Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

I’m just gonna root for Jalen Hurts from now on.

Go, Jalen!

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, CouchKing said:

I’m just gonna root for Jalen Hurts from now on.

Go, Jalen!

That's what I'm doing. Do I think his limitations will ultimately be an issue, sure I do but I'm going into the season focusing on the best case scenario for him

On 6/12/2022 at 7:01 PM, eagle45 said:

Drew Brees is a HOF qb who was unquestionably not a big talent.  He succeeded despite natural talent.

I think it depends on how you define natural talent. To me natural talent is not the same as physical skills/athleticism at the Quarterback position. Brees had adequate athleticism but that was not his forte IMO. A position like CB or RB relies heavily on physical skills, a QB playing the position in the traditional way doesn't need to be able to run a 4.4 or bench 400 lbs.

57 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

I think it depends on how you define natural talent. To me natural talent is not the same as physical skills/athleticism at the Quarterback position. Brees had adequate athleticism but that was not his forte IMO. A position like CB or RB relies heavily on physical skills, a QB playing the position in the traditional way doesn't need to be able to run a 4.4 or bench 400 lbs.

But we have one of those lol 

I think Jalen Hurts should do commercials. Make some money. Get a couple free SUVs. 

He’s a snappy dresser. Everyone loves him.

8 hours ago, eglz1 said:

This is an excellent point.  For any job, I think of talent as something that is innately advantageous and fulfills certain unteachable traits.  Usually, but not always, it’s also something that is discretely measurable.

For a WR…4.3 speed, height, strength, quickness are talent.

For a qb…4.5 speed is nice, but even that is so far down the list of what comprises talent.  Height, frame, arm strength….that’s talent.  Processing speed is something that can be improved (and can’t be measured well), but there are definitely limits unique to each qb of how well and fast they can process defensive alignments, progressions, and pull the trigger.  So that’s a talent too.  

And for everything that above that I just listed as my interpretation of talent at qb…Hurts ain’t got it.

17 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

This is an excellent point.  For any job, I think of talent as something that is innately advantageous and fulfills certain unteachable traits.  Usually, but not always, it’s also something that is discretely measurable.

For a WR…4.3 speed, height, strength, quickness are talent.

For a qb…4.5 speed is nice, but even that is so far down the list of what comprises talent.  Height, frame, arm strength….that’s talent.  Processing speed is something that can be improved (and can’t be measured well), but there are definitely limits unique to each qb of how well and fast they can process defensive alignments, progressions, and pull the trigger.  So that’s a talent too.  

And for everything that above that I just listed as my interpretation of talent at qb…Hurts ain’t got it.

I have a different interpretation of talent. There are a lot of physically gifted athletes that don't have talent (in a particular sport). Sam Mills was very short for a LB, but it would be crazy to claim he didn't succeed due to talent. Cris Carter was pretty slow for a WR, but he could sure play the position. I went to school with a kid that was 7' 1" and he couldn't play basketball (great size, but no talent). Talent is the ability to succeed at what you do. If a person plays the piano well, they have talent on the piano. 

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

I have a different interpretation of talent. There are a lot of physically gifted athletes that don't have talent (in a particular sport). Sam Mills was very short for a LB, but it would be crazy to claim he didn't succeed due to talent. Cris Carter was pretty slow for a WR, but he could sure play the position. I went to school with a kid that was 7' 1" and he couldn't play basketball (great size, but no talent). Talent is the ability to succeed at what you do. If a person plays the piano well, they have talent on the piano. 

That’s fine too, different perspective.  But if you go that general and inclusive with talent, then talent just becomes success.  Brees was immensely talented, Brady immensely talented, Ben Simmons has no talent because he’s a liability and his makeup limits his ability to succeed, Shawn Andrews had limited talent, etc.

To put it more simply, I’d say that talent is what’s given to you.  Success is what you make of it.  Randy Moss was given more than Chris Carter.  Lavar Arrington was given more than Sam Mills.  Jeff George was given more than Drew Brees.

