Better Call Saul

RPeeteRules

6 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I think it was pretty well done. I can see casual watchers thinking it was boring, but I liked that it paid off for people who love the show/universe. I still think it was a little odd abandoning the Gene episodes for so long and then having them predominately be the last 4 episodes especially after building Lalo as the big bad of the show. This is nitpicking though and it’s hard to complain overall. Great show from start to finish. I think this my be the better show overall with BrBa being the better story.

Have had this discussion too many times. Usually like your earlier post, my dumb friends dismiss me out of hand when I even raise the question as to which is better, but I think Saul in total start to finish is the superior show. Yes it wouldn’t exist without BB and There are some episodes in BB that are just amazing, but there’s also a lot of down episodes and storylines that are meh. Additionally some of the characters are not as well developed or are plain awful. BCS has none of those blind spots. The story, even when slow, is tight and all tied into building these characters and these worlds. It’s a masters class on how to do a tv show. I’ll definitely miss it as it is one of my top 5 all time along with Fargo, Futurama, LOST, and BB. And yeah I know Lost is divisive, but it was tremendous before the went off the rails a bit and was never as bad as casual fans pretended it was. 

Chuck was an easy foil, he was arrogant and uncomfortable to watch (Michael McKean was easily the best actor in the show). In the end though, everything he said about Jimmy was spot on. Bill was hilarious. His expressions whenever Jimmy would start ‘’going off script’’ had me cracking up. Not sure how what Jimmy did would have really helped Kim escape culpability. 

• Like 1

RIP watching network television live (for me at least) after last night. My god, all of the excitement for an hour and a half finale was zapped about halfway through the episode as we headed into seemingly the 7th commercial break. I could never get into a groove with this episode bc of all the breaks. I'll have to re-watch it and see if I enjoy it a little more being able to quickly FF through that.

But it didn't really feel like natural, elite BCS storytelling/television to me like we've been accustom to. It felt like a typical series finale, where you're kinda racing against the clock to tie up all of the loose ends + get the proper fanservice in. In the current timeline alone, starting with fugitive Gene bleeding into full blown heel Saul, the respective plane rides Saul/Kim had re: his court hearing, along with the multiple sit downs negotiating his deal. Saul's back to back sad puppydog lookbacks at Kim in court to gain her approval as he was transitioning from Saul back to Jimmy fell flat for me too.. it was just hard to accept that Jimmy was now back, after spending so much time this episode with Gene and Saul. I just didn't love the pace - the Mike/Walt/Chuck cameos and the time machine philosophical stuff didn't help that either, IMO. I just felt like we were constantly being thrown around, with a lot of moving parts. When it didn't need to be that chaotic. It just needed to have Saul/Jimmy reflect on his choices and how they affected Kim and get that across to her. Adding so much more to that watered down the moment when it happened I thought. 

Obviously still one of the better shows we've had in some time and aesthetically and cinematographically may be better than BrBa. But I think I just had a hard time grasping the pace this season. To think that this final season started back with following Nacho on the run, through all the Lalo stuff and then a final act of all Gene all the time, was just pretty unique. Which I think will help it age well. But right now I'm not just going to heap praise on this specific episode. Overall the final season was great. Still working on this episode though. 

• Like 1

Absolutely loved that. Tied it all up in a neat bow and proved it's still possible to make well written, acted and filmed TV; because every scrap of detail mattered, they made us care about the characters and their outcomes. Even at the end, seeing Kim and Jimmy have their moment in prison was powerful. No mystery boxes or deus ex machina to get around bad writing - it sounds revelatory in this TV landscape.  BB was more iconic in terms of the zeitgeist it created, BCS had a better overall and more nuanced story. 

I can't wait to binge it in a couple of years time and just enjoy it knowing what happens.  But in the meantime, Netflix can go- nothing decent on there to watch at the moment...

6 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

Absolutely loved that. Tied it all up in a neat bow and proved it's still possible to make well written, acted and filmed TV; because every scrap of detail mattered, they made us care about the characters and their outcomes. Even at the end, seeing Kim and Jimmy have their moment in prison was powerful. No mystery boxes or deus ex machina to get around bad writing - it sounds revelatory in this TV landscape.  BB was more iconic in terms of the zeitgeist it created, BCS had a better overall and more nuanced story. 

I can't wait to binge it in a couple of years time and just enjoy it knowing what happens.  But in the meantime, Netflix can go- nothing decent on there to watch at the moment...

I got rid of Netflix months ago 

8 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

I got rid of Netflix months ago 

It's the only way to watch it legally over here. I can't be arsed relying on dodgy sites; but it's gone in 2 months time.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

0 Emmy wins. 

46 total nominations and 0 wins for the entire series. 

Ridiculous 

They’ll clean up next year. Split season and all the drama was in second half. If it doesn’t, then it’s an enormous joke. 

12 hours ago, homerpat said:

They’ll clean up next year. Split season and all the drama was in second half. If it doesn’t, then it’s an enormous joke. 

I dunno. Assuming the first half ended with Howard getting shot, I think most of the drama was in the first. 

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I dunno. Assuming the first half ended with Howard getting shot, I think most of the drama was in the first. 

Just think they’re saving it for the final season. Minus that last episode and some of the Lalo stuff, it wasn’t nearly as dramatic as the end

That said guy who plays Lalo got screwed. such an evil ****

12 minutes ago, homerpat said:

Just think they’re saving it for the final season. Minus that last episode and some of the Lalo stuff, it wasn’t nearly as dramatic as the end

Maybe. But the fact they do stuff like that bothers me. They seem to always be in this cycle of rewarding lesser things and doing make up calls after the fact while snubbing something else that was great just to reward it in the next cycle for something that’s not even better. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, homerpat said:

he made the mistake of being Mexican instead of Spanish like Javier Bardem 

• Sad 1

On 9/19/2022 at 12:01 AM, LeanMeanGM said:

Maybe. But the fact they do stuff like that bothers me. They seem to always be in this cycle of rewarding lesser things and doing make up calls after the fact while snubbing something else that was great just to reward it in the next cycle for something that’s not even better. 

if Rhea Seahorns crying on the bus breakdown scene is nominated in the next cycle like it should be, that's where she should win. That wouldn't be rewarding her for past performance. That was the episode she deserves to be recognized for most, and hopefully she will be. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...