Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

33 minutes ago, JournalistMic said:

To be fair Jalen Hurts did pass three times more than he did run, and finished the season with an 87.2 rating. However watching the season it had the feel that he ran more than pass when it counted later in the season. It could've been that his best receiver was a rookie, and now with the veteran AJ Brown he might have a stellar year this season.

image.png.30567d1b6d342827cd6a080459cd1c09.png

Hurts ran the ball 24.3% of the time.

Josh Allen last year ran the ball 15.8% for 763 yards at 6.3 per attempt.

Josh Allen also passed for 1300 more yards and 20 more TD's.

The QB being able to run is not a bad thing, but it has to be a bonus on top of 4000 passing yards, not in addition to and not even getting to 4000 total yards.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Hurts ran the ball 24.3% of the time.

Josh Allen last year ran the ball 15.8% for 763 yards at 6.3 per attempt.

Josh Allen also passed for 1300 more yards and 20 more TD's.

The QB being able to run is not a bad thing, but it has to be a bonus on top of 4000 passing yards, not in addition to and not even getting to 4000 total yards.

Finding the right balance makes the entire offense harder to defend. Honestly, I expect the offense to lean more heavily on the pass in 2022 than it did last season. The coaches are talking up Jalen. His teammates are talking him up. Howie has as well. That means if we don't outperform last year's passing offense, then Hurts didn't fulfill expectations. 

It was okay last year to do what we had to with where Jalen was as a QB. But if you can't grow and move beyond the 2021 Jalen Hurts, you won't be making things hard for opposing defenses. Barring an injury, 4000 passing yards doesn't even seem like all that much. I'll go a step further --- if he starts 17 meaningful (where we aren't resting starters) games and doesn't pass for 4200 yards with Brown, Goedert, Smith, and Watkins, we had better be in situations where ball control is sealing wins. We have the personnel to be a much better passing team in 2022 if the QB can live up to the preseason praise. 

On 6/1/2022 at 1:58 PM, Eaglesfandan said:

I've been telling people that he is a better version of Tim Tebow.........and there it is. :roll:

I'm praying that he magically turns into a pocket passer and only runs when he needs to, but I just don't see it.

I think Jalen Hurts is slightly better than Tim Tebow but a very fair comparison at this point as Tebow took the Broncos to a playoff game too mainly by scrambling with his feet like Jalen. The fan base is strong for both of them, more so for Jalen Hurts whom is still a starting QB, but before Tebow was let go he was very popular by fans not even Bronco fans. Football is a business after all not just putting fans in seats, but television ratings. 
I think it is very clear that if Jalen Hurts struggles behind this fantastic Oline (best in Eagles Franchise History) and with this WR core (up there also with best if not the best WR Core) he'll lose his job as franchise QB & probably will be a backup QB for the rest of his NFL career. It's put up or shut up for Jalen & I'm sure he's well aware but that doesn't mean that he can't put up either.

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

3k is mediocre and it's not like he had Smith and no one else

He was the leading rusher for the team and that shouldn't happen

The most unpopular statement among Eagles fans is that RB Miles Sanders isn't that good, but you have to look at the Eagles Oline (it is the best run blocking Oline in the NFL - PFF agrees amongst most NFL team fans) and yet with that Oline Miles Sanders isn't separating himself in a way that you would think he would compared not just to Boston Scott but no name RBs on the team. Maurice Jones-Drew (MoJo) even stated that Miles Sanders is at best one of the worst starting Running Backs in the league. Not to bash him he's decent when healthy, but he's not an elite RB. If the Eagles had RB D. Henry Jalen Hurts wouldn't have to worry about passing hardly ever.

The fact that the HC had to have Jalen Hurts (or he chose to run more often than pass when pressured /RPO) so much last season isn't a good sign about the passing threat. As we know the Eagles didn't do well at the start of the season when they passed more than run. It wasn't until the coaching staff started to listen to the fans and run the heck out of the ball that the team not only finished the season leading in rushing but made the playoffs when start to mid season we thought that wouldn't happen.

37 minutes ago, JournalistMic said:

I think Jalen Hurts is slightly better than Tim Tebow but a very fair comparison at this point as Tebow took the Broncos to a playoff game too mainly by scrambling with his feet like Jalen. The fan base is strong for both of them, more so for Jalen Hurts whom is still a starting QB, but before Tebow was let go he was very popular by fans not even Bronco fans. Football is a business after all not just putting fans in seats, but television ratings. 
I think it is very clear that if Jalen Hurts struggles behind this fantastic Oline (best in Eagles Franchise History) and with this WR core (up there also with best if not the best WR Core) he'll lose his job as franchise QB & probably will be a backup QB for the rest of his NFL career. It's put up or shut up for Jalen & I'm sure he's well aware but that doesn't mean that he can't put up either.

I don't know about that.

37 minutes ago, JournalistMic said:

The most unpopular statement among Eagles fans is that RB Miles Sanders isn't that good, but you have to look at the Eagles Oline (it is the best run blocking Oline in the NFL - PFF agrees amongst most NFL team fans) and yet with that Oline Miles Sanders isn't separating himself in a way that you would think he would compared not just to Boston Scott but no name RBs on the team. Maurice Jones-Drew (MoJo) even stated that Miles Sanders is at best one of the worst starting Running Backs in the league. Not to bash him he's decent when healthy, but he's not an elite RB. If the Eagles had RB D. Henry Jalen Hurts wouldn't have to worry about passing hardly ever.

