Moderator6

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/20/2021 at 11:46 AM, downundermike said:

There is the kiss of death.

The ghost of Rueben Randle looms large.

On 3/20/2021 at 2:15 PM, EazyEaglez said:

Many of the good ones turn those teams around too. Lately that hasn’t happened and those guys aren’t staying on those teams. All the more reason to build the talent, because these young quarterbacks aren’t getting the job done. 

Many? I'm not so sure about that. IMO it's usually players like RGIII or Vick that have a chance to be a one man offense. They're fun to watch too, during the regular season and in mediocre or crappy divisions. How many have gotten beyond the first round of the playoffs as a one man show? And you're right, not many recent high pick QBs to crappy teams have shown out. Maybe because D Coordinators know better how to contain them.

3 hours ago, eglz1 said:

Many? I'm not so sure about that. IMO it's usually players like RGIII or Vick that have a chance to be a one man offense. They're fun to watch too, during the regular season and in mediocre or crappy divisions. How many have gotten beyond the first round of the playoffs as a one man show? And you're right, not many recent high pick QBs to crappy teams have shown out. Maybe because D Coordinators know better how to contain them.

McNabb, Luck, and both Manning’s went to bad football teams and had them winning within a year or two. With that being the case I just think the QB obsessions of today often force teams to go after the guy before the team is ready for the guy. Bottom line if the Eagles go out there and draft on of these quarterbacks will he be the guy who can turn the team around? I don’t see it especially with a project guy like Lance, but you never know. Ultimately to draft a quarterback right now it just leaves it all to why. Why did you draft Hurts to begin with? Why did you waste that pick on a guy who ruined your starting quarterback if you weren’t planning to at least see what the kid can do? Now the Eagles had to eat the highest cap hit ever, cause they draft foolishly. Now they compound the issue by brining in another young quarterback? It’s just beyond perplexing. 

18 hours ago, kentwo said:

It doesn't matter if you're sold on them, it matters about the coaches. 

You can also look at it conversely. ~15 QBs drafted in the first round since 2016 are starters in the NFL. Then you have another eight drafted in the first round in the years before 2016. So around 23 of the 32 teams are using QBs drafted in the first round. Then you have a few second-fourth round guys (Brees, Garappolo, Wilson, Prescott.) The odds of finding a high end QB not in the first round are pretty small. For the most important position on the team, it is critical that you get the right guy when you can get him for cheap. 

It all comes down to if the coaches really like one of the QBs at six. Most important position in sports and statistically most successful QBs are taken in the top 15. Inside the Birds Podcast did a good explanation on why you take QB at six IF the team likes a guy. If they don't have any of those guys rated higher than Hurts, then sure trade down and get more picks or take a WR/TE/OT/CB. But Hurts was never drafted to be the starter, he's a second round pick, and in his short time didn't explode like Herbert did last season. So the team is not obligated to go with him if they like someone better. Now maybe if he was a first round pick, then it would be a different story. 

Read my other post. They literally had to release Wentz, because they spent a 2nd on Hurts. You don’t draft a quarterback that high if you have no plans to ever use him. Frankly brining another quarterback in here with Hurts might not be so idea for either player. If you have two quarterbacks who want to be the guy then you don’t have a quarterback. It’s failing to learn from the stupid mistakes you just made. Go get some weapons and build this roster. If Hurts isn’t the guy then go get someone next season. They will likely have two first and probably will be close to the top of the draft anyways. Heck maybe the Watson stuff dies down and they go get him. 

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Read my other post. They literally had to release Wentz, because they spent a 2nd on Hurts. You don’t draft a quarterback that high if you have no plans to ever use him. Frankly brining another quarterback in here with Hurts might not be so idea for either player. If you have two quarterbacks who want to be the guy then you don’t have a quarterback. It’s failing to learn from the stupid mistakes you just made. Go get some weapons and build this roster. If Hurts isn’t the guy then go get someone next season. They will likely have two first and probably will be close to the top of the draft anyways. Heck maybe the Watson stuff dies down and they go get him. 

Just stop. They did not bring in a guy to replace their starter after they signed him to 100+ million dollar contract. Check out ITB or EEIS they have all reported that when Hurts was drafted team leadership did so with the idea that he would be a quality backup, not a guy to replace the person they just signed to a long term deal. That goes back to why it was a mistake pick, but that was another issue. Believe what you want, but leadership said in press conferences that they did not take Hurts with him replacing Wentz as a starter in mind. They took him because they valued a quality backup. 

The point of the draft is to upgrade at all positions and QB is the most important one. If they feel that one of this year's QBs are way better than Hurts, then upgrading the most important position makes sense. 

8 hours ago, kentwo said:

Just stop. They did not bring in a guy to replace their starter after they signed him to 100+ million dollar contract. Check out ITB or EEIS they have all reported that when Hurts was drafted team leadership did so with the idea that he would be a quality backup, not a guy to replace the person they just signed to a long term deal. That goes back to why it was a mistake pick, but that was another issue. Believe what you want, but leadership said in press conferences that they did not take Hurts with him replacing Wentz as a starter in mind. They took him because they valued a quality backup. 

The point of the draft is to upgrade at all positions and QB is the most important one. If they feel that one of this year's QBs are way better than Hurts, then upgrading the most important position makes sense. 

Sorry but drafting a quarterback in the second round for a team littered with holes is just foolish and it’s no wonder why it blew up in their faces. There is no reasonable explanation to draft a backup quarterback in the second round. No team does that and especially one with so many holes and aging players like this one.

