Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

26 minutes ago, NOTW said:

This is just my opinion and I could be wrong, but I don't think they care about winning this year for real.  Everyone says they're in it for winning.  But this is a "rebuild" (I know, there's not a true rebuild in the NFL).  Hurts was out so they also pulled a bunch of starters at the last minute and said why bother.  They probably wanted to evaluate Hurts with the starting O line but if he's not in there, why bother risking injury to O line and others.  

This is an evaluation year.  The new coaches and schemes, which players are going be part of Sirianni's plans going forward and which should be replaced.  Is Hurts the guy?  You don't want to risk Hurts getting injured or making his abdomen pain worse for just a preseason game.  They know he's the starter.  They also had no idea what it was when it came up all of a sudden, so best to take precaution. 

I disagree.  Ertz and Brooks are still with the team as are others over 30.  If this was a true rebuild, they'd be gone by now.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bamabird said:

You have a young, healthy, QB with a heart of a bull and all you do is bag on him! Why no give him at least 6 games?

You have the top receiver in college football, Heisman winner and bag on him because your backup QB that is running for his life can't get the ball to him!

You know you are absolutely right. We do have a young QB who seems to have the full support of his team mates behind him.

I guess the problem is last year was just a complete disaster and we really don't know what to expect from this team. But after a down year I guess people are concerned we are going to see more of the same. 

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

Weird that it came on that fast, he was warming up and dancing just before.

Neither he nor Kelce played. 😂

55 minutes ago, Procus said:

I disagree.  Ertz and Brooks are still with the team as are others over 30.  If this was a true rebuild, they'd be gone by now.

Well I already said there is no true rebuild in the NFL.  It's not they way other sports might do it.  The contracts they have with Brooks and Johnson make them unable to cut without too much dead money.  They also want a strong O line to give Hurts a chance to develop.  Ertz has been on the trading block and only has 1 year left, and they will get a comp pick if he walks.  They got rid of Jeffrey, DeSean Jackson, Peters, they fired their coach and traded their starting QB.  They are collecting future draft picks and trying to transition into getting younger.  That's a "rebuild" in the NFL.  It's opposite of what they were doing the last several years after the Super Bowl win.

1 hour ago, Bamabird said:

Not true. I have grown up a long suffering Falcons fans. I became an Eagles when McNabb was QB. I loved watching him play!!

After that I was a Falcons fan 1st and an Eagles fan 2nd. Just like I was raised a GA Bulldog, but attended Bama and I am a fan of both schools that hate each other. Bama is 1st and GA is 2nd.

You're not an Eagles fan, never were.  You enjoyed watching McNabb play, that's different.

17 hours ago, Vileborg said:

Hurts went to the hospital. Had a stomach infection. Told to rest for a few days but will be fine.

His tummy hurts.

I’ll see myself out now.  

25 minutes ago, time2rock said:

His tummy hurts.

I’ll see myself out now.  

He must have eaten one of those...

Hurts donuts.

Hurts, don't it?

:groovy:

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

They got rid of Jeffrey, DeSean Jackson, Peters, they fired their coach and traded their starting QB.  They are collecting future draft picks and trying to transition into getting younger.  That's a "rebuild" in the NFL.  It's opposite of what they were doing the last several years after the Super Bowl win.

I get what you're saying - but remember that Jeffrey and Peters were absolutely shot - they have nothing left in the tank.  Jackson, in addition to being injured for the better part of 2 years became a liability with his Hitler tweet.

28 minutes ago, Procus said:

I get what you're saying - but remember that Jeffrey and Peters were absolutely shot - they have nothing left in the tank.  Jackson, in addition to being injured for the better part of 2 years became a liability with his Hitler tweet.

Of course.  But Howie has admitted to holding onto older players and needing to get younger.  They fired a SB winning coach and traded the franchise QB for a 2nd year unproven player.  They're collecting draft picks, Howie admitted that and they have been non-committal on Hurts.  One of the reasons Lurie said he fired Doug was that Doug wanted to fix it and win now, and he said that it might take a couple years to rebuild the team.  The owner of the franchise said that.  Again, the NFL is different.  You're always going to have veterans on the roster and guys you can't get rid of because of contracts.  Its also easy to bounce back and be competitive.  After Chip left, they won a SB in 2 years with a guy who was never a head coach before and a 2nd year QB and then a journeyman QB took over.  The NFL is crazy like that.

19 hours ago, NOTW said:

traded the franchise QB for a 2nd year unproven player.  

Wentz was no franchise QB, if he was he'd still be on the team.......dude is only 28.

3 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Wentz was no franchise QB, if he was he'd still be on the team.......dude is only 28.

Can’t be mean to their god. It gets people pretty angry around these parts.

21 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You know you are absolutely right. We do have a young QB who seems to have the full support of his team mates behind him.

I guess the problem is last year was just a complete disaster and we really don't know what to expect from this team. But after a down year I guess people are concerned we are going to see more of the same. 

