I Trust Almost Nothing I Read About Doug’s Status

Runtherock

Why? There are more than a few philly reporters who do not like him on a personal level. They hit him with sarcasm in print and on their podcasts and radio spots and then cry like stuck pigs when he returns fire at press conferences. How dare he? Not all act this way but many do. So, when they write an article citing unnamed "NFL sources” critical of Doug or suggesting his job is in danger I should believe any of it why? Zero credibility. Also, its a losing season which means — if you have any experience with this stuff at all, "Howie leak time” — both to local and specific national reporters (hello Adam Schefter.)

Doesn’t mean Lurie isn’t unhappy, he should be, and doesn’t mean Doug’s definitely not in danger, BUT, I’m nobody’s fool and will not be played by folks with agendas. 

9 minutes ago, Runtherock said:

Why? There are more than a few philly reporters who do not like him on a personal level. They hit him with sarcasm in print and on their podcasts and radio spots

How is that any different then Wentz or Howie? They all have there own Philly reporter haters that are bashing them over and over and saying they should be gone as well. 

• Like 1

I've never been one to blindly believe anything reported by the media. Perhaps to a fault maybe.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

How is that any different then Wentz or Howie? They all have there own Philly reporter haters that are bashing them over and over and saying they should be gone as well. 

Because with Doug its become personal. Lots of crying about how he’s responded to them at press conferences. Poor babies. Not so with Wentz or Howie, but if you want to argue they shouldn’t be trusted re: anyone I won’t argue with you. 

12 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I've never been one to blindly believe anything reported by the media. Perhaps to a fault maybe.

And I’m not a "fake news” guy, typically, but when I see it get personal they’ve lost me. 

You should trust nothing you read from sports media guys ever, especially at the local level. Most of them are jealous that they can't do the jobs of the men they write about. They want to make themselves part of the story to show that they're as big of men as the athletes and coaches. So the coaches and players usually say as little to the press as they can get away with, and they work hard not to say anything that would give the media a juicy story. It's an antagonistic relationship. 

And in the era of clickbait, you should trust even less. 

• Like 2

On 11/28/2020 at 1:22 PM, Runtherock said:

Why? There are more than a few philly reporters who do not like him on a personal level. They hit him with sarcasm in print and on their podcasts and radio spots and then cry like stuck pigs when he returns fire at press conferences. How dare he? Not all act this way but many do. So, when they write an article citing unnamed "NFL sources” critical of Doug or suggesting his job is in danger I should believe any of it why? Zero credibility. Also, its a losing season which means — if you have any experience with this stuff at all, "Howie leak time” — both to local and specific national reporters (hello Adam Schefter.)

Doesn’t mean Lurie isn’t unhappy, he should be, and doesn’t mean Doug’s definitely not in danger, BUT, I’m nobody’s fool and will not be played by folks with agendas. 

I dont watch those pressers or read the articles.   I use my own eyes watching the product on the field, the play calling, the situational football basics(like not punting on 4th down on your own side of the field  in a close must win game against a team you are favored to win) , like running the ball when its successful, ect.ect.ect.  

doug has done his very best to get fired. It’s like he wants to be fired almost

• Like 3

After what’s been leaking out of the Eagles FO basically since the final season of Chip Kelly I do believe when there’s smoke there is fire. Truth of the matter there was a report about Doug overall being tired of the Eagles and how they have treated him and if Doug got fired he wouldn’t feel so bad about it. Truth is Doug doesn’t have a lot of power here. We all knew it when they hired him. He was the anti Chip Kelly who wanted all the power. Doug doesn’t control his coaching staff. He doesn’t control who he can play or not. He doesn’t control what players they bring in. The only this we know for certain he controls is play calling. After winning a Super Bowl (that everyone says the other guy won and not him) Doug is quite the neutered coach. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SNOORDA said:

I dont watch those pressers or read the articles.   I use my own eyes watching the product on the field, the play calling, the situational football basics(like not punting on 4th down on your own side of the field  in a close must win game against a team you are favored to win) , like running the ball when its successful, ect.ect.ect.  

doug has done his very best to get fired. It’s like he wants to be fired almost

Which was written by a beat writer not long ago, based on several "unnamed” sources who were, evidently, trying to read Doug’s mind. I doubt he’s trying to get fired, I mean who does that, really? But I think a lot of what you’re seeing is the result of trying to work around a decimated O line, young receivers who didn’t have much of camp, and a quarterback who’s literally melting down before his eyes.

5 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

After what’s been leaking out of the Eagles FO basically since the final season of Chip Kelly I do believe when there’s smoke there is fire. Truth of the matter there was a report about Doug overall being tired of the Eagles and how they have treated him and if Doug got fired he wouldn’t feel so bad about it. Truth is Doug doesn’t have a lot of power here. We all knew it when they hired him. He was the anti Chip Kelly who wanted all the power. Doug doesn’t control his coaching staff. He doesn’t control who he can play or not. He doesn’t control what players they bring in. The only this we know for certain he controls is play calling. After winning a Super Bowl (that everyone says the other guy won and not him) Doug is quite the neutered coach. 

The story you’re referring to was based on "unnamed” sources who were "guessing” about what Doug "may” be thinking. I mean I can remember a day when you couldn’t have gotten that by an editor. Its madness. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Runtherock said:

The story you’re referring to was based on "unnamed” sources who were "guessing” about what Doug "may” be thinking. I mean I can remember a day when you couldn’t have gotten that by an editor. Its madness. 

I am not disagreeing with you, but I will tell you that you have a long memory. 

