Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

3 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Almost no one ever clears the hype bar.  Every young QB who gets a starting job is compared to a HOF'er in the same mold.

You start with the bar at Dak, you're gonna get Koy Detmer.

Oh, boy. Then some clown will come along and talk about how good Hurts was at running the football and read options.

RememberTheHurts

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In an Eagles facebook group and there's a lot of people that get defensive about Hurts

Hurts is great at running the option, you know.

And, the Newman kid from Wake Forest is gonna be a star.

Can’t wait to see them in the backfield together for 2 plays this year, running the wildcat, run pass option, QB double reverse on 4th and 1, in Dallas, for the win.

On 5/15/2021 at 11:18 PM, eagle45 said:

There are 32 starting QBs in the NFL.  I believe that 31 of them are better passers than Jalen Hurts. 

Come on, that’s ridiculous.  He’s probably not the worst QB in the NFC East, much less the NFL.  I forget, who’s starting in Miami, NO, Denver….oh Denver…..

And what if you happen to be right?  We all know this isn’t a SB contending team. A Top 3 draft pick will bet us a QB and more pieces to complete the overhaul.

Im not convinced that he can’t be a viable starter in this league.  

27 minutes ago, Vee said:

Come on, that’s ridiculous.  He’s probably not the worst QB in the NFC East, much less the NFL.  I forget, who’s starting in Miami, NO, Denver….oh Denver…..

And what if you happen to be right?  We all know this isn’t a SB contending team. A Top 3 draft pick will bet us a QB and more pieces to complete the overhaul.

Im not convinced that he can’t be a viable starter in this league.  

You lead with Miami?  The qb that Hurts got benched for and was better than him?  Literally, the best example of a bad qb who is unquestionably still better than Hurts.

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

You lead with Miami?  The qb that Hurts got benched for and was better than him?  Literally, the best example of a bad qb who is unquestionably still better than Hurts.

And he got benched twice(would have been a 3rd) for the QB who is now with the Skins lol

Why can't we compare Hurts to someone like McNabb instead of trying to use Dak? 

Hurts had more success in college (than McNabb) and in conferences that were a lot better than the Big East. Both players had similar rookie seasons where they were mixed into the offense for a play or series here and there until they finally replaced the starter late in the season. McNabb took a big jump forward in his second season in the NFL, leading the team to the playoffs and making the Pro Bowl.

I'm not going to make any predictions. I just think it's stupid to say something like, "Hurts won't (or can't) be a success in the NFL, but I hope I'm wrong." It's stupid because you just don't know. Predicting failure now to set up an "I told you so"  in the future just makes you a ****.  I just want to see how he does for myself. Your negative prognosis won't have any impact on what he actually does. He's an Eagle and I'll be rooting for him.

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

Why can't we compare Hurts to someone like McNabb instead of trying to use Dak? 

Hurts had more success in college (than McNabb) and in conferences that were a lot better than the Big East. Both players had similar rookie seasons where they were mixed into the offense for a play or series here and there until they finally replaced the starter late in the season. McNabb took a big jump forward in his second season in the NFL, leading the team to the playoffs and making the Pro Bowl.

I'm not going to make any predictions. I just think it's stupid to say something like, "Hurts won't (or can't) be a success in the NFL, but I hope I'm wrong." It's stupid because you just don't know. Predicting failure now to set up an "I told you so"  in the future just makes you a ****.  I just want to see how he does for myself. Your negative prognosis won't have any impact on what he actually does. He's an Eagle and I'll be rooting for him.

The thing is, the vast majority of us are pointing out legitimate flaws or concerns with his game. None of which have to do with being able to say "I told you so" if he bombs.

5 hours ago, Swoop said:

The thing is, the vast majority of us are pointing out legitimate flaws or concerns with his game. None of which have to do with being able to say "I told you so" if he bombs.

I can remember when everybody was doing that with Kelce several years ago, saying he was the weak link on the O-line and all that. 

So I'm guessing you have a long list of QBs in the NFL that arrived with  no legitimate flaws or concerns? I'd be interested to see that list.

Kelce is the weak link in the O-Line. Because he’s like 260 pounds.

On 5/16/2021 at 4:37 AM, Outlaw said:

Can you get me the Powerball winning #’s too please? PM me. #thathottakewasahotturd

On 5/16/2021 at 10:36 PM, nipples said:

Yeah, because no QB has ever improved as a passer with NFL coaching. 

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

I can remember when everybody was doing that with Kelce several years ago, saying he was the weak link on the O-line and all that. 

So I'm guessing you have a long list of QBs in the NFL that arrived with  no legitimate flaws or concerns? I'd be interested to see that list.

Honestly the negativity on this board about Hurts astounds me.

He was always meant to be developmental, not a plug in and play QB. He got thrust in in a brutal situation against a red hot Saints D and beat them. He put up 400 yards or more in every full game as a starter.

The O was broken and horrible last year. It looked better with Hurts than Wentz though. 

He was far from perfect. Stuggled in the 2nd half of most games, got baited into some throws and didn't protect the ball well enough.

But in the circumstances he did just fine. I'm excited to see what he can do this year. He certainly seems to have the work rate and character to improve. Let's hope he does.

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

I'm not suggesting that I do and never have. Sure, young players have concerns. Sure, young players are not perfect coming into the league. No one has stated otherwise. 

Having an opinion based on what we already knew and what we've seen so far doesn't mean it's with the hope that he bombs so we can say "hey, told you!".