The fact that the HC had to have Jalen Hurts (or he chose to run more often than pass when pressured /RPO) so much last season isn't a good sign about the passing threat Jalen Hurts. As we know the Eagles didn't do well at the start of the season when they passed more than run. It wasn't until the coaching staff started to listen to the fans and run the heck out of the ball that the team not only finished the season leading in rushing but made the playoffs when start to mid season we thought that wouldn't happen.

Fyp

6 hours ago, JournalistMic said:

The fact that the HC had to have Jalen Hurts (or he chose to run more often than pass when pressured /RPO) so much last season isn't a good sign about the passing threat. As we know the Eagles didn't do well at the start of the season when they passed more than run. It wasn't until the coaching staff started to listen to the fans and run the heck out of the ball that the team not only finished the season leading in rushing but made the playoffs when start to mid season we thought that wouldn't happen.

Not to mention the back half of the schedule was filled with terrible teams and the NFL added an extra playoff team. 

So because it's ESP saying that should we assume Strong or Minshew will now be starting? Lol

18 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

So because it's ESP saying that should we assume Strong or Minshew will now be starting? Lol

One could only hope 

19 hours ago, JournalistMic said:

I think Jalen Hurts is slightly better than Tim Tebow 

I've said before on here that he's a working man's Tim Tebow, and that's not meant as a glowing endorsement 

3 hours ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

I've said before on here that he's a working man's Tim Tebow, and that's not meant as a glowing endorsement 

Tebow won a playoff game with his arm.....

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Tebow won a playoff game with his arm.....

So would a fired man's Tebow be more appropriate? 

2 minutes ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

So would a fired man's Tebow be more appropriate? 

Sounds good to me lol

On 6/28/2022 at 2:21 PM, JournalistMic said:

To be fair Jalen Hurts did pass three times more than he did run, and finished the season with an 87.2 rating. However watching the season it had the feel that he ran more than pass when it counted later in the season. It could've been that his best receiver was a rookie, and now with the veteran AJ Brown he might have a stellar year this season.

image.png.30567d1b6d342827cd6a080459cd1c09.png

Where exactly is Hurts only being credited with 4 fumbles last season?

Pro Football Reference credits him with 9. Looks like that site might have shuffled around who got credit for the fumbles. They probably credited some of those to the RB or maybe an offensive lineman (don't know if that is possible though).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HurtJa00.htm

image.thumb.png.9976175e64e488e40602f22489f6ba66.png

8 hours ago, Devaster said:

Where exactly is Hurts only being credited with 4 fumbles last season?

Pro Football Reference credits him with 9. Looks like that site might have shuffled around who got credit for the fumbles. They probably credited some of those to the RB or maybe an offensive lineman (don't know if that is possible though).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HurtJa00.htm

image.thumb.png.9976175e64e488e40602f22489f6ba66.png

Fumbles and how they are "assigned" are kinda weird. I know of more than a few that Wentz was credited with, when it was a snap into the ground. He fumbles everything though so I guess it made sense to just tack it on, ha.

55 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

Anyone seen his new corn rows ?

EagleVA is going to flip ... First earrings, then a bracelet, now this ...

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

EagleVA is going to flip ... First earrings, then a bracelet, now this ...

Is he more upset that the corn rows follow more of a spherical outline than a flat one?  

10 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Is he more upset that the corn rows follow more of a spherical outline than a flat one?  

You don't mess with the dome --- that's how we lose cell service!

Dreadlock Hurts was like 25-2, but he was pulled from the National Championship, so if Corn Row Hurts gets the Eagles to the SB, Strong can do the rest.  Let’s F’n Go!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

[Derrick Gunn went on to mention that he asked a few people about where Hurts was in his process. Gunn said, "One person said let me give you a scenario of what he went through in one day of practice. It was a ten-play scenario. He had three picks, four incompletions, and three sacks.”]

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/should_the_eagles_be_concerned_about_jalen_hurts_progress/s1_16481_37665597

According to D. Gun this was during OTAs. If this is what Hurts is doing in practice for any point in time then he’s going to be an issue again this year. I hope he can turn things around, but this isn’t going to win in the NFL. 

34 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

[Derrick Gunn went on to mention that he asked a few people about where Hurts was in his process. Gunn said, "One person said let me give you a scenario of what he went through in one day of practice. It was a ten-play scenario. He had three picks, four incompletions, and three sacks.”]

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/should_the_eagles_be_concerned_about_jalen_hurts_progress/s1_16481_37665597

According to D. Gun this was during OTAs. If this is what Hurts is doing in practice for any point in time then he’s going to be an issue again this year. I hope he can turn things around, but this isn’t going to win in the NFL. 

But, how does Hurts look in the mirror? Any good lockeroom speeches?

48 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Placeholder doing what placeholders do. Defense did their homework....question is, did Hurts. Hurts is proving this off season he will be one hell of a strength and conditioning coach when it's all said and done. That's his strength, not a QB.

Archived