Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

17 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

Derrick Gunn and Howard Eskin

I respect Gunn, but Eskin in a clown. "Having interest" could just mean that they're "monitoring" the situation to see what the resolution is, but until there is some kind of clarity on the situation and what penalties Watson is facing, they won't be making a move. Suffice it to say, I don't think this case is anywhere close to being resolved, and with the heightened scrutiny surrounding allegations of sexual misconduct these days, I would be incredibly surprised to see the Eagles step on landmine like that. Unless Watson is cleared of wrongdoing, I would be shocked to see the organization to make any move in that direction.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, downundermike said:

John McLane, the guy most plugged in with the Texans has talked about it, all the big NFL guys have talked about it.  This is not strictly speculation, it is real.

Itshappening GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

21 minutes ago, NOTW said:

No.

They praise his work ethic, skills and compliment him.  Howie's answer was how much they liked him and invested in him to draft him in the 2nd round.  They say a lot of positives about him.  They are just not anointing him anything or even calling him the starter.  They have all sorts of combinations of players at all positions taking turns with the first team.  They are doing it with linemen, LBs and WRs too.  It's only the 2nd day of training camp with a brand new coaching scheme so they're sorting out the players and what they can do.  

Obviously, it's an evaluation year for Hurts and with 2 (maybe 3) first round picks coming up they have options.  They anointed Wentz and everyone thought in the beginning he was the answer and would be elite.  So hyping someone up with words doesn't mean anything.

I can agree with that.  No "hype" needed...but simply just saying "Hurts is our starter" wouldn't be a bad thing.  I mean, we all know he will be anyway so why not just say it?  

11 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I respect Gunn, but Eskin in a clown. "Having interest" could just mean that they're "monitoring" the situation to see what the resolution is, but until there is some kind of clarity on the situation and what penalties Watson is facing, they won't be making a move. Suffice it to say, I don't think this case is anywhere close to being resolved, and with the heightened scrutiny surrounding allegations of sexual misconduct these days, I would be incredibly surprised to see the Eagles step on landmine like that. Unless Watson is cleared of wrongdoing, I would be shocked to see the organization to make any move in that direction.

Hey, I can't stand Eskin myself, but he does have some inside contacts.  And Gunn stated the same thing Eskin did, so, why "respect" one person but think the other is a clown...when both are saying the same thing on this particular topic?

I don't disagree with you about whether they should or will trade for Watson...but the "interest" in him seems legit.  We just don't know how interested they truly are or if they would ever be willing to bring him in.  And right, I can't imagine anyone will trade for Watson until the situation has a resolution.

2 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

Does anyone else get the impression that the Eagles aren't "embracing" Hurts?  Anytime Roseman or Sirianni are questioned about him, all answers tend to be lukewarm and non-committal. Would definitely correlate to all the smoke about the Eagles being interested in Watson.

And I find that irritating.  Why on earth would you draft a QB in the 2nd round last year if you only ever viewed him as a "cheap backup"?  Such a damn waste if that's true.  It's either that, or over the course of last year they feel like they have a true evaluation of his potential and feel like they definitely need to improve on that position (which would mean terrible evaluation pre-draft...or terrible decision-making to draft him at all).

Their actions speak louder than their words.  To your point, they took him in the 2nd, benched Wentz and made him their starter, passed on Fields to take Hurts' go-to guy at Alabama, brought in sage veteran backup Flacco and, so far, haven't made a move on Watson.  Not sure what more they can do. 

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Their actions speak louder than their words.  To your point, they took him in the 2nd, benched Wentz and made him their starter, passed on Fields to take Hurts' go-to guy at Alabama, brought in sage veteran backup Flacco and, so far, haven't made a move on Watson.  Not sure what more they can do. 

Say he's the starting QB? :whistle:

3 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I really haven't seen any reputable source report anything other than personal speculation about the Eagles' "potential interest." I really think that this particular rumor is a patented media fabrication.

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

Stay away from Watson and the accusations and media circus.  Roll with Hurts this year, don't like him draft another QB.  

I have seen nothing concrete from anybody reputable to suggest that the Eagles are doing anything other than monitoring the situation, which they should. They should be monitoring the Aaron Rodgers situation as well.

But I've not seen anybody suggesting the Eagles have made a serious offer.

