Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

"LOSERS

Carson Strong

He’s clearly QB4 behind Hurts, Minshew, and Sinnett. His reps have been sparse; he didn’t even see any 11-on-11 looks on Sunday night. And when he has taken reps, he’s struggled with accuracy and decision-making. Strong doesn’t look anywhere near ready to play in a meaningful game. Practice squad candidate.

Gardner Minshew

Minshew Mania is not running wild in South Philly. QB2? More like QB poo! Because he stinks right now! OK, that’s harsh. Joking aside, Minshew just hasn’t looked good. Accuracy issues, questionable decision-making, holding onto the ball too long. And it’s not just like he’s a victim of playing on the second string. Sinnett is working with less talent than Minshew is and is reasonably doing well with his circumstances. Minshew is not coming close to maximizing his situation. The bad has outweighed the good for the mustache man.“

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2022/8/8/23297073/eagles-training-camp-winners-losers-idks-first-half-philadelphia-jalen-hurts-aj-brown-miles-sanders

Welp so much for just replacing Hurts with just anyone talk. 

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So should we officially rename the Nasty Nate award to the Carson Strong Award or the Minshew Mania Award considering how many dopes around here were fawning over these two and posting their pictures as their ID photo. 😂🤣😂

44 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

So should we officially rename the Nasty Nate award to the Carson Strong Award or the Minshew Mania Award considering how many dopes around here were fawning over these two and posting their pictures as their ID photo. 😂🤣😂

you wanna fight

The way I see it, best case you find a QB that is both- a superstar running and throwing it. And while a QB that is a star throwing it will be fine even if he can’t run, the reverse isn’t true.

Still if you are like me and want someone to be able to do both to a jaw-dropping level chances are someone who is already a monster running improving his throwing is more likely than a great thrower improving his ground game. In part because he just has to.

And despite some misguided opinions here, it’s not like Hurts has any physical deficiencies when it comes to throwing the ball. He has thrown perfect balls plenty of times and his ‘arm talent’ is excellent. 
What is lacking is consistency and making the right call all the time. Which is something that is to be expected with someone in his first full season.

I am very hopeful this will work this year. I expect 1200 from Brown, 1000 from Goedert, 800 from Smith and 600 from Watkins. So that alone is 3600 passing yards.. and he should break that 4000 even without the very significant running.

Maybe this is me being a homer, but if he can’t prove he can sling it, he will be gone and I’ll be ok with that.

Still I am a believer.

4 hours ago, Infam said:

The way I see it, best case you find a QB that is both- a superstar running and throwing it. And while a QB that is a star throwing it will be fine even if he can’t run, the reverse isn’t true.

I am very hopeful this will work this year. I expect 1200 from Brown, 1000 from Goedert, 800 from Smith and 600 from Watkins. So that alone is 3600 passing yards.. and he should break that 4000 even without the very significant running.

Why is that the best case?  Do you really want your $45M/year superstar QB running and being exposed to hits from all angles, without the protections afforded of playing in the pocket?  

As for your projected numbers...

200.gif

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Why is that the best case?  Do you really want your $45M/year superstar QB running and being exposed to hits from all angles, without the protections afforded of playing in the pocket?  

Saying you prefer a QB that can’t run (despite same skill throwing) feels pretty weird. It’s another tool to victory in your arsenal.

Besides having legs will help you escape from some guys that would otherwise bury you.

As for your projected numbers...

200.gif

I feel the need to add ‘if healthy’ here. If people get hurt that prediction goes out of the window in no time..

9 hours ago, Infam said:

Saying you prefer a QB that can’t run (despite same skill throwing) feels pretty weird. It’s another tool to victory in your arsenal.

Besides having legs will help you escape from some guys that would otherwise bury you.

I feel the need to add ‘if healthy’ here. If people get hurt that prediction goes out of the window in no time..

False dichotomy.  You stated that the best case is having a superstar runner and superstar passer as the ideal.  I would posit that when you have a superstar runner, that will always ret*ard their passing ability and never allow for the passing capability to match the running ability.  

For me, ideally, I'd like an elite passer, that has some mobility allowing him to move around the pocket and escape when necessary, but not as a first recourse.  Ultimately, it seems that as running ability increases, passing ability actually decreases, because they don't have to get better at moving within the pocket and keeping their eyes down field.  Instead, they are often time encouraged to just break the pocket and take off.  That works great in HS.  It works great in college.  In the NFL, however, the passing limitations catch up with the QB, and their running ability quickly erodes... leaving them as a less mobile, limited passer and quickly move out of the starting role.

Edit: Annoys me that I can't use the appropriate word I want to use because it has come to mean something else.  

39 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

False dichotomy.  You stated that the best case is having a superstar runner and superstar passer as the ideal.  I would posit that when you have a superstar runner, that will always **** their passing ability and never allow for the passing capability to match the running ability.  

For me, ideally, I'd like an elite passer, that has some mobility allowing him to move around the pocket and escape when necessary, but not as a first recourse.  Ultimately, it seems that as running ability increases, passing ability actually decreases, because they don't have to get better at moving within the pocket and keeping their eyes down field.  Instead, they are often time encouraged to just break the pocket and take off.  That works great in HS.  It works great in college.  In the NFL, however, the passing limitations catch up with the QB, and their running ability quickly erodes... leaving them as a less mobile, limited passer and quickly move out of the starting role.

giphy.gif

On 8/8/2022 at 9:55 PM, olsilverhair said:

you wanna fight

I guess talking about overhyped players can touch a nerve around here. 😂🤣😂

24 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Yeah Aaron Rodgers can be found anywhere too. 🙄

He described Aaron Rodgers 

7 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

He described Aaron Rodgers 

And all I’m saying is when you can’t get the unicorn of Rodgers then you use the guy you have and hope he improves especially if he’s young. Chasing after the unicorn does nothing but make the Eagles turn into the Browns. 

