Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

10 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well no hang on people are moaning that the practices are too short and that the starters aren't playing enough snaps in preseason. Can't have it both ways. This team has suffered with injuries so maybe Sirianni is taking a different approach to try and limit injuries. 

It's not really about having it both ways. It's long been suggested that the soft practices and lack of time in PS leaves them unprepared for when bullets go live in the regular season, and THAT is leading to more injuries.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well no hang on people are moaning that the practices are too short and that the starters aren't playing enough snaps in preseason. Can't have it both ways. This team has suffered with injuries so maybe Sirianni is taking a different approach to try and limit injuries. 

First, I've been complaining about the light practice = less injuries theory for years. This isn't something new and we haven't seen a decrease in injuries in previous seasons. We have seen unprepared teams begin the season losing games they should have won. 

The NFL went from 4 preseason weeks to 3 and added 1 regular season game. Nobody expects starters to play a whole preseason game, but every series they get in before the season starts will help them prepare. The CBA has limited what teams can do to prepare for a season. 2 years ago, Doug took the team bowling instead of having a practice on one of those opportunities. We began the year 1-2 and 3-4. We had a late bye week where they "rested" and we lost 3 more games in a row.  Last year, nobody had a lot of team preparation due to covid and there were teams hurt with injuries worst than us (Jets, 49ers).  There simply is no truth to the idea that lack of preparation decreases injuries. On top of that players can get hurt in non-football ways (see J. McDougle, Q Demps, JPP, etc... ) Things happen. Jerome Brown lost his life in a single car accident. I've seen kickers and linebackers end up on IR after celebrating a play. 

IMO, anybody that doesn't think practice is worth the risk isn't serious about winning in a professional sport. I will always be on this side of the fence. Injuries will continue to happen no matter what anybody does to prevent them. 

9 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

What exactly is different? The last few years where we have had preseason, the starters have still barely played.

Injuries still hit this team hard and they have looked sloppy early. If I’m being honest so far I don’t see a lot of difference in Pederson and Sirianni yet. 

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

Injuries still hit this team hard and they have looked sloppy early. If I’m being honest so far I don’t see a lot of difference in Pederson and Sirianni yet. 

I expect a shitshow to start the season.

Hell, most likely lasting the season.

1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Well they were a 4 win team last season. Best thing to do is have very low expectations. 

On 8/21/2021 at 12:38 PM, EagleVA said:

Wentz was no franchise QB, if he was he'd still be on the team.......dude is only 28.

Exactly couldn’t even win a game 

On 8/21/2021 at 11:47 AM, EazyEaglez said:

Not for nothing, but everyone is so obsessed with this quarterback, but are we sure any of these coaches can actually coach? Much of these practices by the Eagles have been very light. We keep hearing how he’s a competitor, but can we really say that the players competed against the Patriots? We keep hearing about how he’s going to put players in positions to succeed, but have we actually seen this happen? They’re barley practicing, aren’t playing in preseason so how in the world will this team be ready come week one? 

14 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Just my opinion but I really don't think they are trying to win this year and they aren't concerned about starting slow and losing games.  I mean, sure every player and coach wants to win.  But I think they are taking their time to transition with the new coaches and scheme and evaluate the players.  My reasoning:

• Lurie said one reason he fired Doug was that Doug wanted to fix it and win now, and that he knew it would take time to rebuild and retool the roster.
  • Howie wants to get younger and has been collecting draft picks for the future.
  • They have been non-committal to Hurts as starter even though he clearly is the starter.  
  • Having 2 (maybe 3) picks in the 1st round next year everyone assumes they'll be interested in a QB.
  • When Hurts couldn't play the other night, they pulled the other starters.  So it wasn't about the team or offense getting reps and being prepared for week 1, it was about evaluating Hurts.  If the offense as a whole has a slow start due to lack of reps, they clearly don't care.

56 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Just my opinion but I really don't think they are trying to win this year and they aren't concerned about starting slow and losing games.  I mean, sure every player and coach wants to win.  But I think they are taking their time to transition with the new coaches and scheme and evaluate the players.  My reasoning:

• Lurie said one reason he fired Doug was that Doug wanted to fix it and win now, and that he knew it would take time to rebuild and retool the roster.
  • Howie wants to get younger and has been collecting draft picks for the future.
  • They have been non-committal to Hurts as starter even though he clearly is the starter.  
  • Having 2 (maybe 3) picks in the 1st round next year everyone assumes they'll be interested in a QB.
  • When Hurts couldn't play the other night, they pulled the other starters.  So it wasn't about the team or offense getting reps and being prepared for week 1, it was about evaluating Hurts.  If the offense as a whole has a slow start due to lack of reps, they clearly don't care.