I just don't see how you can give up serious draft capital for a guy facing the allegations he is facing (And remember Lurie is big in the media - I just can't see him wanting that headache). Add in our cap situation and our desperate need to restock the D and the move just doesn't make sense for us. I would be truly shocked if we did trade for Watson (at least this year) and would happily eat crow if they did.

Plus Hurts might actually be good. And if he is the Eagles are in a great position to surround him with talent and potentially make a last run with our 30 plus players over the next couple of years. 

No to Watson.

Here we go again with people needing to hear sheet. Only people that need to know who is starting is the damn team itself

10 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

Does anyone else get the impression that the Eagles aren't "embracing" Hurts?  Anytime Roseman or Sirianni are questioned about him, all answers tend to be lukewarm and non-committal. Would definitely correlate to all the smoke about the Eagles being interested in Watson.

And I find that irritating.  Why on earth would you draft a QB in the 2nd round last year if you only ever viewed him as a "cheap backup"?  Such a damn waste if that's true.  It's either that, or over the course of last year they feel like they have a true evaluation of his potential and feel like they definitely need to improve on that position (which would mean terrible evaluation pre-draft...or terrible decision-making to draft him at all).

They are like that because Hurts isnt that good. Joe Flacco will start a game this season. Not because of injury, but because of poor QB play.

You talk about drafting.....look at Howies track record. He stinks. 

13 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

It’s a huge risk to take on by the Eagles. The Texans want three firsts (good luck with that) for a disgruntled guy with a series of sexual misconduct cases against him, and a huge contract, to go with a possible looming suspension or worse. If Howie trades for this guy before all this is cleared up then he should be fired. 

24 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

It’s a huge risk to take on by the Eagles. The Texans want three firsts (good luck with that) for a disgruntled guy with a series of sexual misconduct cases against him, and a huge contract, to go with a possible looming suspension or worse. If Howie trades for this guy before all this is cleared up then he should be fired. 

Yeah they aren't going to get that kind of haul for him at this point. I mean if he's all cleared of charges etc then his value may bounce back. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah they aren't going to get that kind of haul for him at this point. I mean if he's all cleared of charges etc then his value may bounce back. 

I think I read he has like two more changes against him from different women too. Howie would be wise to steer clear of this dude for a while.

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

As everyone know I think Mr. Roseman does a good job.

But this would be a mistake of epic proportions.

If Watson gets cleared (and the longer this goes the longer shot it is he comes out completely unscathed) then maybe Howie looks at a deal, but we need to extend or replace some or all of Mailata, Sweat, Barnett and Goedert before next year and as it stands even without those extensions, we don't have the cap space for Watson's salary in 2022, if you make that space by cutting or trading people like Cox, Brooks, Graham or Johnson (and they would be tough sells unless Johnson is back to 2018) you're creating other big holes you need to fill through drafting or free agency but Watson will cost most or all of your Day 1 draft capital and most of your cap room. Kelce is more or less certain to retire after this year and will need replacing (yes Dickerson but Seumalo is a free agent after 2022 as well, Herbig is only under contract this year) Slay will be another year older and his cap numbers after this year are scary, they put him in the top 3 of corner salaries, and he ain't Charles Woodson,  Harris, Nelson and Adams are all one year rentals that will need a decision at year end and McLeod and Maddox are free agents after this year, that's pretty much our entire 1st string secondary.

Signing Watson would gut the roster and basically turn us into the Texans, a decent offensive tackle and a QB breaking records to win absolutely nothing. It would make sense for an organisation that had been run well in terms of roster turnover the last decade, but that isn't us, we need to fix up the house properly in terms of cap and contracts and that means building through the draft until most or all the over 30's with void years out the wazoo are no longer on the premises.

Even if Watson was cleared Tomorrow, blowing our first rounders next year on him would cancel the rebuild while reinforcing why it needs to happen.

10 hours ago, 700Level4Life said:

They are like that because Hurts isnt that good. Joe Flacco will start a game this season. Not because of injury, but because of poor QB play.

You talk about drafting.....look at Howies track record. He stinks. 

The silver lining is if that comes true, we'll be drafting top 5!

10 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I think I read he has like two more changes against him from different women too. Howie would be wise to steer clear of this dude for a while.

Yeah he would be you're right. Let's first see how this all plays out. 

