Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

11 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I said 2 years ago I think lane is starting to break down early. 

As I've stated before, two years ago, Lane had his ankle rolled up on. It's a freak play you can't control. It's not like he shifted his weight and the ankle gave out or something. 

Much like the DJax injury, Lane opted to let it heal naturally. Unfortunately it didn't heal correctly on its own. Before last season, they tried a quick fix in an attempt to keep him playing through the 2020 season. It was not enough.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When do #1 Jalen Hurts jerseys go on sale? 

I think they retired his #2 jersey from last year. Legendary.

• 1 month later...

This is a cool piece about Lane Johnson's home gym setup and what a workout beast he is. He works out with other Onlinemen. The only non-lineman is Hurts. Quote about him below.

Hurts, Philadelphia's second-round pick in 2020, has been the projected Eagles starter since the trade of Carson Wentz to the Indianapolis Colts in March.

The Eagles quarterback is a regular at the Bro Barn, but you have to wake up early to catch him. He starts his workouts at 5 a.m., hours before the rest of the group typically goes off.

"I'm still sleeping," Johnson said, smiling. "I mess with him. I'll say, 'Hey man, you ain't going to be playing games at 5 o'clock in the morning.' But I understand the discipline part of it. That's how he's wired, man. He's been that way for a long time, I think."

Hurts, not one to put the spotlight on himself, typically doesn't allow cameras into his workouts and declined to be interviewed by ESPN about them.

Rangel, though, has a front-row seat for what can be quite a show. Hurts was a power lifter in high school and can still move serious weight. He deadlifts 625 pounds, squats in the mid-500s and, by Rangel's assessment, is "every bit as strong as anybody who has ever been in that gym." Hurts sits atop the Bro Barn leaderboard in several categories, including pull-ups (23).

And he does it all while multitasking.

"He's in here, he has the playbook out and he's yelling the plays out in between sets. I've never seen someone so dedicated to their craft," Rangel said. "Jalen has highlights of whatever team they're going to play. Other quarterbacks he really respects, he'll throw their highlights up while we're working out. I can see him mentally taking notes while he's screaming out the plays and while he's studying. His preparation is just insane."

Sometimes other members of the group will get up early enough to work out with Hurts. Regardless, they "see him all the time," Herbig said. He'll either stick around when he's done or come back later to grab a meal from Johnson's personal chef -- who has become everyone's personal chef -- or to just hang out.

The common description of Hurts is that he is a natural-born leader whom players gravitate toward. Given those qualities, some found it odd the Eagles drafted him in the second round in 2020 as Wentz was trying to reestablish himself as the front man following Nick Foles' Super Bowl success, and amid rumblings Wentz had struggled to connect with some of his teammates. Wentz went on to have the worst campaign of his career by far, and was replaced in the lineup by Hurts for the final quarter of the season.

Coach Nick Sirianni has not publicly committed to Hurts being QB1 going forward, citing a desire to create competition at all positions. That hasn't stopped Hurts from working to establish himself as the team's leader, whether it be by taking guys out to dinner, demanding precise execution when throwing to his wide receivers and running backs at the local high school or by showing up at the Bro Barn day in and day out.

For an idea of how he has been accepted into a fairly exclusive offensive line fraternity, look at the artwork. Just inside the Bro Barn entrance is a mural of its patrons. The paintings surrounding it are of some of the newcomers such as Eagles center Jason Kelce and Justin Pugh of the Arizona Cardinals. In the center of the mural sits Hurts, flanked by a group of offensive linemen who, in the words of Seumalo, "have his back."

"He doesn't think he's above anybody," Herbig said. "He doesn't work like he's entitled to anything. He works like he owes you something. I have a lot of respect for that."

On 6/14/2021 at 10:16 PM, CouchKing said:

How can we win or evaluate Jalen Hurts or any QB if we don't fix the OLine?

OLine is full of recurring injuries and aging players.

Wentz and Hurts were running for their lives last year.

