Ja'Marr Chase (LSU WR) -- DRAFTED BY CINCINNATI #5

Godfather

1 minute ago, IFB DOG said:

Our talent evaluation has been awful

Right but our issue is talent evaluation... So you can argue that WRs are a dime a dozen but then you recognise that Howie is a terrible talent evaluator...

32 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Right but our issue is talent evaluation... So you can argue that WRs are a dime a dozen but then you recognise that Howie is a terrible talent evaluator...

I don't get what you're trying to say.  This wasn't a discussion about Howie Roseman or his picking NFL players.  I made the statement that receivers are a dime a dozen - and they are.  You are much more likely to find a 7th rounder catching 50 passes in a career than you are making 8 sacks in a career.  

Donald Driver.  Marques Colston.  TJ Whoseyourmama, Rod Smith, Derrick Mason.  Wes Welker. Julian Edleman.  Antonio Brown.   These guys are household names to those that grew up with football in the 90s to today. These guys are all either in their team's Ring of Honor, heading that way, or Hall of Fame consideration. Drafted in the 7th round. 

Joe Reed, Quintez Rapist Cephus, KJ Hill, and Okuweguenu have all dressed on game day, contributing to their team's wins last week. They were all drafted in the 4th round or later.  

WRs are a dime a dozen. The field is too wide. It doesn't require a lot of separation, you just need to be able to catch the ball. NFL QBs will put the ball in your hands. Just catch it. 

19 hours ago, IFB DOG said:

I'm not a fan of Reagor.  I didn't think that he was the BPA, nor even the best RECEIVER available.  I liked Aiyuk and Shenault (who went MUCH later) a lot more.  Even Tee Higgins stood out against better competition to me.   I had Reagor as the fifth best receiver available, just behind Jefferson (who, of the five, is actually performing the best). 

I was hoping Cesar Ruiz was going to be the pick.   Give me the best center / guard in the entire draft all day every day.  He is going to be an All-Pro. 

But if Reagor checks out, he's your Z.  Fulgham looks like a legit X.  Ward is the defacto Y.  He's clutch (though I finally saw him drop one lol). 

I don't see WR as this magnificent need.  Receivers are like running backs... they're a dime a dozen.  

I would've taken any of those WRs. Jefferson clearly should've been the pick

1 hour ago, IFB DOG said:

I don't get what you're trying to say.  This wasn't a discussion about Howie Roseman or his picking NFL players.  I made the statement that receivers are a dime a dozen - and they are.  You are much more likely to find a 7th rounder catching 50 passes in a career than you are making 8 sacks in a career. 

Because you can't say they are a dime a dozen if the GM of your team sucks at drafting WRs.

6 hours ago, Godfather said:

I would've taken any of those WRs. Jefferson clearly should've been the pick

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of his. I thought he was a 2nd round WR for sure. He certainly is tearing it up in MN.

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Because you can't say they are a dime a dozen if the GM of your team sucks at drafting WRs.

You're tying in a completely different argument. They ARE a dime a dozen. Howie is playing with fractions of pennies. Like a penny stock.

I'm firmly on the J'Marr Chase bandwagon. He's the player I want the Eagles to get in the 1st round. 

6 hours ago, IFB DOG said:

You're tying in a completely different argument. They ARE a dime a dozen. Howie is playing with fractions of pennies. Like a penny stock.

What? If they are a dime a dozen but Howie is playing with fractions of pennies then how can this team find one of those dime a dozens? Makes no sense. 

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

What? If they are a dime a dozen but Howie is playing with fractions of pennies then how can this team find one of those dime a dozens? Makes no sense. 

Howie needs removed.

Wide receivers are a dime a dozen.

Why can't you understand that these are mutually exclusive?

Also, we actually have two - Fulgham and Ward - on the roster right now. Just for the record.

2 hours ago, IFB DOG said:

Howie needs removed.

Wide receivers are a dime a dozen.

Why can't you understand that these are mutually exclusive?

Also, we actually have two - Fulgham and Ward - on the roster right now. Just for the record.

Because they can't be mutually exclusive when Howie is our gym. Because if all he can pick is pennies then that's what we will get. 

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, AzBirdGang said:

We might have a shot

Even if we end up with a top 10 pick, I’d probably like them to go in another direction.

This team has so many holes, receiver isn’t even a top 3 need IMO. Yeah, they could sure use an upgrade in the slot but a possible No.1 WR they don’t necessarily need. Not at the expense of other positions of need that is.

Depending where we end up picking in the first and who’s left on the board, I prefer CB, DE or IOL over WR. Only if the receiver is graded much higher than any prospect at those other positions, I’d be okay with the pass catcher.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

This team has so many holes, receiver isn’t even a top 3 need IMO. Yeah, they could sure use an upgrade in the slot but a possible No.1 WR they don’t necessarily need. Not at the expense of other positions of need that is.