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

And all I’m saying is when you can’t get the unicorn of Rodgers then you use the guy you have and hope he improves especially if he’s young.

Off the top of my head about 20% of the league can run and throw pretty damn well

Jackson, Allen, Murray, Rodgers, Watson, Prescott, Herbert, Mahomes (somewhat)

It's not as rare as you think to be good at both 

13 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

Off the top of my head about 20% of the league can run and throw pretty damn well

Jackson, Allen, Murray, Rodgers, Watson, Prescott, Herbert, Mahomes (somewhat)

It's not as rare as you think to be good at both 

Allen just recently began to throw well. He was pretty awful actually earlier in his career. Jackson’s passing abilities have always been a debate and he also struggled earlier in his career. Kyler Murray wasn’t very great early either. So I guess it takes some time for these guys to truly show their potential. It should also be noted that everyone of the guys you mentioned have many more years of experience and and much better receivers that Hurts had to this season. I’ll also add that’s 8 players out of 32 teams. Not realistic to assume this is the norm. Also I wouldn’t consider Mahomes as a mobile quarterback. If he is then guys like Carson Wentz need to be considered too. Daniel Jones is more of a runner than Mahomes.

9 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Allen just recently began to throw well. He was pretty awful actually earlier in his career. Jackson’s passing abilities have always been a debate and he also struggled earlier in his career. Kyler Murray wasn’t very great early either. So I guess it takes some time for these guys to truly show their potential. It should also be noted that everyone of the guys you mentioned have many more years of experience and and much better receivers that Hurts had to this season. I’ll also add that’s 8 players out of 32 teams. Not realistic to assume this is the norm. 

I didn't add the unproven like Lawrence Lance and Fields, but that's three new starters that are expected to be good at both. I only think one works out, but again, not as rare 

Mariota in Atlanta is a mixed bag too and has had a really good year his second year that if hurts got those numbers, you guys would worship him.

Also Lamar has a great completion percentage and has thrown a bit of touchdowns in his career. I know of his playoff woes, but let's not pretend the kid isn't far more developed as a runner AND thrower than Hurts 

2 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

I didn't add the unproven like Lawrence Lance and Fields, but that's three new starters that are expected to be good at both. I only think one works out, but again, not as rare 

Last year Lawrence wasn’t better than Hurts at passing or running, but we can’t wait to get rid of our guy though right? 

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

Last year Lawrence wasn’t better than Hurts at passing or running, but we can’t wait to get rid of our guy though right? 

Oh definitely. That's why I said unproven and didn't add him to the first list. But I bet he smokes Hurts in the air this year and it won't even be close. 

30 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

Oh definitely. That's why I said unproven and didn't add him to the first list. But I bet he smokes Hurts in the air this year and it won't even be close. 

What happens if Hurts is the one who levels up his passing game? We still trying to replace him? Heck Hurts raised his completion percentage by 9 in a new offense and new coaching staff. If he does that again he’s completing 70% of his passes.

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

What happens if Hurts is the one who levels up his passing game? We still trying to replace him?

Of course not.  But, most of us realize who he is, and no amount of offseason work is going to make him not resort to his instincts to run.

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Of course not.  But, most of us realize who he is, and no amount of offseason work is going to make him not resort to his instincts to run.

Considering  how long it took many of you to realize that Wentz sucks I’m not that concerned with your opinions of Hurts. 

5 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

What happens if Hurts is the one who levels up his passing game? We still trying to replace him? Heck Hurts raised his completion percentage by 9 in a new offense and new coaching staff. If he does that again he’s completing 70% of his passes.

Maybe he does. 52 to 61 is just going from dead last to almost last. It's not like he made a jump to the middle of the pack. When Jackson jumped, he went from 58 to 66. For a man many people think cant pass, his numbers seem unfathomable with Hurts 

8 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Him sucking (actually middle of the pack) doesn't make Hurts good

If Hurts plays Friday, the Jets should be a pretty good test. Their defense was bad last year, but they have added two first round picks, two good free agents and get Lawson back from injury. It will only be two series at the most, but if Hurts can move the offense, it would go a long way toward indicating that he has made progress.

1 minute ago, jsb235 said:

If Hurts plays Friday, the Jets should be a pretty good test. Their defense was bad last year, but they have added two first round picks, two good free agents and get Lawson back from injury. It will only be two series at the most, but if Hurts can move the offense, it would go a long way toward indicating that he has made progress.

Definitely would help instill some confidence for fan base and team to see him kill it for two series. Jets are heading towards the right direction, but don't think they should cause too much resistance. A team Hurts and the rest of the offense should be able to work a few things out while still looking sharp 

On 8/9/2022 at 11:01 AM, Infam said:

Your man has a WAYS to go to be considered an elite or even above average passer. Has he made some good throws? Certainly. So have Minshew and  Strong, at least in practice. How many games have Minshew and Strong started for the Eagles? Hurts? Yeah, I'd expect better numbers and tape for Hurts.

Archived