The Eagles in many ways contradict almost all your points too. 
If they are looking to not win now then why sign so many veteran defenders and extend Johnson and Barnett? 
The same applies for your second point with an added why keep Ertz? Just trade the guy. 
As to your third point well it seems like the Eagles can’t wait to throw in these picks to go get Watson or some other quarterback which seems more like the reason why the Eagles aren’t committed to Hurts who by the way is only 23 years old. 
The last point is confusing too, because if they just wanted to evaluate Hurts then why did they barely play him the first game, scratch him so quickly in the second game, and now it seems likely won’t play him in the 3rd game? Feels like their evaluation stage on Hurts is over. Let’s also not forget instead of the Eagles bringing in and keeping a young developmental  quarterback they actually cut that dude and brought in Mullens. Why have a vet number 3 quarterback if the plan is to get younger and develop talent? Nothing about this team says they aren’t trying to run it back. Heck truth be told they didn’t even want to trade Wentz. He forced his way out. Don’t forget the fired Doug before that happened. 

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

I don’t necessarily disagree that that is their approach, but I still think they’re doing a disservice to the players by going too soft on them. They still need their bodies conditioned to play the game for 60 minutes. 

I’m ok with them sucking while they try to establish which players to ultimately build around, but how do they even figure that out when they don’t have the players they hope to build around properly conditioned?

31 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I don’t necessarily disagree that that is their approach, but I still think they’re doing a disservice to the players by going too soft on them. They still need their bodies conditioned to play the game for 60 minutes. 

I’m ok with them sucking while they try to establish which players to ultimately build around, but how do they even figure that out when they don’t have the players they hope to build around properly conditioned?

I agree, I'm just guessing at their motivation.  Nick might be trying a different approach, he might not know what he's doing, he might be a genius, who knows.

58 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Eagles in many ways contradict almost all your points too. 
If they are looking to not win now then why sign so many veteran defenders and extend Johnson and Barnett? 
The same applies for your second point with an added why keep Ertz? Just trade the guy. 
As to your third point well it seems like the Eagles can’t wait to throw in these picks to go get Watson or some other quarterback which seems more like the reason why the Eagles aren’t committed to Hurts who by the way is only 23 years old. 
The last point is confusing too, because if they just wanted to evaluate Hurts then why did they barely play him the first game, scratch him so quickly in the second game, and now it seems likely won’t play him in the 3rd game? Feels like their evaluation stage on Hurts is over. Let’s also not forget instead of the Eagles bringing in and keeping a young developmental  quarterback they actually cut that dude and brought in Mullens. Why have a vet number 3 quarterback if the plan is to get younger and develop talent? Nothing about this team says they aren’t trying to run it back. Heck truth be told they didn’t even want to trade Wentz. He forced his way out. Don’t forget the fired Doug before that happened. 

Hey I might be wrong, I am only guessing here.  It's just the vibe I get but we'll see.  To answer your points:

• why sign so many veteran defenders: because they suck at drafting defensive back 7, freed up cap space to sign temps as stop gaps which Howie has always done.
  • and extend Johnson and Barnett: Barnett is young and a guy you can grow with.  Johnson was just converting salary into signing bonus to help the cap, no years added.
  • why keep Ertz:  he's been on the trading block but they have a high asking price.  They will at least get a comp pick when he signs elsewhere, and with a very young and unproven WR group might as well keep a talented weapon especially to help your young QB.  Same for O line, hard to evaluate Hurts if he's running for his life.
  • it seems like the Eagles can’t wait to throw in these picks to go get Watson or some other quarterback:  this is agreeing with what I said, that they are keeping options open at QB although I think the Watson thing is just rumors.  Reporters love to "link" the Eagles to every rumor out there.
  • why limit Hurts 1st game:  starters are always 1 or maybe 2 series in the first preseason game, they probably expected to evaluate in the 2nd game but...
  • Why scratch quickly in the 2nd game:  he was fine in warmups but then complained about severe abdomen pain.  Nick said Jalen is usually very tough so the fact that he was complaining about it gave them concern and they rushed him to the hospital.  Why would you risk an injury in that situation?  It was all of a sudden.
  • Many teams have journeyman veteran backups.  it helps the young guys to learn from how they practice, prepare, review film, get their feedback, etc.  
  • Run what back?  They won 4 games last season.  They fired their coach, traded their QB and are collecting draft picks.  In the NFL you never have a true "rebuild" where you gut the roster, it's always a transition.  But they have Herbig ready to replace Brooks, Dickerson presumably to replace Kelce, Goedert ready to replace Ertz, Sweat perhaps to replace Graham, etc.  They're thinking future.  If (and I mean if) this team becomes a Super bowl champion again a lot of the veterans on the team currently won't be part of that championship roster.

