Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

Funny you could replace Hurts name in the title with Wentz and have the same legit question. 

I'll walk away and see all the Wentz haters simmer on that one for a bit. LOL

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Funny you could replace Hurts name in the title with Wentz and have the same legit question. 

I guess I’m a "hater” and I hate to inform you that your post did nothing for me either way. I wish Carson all the best someplace else. 

Here aren’t any sure things in the NFL but pedigree matters. Let’s see what he can do under somewhat normal conditions: an actual offseason program, a training camp and so on. 

The team seemed to respond to him on the field and reports say he’s a natural leader in the locker room.  Sure thing? Nah. But there seems to be a spark. 

4 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

I don't view Hurts as this sure thing bad QB, I just think we can get a better one at #6.

I also don't view Hurts as a "sure thing bad QB".  We very well could get a better one at #6 but I'm not really sold on the QB draft class this year, so odds are against it IMHO.  My preference would be to use our draft picks to add talent at other areas of need and give Hurts all of 2021 to get a much better evaluation of him.  If he craps the bed then look to potentially add a QB in 2022.  If he plays well then no need to use another high pick on the position.  Using a high pick on a QB this year means you automatically throw in the towel on a high pick made a year ago.  

2 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

Wilson

Hurts does not have Wilson's skill set.  Wilson is a poor comparison for Hurts.  If we are being honest, Wentz is a better comparison:

Difficulty with progressions, better on the move, neither great downfield thrower, poor anticipation throwers,  fumble machines, loved by teammates during their rookie seasons.  Wentz has a much stronger arm.  Hurts is a pick 6 waiting to happen on out patterns.  Hurts throws float quite a bit.

1 minute ago, Freshmilk said:

Difficulty with progressions, better on the move, neither great downfield thrower, poor anticipation throwers,  fumble machines, loved by teammates during their rookie seasons.  Wentz has a much stronger.  Hurts is a pick 6 waiting to happen on out patterns.  Hurts throws float quite a bit.

I'm not sure Wentz is a great comparison either. Hurts is far more athletic but I think in general Wentz has been better at reading defenses.

It’s because they are/were washers which created blind hatred bias.

Foles/Hurts qb competition is the best case scenario for this mess.  if Chicago ponies up, pull that damn trigger.

There's no patience anymore.  Gone are the days when you sit for 2, 3, 4 years.  You have to play and play good immediately when given the chance or else you're no good.  It's not fair and I dont agree but that's the NFL right now.

I didnt like Hurts in college and felt he was more a college QB rather than a pro QB.  But I will give him a chance to see what happens with a full offseason if they decide to go with him.

2 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Because short one read and run QBs never last in the NFL. If he develop more of a pocket game like Wilson he has a strong chance to be a very good QBs imo. However based off of last year he doesn't seem to have the arm strength to turn into Wilson after throwing duck after duck downfield. 

Hurts is not near the player Lamar Jackson is, and unless Jackson breaks a long TD run, you can shut him down.  Getting to the playoffs and possibly winning 1 game is the ceiling for Lamar Jackson.

Once again, we are at the Super Bowl, and at the end the teams in it are in it because they have actual QB’s playing QB.

16 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not sure Wentz is a great comparison either. Hurts is far more athletic but I think in general Wentz has been better at reading defenses.

More athletic than Wentz his first two seasons?  Don't think so.  Wentz was great athletically until the knee.  Elusive, pretty fast, strong.

23 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

More athletic than Wentz his first two seasons?  Don't think so.  Wentz was great athletically until the knee.  Elusive, pretty fast, strong.

Ok athletic is the wrong word. They are different in terms of their athleticism. Hurts is faster, quicker and more agile. 

13 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Ok athletic is the wrong word. They are different in terms of their athleticism. Hurts is faster, quicker and more agile. 

Agreed, quicker and faster.  Better burst.  But dang, until Carson hurt his knee he was dynamic and a star in the making.  Reminded me of Elway.  I think he came back too soon after the knee - should have sat the entire 2018 season, but both he and the Eagles wanted him on the field.  I remember the rehab videos of he and Peters and others.  

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

One of my biggest concerns with Hurts is the fumbling. He fumbled a few times in just 4 games and that's something he's got to work on. But he seems like the kind of kid who will work on that and try to improve on that side of his game. 

