Patrick Surtain II (Alabama CB) -- DRAFTED BY DENVER #9

Ray75

F5F289BD-0103-46A5-9526-CB5C88E11023.jpeg

6.2ft / 205 lbs

Man: Have some concerns about his ability to keep up with some of the quicker WRs one-on-one, however, he is very savvy with his hands and using them to stay in-phase. Played both traditional and soft shoe press successfully. Difficult to shake, excellent anticipation. Can get loose with his coverage if the pass-rush doesn’t get there.

Zone: Well versed in multiple coverages, shouldn’t have too big of an issue picking up an NFL playbook. Awesome in a nail-technique, has a feel for where the WR is even with his eyes in the QB. Good communication/pass-off skills.

Ball Skills: Super confident at the catch-point, when he isn’t able to get his head around, he’ll play the WR and fight the ball through his hands. He doesn’t get targeted often, but makes the most of them, very accurate with his hands.

Press: Gets good jams at the line, packs a punch, and only uses one hand, rather than two. Even keel at the LOS, he doesn’t get antsy or out of control. Not afraid to get physical and make it tough to release. Patient, doesn’t force anything, makes the WR make the first move. 

Hips & Footwork: Very technically sound from head-to-toe. A little stiff in the hips, can be a bit delayed on his turn, looks better when he uses a speed turn, good enough to pull it off. Keeps his hips low to the ground, allows him to move laterally much easier, important for a guy his size.

Off-Ball: Surtain doesn’t play much off-coverage, but when he’s displayed good route recognition and patience at the top of the WRs route stem. Takes good angles to the receiver when he breaks off his route.

Mentality/Run Support: Not invested in stepping up and making a play, however, he does maintain outside leverage and won’t be a huge liability in the run because of it. He does a good job using his length to get off of blocks.

Tackle: Long arms, uses them to help secure tackles, doesn’t miss many. Got to get his big body down, tackles high. Can be a bit of a hugger rather than a tackler. Solid open-field tackler, doesn’t over pursue his target.

Projection: top 10-15

• Like 1

I'd rather wait for Derek Stingley Jr. in 2022. Of course that means the kid I want them to draft will go 1st overall, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PoconoDon said:

I'd rather wait for Derek Stingley Jr. in 2022. Of course that means the kid I want them to draft will go 1st overall, lol.

Ditto

4 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

If he’s on the board at our pick I don’t think you pass on him. Just too good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VeeMak said:

I love this kid, but he excels in zone.  Gym Shortz would ruin his NFL career.

Shortz contract is up. Can’t see him being back...

Can’t see us picking in the top 10 either! 😂

We’ll probably be picking in the late teens/early twenties. Bye Surtain!

7 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

I'd rather wait for Derek Stingley Jr. in 2022. 

Wait as in not addressing the CB position in 2021?

5 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Wait as in not addressing the CB position in 2021?

they can address it in 2021, just not in the 1st. IMO, Stingley is much, much better than Surtain. The 2nd round could offer a CB prospect in April that's appropriate to the pick. I'd rather go after the superstar prospect the following year than an OK to good one this year. That's just me though.

10 hours ago, VeeMak said:

I love this kid, but he excels in zone.  Gym Shortz would ruin his NFL career.

Sad but true

• 4 weeks later...

He's the guy I want next year. Elite CB that is mature and can tackle like a boss. I don't think the Eagles will be picking high for years to come, so this may be the one chance to pick a true stud, and unlike some of the WRs he actually would be worth a top10 pick.

I doubt it's going to happen. But he is my favorite draft target by a mile.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Infam said:

He's the guy I want next year. Elite CB that is mature and can tackle like a boss. I don't think the Eagles will be picking high for years to come, so this may be the one chance to pick a true stud, and unlike some of the WRs he actually would be worth a top10 pick.

I doubt it's going to happen. But he is my favorite draft target by a mile.

We’re gonna win this damn division and be picking at 19. 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

We’re gonna win this damn division and be picking at 19. 

I just can't see that anymore. I think at best we are the third best team in this divison right now. New York and Dallas are, unfortunately, better than us right now and Washington has a D that gives them a chance in games.

11 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I just can't see that anymore. I think at best we are the third best team in this divison right now. New York and Dallas are, unfortunately, better than us right now and Washington has a D that gives them a chance in games.

Sadly I hope you’re right. 

Just now, 20dawk4life said:

Sadly I hope you’re right. 

I mean I am nonplussed at this point. If we win the division and go to the play offs then fine lets see and give the young guys valuable experience. If not then we can look forward to changes and a high draft pick. I guess either way is pretty exciting for very different reasons.

I want the Eagles to go OL in Round 1 and probably draft 3 or 4 of them next year. Games are first won in the trenches and we have a lot of age and/or injury concerns that could be long-term on our OL.  We need CBs, LBs and a good passrushing DE. But, OL should be first priority and I wouldn't rule out a DE either if that is BPA where we are.  If we want our QB play to be better, we have to get this OL back to being a strength.

3 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

I want the Eagles to go OL in Round 1 and probably draft 3 or 4 of them next year. Games are first won in the trenches and we have a lot of age and/or injury concerns that could be long-term on our OL.  We need CBs, LBs and a good passrushing DE. But, OL should be first priority and I wouldn't rule out a DE either if that is BPA where we are.  If we want our QB play to be better, we have to get this OL back to being a strength.

OL in the first? Hmm I don't know bud. I mean I agree the trenches are absolutely vital but that feels like too much. Let's not forget Mailata has flashed, Dillard is due to come back and so is Brooks. I'm not really down with taking a C or OG in the first either. 

1 hour ago, CaliEagle said:

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

OL in the first? Hmm I don't know bud. I mean I agree the trenches are absolutely vital but that feels like too much. Let's not forget Mailata has flashed, Dillard is due to come back and so is Brooks. I'm not really down with taking a C or OG in the first either. 

Unless...we pick in the top 10, we don’t like what’s left on the board and get an offer from a QB needy team picking in the top 15 we just can’t refuse. In that scenario I wouldn’t mind using that pick on Wyatt Davis.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bad ball skills. Pass

look at the Florida tape. We have enough CBs that can’t locate the ball in the air. 

surtain also does well against average to below average WRs. When he goes against above average and elite WRs he doesn’t look so hot

IMO he is not even in the same class as Jeffrey Okuda who came out last year from Ohio State

I look forward to learning more about this kid. He could be the pick. CB is a huge need for this team. 

I'd be happy with Surtain or Smith. Both are gonna be great at their positions. 

Id be in on Surtain. Loved his father when he played for the Dolphins. Be honest, Id take either of the Bama players in Smith or Surtain and be very happy and confident. personally, Id rather have Surtain if both were on the boards. 

7 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Id be in on Surtain. Loved his father when he played for the Dolphins. Be honest, Id take either of the Bama players in Smith or Surtain and be very happy and confident. personally, Id rather have Surtain if both were on the boards. 

I know it may be unfair but I still have some reservations over Bama players. Maybe its just because all picks are a gamble and the Bama guys come of college with greater expectations of them?