Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Allen comparisons are back? Amazing

I don't think Hurts will ever reach Allen's 2021 level, but he could surprise me. I sure hope he gets there, or even pretty close would be amazing.  Allen is all the craze now, but he could easily have a down year and not be the current NFL darling.  We've seen it happen numerous times with many QB's, just look at Wentz. 

4 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Exactly - there are many other QBs who took a big leap in year 3. Rivers, Ryan, Brees and Tannehill to name just a few.

Yes Allen has more physical gifts, but it still doesn’t change that he was also a QB who ran a lot and had very similar stats to Hurts in his first 2 years and then received a gift at receiver.

Plus Allen is a top 3 QB in the NFL. We want Hurts to realistically get into the 8-12 range. It is possible he takes that step with the help of Brown and more familiarity with the offense. It amazes me how many people are shut off to the possibility of a young raw QB continuing to get better.

7 minutes ago, MF POON said:

I don't think Hurts will ever reach Allen's 2021 level, but he could surprise me. I sure hope he gets there, or even pretty close would be amazing.  Allen is all the craze now, but he could easily have a down year and not be the current NFL darling.  We've seen it happen numerous times with many QB's, just look at Wentz. 

Most NFL players reach their prime around 26 years old. Hurts is still just 24, while Allen is 26 and hitting his stride. The dumbest part of all this is people don’t think a 24 year old can improve, but are putting their hopes in a quarterback who can’t beat out Sinnett with bad knees. 

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

Most NFL players reach their prime around 26 years old. Hurts is still just 24, while Allen is 26 and hitting his stride.

Allen is also 6'5" with an absolute canon for a right arm.

Hurts is not going to grow 4 inches, and not going to have an arm transplant.

lol, I can't take the criticisms seriously anymore. The repeated use of the word canon has just made this laughable 😂

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Allen is also 6'5" with an absolute canon for a right arm.

Hurts is not going to grow 4 inches, and not going to have an arm transplant.

Joe Montana had an average arm at best and he’s one of the best who ever played the position. Just cause a guy has a cannon for an arm doesn’t mean he’s going to work out. I’d take 45 year old armed Tom Brady over most of the big armed guys you all are obsessed with today. 

Joe Montana had an average arm at best and he’s one of the best who ever played the position. Just cause a guy has a cannon for an arm doesn’t mean he’s going to work out. I’d take 45 year old armed Tom Brady over most of the big armed guys you all are obsessed with today. 

So you would take QB's over RB's, good to know.

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

So you would take QB's over RB's, good to know.

No I would take a winner over your obsession over a big arm that can’t hit the side of a barn.

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

No I would take a winner over your obsession over a big arm that can’t hit the side of a barn.

Josh Allen completed 69% of his passes year 3, I don't think Hurts gets close to that, especially if he has as many attempts as Allen.

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Josh Allen completed 69% of his passes year 3, I don't think Hurts gets close to that, especially if he has as many attempts as Allen.

Tell me what’s Carson Strong done in this league that has you all coo coo for coco puffs? Nothing other than being named Carson and having a big arm. 🙄 Anyways Jalen hasn’t entered his third season yet while Allen is going to his 5th and once again entering his prime. Let’s see what Jalen does before we judge. Yeah you’re really rooting for Hurts to succeed…. 🙄

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Tell me what’s Carson Strong done in this league that has you all coo coo for coco puffs? Nothing other than being named Carson and having a big arm. 🙄 Anyways Jalen hasn’t entered his third season yet while Allen is going to his 5th and once again entering his prime. Let’s see what Jalen does before we judge. Yeah you’re really rooting for Hurts to succeed…. 🙄

Why do you have to bring up people irrelevant to the discussion.

Yes, this is Jalen Hurts third season in the league.  To be on pay with Allen's third season, he has to complete 69% of his passes, while throwing the ball 140 more times than last year, with 4500 yards, 37 TD's and 10 interceptions.

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Why do you have to bring up people irrelevant to the discussion.

Yes, this is Jalen Hurts third season in the league.  To be on pay with Allen's third season, he has to complete 69% of his passes, while throwing the ball 140 more times than last year, with 4500 yards, 37 TD's and 10 interceptions.