I like Hurts, I like his game and I think there's a chance he can be a good nfl QB. Do I think he will be elite? To be honest no but I think he can be good and for the next couple of years that may be enough for this team. 

Yeah the fumbling is a major concern. He looks like he's worse than Wentz with it. 

4 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I don't know if we can or not, but you have to ask "can Hurts get me to a Super Bowl?"  If the answer is "NO", then we need to keep looking and trying to find that guy.

This is the weird parallel to Wentz.  Many claimed he was never going to be good enough to get us back there, so he needed to go.  Same rules apply.

I don't think there is anyway for anyone answering that before seeing first how much, if any, progression Hurts makes from year 1 to year 2 in the NFL while keeping in mind he will be yet again in a new offense under a new set of coaches for the 3rd straight year. 

4 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Sure ideally but this is why people view him as a sure thing bad qb. Also building an oline is a lot easier said than done. 

But who was really shredding it as a rookie seeing the full field and finding every correct read every snap their rookie years? Wasn't McNabb, Foles or Wentz. 

3 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Wentz is heading into his 6th year. To have such a historic steep decline at this point in his career when he should be entering his prime is a major concern. 

2 hours ago, Freshmilk said:

Hurts does not have Wilson's skill set.  Wilson is a poor comparison for Hurts.  If we are being honest, Wentz is a better comparison:

Difficulty with progressions, better on the move, neither great downfield thrower, poor anticipation throwers,  fumble machines, loved by teammates during their rookie seasons.  Wentz has a much stronger arm.  Hurts is a pick 6 waiting to happen on out patterns.  Hurts throws float quite a bit.

I think Dak is the best comparison.  Very similar build and athletic talents.  I remember hearing the exact same things about Dak as a passer when he was coming out of college that I heard about Hurts.  Only difference was Dak was fortunate to come into the league with what was the best offensive line and a dominant running gw that they used. 

2 hours ago, Freshmilk said:

Wentz' pre-injury comparison would be a less athletic Josh Allen with less of an arm and more polished as a passer coming into the league. 

10 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

But who was really shredding it as a rookie seeing the full field and finding every correct read every snap their rookie years? Wasn't McNabb, Foles or Wentz. 

Foles and wentz were more than one read and run their rookie year. 

even if hurts isnt the guy, at least we have the cap space to improve this team and not being stuck wentz's contract that will keep us in basement for 4 years, that was the reason we improved from 3-13 to 10-6 in the chip kelly era, we had a cap space, if we didnt have cap space we would in the basement and not have won the sb.

4 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Also building an oline is a lot easier said than done. 

There's no reason why our line shouldn't be vastly improved next season. The only real question is Kelce's retirement decision. Brooks is already 100% healthy. Herbig ended the season as one of the highest rated RGs in the NFL during the last month. Lane Johnson's ankle didn't heal properly on it's own last season and they tried to get him "season ready" with a late surgical procedure that didn't allow him to be 100%. He finally had to leave before the season ended to get it repaired correctly and there is no reason to not expect him to be ready for OTAs / TC. His backup, Driscoll showed great promise and has versatility to move all over. Mailata's opportunity arrived in 2020 and he's already one of the best, young LTs in the NFL and rated higher than 2/3 of the league's starters at the position. Dillard has had plenty of time to rehab and is expected to battle for the LT spot. Seumalo has been solid and has familiarity with the guys that missed time and are back and also with the young guys that filled in due to injuries last year.  If Kelce decides to retire, the Eagles are pretty high on Juriga at the moment. He played 4 snaps after Kelce hurt his elbow and had 9 snaps in the finale. 

On top of all this, Stoutland is still here. 

I would say, heading into 2021, the O-line is our most certain position. 

8 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Foles doesn't run, that just wasn't an athletic ability of his.  And Foles did not light the world on fire his rookie season.  He was bad outside of one game against a Tamp Bay team that had at the time historically the worst pass defense in league history.  

10 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Wentz definitely wasn’t that one read guy as a rookie although it was one of his draft weaknesses. That’s why it’s terribly unsettling he became one read sack/fumble/interception/stare at the line no read guy last season. 

13 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Foles doesn't run.  

The speed of a gazelle in the body of a giraffe, you know you love it.

Check out the run when you click play:

Archived