Yeah, I don’t know. The everchanging OL last year was a problem, but they weren’t doing THAT bad. Plenty of those sacks were on Wentz who held on to the ball forever.

Jeff Stoutland has a lot of depth this year. Herbig has completely changed his body losing 35 lbs. He was ranked 11th on PFF. 
Driscol showed me a lot of heart and a balanced skill set. He also played through some serious injuries and showed real toughness. 
LeRaven Clark will be a excellent swing tackle and knows the playbook. Hopefully his Achilles is healed however. The guy has started a lot of games and was productive.

Malaita and Dillard are talented young players. Jordan has the freakish size and athletic ability that very few humans in the world possess he has to learn another playbook so I think he struggles early but Jeff Stoutland will get him up to speed sooner than later. Dillard I don’t know what to make of. He is a light footed fluid pass protector. He needs more aggression and better hand placement in the run game. He tends to open up his arms to wide and DEs get into his body. Hopefully 2 years in the weight room has done wonders. 
Our young talent is experienced and talented. If they can continue to develop  these backups have a real chance to compete to start in a year or two.

Will always give Hurts major props for seemingly being a hard worker and a good dude. Seemingly anywhere and everywhere you look has him pegged as so. 

Now he needs to perform.

On 6/15/2021 at 12:36 AM, time2rock said:

Another injury plagued season from either then we need to give serious consideration to moving on in 2022. 

We can't afford to move on from Johnson in 22, his dead cap number is only $5million less than Wentz was and we'd save less than nothing against the cap if we cut him, his contract is ugly for the next couple of seasons and makes him pretty much untradeable if he has another rough injury season as well.

Brooks we could probably do a post June 1st cut and save some decent cap, but Lane is here for at least the next 2 years.

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

We can't afford to move on from Johnson in 22, his dead cap number is only $5million less than Wentz was and we'd save less than nothing against the cap if we cut him, his contract is ugly for the next couple of seasons and makes him pretty much untradeable if he has another rough injury season as well.

Brooks we could probably do a post June 1st cut and save some decent cap, but Lane is here for at least the next 2 years.

I'd say that's fine with Johnson but, I think he is breaking down physically already. Maybe after the surgery and a full off-season of being healthy he gets back to what he was and then having him at that cap for another 2-3 years won't matter. 

Last year Jalen was able to sit back and learn a lot.  He even played 4 games.  Sadly he has to change systems already with a new Coaching Staff but I'm still excited to see what he can bring a full season.   He now leads a much younger team with some veteran pieces.   We are in the unknown with a young Coach and QB but I believe Jalen will surprise us this season.  I saw some good energy last year.   

5 hours ago, Swoop said:

Will always give Hurts major props for seemingly being a hard worker and a good dude. Seemingly anywhere and everywhere you look has him pegged as so. 

Now he needs to perform.

Everyone close to him keeps talking about his work ethic and leadership and connecting with the players.  I feel like we can at least all agree that he is dedicated and will do whatever work is necessary.  This is a true evaluation year for a complete season, and to know if he's the answer going forward. 

Does anyone else get the impression that the Eagles aren't "embracing" Hurts?  Anytime Roseman or Sirianni are questioned about him, all answers tend to be lukewarm and non-committal. Would definitely correlate to all the smoke about the Eagles being interested in Watson.

And I find that irritating.  Why on earth would you draft a QB in the 2nd round last year if you only ever viewed him as a "cheap backup"?  Such a damn waste if that's true.  It's either that, or over the course of last year they feel like they have a true evaluation of his potential and feel like they definitely need to improve on that position (which would mean terrible evaluation pre-draft...or terrible decision-making to draft him at all).

1 hour ago, EaglesAddict said:

Does anyone else get the impression that the Eagles aren't "embracing" Hurts?  Anytime Roseman or Sirianni are questioned about him, all answers tend to be lukewarm and non-committal. Would definitely correlate to all the smoke about the Eagles being interested in Watson.