Without being too cryptic, a former employer of mine was speaking to a potential employer during a job search and told them that "he (I) uses craft jargon (football terminology) and direct quotes too much when his job is to make it (ratings for players) up how we like it." 

Obviously the past employer helped me get the job, but they thought they'd be hurting me because in their world of "journalism", sensationalism was the only thing that mattered anymore. In the world of ... results driven work ... which is where I was going, sensationalism was heavily frowned upon. 

This wasn't too long ago unfortunately. The world is ugh. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Runtherock said:

TMZ gets more sports scoops than most of the true sports people have these days. Back in the day if you couldn’t name your source you basically couldn’t print, but the integrity of the paper you were writing for was at stake. Nobody wanted to be the National Enquirer, but now internet media has basically killed all that. Everyone needs "hot takes” and you get a lot of click bait with flashy titles and little substance. 

• Like 2

You guys are right on. 

Most of what the fans think we know is really just an accumulation of rumors that turn into media narratives. The players and coaches and team executives try to manipulate it to make it less damaging, but it's rarely in their interests to tell anyone the truth about anything. 

Especially the way fans are these days. Fifty, sixty years ago the fans would mind their own business and just support their teams. It was that post-WWII era when solidarity and loyalty were valued, and people understood that great accomplishments are difficult. But these days, probably in part because of computer games, so many fans think they're a phone call away from being successful GMs, offensive coordinators, defensive coordinators, whatever, and even the ones who respect football people feel so entitled. Every little setback, every little gamble that doesn't work out, is like a personal affront. Sometimes even when something works out in the end, the fans are angry that it wasn't easier. 

The only time, really, that the fans are an asset to the teams anymore is when they're in a stadium making noise. The rest of the time, we just make ourselves a PR problem for them, and the media's job is to feed our appetite for scandal and outrage. 

The latest News report (By me. LOL)

1) Wentz has regressed..to being the worst QB in the league. (The rumors of his poor work ethic may be true.)

2) Howie sucks as a GM, draft picker, deal maker, and has no football common sense.

3) DP ..is mentally exhausted , (Coach at the end of the line.)

4) Laurie ..skipped an Eagles game, for the first time ever. (Supposedly because he had to visit his Mother for Thanksgiving and he was afraid to give her Covid.)

5) Eagles are in a deep doodoo. 

6) Until there is either regime or an ownership change...see number 5). 

I wish we could just "blame the media" for what we're seeing but as it always is, that is way too simple.

This season has been an organizational failure.  Poor drafting, poor decisions in free agency, poor coaching.  I expect credentialed reporters to ask pointed questions.  

I don't blame the media for Philly having a bad team. Just remember, when it comes to the media, they are in business to SELL NEWS/stories/gossip and rumors. They need clicks, views, likes, etc, etc, etc. Thats ALL they really are after-the almighty $$$. If there are no stories, they INVENT them to stir controversy, interest, curiosity, etc. I put zero faith in a reporter or media org. I wait until I see that it is real to REALLY believe it.  

On 11/28/2020 at 9:46 PM, Runtherock said:

Because with Doug its become personal. Lots of crying about how he’s responded to them at press conferences. Poor babies. Not so with Wentz or Howie, but if you want to argue they shouldn’t be trusted re: anyone I won’t argue with you. 

Does he have it worse than Chip Kelly? Head Coach as a job comes with bad press unless you're a guy who turns out 10 wins a year every year, with a championship game every few seasons 

Critics, reviewers and sports reporters are no smarter or less human than you and I. Basically they're just lucky dufuses who earn money voicing opinions and assessments that are often idiotic and the biggest accomplishment they ever achieved in life was talking their way into their job. If people held them accountable for their professional pronuncements the way they judge the people they cover, their tenure would no doubt be a lot shorter on average. They're basically just clowns hired to fill up newsprint or man the phones on call-in shows.

Listening to Mike Missanelli call Jeff Lurie clueless today (a man who's won 2 Academy Awards and a SB) begs the question of what Missanelli ever did to earn his position. He's just a human lump with a license to pontificate.

The few that are worth listening to are on national shows where the competition is fierce and they have access to state of the art analytics, or ex-pro athletes who know the game inside and out.

On 11/28/2020 at 4:34 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

I've never been one to blindly believe anything reported by the media.

Yeah right...what flavor are you again??

2 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Yeah right...what flavor are you again??

:huh: 

On 11/29/2020 at 10:09 AM, wyote said:

You should trust nothing you read from sports media guys ever, especially at the local level. Most of them are jealous that they can't do the jobs of the men they write about. They want to make themselves part of the story to show that they're as big of men as the athletes and coaches. So the coaches and players usually say as little to the press as they can get away with, and they work hard not to say anything that would give the media a juicy story. It's an antagonistic relationship. 

And in the era of clickbait, you should trust even less. 

I'm confused... your post is so logical, I want to trust it... but then at the end it says I should trust less.   So, I guess, I should not trust you... but, then again... maybe I should trust you.

It’s hard to trust a lot of media guys when Skip Bayless exists & is probably one of the wealthiest ESPN guys

Doug was sarcastic toward Reuben Frank in a presser a few weeks ago, it was right after Frank wrote an article questioning whether Doug should lose his job. Ever since then Frank has gone scorched earth on Doug, wrote another one today basically calling for his job. Rips him on his podcast and in tweets. Whatever you think about Doug and whether he should be fired or not, that’s wrong. Frank took a shot, Doug responded, and now its personal. How dare Doug give it back to him. Its pretty disgusting.