It’s completely relevant to your ridiculous thoughts that big arm means good football player when it doesn’t. You want to make it seem like the difference between Hurts and Allen statistically is great, but actually it’s not. Allen’s first two seasons passer ratings were 67.9 and 85.3. Jalen’s first two seasons were 77.6 and 87.2. Also Allen in his second season threw 461 passes while Jalen threw 432. Also let’s add to the fact that Allen at this point in his career started in 27 games while Jalen has only started in 19. In reality Jalen is pacing on par with Allen at this point in his career, and frankly Allen didn’t turn things around till he worked with some people and got better weapons. But again I’m ROOTING FOR JALEN TO GET BETTER. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

5 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

Unlike both Hurts and Allen, Jones statistically regressed from year one to year two. Jones also is an example of big arm/big body doesn’t mean good. 

7 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Unlike both Hurts and Allen, Jones statistically regressed from year one to year two. Jones also is an example of big arm doesn’t mean good. 

I wouldnt say Jones has a big arm, but it's better than Hurts's. Allen threw 10 TD's his first year and only completed 53% of his passes & Hurts threw 6 TD's his first year while only completing 52% of his passes. Hard to regress from that compared to Jones who threw 24 TD's his first year and completed 62% of his passes. 

1 hour ago, MF POON said:

Allen has progressed every year he had 2 back to back seasons of great numbers. Wentz regressed not the same not even close. What the hell is the Allen comparisons for every damn QB all of a sudden ?

11 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

I wouldnt say Jones has a big arm, but it's better than Hurts's. Allen threw 10 TD's his first year and only completed 53% of his passes & Hurts threw 6 TD's his first year while only completing 52% of his passes. Hard to regress from that compared to Jones who threw 24 TD's his first year and completed 62% of his passes. 

Jones passer rating, touchdowns, passer rating, attempts, and completions all dropped from year one to year two despite playing in more games. Jones did not show any growth whatsoever compared to Hurts despite playing in 26 games  to Jalen’s 19 in the same span. Not to mention unlike Jones, Jalen took his team to the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Allen has progressed every year he had 2 back to back seasons of great numbers. Wentz regressed not the same not even close. What the hell is the Allen comparisons for every damn QB all of a sudden ?

Wentz is another big guy/big arm that didn’t amount to much. This idea that big guy/big arm automatically equals success isn’t real. 

Wentz is another big guy/big arm that didn’t amount to much. This idea that big guy/big arm automatically equals success isn’t real. 

I agree, I'm just getting annoyed with the Allen comparisons lol. Physically yes Wentz is more comparable but, Wentz was a head case ahole who doesn't do sheet when it matters. Allen so far has been getting better and better in big games. 

17 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Jones passer rating, touchdowns, passer rating, attempts, and completions all dropped from year one to year two despite playing in more games. Jones did not show any growth whatsoever compared to Hurts despite playing in 26 games compared to Jalen’s 19 in the same span. Not to mention unlike Jones, Jalen took his team to the playoffs. 

lol it's much easier to regress when you come out and put up 24 passing TD's and complete 62% compared to a guy who thew 6 TD's and 52%. Hurts had nowhere to go but up from there. Jones also has had by far the worst coaching & offensive line so far in his career of the three QB's mentioned. Im hardly impressed by 16 passing TD's in 15 games or 61% completion rate nor am i impressed by the Eagles making the playoffs with Hurts under center. We got 4 freebies against teams led by Trevor Siemian, Taylor Heinicke, Garrett Gilbert & Mike Glennon. You replace those QB's with the guys we'll face this year(Wentz, Jones & Winston) and we likely only win 7 games last year. We played like a 7 win team in the playoffs.

Just now, Bwestbrook36 said:

I agree, I'm just getting annoyed with the Allen comparisons lol. Physically yes Wentz is more comparable but, Wentz was a head case ahole who doesn't do sheet when it matters. Allen so far has been getting better and better in big games. 