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

Hey I might be wrong, I am only guessing here.  It's just the vibe I get but we'll see.  To answer your points:

• why sign so many veteran defenders: because they suck at drafting defensive back 7, freed up cap space to sign temps as stop gaps which Howie has always done.
  • and extend Johnson and Barnett: Barnett is young and a guy you can grow with.  Johnson was just converting salary into signing bonus to help the cap, no years added.
  • why keep Ertz:  he's been on the trading block but they have a high asking price.  They will at least get a comp pick when he signs elsewhere, and with a very young and unproven WR group might as well keep a talented weapon especially to help your young QB.  Same for O line, hard to evaluate Hurts if he's running for his life.
  • it seems like the Eagles can’t wait to throw in these picks to go get Watson or some other quarterback:  this is agreeing with what I said, that they are keeping options open at QB although I think the Watson thing is just rumors.  Reporters love to "link" the Eagles to every rumor out there.
  • why limit Hurts 1st game:  starters are always 1 or maybe 2 series in the first preseason game, they probably expected to evaluate in the 2nd game but...
  • Why scratch quickly in the 2nd game:  he was fine in warmups but then complained about severe abdomen pain.  Nick said Jalen is usually very tough so the fact that he was complaining about it gave them concern and they rushed him to the hospital.  Why would you risk an injury in that situation?  It was all of a sudden.
  • Many teams have journeyman veteran backups.  it helps the young guys to learn from how they practice, prepare, review film, get their feedback, etc.  
  • Run what back?  They won 4 games last season.  They fired their coach, traded their QB and are collecting draft picks.  In the NFL you never have a true "rebuild" where you gut the roster, it's always a transition.  But they have Herbig ready to replace Brooks, Dickerson presumably to replace Kelce, Goedert ready to replace Ertz, Sweat perhaps to replace Graham, etc.  They're thinking future.  If (and I mean if) this team becomes a Super bowl champion again a lot of the veterans on the team currently won't be part of that championship roster.

Heck they’re talking about not playing Hurts against the Jets. I wasn’t talking about Flacco being the backup. Im talking about Mullens. There is really no point he’s on the on the roster. I just don’t see a team that thinks they’re in a rebuild. They’re in a division where a team won it with a losing record. I see a squad that thinks they can win this crappy division. Not sure why they’re even treating Hurts like a 4 year vet. 

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Heck they’re talking about not playing Hurts against the Jets.

That would be ludicrous.

On 8/22/2021 at 2:29 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think it's refreshing to see them try something a little different? 

OK, I get it, this is upwriting as in "uptalk".

It's the silliiest thing I've ever heard, as stated in the video, it gives he impression that you're not sure if what came out of your mouth makes any sense what-so-ever.

8 hours ago, EagleVA said:

That would be ludicrous.

It’s in the air. There have been discussions about him not playing or playing very little. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

It’s in the air. There have been discussions about him not playing or playing very little. 

I think the entire first team O should play the entire first half.

On 8/20/2021 at 1:38 PM, Bamabird said:

My gosh, ever since I joined this board, I am beginning to see why people bag on Eagle fans so much!

Look, I am a Falcons fan too and we suck, but on that board we are trying to find a silver lining, here you guys are doing all you can to erase any slimmer of a silver lining. It is depressing!

You have a young, healthy, QB with a heart of a bull and all you do is bag on him! Why no give him at least 6 games?

You have the top receiver in college football, Heisman winner and bag on him because your backup QB that is running for his life can't get the ball to him!

And all of this is happening in the freaking preseason!! Lighten up and wait until the season starts at least! 

No Eagles fan is also a Falcons fan. 

2 hours ago, EagleVA said:

I think the entire first team O should play the entire first half.

I don’t disagree with that actually. 

12 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t disagree with that actually. 

Not going to happen.  The Eagles are spooked by the injury bug that has ravaged the roster the last couple of years so they're keeping most of their starters out of harm's way.   Mike Sieleski wrote about it today:

Here’s what that minimal playing time for the Eagles’ most important players says: that the Eagles know how thin their roster is, how damaging it would be to lose any of those starters, especially in a game whose outcome was irrelevant. It says that everyone should expect a similar allotment of snaps – maybe fewer – on Friday night at MetLife Stadium, when the Eagles play the Jets. It says that Sirianni and the people above him have prioritized health over honed skills and habits. Which they are right to do.

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/philadelphia-eagles-nick-sirianni-howie-roseman-preseason-20210823.html

23 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Not going to happen.  The Eagles are spooked by the injury bug that has ravaged the roster the last couple of years so they're keeping most of their starters out of harm's way.   Mike Sieleski wrote about it today:

Here’s what that minimal playing time for the Eagles’ most important players says: that the Eagles know how thin their roster is, how damaging it would be to lose any of those starters, especially in a game whose outcome was irrelevant. It says that everyone should expect a similar allotment of snaps – maybe fewer – on Friday night at MetLife Stadium, when the Eagles play the Jets. It says that Sirianni and the people above him have prioritized health over honed skills and habits. Which they are right to do.

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/philadelphia-eagles-nick-sirianni-howie-roseman-preseason-20210823.html

I don’t expect Hurts to play much if at all, but I don’t believe that is the right move to make here. 

Sounds ridiculous, but the eagles tend to do that in preseason games. 

They could get injured in the first Fing game!

I don't get it either. There's 2 weeks before the start of the season now with 1 fewer preseason game. Hurts and all the starters need the reps IMO. A series or 2 at least but whatever. Expect the first game to be a crap show.

It seems to me they don't care to get reps in preseason they are gun shy about injuries and they know this is an evaluation year.  

Archived