Kwity Paye (Michigan DE) -- DRAFTED BY INDIANAPOLIS #21

Ray75

D64CE0F4-A6F0-41FF-8927-228A36BC4A0D.jpeg

6’4ft / 277 lbs

Good height, weight with good athletic ability, very good balance, body control, good short area quickness, agility, solid burst and bend.

He shows good mental processing to key and diagnose run and pass with good discipline. In the pass game, Paye wins with his outstanding play strength, pad level, and understanding of leverage. He shows very good bull rush potential and enough pass rush repertoire using a variety of moves. He is very good at staying in his pass rushing lanes and collapsing the pocket.

In the run game, Paye is nearly immovable and is a very dense player. He forces runs consistently back to the inside. He is very strong at the POA and sets the edge very well. He shows outstanding play strength and plays with very good leverage vs double teams. He shows a very good ability to two-gap and can one-gap as well. Very good hand placement to control OL at the POA and shed them with ease. Overall he is very good vs the run. He is a good tackler and likes to get involved with very good competitive toughness. He is freaky strong.

This class of edge rushers is not exactly loaded at the top. Miami’s Gregory Rousseau is commonly considered the top prospect at the position, but he is far from a finished product and is sitting out the 2020 season. If Paye can start to reach his ceiling this season and test like the athletic freak that he is at the combine, he could end up being one of the first edge rusher off of the board in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Don’t look now but Brandon Graham and Vinny Curry are getting up there in age, we don’t know what the future holds for Derek Barnett and Josh Sweat will be entering a contract year next season.

The entire defensive scheme is predicated on the pass rush getting home. It has been for decades. Plus we all know how the Eagles love to draft edge rushers and in a relatively weak class a good one might just fall right into their lap. They’ll always prefer to use their first rounder on linemen and if a good one is available, I just can’t see them passing up on the opportunity to add a quality edge rusher.

Projection; top 15

Pro comparison; Brandon Graham

If he's BPA sure but I don't want another first rounder use daily on the dline. I know we need some youth there but with the recourses we have spent there we need to address other areas. CB, Safety (doubt it), LB (hahahahaha), oline. Those are the four areas I want to see us targeting in the first. Obviously don't want to reach so if a DE is BPA take him, but if it's a tie I'm going the other way. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

If he's BPA sure but I don't want another first rounder use daily on the dline. I know we need some youth there but with the recourses we have spent there we need to address other areas. CB, Safety (doubt it), LB (hahahahaha), oline. Those are the four areas I want to see us targeting in the first. Obviously don't want to reach so if a DE is BPA take him, but if it's a tie I'm going the other way. 

Agreed, just want you to prepare for the obvious! 😂

I want a corner too but after about 20 years of neglecting the position in the draft, I lost faith.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think Paye looks exactly like the type of DE that the Eagles target in the 1st round. Size wise, he's in the same ballpark as BG and Derek Barnett coming out of college and could be available when the Eagles are on the clock. They've had success with Graham coming out of Michigan, so it wouldn't surprise me if he's on their radar. I think he'll be a popular mock draft option on the EMB as we get closer to the draft. 😉

There isn't much consensus with regards to who the 2nd, 3rd, 4th best EDGE rusher is in this draft class after Gregory Rousseau, so Paye could go anywhere from top 15 to late 1st round based on how things shake out.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Yeah, I think Paye looks exactly like the type of DE that the Eagles target in the 1st round. Size wise, he's in the same ballpark as BG and Derek Barnett coming out of college and could be available when the Eagles are on the clock. They've had success with Graham coming out of Michigan, so it wouldn't surprise me if he's on their radar. I think he'll be a popular mock draft option on the EMB as we get closer to the draft. 😉

There isn't much consensus with regards to who the 2nd, 3rd, 4th best EDGE rusher is in this draft class after Gregory Rousseau, so Paye could go anywhere from top 15 to late 1st round based on how things shake out.

Exactly!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2020 at 12:27 PM, 20dawk4life said:

Although I’d not hesitate to use a top 10 pick on a corner, I think they will.

For some reason they feel very uncomfortable using first rounders on DB’s and LB’s and it’s not only this regime. It’s in their DNA to value specific positions like OL and DL over about all others but IMO once in a while you have to use a first on another to just balance things out.

