Jump to content
Moderator6

Jalen Hurts discussion here

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, DBW said:

Bobrovsky while he hasn’t won a cup has had several solid seasons with other teams. He didn’t need to go anywhere. But the fans and media cried so much about the goaltender they signed bryz to a lifetime contract and they still pay him to go hunt bears in the woods.  
 

I could argue that Wentz was shown the door for that fresh start you mention.  How many people didn’t want him gone? The media turned on him so hard the organization had no choice.  

it’s common place in philly for the media to witch hunt.  philly loves the backups.  
 

Koy DEtmer, garcia, foles, etc.  do you even live here? Have you not paid any attention? 

 

Do you guys forget how bad Wentz got? He couldn't even hit a target ten feet away without it being behind them. His accuracy dropped to 57% in 2020 so even at 59% Jalen was better. Jalen at least could also place the ball ten feet away so the player could get up field. Jalen had issues but they were better than Wentz issues. Sounds like Jalen is at least addressing his issues which was the biggest issue with Wentz. After 2017, his head got so big nobody could tell him nothing and he refused to fix his ish.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DBW said:

There are certainly some who are worse than others at their witch hunts.  Angelo backed off after he realized knowledgeable nfl guys think highly of jalen.  De camera has since changed his opinion as well and is now a "wait and see” guy despite crying for his benching most of last season.  There are others I did not mention but those are the more widely followed I suppose.  It’s Philly - the backup qbs and goaltenders are the favorites and every coach should be fired the second they don’t win every game by 40 pts or 5 goals. Look what they did to girardi after what they did to Kapler. Giants look pretty good right now don’t they?  It’s just how it is around here. Worst sports media city to be in. 

That is true. I recently said how much better Drew Brees was but he's had a lot of mediocre seasons, and they stuck with him. Romo in Dallas and D. Carr in Oakland/LV would've been on the chopping block in no time, had they been in Philly. Our only SB, we lucked into. The plan wasn't exactly to split the season between two QBs but that's what happened. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vileborg said:

Do you guys forget how bad Wentz got? He couldn't even hit a target ten feet away without it being behind them. His accuracy dropped to 57% in 2020 so even at 59% Jalen was better. Jalen at least could also place the ball ten feet away so the player could get up field. Jalen had issues but they were better than Wentz issues. Sounds like Jalen is at least addressing his issues which was the biggest issue with Wentz. After 2017, his head got so big nobody could tell him nothing and he refused to fix his ish.

He was absolutely awful. One of the worst seasons a vet has had in my lifetime....we can all agree it was so damn bad..... Threw same amount of touchdowns as Hurts did last year in less games lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Look what the Phillies have done since Girardi was fired.  Maybe that was the right move.  They won 8 games in a row before today since firing Girardi.  Is that a coincidence?  Maybe.  Hard to prove that right now though.

The Phillies are who they are, which is also what they were.  They are better than they looked earlier on this season and worse than they look right now.  Firing Girardi definitely gave them a kick in the ass that spurred this hot streak…but with or without Girardi…they were always going to regress/climb to the same mean over the course of the season.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, eagle45 said:

The Phillies are who they are, which is also what they were.  They are better than they looked earlier on this season and worse than they look right now.  Firing Girardi definitely gave them a kick in the ass that spurred this hot streak…but with or without Girardi…they were always going to regress/climb to the same mean over the course of the season.

 

I don't disagree, but I also don't think Girardi got a raw deal here either.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2022 at 7:53 AM, eagle45 said:

I don't think anyone ever wanted Koy Detmer to start.  I don't think anyone ever wanted Jeff Garcia as a solution.  Patience with Mcnabb was wearing thin and his resume as a choker was getting pretty thick by the time Garcia had his little run, so that was a breath of fresh air.  No one really wanted him.  Foles?  Well, Foles was a SB MVP.

I didn't really view McNabb as a choker so much as Reid was just pitiful in big games. He's got one of the best QB's in the league now, and he barely won a SB and choked the championship game away last year. Fans know that JJ's defenses carried us because we had 0 receivers for McNabb to throw to. If Westbrook was hurt, we were done for, which I think legit happened a couple of playoff runs. 

Also, I seem to remember many fans wanting Garcia to take McNabb's place as the starting QB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hurts gets 3/4 of this year to prove he isn't a fraud. If he proves he is an NFL QB, great. If not.... no more talk about him. Pooooof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m just gonna root for Jalen Hurts from now on.

Go, Jalen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CouchKing said:

I’m just gonna root for Jalen Hurts from now on.

Go, Jalen!

That's what I'm doing. Do I think his limitations will ultimately be an issue, sure I do but I'm going into the season focusing on the best case scenario for him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2022 at 7:01 PM, eagle45 said:

Drew Brees is a HOF qb who was unquestionably not a big talent.  He succeeded despite natural talent.

I think it depends on how you define natural talent. To me natural talent is not the same as physical skills/athleticism at the Quarterback position. Brees had adequate athleticism but that was not his forte IMO. A position like CB or RB relies heavily on physical skills, a QB playing the position in the traditional way doesn't need to be able to run a 4.4 or bench 400 lbs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

I think it depends on how you define natural talent. To me natural talent is not the same as physical skills/athleticism at the Quarterback position. Brees had adequate athleticism but that was not his forte IMO. A position like CB or RB relies heavily on physical skills, a QB playing the position in the traditional way doesn't need to be able to run a 4.4 or bench 400 lbs.

But we have one of those lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Jalen Hurts should do commercials. Make some money. Get a couple free SUVs. 
 