But don't forget bud... We need to go BPA. If that's Chase then so be it. Hurts or our next QB could do with a stud WR.

20 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But don't forget bud... We need to go BPA. If that's Chase then so be it. Hurts or our next QB could do with a stud WR.

Indeed! But I don’t think receiver is the problem. CW’s incompetence in combination with Doug’s play calling is.

I’d take Rousseau, Paye, Surtain, Davis, Parsons and maybe Farley over Chase without hesitation at this point if we end up with a top 10 pick or close to it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Indeed! But I don’t think receiver is the problem. CW’s incompetence in combination with Doug’s play calling is.

I’d take Rousseau, Paye, Surtain, Davis, Parsons and maybe Farley over Chase without hesitation at this point if we end up with a top 10 pick or close to it.

Umm I would agree to some extent. But I also don't think we have a legit #1 WR. Now we can argue whether we need one but look around the top QBs in the league right now and they all have a stud WR. I don't think the Eagles do. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Umm I would agree to some extent. But I also don't think we have a legit #1 WR. Now we can argue whether we need one but look around the top QBs in the league right now and they all have a stud WR. I don't think the Eagles do. 

What good is a No.1 receiver if this coaching staff doesn’t use him correctly and the QB can’t hit him?!

If it were up to me, I’d prioritise outside CB, LB, DE and IOL and grab a true slot receiver later in the draft. Unless...someone like DeVonta Smith falls into your lap in the first or St.Brown in the second and they’re easily the BPA on the board at that point.

11 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

What good is a No.1 receiver if this coaching staff doesn’t use him correctly and the QB can’t hit him?!

If it were up to me, I’d prioritise outside CB, LB, DE and IOL and grab a true slot receiver later in the draft. Unless...someone like DeVonta Smith falls into your lap in the first or St.Brown in the second and they’re easily the BPA on the board at that point.

Well... I'd be benching the QB and I'd be looking to make major changes on the coaching staff. I'm not saying we should fire Doug but I do think he needs to be forced to take a back seat with the offense and the play calling. 

11 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Well... I'd be benching the QB and I'd be looking to make major changes on the coaching staff. I'm not saying we should fire Doug but I do think he needs to be forced to take a back seat with the offense and the play calling. 

27 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Going for 2 behind 4?! You bet he should give up play calling...

• Like 1

Just now, Ray75 said:

Going for 2 behind 4?! You bet he should give up play calling...

Oh absolutely. I mean overall this offense is just a mess. So so many issues with it. Sure injuries play a part but that's just an excuse at this point. 

33 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh absolutely. I mean overall this offense is just a mess. So so many issues with it. Sure injuries play a part but that's just an excuse at this point. 

Look...I like Doug as a person and wish him nothing but the best but it’s time for a different approach. 

Not saying he should be fired but the Eagles need to bring in a true OC. Let Doug be the HC but give the play calling to someone else.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ray75 said:

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I agree with this - the D desperately needs young talent.

Our only good players on D are all in the 29-32 range. 

WR - I still believe in Fulgham despite his step back. Reagor is developing and Ward is solid. We definitely have bigger needs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

WR - I still believe in Fulgham despite his step back. Reagor is developing and Ward is solid. We definitely have bigger needs.

You won't hear any arguments from me on that. I agree defense needs an injection of young elite talent. But a player like Chase is very very tempting. 

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Amen, my brother! 🙏

Young cost effective talent is what we need, especially on defense, preferably at DE, outside corner and LB.

When I look at the prospects for the 2021 draft on Defense, I see a bunch of nice players, but only one that looks to me like a truly dominant player at his position, and that's Parsons. I know the Eagles will not draft a LB'er in the first round, so his career will happen somewhere else.

The DE class doesn't look great, and the same at CB, with Surtain II being perhaps the best of that group. 2022 offers a truly great CB prospect (Derek Stingley JR.) who looks to be much better than Surtain II, and I'd target him now, much like they targeted Wentz.

I don't want the Eagles to make their 1st round pick out of need and come away with a "B" level player, especially not with an early pick. To my mind it's about getting the most talented and impactful skill position player on the board, even if that means trading up to get him. To me, this team has no true, do it all #1 WR. They have an old possession receiver in Alshon filling that role and a clone in Fulgham waiting in the wings, which isn't enough.

I like JaMarr Chase enough to say that I am convinced he can be that #1 WR the Eagles haven't taken in the draft since, well, forever. His combination of aggressive physicality, competitiveness, toughness, and finesse skills checks all the boxes for me.

If there was a CB or a DE who I thought was equally impactful at his position, then I'd say yes to taking the CB or DE. I just don't see one that close enough to even begin making the argument.

6 hours ago, stinkfist said:

We don't use wide receivers though. 😆

They just have problems integrating them into the offense...or at least they used to...no, it looks like they still do.