Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

And you can't help but make this about Wentz.  I don't get it.  

Dude is absolutely obsessed with Wentz.  I used to think it was just troll shtick.  But even bad trolls usually realize when their shtick is tired and played out.  

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, downundermike said:

You need are talent to win.  This as a fact.

You need to be a QB to win.  This is a fact.

I want a guy who wins from the pocket, and will play for a long time.  A running QB will have a short shelf life.

Would you want Josh Allen? Serious question.

56 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I don't understand the question.

Jalen was fantastic though it was just one drive.  I liked how he got everyone involved. He did the right thing on that hit because he was going out of bound and not trying for more yards.   I thought Minshew Mania did OK with the 2nd string but too many 3 and outs.   Reid was a mess in the 3rd Qtr honestly but that last 18 play drive was pretty good.   

8 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

A QB who throws for 4500 yards and 37yds a year? Yes. That makes his running a bonus, not the base of his game 

7 hours ago, downundermike said:

In a hot second

7 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I don't understand the question.

Because Allen is definitely a running QB. He’s improved dramatically as a passer, but he ran it 122 times last year.

If Hurts can get anywhere close to Allen, then we want him, even if he flames out at 31 rather than 40.

6 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Because Allen is definitely a running QB. He’s improved dramatically as a passer, but he ran it 122 times last year.

If Hurts can get anywhere close to Allen, then we want him, even if he flames out at 31 rather than 40.

Keep trying. You failed this time, but keep trying

8th passing yards

7th in touchdowns

4th in first downs

None of these stats are totals, just passing

15 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

A QB who throws for 4500 yards and 37yds a year? Yes. That makes his running a bonus, not the base of his game 

He’s still a running QB and his stats were nearly identical to Jalen’s in his first 2 years. Then he got a top 10 WR and became a really good passer as well.

Jalen now has the same opportunity. 

32 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

He’s still a running QB and his stats were nearly identical to Jalen’s in his first 2 years. Then he got a top 10 WR and became a really good passer as well.

You don't understand the definition of running QB then. It's okay. Can be difficult for some. 

8 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

You don't understand the definition of running QB then. It's okay. Can be difficult for some. 

Lol. Don’t try and patronise me when you have no come back.

Mike was saying he wanted a pocket passer as QBs who run don’t have longevity. Allen is an example of a guy that you would absolutely want.

Allen was pretty much exactly the same as Hurts in his first 2 years. He evolved as a passer but he still runs just as much 

2 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Lol. Don’t try and patronise me when you have no come back.

Mike was saying he wanted a pocket passer as QBs who run don’t have longevity. Allen is an example of a guy that you would absolutely want.

Allen was pretty much exactly the same as Hurts in his first 2 years. He evolved as a passer but he still runs just as much 

C’mon man. It doesn’t take a lot of critical thinking skills here. Mike, and anyone else talking about "running QBs”, are referring to a type of player who’s game is defined more so by their ability and propensity to take off and run with the ball, and less so by their ability to read the defense, make good decisions and deliver accurate passes. What I typed out is much more long winded to say, which is why it’s often shortened, but a small bit of common sense goes a long way. Josh Allen’s game doesn’t revolve around his legs. Hurts’ game, until he shows otherwise, does. 

46 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

C’mon man. It doesn’t take a lot of critical thinking skills here. Mike, and anyone else talking about "running QBs”, are referring to a type of player who’s game is defined more so by their ability and propensity to take off and run with the ball, and less so by their ability to read the defense, make good decisions and deliver accurate passes. What I typed out is much more long winded to say, which is why it’s often shortened, but a small bit of common sense goes a long way. Josh Allen’s game doesn’t revolve around his legs. Hurts’ game, until he shows otherwise, does. 

If the point is that Hurts needs to show substantial growth this year in his passing as Allen did in his 3rd year so that his game doesn’t revolve so much around his legs then I agree. 

But I would still class Allen as a running QB, because it’s a big part of his game and their offense. Contrast that with Mahomes who is mobile QB but doesn’t run nearly as much. 

Just now, ManchesterEagle said:

If the point is that Hurts needs to show substantial growth this year in his passing as Allen did in his 3rd year so that his game doesn’t revolve so much around his legs then I agree. 

