgrade over Mailata if he keeps progressing as well as he has been.  

At this point, I don't think the Eagles would be able to move up anyway. I think teams want QBs early.  Chase might go to Miami.   If Cincy wants Sewell at #5, then chances are that is where he will go. If Cincy doesn't take Sewell at 5, then the Eagles will probably take him knowing how they value OL.  I'm pretty sure the Eagles go either Sewell or Pitts.  If the Eagles trade back, I think they should trade back further (which is different than I usually feel about a draft) because I think there will be great value around pick 20.

23 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

At this point, I don't think the Eagles would be able to move up anyway. I think teams want QBs early.  Chase might go to Miami.   If Cincy wants Sewell at #5, then chances are that is where he will go. If Cincy doesn't take Sewell at 5, then the Eagles will probably take him knowing how they value OL.  I'm pretty sure the Eagles go either Sewell or Pitts.  If the Eagles trade back, I think they should trade back further (which is different than I usually feel about a draft) because I think there will be great value around pick 20.

I've never cared for trading back but if we could swap 1st as well as picking up an additional 2nd or 3rd this year I think that would be the best move.

BTW, hell no to Chase.....DO NOT LIKE!!

Sewell...is he truly a fleet footed, physically devastating OT that would've dominated all comers is the SEC? or, is he another overhyped finesse only PAC-12 OT who faced absolutely nobody physical at all, and turns out not to be chiseled from a solid block of granite, but from a solid block of velvet tofu? I don't know. Watching him beat guys that aren't close to top tier college defenders isn't awe inspiring. The PAC-12 drives me crazy. So many kids look really skilled coming out just to become shrinking violets in the NFL. 

I know some day I'll be 100% wrong about some kid from that Conference (probably USC), but my bias demands that I say no to the PAC-12 out of hand. They don't produce enough physical players to warrant taking a chance on their almost always Mr. softies. Right or wrong, I'll pass on Sewell. They don't need another hyped up underperformer like Andre Dillard.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought he was a top 5 pick but I’ve seen him falling in some of the latest mocks... would be interesting for sure.. personally I’d go defense but on the other hand I couldn’t fault them for trying to get younger/build a strong oline

If he is there at #12, you have to draft him. It's the boring pick, but it's the right one.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

If he is there at #12, you have to draft him. It's the boring pick, but it's the right one.

I’d say the same about Slater. I figure it won’t be an issue, and we’ll likely select Waddle over Smith/Surtain.  LB would be interesting, as building inside out isn’t bad advice.

12 hours ago, Waiting4Someday said:

I’d say the same about Slater. I figure it won’t be an issue, and we’ll likely select Waddle over Smith/Surtain.  LB would be interesting, as building inside out isn’t bad advice.

I'd love to add Parsons but I have zero hope Howie would ever consider a LB with such a high pick.  I think we are more likely to go DL if not CB or WR.  But perhaps he'd consider someone like Browning or Owusu-Kormoah with our 2nd.  I'd especially love that if we went Horn or Surtain in the 1st.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...