He’s a snappy dresser. Everyone loves him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, eglz1 said:

I think it depends on how you define natural talent. To me natural talent is not the same as physical skills/athleticism at the Quarterback position. Brees had adequate athleticism but that was not his forte IMO. A position like CB or RB relies heavily on physical skills, a QB playing the position in the traditional way doesn't need to be able to run a 4.4 or bench 400 lbs.

This is an excellent point.  For any job, I think of talent as something that is innately advantageous and fulfills certain unteachable traits.  Usually, but not always, it’s also something that is discretely measurable.

For a WR…4.3 speed, height, strength, quickness are talent.

For a qb…4.5 speed is nice, but even that is so far down the list of what comprises talent.  Height, frame, arm strength….that’s talent.  Processing speed is something that can be improved (and can’t be measured well), but there are definitely limits unique to each qb of how well and fast they can process defensive alignments, progressions, and pull the trigger.  So that’s a talent too.  
 

 

And for everything that above that I just listed as my interpretation of talent at qb…Hurts ain’t got it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

This is an excellent point.  For any job, I think of talent as something that is innately advantageous and fulfills certain unteachable traits.  Usually, but not always, it’s also something that is discretely measurable.

For a WR…4.3 speed, height, strength, quickness are talent.

For a qb…4.5 speed is nice, but even that is so far down the list of what comprises talent.  Height, frame, arm strength….that’s talent.  Processing speed is something that can be improved (and can’t be measured well), but there are definitely limits unique to each qb of how well and fast they can process defensive alignments, progressions, and pull the trigger.  So that’s a talent too.  
 

 

And for everything that above that I just listed as my interpretation of talent at qb…Hurts ain’t got it.

I have a different interpretation of talent. There are a lot of physically gifted athletes that don't have talent (in a particular sport). Sam Mills was very short for a LB, but it would be crazy to claim he didn't succeed due to talent. Cris Carter was pretty slow for a WR, but he could sure play the position. I went to school with a kid that was 7' 1" and he couldn't play basketball (great size, but no talent). Talent is the ability to succeed at what you do. If a person plays the piano well, they have talent on the piano. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

I have a different interpretation of talent. There are a lot of physically gifted athletes that don't have talent (in a particular sport). Sam Mills was very short for a LB, but it would be crazy to claim he didn't succeed due to talent. Cris Carter was pretty slow for a WR, but he could sure play the position. I went to school with a kid that was 7' 1" and he couldn't play basketball (great size, but no talent). Talent is the ability to succeed at what you do. If a person plays the piano well, they have talent on the piano. 

That’s fine too, different perspective.  But if you go that general and inclusive with talent, then talent just becomes success.  Brees was immensely talented, Brady immensely talented, Ben Simmons has no talent because he’s a liability and his makeup limits his ability to succeed, Shawn Andrews had limited talent, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To put it more simply, I’d say that talent is what’s given to you.  Success is what you make of it.  Randy Moss was given more than Chris Carter.  Lavar Arrington was given more than Sam Mills.  Jeff George was given more than Drew Brees.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am thinking I need a QB1 jersey in my collection. Maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CouchKing said:

I am thinking I need a QB1 jersey in my collection. Maybe?

Foles or McNabb until all this gets figured out lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got #5 McNabb. Got #7 Vick. Got #11 Wentz.

Bought #9 Foles for father in law after SB win.

I’ll just wear my Wentz jersey this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CouchKing said:

Got #5 McNabb. Got #7 Vick. Got #11 Wentz.

Bought #9 Foles for father in law after SB win.

I’ll just wear my Wentz jersey this year.

If he starts doing really well, don't wear to the stadium lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CouchKing said:

Got #5 McNabb. Got #7 Vick. Got #11 Wentz.

Bought #9 Foles for father in law after SB win.

I’ll just wear my Wentz jersey this year.

Go ahead, you're obviously bad luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2022 at 3:05 AM, MF POON said:

I didn't really view McNabb as a choker so much as Reid was just pitiful in big games. He's got one of the best QB's in the league now, and he barely won a SB and choked the championship game away last year. Fans know that JJ's defenses carried us because we had 0 receivers for McNabb to throw to. If Westbrook was hurt, we were done for, which I think legit happened a couple of playoff runs. 

Also, I seem to remember many fans wanting Garcia to take McNabb's place as the starting QB. 

I love JJ's defense but his squad usually showed up short on big games.

 

Also yes Andy just didn't realize that 1 star WR paired with McNabb before the arrival of TO may have given Eagles a Superbowl trophy 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2022 at 3:59 AM, Jeep_man said:

I love JJ's defense but his squad usually showed up short on big games.

 

Also yes Andy just didn't realize that 1 star WR paired with McNabb before the arrival of TO may have given Eagles a Superbowl trophy 

Agreed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2022 at 8:59 AM, Jeep_man said:

I love JJ's defense but his squad usually showed up short on big games.

 

Also yes Andy just didn't realize that 1 star WR paired with McNabb before the arrival of TO may have given Eagles a Superbowl trophy 

 

23 minutes ago, MF POON said:

Agreed.

Agreed as well. Whereas Schwartz, Super Bowl apart, always produced in the playoffs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

 

Agreed as well. Whereas Schwartz, Super Bowl apart, always produced in the playoffs.

Also agreed, jjs defenses got shredded by the QBs that didn't mind winning games with short quick throws. The best example of this was the nfc championship game against the Cardinals when they just kept running Fitzgerald on short slants and drag routes over and over again. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...