9 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

If Watson gets cleared (and the longer this goes the longer shot it is he comes out completely unscathed) then maybe Howie looks at a deal, but we need to extend or replace some or all of Mailata, Sweat, Barnett and Goedert before next year and as it stands even without those extensions, we don't have the cap space for Watson's salary in 2022, if you make that space by cutting or trading people like Cox, Brooks, Graham or Johnson (and they would be tough sells unless Johnson is back to 2018) you're creating other big holes you need to fill through drafting or free agency but Watson will cost most or all of your Day 1 draft capital and most of your cap room. Kelce is more or less certain to retire after this year and will need replacing (yes Dickerson but Seumalo is a free agent after 2022 as well, Herbig is only under contract this year) Slay will be another year older and his cap numbers after this year are scary, they put him in the top 3 of corner salaries, and he ain't Charles Woodson,  Harris, Nelson and Adams are all one year rentals that will need a decision at year end and McLeod and Maddox are free agents after this year, that's pretty much our entire 1st string secondary.

Signing Watson would gut the roster and basically turn us into the Texans, a decent offensive tackle and a QB breaking records to win absolutely nothing. It would make sense for an organisation that had been run well in terms of roster turnover the last decade, but that isn't us, we need to fix up the house properly in terms of cap and contracts and that means building through the draft until most or all the over 30's with void years out the wazoo are no longer on the premises.

Even if Watson was cleared Tomorrow, blowing our first rounders next year on him would cancel the rebuild while reinforcing why it needs to happen.

I’ve been looking at some of the ramifications for cutting some of those Howie restructuring contracts and most of them if released offer little to no cap relief and generally cause more dead cap money. Unfortunately the only way he can really offer any cap help is to either restructure again (I hope he doesn’t) or just let these contracts play out for another year or two. I think trades could also help, because they can at least get a younger and cheaper option to fill the void. 

8 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

The silver lining is if that comes true, we'll be drafting top 5!

Honestly I’d rather thy just bite the bullet for a season with Hurts and if he is god awful then they’re likely in a position to draft a young stud quarterback and I’d rather they do that than throw a bunch of picks at Watson and kill their cap and any chances of building youth on this roster. Watson had great numbers last season and his team still only won 4 games. Even he needs talent around him so trading for him would be a wast of resources time and money. 

"I initially wondered how the play might turn out since Hurts double-clutched the ball instead of just letting it rip but the quarterback put some nice touch on it for Smith to run underneath and make an over-the-shoulder catch. Not to make everything a comparison but, as the ball hung in the air, I had more confidence in it being completed than I would if Carson Wentz was throwing it. I’ve seen my fair share of Wentz overthrows in both game and practice settings. The Eagles might have a more efficient deep passing game with Hurts under center.”

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2021/7/29/22600398/eagles-training-camp-practice-notes-devonta-smith-left-tackle-battle-update-jordan-mailata-dillard

But I know Hurts stinks tho….🙄

On 7/30/2021 at 6:48 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

If Watson gets cleared (and the longer this goes the longer shot it is he comes out completely unscathed) then maybe Howie looks at a deal,

He shouldn't, no player is worth 3 or 2 1st round picks, that would be a landslide victory for the Texans, it'll be Herschel Walker all over again, ask the Vikes how that turned out.

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

He shouldn't, no player is worth 3 or 2 1st round picks, that would be a landslide victory for the Texans, it'll be Herschel Walker all over again, ask the Vikes how that turned out.

As I go on to say, I wouldn't make the deal, it would set us back years. . 

I can absolutely see Howie making the deal though, 100%.

On 7/29/2021 at 11:19 AM, EaglesAddict said:

It's essentially his job to lose for now. Of course Howie is keeping an eye on the Watson situation. Lots of teams are. I'm sure every team called Packers about Rodgers when that was going down. There was the report they tried to trade up for Wilson

They are going with Hurts for this season but keeping the door open for any better chances

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

As I go on to say, I wouldn't make the deal, it would set us back years. . 

I agree with pretty much everything you say about this setting us back, but although Howie has a lot of faults, I don't think he's stupid enough to make this deal and if he was, I don't think there is any way Lurie lets him with these allegations still live.

7 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I hate to say it but so can I, he's such a dumbarse.

Archived