Not for nothing, but everyone is so obsessed with this quarterback, but are we sure any of these coaches can actually coach? Much of these practices by the Eagles have been very light. We keep hearing how he’s a competitor, but can we really say that the players competed against the Patriots? We keep hearing about how he’s going to put players in positions to succeed, but have we actually seen this happen? They’re barley practicing, aren’t playing in preseason so how in the world will this team be ready come week one? 

On 8/20/2021 at 11:43 AM, nipples said:

Accuracy is a result of mechanics, which can be coached. 

His arm strength is fine. May not have a howitzer but it’s plenty strong to be a successful nfl QB. To an extent this is also something that can be improved with better throwing mechanics. Better mechanics means more torque leading to improved velocity. 

Besides leadership, what does he tangibly have that distinguishes him from any qb in the nfl?

On 8/21/2021 at 11:38 AM, EagleVA said:

He was the franchise, they gave him $100m contract, then they traded him after things got bad.

On 8/21/2021 at 11:41 AM, EazyEaglez said:

Can’t be mean to their god. It gets people pretty angry around these parts.

Not me my man, I was critical of Wentz especially last year. The topic was is this a "rebuild?"

7 minutes ago, NOTW said:

He was the franchise, they gave him $100m contract, then they traded him after things got bad.

Not me my man, I was critical of Wentz especially last year. The topic was i  making major changes in a "rebuild "

None of the moves made sense. If they didn’t believe in Wentz then why pay him? If they did believe in him then why draft Hurts? Even better question is if they didn’t believe in Wentz then why let the SB MVP walk out the door? Bottom line is all of this fell apart, because Howie wanted to show he’s the smartest guy in the room. That’s why we keep picking projects for higher round picks. That’s why the Eagles believe themselves to be a quarterback factory. They think they’re so cutting edge with their mindsets,  framework, and their talks of "collaborative effort” nonsense. This is the bad side of Howie winning executive of the year and the Eagles winning that bowl. These FO people think they’re so smart anyone can just do what they tell them to do and win. 

19 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Things are getting bad in Indy before he's taken one snap in a game, there's a reporter that wants him gone in favor of Eason.

Other's are looking at what-ifs concerning the Colts not making the move for Wentz, they think the Colts should have let another team deal with the oft-injured QB

While I hate to give dumbarse credit, I have to, Howie made a good move in getting rid of Wentz, it helped rectify the horrible moves he made to get the guy. 

13 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Not for nothing, but everyone is so obsessed with this quarterback, but are we sure any of these coaches can actually coach? Much of these practices by the Eagles have been very light. We keep hearing how he’s a competitor, but can we really say that the players competed against the Patriots? We keep hearing about how he’s going to put players in positions to succeed, but have we actually seen this happen? They’re barley practicing, aren’t playing in preseason so how in the world will this team be ready come week one? 

But on the flip side of that this team has had a terrible injury record the last few years. I think it's refreshing to see them try something a little different? I mean look it may not work out but then again maybe it does. At this point we just don't know.

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But on the flip side of that this team has had a terrible injury record the last few years. I think it's refreshing to see them try something a little different? I mean look it may not work out but then again maybe it does. At this point we just don't know.

What exactly is different? The last few years where we have had preseason, the starters have still barely played.

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

What is different about resting vets once a week in practice and not playing starters in preseason games? We've been doing this since we won the Super Bowl and the results have been the opposite of what the team tried to accomplish. We enter the season less prepared, dig a hole we have to try to climb out of and have to play our healthy starters more during each game because we're behind. Players continue to get hurt because --- football.

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

How do we even know if this offensive line can block for Hurts and his scrambling style? They have barley played together outside of practices that are limited. Apparently the word is the Eagles might not play their starters giants the Jets either. It’s like the Eagles are planning to use their first couple of games to get through their inexperience together. I’m not ready to say Sirianni can’t coach, but this all feels very concerning. We already have Lane Johnson calling them out in public for their actions on the field. I’m sure he’s not the only player with concerns too. 

22 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Things are getting bad in Indy before he's taken one snap in a game, there's a reporter that wants him gone in favor of Eason.

Other's are looking at what-ifs concerning the Colts not making the move for Wentz, they think the Colts should have let another team deal with the oft-injured QB

While I hate to give dumbarse credit, I have to, Howie made a good move in getting rid of Wentz, it helped rectify the horrible moves he made to get the guy. 

None of that negates that at one time  he was the franchise QB they invested a $100m contract. I'm not defending Carson or anything, the discussion was is this a rebuilding team.

23 hours ago, EagleVA said:

He was a franchise QB. Not sure if he got cocky, insecure, or jumpy after the injuries, but his issues are mental and he's not anymore. Maybe Frank turns that around, but he was until his brain got in the way. That's a lot to come back from though. We'll see.

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

What is different about resting vets once a week in practice and not playing starters in preseason games? We've been doing this since we won the Super Bowl and the results have been the opposite of what the team tried to accomplish. We enter the season less prepared, dig a hole we have to try to climb out of and have to play our healthy starters more during each game because we're behind. Players continue to get hurt because --- football.

Well no hang on people are moaning that the practices are too short and that the starters aren't playing enough snaps in preseason. Can't have it both ways. This team has suffered with injuries so maybe Sirianni is taking a different approach to try and limit injuries. 

Archived