I am thinking I need a QB1 jersey in my collection. Maybe?

1 hour ago, CouchKing said:

I am thinking I need a QB1 jersey in my collection. Maybe?

Foles or McNabb until all this gets figured out lol

Got #5 McNabb. Got #7 Vick. Got #11 Wentz.

Bought #9 Foles for father in law after SB win.

I’ll just wear my Wentz jersey this year.

1 hour ago, CouchKing said:

If he starts doing really well, don't wear to the stadium lol

3 hours ago, CouchKing said:

Go ahead, you're obviously bad luck.

On 6/15/2022 at 3:05 AM, MF POON said:

I didn't really view McNabb as a choker so much as Reid was just pitiful in big games. He's got one of the best QB's in the league now, and he barely won a SB and choked the championship game away last year. Fans know that JJ's defenses carried us because we had 0 receivers for McNabb to throw to. If Westbrook was hurt, we were done for, which I think legit happened a couple of playoff runs. 

Also, I seem to remember many fans wanting Garcia to take McNabb's place as the starting QB. 

I love JJ's defense but his squad usually showed up short on big games.

Also yes Andy just didn't realize that 1 star WR paired with McNabb before the arrival of TO may have given Eagles a Superbowl trophy 

On 6/17/2022 at 3:59 AM, Jeep_man said:

Also yes Andy just didn't realize that 1 star WR paired with McNabb before the arrival of TO may have given Eagles a Superbowl trophy 

Agreed.

On 6/17/2022 at 8:59 AM, Jeep_man said:

23 minutes ago, MF POON said:

Agreed.

Agreed as well. Whereas Schwartz, Super Bowl apart, always produced in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Agreed as well. Whereas Schwartz, Super Bowl apart, always produced in the playoffs.

Also agreed, jjs defenses got shredded by the QBs that didn't mind winning games with short quick throws. The best example of this was the nfc championship game against the Cardinals when they just kept running Fitzgerald on short slants and drag routes over and over again. 

Lane Johnson: Jalen Hurts Has Already Proven Himself as Eagles' Long-Term QB | The Rich Eisen Show

6 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Lane Johnson: Jalen Hurts Has Already Proven Himself as Eagles' Long-Term QB | The Rich Eisen Show

He used to kiss Wentz's ass too. This means nothing

14 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

He used to kiss Wentz's ass too. This means nothing

Lane wants to get a Christmas card this year.

I see Hurts image here in red practice shirt.

Why in his right mind would he wear a bracelet?

We need some safety rules and regs. 

Does he wear that on game day? Better not. 

1 minute ago, CouchKing said:

Why in his right mind would he wear a bracelet?

He needs the bracelet to balance out that big throwing arm of his.

Who in the world would expect the starting RT and a team leader to say anything bad about the starting QB to the media?

On 6/1/2022 at 10:34 AM, Mike030270 said:

I saw a scout report from 2017 where he had the same issues. That's insane. I really don't understand why he's even being given the chance. It should be an open competition

People say he took us to the playoffs but it was him running instead of passing that really did anything. If he had a decent RB then we'd likely have the same run game. Our Oline is top ranked

The QB should NOT be leading the team in rushing yards

To be fair Jalen Hurts did pass three times more than he did run, and finished the season with an 87.2 rating. However watching the season it had the feel that he ran more than pass when it counted later in the season. It could've been that his best receiver was a rookie, and now with the veteran AJ Brown he might have a stellar year this season.

image.png.30567d1b6d342827cd6a080459cd1c09.png

2 minutes ago, JournalistMic said:

To be fair Jalen Hurts did pass three times more than he did run, and finished the season with an 87.2 rating. However watching the season it had the feel that he ran more than pass when it counted later in the season. It could've been that his best receiver was a rookie, and now with the veteran AJ Brown he might have a stellar year this season.

image.png.30567d1b6d342827cd6a080459cd1c09.png

3k is mediocre and it's not like he had Smith and no one else

He was the leading rusher for the team and that shouldn't happen

Archived