Otherwise you’d always spend 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders on, say, DB’s and that increases the chance of a wasted pick and you’d have to go the FA route to repair that mistake.It also is about the opposite of the BPA philosophy.

No doubt Reagor is a good receiver but he wasn’t even close to being the BPA at 21, he wasn’t even the best receiver available. They reached for a specific skillset IMO. 

Back to Paye. If they pick in the top 10 and he’s on the board, I just can’t see them passing on him. It would be such an Eagles thing to do. Flat out taking the pass rusher without hesitation.

I think he'd be a really really good addition to his DL. I like him a lot and DE is definitely a need for this team so it's a logical pick.

There are many ways they can go though so it'll be a really interesting draft. Even better and more exciting if Howie is out. 

• Like 1

If we go DL, I sure hope the guy we take turns out to be more like a Garrett or Donald or Bosa (real difference makers) and not another Barnett who has been good but not great (considering where he was picked).  We really need to hit on an elite talent, regardless of what position is addressed.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

If we go DL, I sure hope the guy we take turns out to be more like a Garrett or Donald or Bosa (real difference makers) and not another Barnett who has been good but not great (considering where he was picked).  We really need to hit on an elite talent, regardless of what position is addressed.  

In my view he’s the best DL prospect in the draft. That’s not saying much in a pretty weak class though.

Paye is an athletic freak. A 6’4 ft 270+ lbs pass rusher who’s rumoured to run a faster 3 cone drill than the majority of skill position prospects at the combine.

Already an elite run stopper, he’s just scratching the surface of his potential as a pass rusher.

He’s basically BG 2.0 but from an athletic "freak” standpoint he also reminds me a bit of Yannick Ngakoue.

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

This. Prioritizing the lines is a sound philosophy but talent evaluation has to hit more than miss for it to work (Howie). See the cowboys OL of recent history.

On 11/26/2020 at 8:28 AM, time2rock said:

I agree. The thing is, I don't see that guy in this draft at DE or at CB. I see some solid players down the line but no superstars. The best chance IMO, is Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU. Unless some incredibly negative info drops about him, he's who I'm hoping the Eagles take.

Kwity Paye has 25 pressures in 3 games. EDGE1 is going to be a serious debate leading up to the draft. Michigan hasn’t been good, but Paye has been unbelievable in every way possible so far this year.

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

Kwity Paye has 25 pressures in 3 games. EDGE1 is going to be a serious debate leading up to the draft. Michigan hasn’t been good, but Paye has been unbelievable in every way possible so far this year.

I mean that's an insane rate. 8 pressures per game on a pretty bad football team.

56 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean that's an insane rate. 8 pressures per game on a pretty bad football team.

Indeed! That kid is a monster!

Just now, Ray75 said:

Indeed! That kid is a monster!

I think DE is going to be the pick you know. I don't think Barnett is back and they need to find a long term replacement to BG.

The more I think about it the more of a mess this whole situation is. 

This guy is definitely not a top 10 prospect.  A lot of his sacks are coverage/cleanup in nature.  I don’t see dominant DL play at all.  Not sure I’d even be on board if the Eagles win the division and are picking #19.

This doesn’t look like a very good DL draft.  Rousseau is rated higher but he needs to fill out quite a bit.

• 1 month later...

Will be interesting to see what a new d coordinator means for this d line. I think we have 3 solid de in Barnett, graham, and sweat. We likely lose curry. Would definitely be an Eagles type pick to take him but I hope we don’t. Corner or wr for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I can 100% see paye as the pick of the eagles trade back but not at 6.  I think after the combine his stock is going to soar tho when his athleticism is actually realized

1 hour ago, Milkman420 said:

I can 100% see paye as the pick of the eagles trade back but not at 6.  I think after the combine his stock is going to soar tho when his athleticism is actually realized

Reportedly there won’t be a combine this year.  

10 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Reportedly there won’t be a combine this year.  

Well that sucks I look forward to it every year 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Bump! Trade down target...

I think Paye is definitely a target. A good DE who could be had if we trade back a little. We need an injection of youth at DE with the future of Barnett uncertain.

43 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think Paye is definitely a target. A good DE who could be had if we trade back a little. We need an injection of youth at DE with the future of Barnett uncertain.

and BG up there in age...

• Like 1