The Allen comparisons come from an idea that simply a player can improve with experience. That doesn’t mean anyone expecting Jalen to turn into a top 5 quarterback by his third season. It means this idea that he’s just what he is though isn’t true. Heck even DUM went from writing that Hurts was basically a running back playing quarterback to now comparing him to NFL starting level quarterbacks. That’s just in his second season and frankly he’s full of doubts when it comes to Hurts. So the truth is that Allen’s size and arm had nothing to do with his emergence as an elite player. Being gifted with those attributes certainly help, but there are plenty of big guy/big arm quarterbacks that amount to squat. Allen’s determination to improve and the Bills surrounding him with more talent also led to that improvement. All we are saying is Jalen has shown a determination to improve and the Eagles have surrounded him with more talent. Let’s see what happens, because like you and I both mentioned before I doesn’t matter what we think. The Eagles will play whomever they choose at quarterback. Since it’s Jalen at least for now I choose to root for him to succeed rather than against him. 

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Allen comparisons come from an idea that simply a player can improve with experience. That doesn’t mean anyone expecting Jalen to turn into a top 5 quarterback by his third season. It means this idea that he’s just what he is though isn’t true. Heck even DUM went from writing that Hurts was basically a running back playing quarterback to now comparing him to NFL starting level quarterbacks. That’s just in his second season and frankly he’s full of doubts when it comes to Hurts. So the truth is that Allen’s size and arm had nothing to do with his emergence as an elite player. Being gifted with those attributes certainly help, but there are plenty of big guy/big arm quarterbacks that amount to squat. Allen’s determination to improve and the Bills surrounding him with more talent also led to that improvement. All we are saying is Jalen has shown a determination to improve and the Eagles have surrounded him with more talent. Let’s see what happens, because like you and I both mentioned before I doesn’t matter what we think. The Eagles will play whomever they choose at quarterback. Since it’s Jalen at least for now I choose to root for him to succeed rather than against him. 

I understand why they are comparing Allen with the improvement and with the accuracy issues. I'm not saying Hurts can't improve but, what Allen did was rare usually guys that struggle with accuracy in college end up having the same issues in the pros. Most people had Allen pegged as a bust before he was even drafted because of it. 

So now that Allen did it we all of a sudden think anyone can do it? That's where I have the problem. Allen has the physical tools and the mental aspect down before entering the league so he didn't have as much of an uphill battle as Hurts does because he does struggle with the mental aspects and he doesn't have the physical tools arm wise to make up for the late reads and down field throws. 

Saying all that I know he will improve he works to hard not too. The thing that we will all be wondering is will it be enough? Will the mental aspect improve? Those are the questions I'm looking to be answered. 

Just now, KDUB1510 said:

lol it's much easier to regress when you come out and put up 24 passing TD's and complete 62% compared to a guy who thew 6 TD's and 52%. Hurts had nowhere to go but up from there. Jones also has had by far the worst coaching & offensive line so far in his career of the three QB's mentioned. Im hardly impressed by 16 passing TD's in 15 games or 61% completion rate nor am i empresas by the Eagles making the playoffs with Hurts under center. We got 4 freebies against teams led by Trevor Siemian, Taylor Heinicke, Garrett Gilbert & Mike Glennon. You replace those QB's with the guys we'll face this year(Wentz, Jones & Winston) and we likely only win 7 games last year. We played like a 7 win team in the playoffs.

It’s not Jalen’s fault he played in less games as a rookie, and the Giants played a similar schedule as the Eagles las year. Jones tds dropped by double digits. Lol He didn’t progress, he regressed despite having more experience. Most quarterbacks don’t go backwards from year one to year two. In his third year he basically leveled off to year one with no improvement.  Jones seems to be he is what he is, and that can be shown through the fact of the amount of seasons and games he has under his belt. Still this is also his 4th season, he’s only 25, and perhaps with a new coach that guy could find out the best way to use the player. The problem with most teams is they’re so obsessed with trying to find the next big guy they give up too quickly on their guy. Like it or not Jalen’s the Eagles starting quarterback. Carson Strong you avatar (big arm guy)  probably doesn’t even make this team. 

13 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Since it’s Jalen at least for now I choose to root for him to succeed rather than against him. 

Not rooting against him, just being honest about his trajectory.

I mean, if he succeeds all these will grow in value.

8AAC5A02-FDD2-4A3E-B5BA-703BBB452BC8.thumb.jpeg.77b5804f1d85df35dbec4bdd71ea2b13.jpeg92AA1DF5-5B99-4369-AC06-9985B7BBF03A.thumb.jpeg.dfe8edd16c3b3ec3c2a7f9b826cac614.jpeg

Archived