Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

21 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I agree with pretty much everything you say about this setting us back, but although Howie has a lot of faults, I don't think he's stupid enough to make this deal and if he was, I don't think there is any way Lurie lets him with these allegations still live.

For all we know Lurie could be pushing for the move. Lurie doesn’t care about some bad PR, but we do know he’s involved in personnel decisions and we also know Howie doesn’t mind taking the heat for him, and Howie scapegoating others. Howie may look like the face of a move for Watson, but it could be Lurie the whole time.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

For all we know Lurie could be pushing for the move. Lurie doesn’t care about some bad PR, but we do know he’s involved in personnel decisions and we also know Howie doesn’t mind taking the heat for him, and Howie scapegoating others. Howie may look like the face of a move for Watson, but it could be Lurie the whole time.

The recent I thought Lurie might be against it is that he is well known movie producer. With all the Weinstein stuff, I would have thought he would have wanted to stay completely away from making Watson the face of his franchise.

3 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

The recent I thought Lurie might be against it is that he is well known movie producer. With all the Weinstein stuff, I would have thought he would have wanted to stay completely away from making Watson the face of his franchise.

If that were true there would be zero rumors and the Eagles would simply shut it down. I really doubt they would still be in the mix for this guy if 11 were still here. I really do hope it’s all some kind of smoke screen. I don’t see any good coming from trading for Watson. 

11 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

If that were true there would be zero rumors and the Eagles would simply shut it down. I really doubt they would still be in the mix for this guy if 11 were still here. I really do hope it’s all some kind of smoke screen. I don’t see any good coming from trading for Watson. 

I should have qualified. I think that's the case for now. I think if his cases get resolved the Eagles may have interest and are probably hoping he lasts until next year so that they can have a bit of certainty on his cases and a chance to take a look at Hurts. Ultimately Watson puts the Eagles in a big hole in terms of turning over an aging roster and he would be a nightmare, particularly this year under the salary cap.

On 8/2/2021 at 9:38 PM, ManchesterEagle said:

I should have qualified. I think that's the case for now. I think if his cases get resolved the Eagles may have interest and are probably hoping he lasts until next year so that they can have a bit of certainty on his cases and a chance to take a look at Hurts. Ultimately Watson puts the Eagles in a big hole in terms of turning over an aging roster and he would be a nightmare, particularly this year under the salary cap.

Howie is definitely interested. I just don't think there's any doubt about that. I mean they potentially have a need at QB, they can't be all in on Hurts at this point and Watson is a very talented QB who could be available. Whether they would make the move (this year or next) is another matter. 

If you are one of the "I know everything, I'm connected, I told you so" guys in the media, it makes sense to lay it out there early that the Eagles are in hot pursuit of Watson.

This was always going to be a long process, so if they end up with him, you can say you said it and called it at the beginning.   And if they don't, you can just walk away from it over time and say they intended to get him and just finally backed out because of some unforeseen revelation with the legal issues.

2 hours ago, eagle45 said:

If you are one of the "I know everything, I'm connected, I told you so" guys in the media, it makes sense to lay it out there early that the Eagles are in hot pursuit of Watson.

This was always going to be a long process, so if they end up with him, you can say you said it and called it at the beginning.   And if they don't, you can just walk away from it over time and say they intended to get him and just finally backed out because of some unforeseen revelation with the legal issues.

Yeah it is a bit of a win win situation really for those media guys. Because ultimately this is out of their control but they can say that the Eagles are interested because on some level they do. It may not be strong interest but there's some form of interest there no doubt. 

3 hours ago, eagle45 said:

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah it is a bit of a win win situation really for those media guys. Because ultimately this is out of their control but they can say that the Eagles are interested because on some level they do. It may not be strong interest but there's some form of interest there no doubt. 

The only reputable report I’ve seen states that the Eagles are "monitoring the situation”

They should be monitoring the situation, he’s a top 10 QB. 

But there is no way we should be trading for him until next year at the earliest, given the allegations and the cap issues. Yes we have some extra draft picks, but that Wentz pick is going to be a second now and we badly need to replace some of our older players, particularly on D.

16 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

The only reputable report I’ve seen states that the Eagles are "monitoring the situation”

They should be monitoring the situation, he’s a top 10 QB. 