It's okay to have different opinions. Some people are touchy when it comes to Hurts for whatever reason.

14 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Honestly the negativity on this board about Hurts astounds me.

He was always meant to be developmental, not a plug in and play QB. He got thrust in in a brutal situation against a red hot Saints D and beat them. He put up 400 yards or more in every full game as a starter.

The O was broken and horrible last year. It looked better with Hurts than Wentz though. 

He was far from perfect. Stuggled in the 2nd half of most games, got baited into some throws and didn't protect the ball well enough.

But in the circumstances he did just fine. I'm excited to see what he can do this year. He certainly seems to have the work rate and character to improve. Let's hope he does.

No, he didn't.

2 minutes ago, Swoop said:

I'm not suggesting that I do and never have. Sure, young players have concerns. Sure, young players are not perfect coming into the league. No one has stated otherwise. 

Having an opinion based on what we already knew and what we've seen so far doesn't mean it's with the hope that he bombs so we can say "hey, told you!".

It's okay to have different opinions. Some people are touchy when it comes to Hurts for whatever reason.

They are touchy about any QB they crown the next great Philly QB 

23 hours ago, devpool said:

That's fair but their defense has been awful, especially last year. For a franchise QB you want more than what Prescott will give but I personally don't believe hurts has a ceiling higher than that. I definitely don't believe he will ever be a Tier 1 QB. Would love to be wrong though, would make this rebuild WAY easier if he took an enormous leap forward this season.

LMFAO......what EXACTLY would you want more of.....?  And give me a definition and  qualification of a "franchise QB",

I read these comments all the time, and it always narrows down to somebody who doesn't like the player or the team he plays for....

Prescott has had to deal the cowpies having a horrible defense....which usually means poor field position, less chances for getting turnovers and short fields, and always having to put up a ton of points or constantly needing to make comebacks.

If Hurts plays anywhere near where Prescott has played, the eagles won't have to worry about a QB for years.

1 hour ago, CouchKing said:

Kelce is the weak link in the O-Line. Because he’s like 260 pounds.

SMH. Somehow, he has been incredibly durable compared to his bigger peers and is routinely considered one of the top 5 centers in the NFL.

26 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

LMFAO......what EXACTLY would you want more of.....?  And give me a definition and  qualification of a "franchise QB",

I read these comments all the time, and it always narrows down to somebody who doesn't like the player or the team he plays for....

Prescott has had to deal the cowpies having a horrible defense....which usually means poor field position, less chances for getting turnovers and short fields, and always having to put up a ton of points or constantly needing to make comebacks.

If Hurts plays anywhere near where Prescott has played, the eagles won't have to worry about a QB for years.

If he plays anywhere near where Prescott has played, it will be absolutely shocking.  Damn near every professional talent evaluator will have been completely wrong.  

5 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

If he plays anywhere near where Prescott has played, it will be absolutely shocking.  Damn near every professional talent evaluator will have been completely wrong.  

Agreed, but it wouldn't be the first time they were wrong.  

So much has to do with the coaching environment these kids come into, the talent around them, and the patience of the coaching staff and FO.   We've seen top QBs drafted high into bad teams and situations, with bad coaching, only to struggle into oblivion.  We've seen other drafted much later and, inexplicably defy the evaluations.

Hopefully, Sirianni and Hurts becomes a good combo.....

1 hour ago, birdman#12 said:

Prescott waan't a franchise QB level guy until they gave him a superstar WR, a truly great QB will play well without those guys. Before Cooper showed up dak was the literal definition of average, pretty much middle of the pack in every statistical category except turnovers. He wasn't losing games for the cowboys but he wasn't winning them any either. And that was with a great o line and running back to lean on. 

The amount of 1 or 0 TD games dak had before Cooper showed up is all you need to look at. 

28 minutes ago, devpool said:

Prescott waan't a franchise QB level guy until they gave him a superstar WR, a truly great QB will play well without those guys. Before Cooper showed up dak was the literal definition of average, pretty much middle of the pack in every statistical category except turnovers. He wasn't losing games for the cowboys but he wasn't winning them any either. And that was with a great o line and running back to lean on. 

The amount of 1 or 0 TD games dak had before Cooper showed up is all you need to look at. 

How many guys have truly shown that they can win consistently year in, year out with no help?

44 minutes ago, Swoop said:

How many guys have truly shown that they can win consistently year in, year out with no help?

Tier 1 QBs, which were discussed already that Prescott will never be. Which is fine, there's only like 4 of them. If you read the previous discussion you would see that i believe reaching Prescott level is a good thing for hurts.

8 minutes ago, devpool said:

Tier 1 QBs, which were discussed already that Prescott will never be. Which is fine, there's only like 4 of them. If you read the previous discussion you would see that i believe reaching Prescott level is a good thing for hurts.

I did. My point being is that even tier 1 QBs have had some semblance of help in their careers.

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Kelce got better when we got better guards

44 minutes ago, Swoop said:

I did. My point being is that even tier 1 QBs have had some semblance of help in their careers.

Help, sure. But they don't turn into pumpkins when the help isn't there.  Again, Prescott was definition of average ranked in the middle of the pack in every category 

PFF just rated Hurts the second worst QB in the NFL. And Dak makes it to 7.

Got to admit this makes me happy, not only for the added motivation, but this clearly shows me that they even with all those stats still have no clue when it comes to QBs.

Archived