But I would still class Allen as a running QB, because it’s a big part of his game and their offense. Contrast that with Mahomes who is mobile QB but doesn’t run nearly as much. 

The point is, Allen’s game is not defined by his running. If Allen is kept in the pocket, he still gives every reason to be confident he can lead his offense with his arm. And to further this point, do it against other great teams. Hurts hasn’t shown that he can do that. 

26 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

The point is, Allen’s game is not defined by his running. If Allen is kept in the pocket, he still gives every reason to be confident he can lead his offense with his arm. And to further this point, do it against other great teams. Hurts hasn’t shown that he can do that. 

Allen’s game was defined by running until year 3. Hurts is entering year 3 and needs to show growth in the pocket, hopefully helped by AJ Brown and what should be a much improved D. If not we draft a QB in 2023.

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Josh Allen: 646 passes vs 122 rushes

Jalen Hurts: 432 passes vs 139 rushes 

There's a pretty big difference here. Hurts using his legs is/can be a good thing. Hurts using his legs this much is not. If you push it out over a full season (Hurts got injured) we're looking at sub 500 passes and what? 160 or so rushes? Didn't do the actual math, just a quick look so apologies if it's off.

As long as Jalen wins games, I don't care what he is called or how he does it.

At the end of the day that is all that matters. At least that is all that should matter to fans.

1 minute ago, pallidrone said:

At the end of the day that is all that matters. At least that is all that should matter to fans.

Yes and no. If Hurts goes 11/23 with no touchdowns, a couple of picks, but we still win...that's not really going to do well for us.

15 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Josh Allen: 646 passes vs 122 rushes

Jalen Hurts: 432 passes vs 139 rushes 

There's a pretty big difference here. Hurts using his legs is/can be a good thing. Hurts using his legs this much is not. If you push it out over a full season (Hurts got injured) we're looking at sub 500 passes and what? 160 or so rushes? Didn't do the actual math, just a quick look so apologies if it's off.

More like 155 and 2019 Allen is a better comparison but point taken. I’m in agreement. The balance needs to change.

He will still be a running QB though. But hopefully AJ Brown and another year in the system helps him find more of a balance.

28 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Yes and no. If Hurts goes 11/23 with no touchdowns, a couple of picks, but we still win...that's not really going to do well for us.

So stats are all that matters? I am just trying to figure where the middle is with some of you guys.

It is almost like you don't care if Jalen wins games unless he hits some magical number that you have created in your mind. Otherwise he is terrible.

47 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

So stats are all that matters? I am just trying to figure where the middle is with some of you guys.

It is almost like you don't care if Jalen wins games unless he hits some magical number that you have created in your mind. Otherwise he is terrible.

I don't think I said that? If he's out there laying an egg, but we still end up winning games, that's not a good thing.

1 hour ago, pallidrone said:

It’s all that matters to you and there is nothing wrong with that.

I watch football to be entertained so big plays is what I am all about.

I know, the concept that winning is actually not everything is pretty unamerican and foreign. All good. But I want to be entertained. 

Now in a perfect world we‘d just keep winning in a spectacular fashion..

4 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

4 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Allen’s game was defined by running until year 3. Hurts is entering year 3 and needs to show growth in the pocket, hopefully helped by AJ Brown and what should be a much improved D. If not we draft a QB in 2023.

You are looking at Allen's rushing totals, but not applying any analysis to the raw numbers.

image.png.a9b6006653c28524a2305aded1eb7c68.png

So, you expect Hurts this year to run 37 less times and pass 140 more times ??

Allen also had 4500 passing yards and 37 passing TD's in hear 3.  I just do not see Hurts doing it, as he will resort to running, and I bet that % stays over 20 %

49 minutes ago, Swoop said:

I don't think I said that? If he's out there laying an egg, but we still end up winning games, that's not a good thing.

Yeah the key is are winning games because of or in spite of Hurts.

The team is potentially loaded. There are a lot of hot takes on Hurts, but it’s possible he could say play in 16 games, take us to 11-6 and the division, throw for 3,600 yards and 27 TDS with 12 interceptions and run for 750 yards and 6 TDs. And then look pretty good but not great in a couple of playoff games. That sort of situation could leave the Eagles with difficult decisions in the off-season.

Archived