But there is no way we should be trading for him until next year at the earliest, given the allegations and the cap issues. Yes we have some extra draft picks, but that Wentz pick is going to be a second now and we badly need to replace some of our older players, particularly on D.

Exactly and that's kind of my point bud. Of course they are interested because at this point they should be. A lot of teams should be interested in him. Doesn't mean they or we will end up getting him but it's a safe thing to report that we are interested. 

He's worked hard all training camp.   He's had to put up with media reports about him being replaced.   Every pass has been dissected beyond belief. Jalen said this was his 5th Offensive system in the last 4-5 years.  With all that, he's still looking forward and getting ready.   On the Eve of the Eagles First Preseason game.   Maybe this could be the beginning of the Jalen Era.   We'll see.  

Not going to over value or under value his first preseason action as a pro. I thought he might have gotten more time than he did though. 

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I thought he might have gotten more time than he did though. 

Not in the first game.  If they play a full half it will be next week.

On 8/13/2021 at 8:23 AM, downundermike said:

Not in the first game.  If they play a full half it will be next week.

It doesn’t really matter that much regardless. I don’t think anything we see in these preseason games will tell us much about their plans for any of these players or how good they will or won’t be during the season. The year the Lions lost every game they went undefeated in the preseason. That lets you know how meaningless these games are. 

8 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

It doesn’t really matter that much regardless. I don’t think anything we see in these preseason games will tell us much about their plans for any of these players or how good they will or won’t be during the season. The year the Lions lost every game they went undefeated in the preseason. That lets you know how meaningless these games are. 

Pats went defeated in the preseason and went undefeated regular season. 

Sam Bradford looked like the QB everyone wanted him to be when he was drafted the first preseason here.... Well you know the rest. 

Just now, Bwestbrook36 said:

Sam Bradford looked like the QB everyone wanted him to be when he was drafted the first preseason here.... Well you know the rest. 

That’s my point too. Preseason mean little for most of the players on the squad. It mostly matters to players on the bubble or battling for roster spots. Most positional jobs are locked up well before the season starts. Rarely do you ever see a guy at the start of preseason locked in at a roster spot lose his job come the first week of the season except Sam Bradford, because he got traded. 😂

3 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yeah I don't take much stock into team records during the preseason..

I want Siriani to play Hurts a full preseason game. Every snap. Just like Parcells did with Romo in 2006. If you want to see what he can do, let Hurts loose.

Just now, SPIDER-MAN said:

I want Siriani to play Hurts a full preseason game. Every snap. Just like Parcells did with Romo in 2006. If you want to see what he can do, let Hurts loose.

Idk man, seems kind of scary lol 

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yeah if they think Hurts runs for his life now that’s exactly what would happen there. 😂

23 hours ago, SPIDER-MAN said:

23 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

22 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Yeah if they think Hurts runs for his life now that’s exactly what would happen there. 😂

Yeah absolutely not. Give him a half against the Pats and maybe a series or two in the last pre-season game if D Smith isn't back by then.

But like it or not, Hurts is our QB for this year. We will have plenty of time to see what he can do. I don't want to risk him in a pre-season game playing with scrubs.

On 8/14/2021 at 12:15 PM, SPIDER-MAN said:

I don’t want him on the field unless the starting unit is on the field with him

4 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah absolutely not. Give him a half against the Pats and maybe a series or two in the last pre-season game if D Smith isn't back by then.

But like it or not, Hurts is our QB for this year. We will have plenty of time to see what he can do. I don't want to risk him in a pre-season game playing with scrubs.

That’s exactly why I don’t want him playing a full meaningless preseason game with a bunch of hack backups. 

Hurts today in 11v 11 v Pats - 16/17 for a TD with another TD to Reagor apparently wrongly overruled.

Forget Watson, we need to give this guy a chance. 

9 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Hurts today in 11v 11 v Pats - 16/17 for a TD with another TD to Reagor apparently wrongly overruled.

Forget Watson, we need to give this guy a chance. 

He's the second coming of Cunningham. What made me eagle in 1st place. Unorthodox ability, incredible athlete, capable of anything. If giving a chance and kept on right track he has potential to be one of the greats. 

I don’t know if Hurts is the guy, but he’s easy to root for. Has a good attitude, work ethic, appears to be a strong leader. He’s the kind of guy you want to succeed. 

Archived