Maybe they learned their lesson with Wentz and are making the guy earn it for a change. Also, LOL at the Watson inference. Give it up. They rightfully want no part of that trainwreck.

14 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Maybe they learned their lesson with Wentz and are making the guy earn it for a change. Also, LOL at the Watson inference. Give it up. They rightfully want no part of that trainwreck.

Give what up?  Just making an observation...there has been a lot of smoke about the Eagles having interest in Watson, including from "plugged in" Eagles beats.  And I suppose you're in communication with Howie and Lurie who have personally told you that they want no part of him?

I'm not saying I want him, it's just a mere observation.

7 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

Give what up?  Just making an observation...there has been a lot of smoke about the Eagles having interest in Watson, including from "plugged in" Eagles beats.

I really haven't seen any reputable source report anything other than personal speculation about the Eagles' "potential interest." I really think that this particular rumor is a patented media fabrication.

7 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I really haven't seen any reputable source report anything other than personal speculation about the Eagles' "potential interest." I really think that this particular rumor is a patented media fabrication.

There sure is a lot of smoke. But maybe it’s coming from Houston?

1 hour ago, EaglesAddict said:

And I find that irritating.  Why on earth would you draft a QB in the 2nd round last year if you only ever viewed him as a "cheap backup"?  Such a damn waste if that's true.  It's either that, or over the course of last year they feel like they have a true evaluation of his potential and feel like they definitely need to improve on that position (which would mean terrible evaluation pre-draft...or terrible decision-making to draft him at all).

The smoke and mirrors is so that the media doesn’t blow it out of proportion when jalen struggles and try to run him out of town.  If they proclaim him the starter now, the first incomplete Pass he throws will be the start of the media witch hunt to get him benched for flacco and/or call for trading for nick Foles.  It’s their way of keeping the dogs at bay.  They’d rather be criticized for "being non committal” than to have their starting qb be overly criticized for being a young inexperienced qb.  

8 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Derrick Gunn and Howard Eskin - like them or hate them, but they are both close to the organization - have both stated the rumors are true, that the Eagles have interest.  You can either buy it or sell it.

I *hope* the rumors aren't true, but I can't rule it out either.  A resolution to Watson's issue would have to be very clear, and very plausible of him not being a douchbag or predator before I'd want him on the Eagles.  Football-wise?  Ab-so-friggin-lutely.  But, can't bring a guy in with all that crap going on or after it's resolved, but in a way that leaves the door open for speculation that he really did those things, etc.

21 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

John McLane, the guy most plugged in with the Texans has talked about it, all the big NFL guys have talked about it.  This is not strictly speculation, it is real.

2 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

No.

They praise his work ethic, skills and compliment him.  Howie's answer was how much they liked him and invested in him to draft him in the 2nd round.  They say a lot of positives about him.  They are just not anointing him anything or even calling him the starter.  They have all sorts of combinations of players at all positions taking turns with the first team.  They are doing it with linemen, LBs and WRs too.  It's only the 2nd day of training camp with a brand new coaching scheme so they're sorting out the players and what they can do.  

Obviously, it's an evaluation year for Hurts and with 2 (maybe 3) first round picks coming up they have options.  They anointed Wentz and everyone thought in the beginning he was the answer and would be elite.  So hyping someone up with words doesn't mean anything.

6 minutes ago, DBW said:

The smoke and mirrors is so that the media doesn’t blow it out of proportion when jalen struggles and try to run him out of town.  If they proclaim him the starter now, the first incomplete Pass he throws will be the start of the media witch hunt to get him benched for flacco and/or call for trading for nick Foles.  It’s their way of keeping the dogs at bay.  They’d rather be criticized for "being non committal” than to have their starting qb be overly criticized for being a young inexperienced qb.  

Maybe, but if anyone ever calls for Flacco to start would either be a complete idiot or Hurts looks like Ryan Leaf.

Stay away from Watson and the accusations and media circus.  Roll with Hurts this year, don't like him draft another QB.  

10 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Oh, wow, monitoring! :rolleyes:

Archived