12 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Sorry but drafting a quarterback in the second round for a team littered with holes is just foolish and it’s no wonder why it blew up in their faces. There is no reasonable explanation to draft a backup quarterback in the second round. No team does that and especially one with so many holes and aging players like this one.

I defended that pick and thought hurts could be good. That being said just because I defended it doesn't mean I don't think it was a stupid pick lol. 

4 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I defended that pick and thought hurts could be good. That being said just because I defended it doesn't mean I don't think it was a stupid pick lol. 

Many of us knew once that pick happened it was going to be an issue. It’s like the Eagles brain trust completely lack foresight. When that picked happened I believed the Eagles and Wentz would be ending. I didn’t expect the selection of Hurts to rattle him as much as it did though. 

6 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jalen-hurts-displaying-improved-release-153538582.html

Sounds and looks like Hurts hard work is starting to pay off. Cue the "Eagles fans” AKA Wentz fans to downplay and belittle the guy for trying to get better. 

Nobody is downplaying it.  You are just trying to create a narrative that he is doing something that no one else does.  He needs to get better, 46% completion in the second half ain't gonna cut it.

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Nobody is downplaying it.  You are just trying to create a narrative that he is doing something that no one else does.  He needs to get better, 46% completion in the second half ain't gonna cut it.

"Nobody is downplaying it” while you’re in the mist of downplaying it. 😂 Don’t you have 31 messages to show me from quarterbacks working with their teammates and a quarterback guru improving their game? Showing me stuff from 2017 or 18 isn’t going to cut in 2021 so you better get to work. 

15 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

"Nobody is downplaying it” while you’re in the mist of downplaying it. 😂 Don’t you have 31 messages to show me from quarterbacks working with their teammates and a quarterback guru improving their game? Showing me stuff from 2017 or 18 isn’t going to cut in 2021 so you better get to work. 

For the second time, I never said I would have 31 tweets about working with a QB guru, I said tweets of guys doing off season work outs.

Don't fret, those things will happen after the draft and during the summer. 

I already posted the tweet of Wentz working out with Pittman.  30 to go.

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

For the second time, I never said I would have 31 tweets about working with a QB guru, I said tweets of guys doing off season work outs.

Don't fret, those things will happen after the draft and during the summer. 

I already posted the tweet of Wentz working out with Pittman.  30 to go.

You wrote it’s common and it’s what everyone does, but your not proving you point. Also Wentz is half done. Where’s the video or repot of him working with a guru to improve that 57% completion percentage and that crappy 49.6 QBR. Almost like clockwork you ripped Hurts but kissed Carson’s beanbag for working less hard than Hurts. 

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

You wrote it’s common and it’s what everyone does, but your not proving you point. Also Wentz is half done. Where’s the video or repot of him working with a guru to improve that 57% completion percentage and that crappy 49.6 QBR. Almost like clockwork you ripped Hurts but kissed Carson’s beanbag for working less hard than Hurts. 

As I stated in my last, after the draft you will see all the reports of QB's and WR's off season get togethers.  I may have to search for some a little harder, as some don't feel the need to have it posted all over social media.

In regards to gurus, it is younger QB's who work with guru's in the off season, you don't see veterans doing it.  Did you forget the info I shared of back to back off seasons that Carson worked with a QB guru ??

6 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

For his career outside of 2020 Wentz hovers around 64% passing; he’ll never be Drew Brees.  He will return to that 64-65% range with the Colts without a doubt — because they have a better OL, viable WR and a better stable of RB options.

The real question is how much extra does Hurts have beyond the 52% he showed last season?  He needs to be at least 62%, 11 YPC and better than 2:1 TD/INT ratio or I would argue next season should be it for him as a starter.

3 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

For his career outside of 2020 Wentz hovers around 64% passing; he’ll never be Drew Brees.  He will return to that 64-65% range with the Colts without a doubt — because they have a better OL, viable WR and a better stable of RB options.

The real question is how much extra does Hurts have beyond the 52% he showed last season?  He needs to be at least 62%, 11 YPC and better than 2:1 TD/INT ratio or I would argue next season should be it for him as a starter.

McNabb’s first three seasons he hovered around 55%. I don’t think Hurts needs to be Drew Brees or even around 60% to be effective so long as he’s winning football games. Honestly I’m less concerned about his completion percentage than I am with his turnover ratio. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

McNabb’s first three seasons he hovered around 55%. I don’t think Hurts needs to be Drew Brees or even around 60% to be effective so long as he’s winning football games. Honestly I’m less concerned about his completion percentage than I am with his turnover ratio. 

It’s a vastly different league now for QBs than it was 20 years ago.  55% doesn’t even come close to cutting it; the lowest comp % of any playoff QB last season was Baker Mayfield at 63%, next worst was Lamar Jackson at 64.4%.  Hurts being at 62% would be pedestrian, but anything lower than that isn’t even sustainable to keeping his job.

1 hour ago, Alphagrand said:

It’s a vastly different league now for QBs than it was 20 years ago.  55% doesn’t even come close to cutting it; the lowest comp % of any playoff QB last season was Baker Mayfield at 63%, next worst was Lamar Jackson at 64.4%.  Hurts being at 62% would be pedestrian, but anything lower than that isn’t even sustainable to keeping his job.

He’s gonna need receivers to make catches for him. Considering Wentz also has a comp % on 60 it could have to do something with the players around him or does that excuse only apply to Wentz? Over analyzing four games if flat out ridiculous. I don’t know what type of player he’s gonna be yet, but to ASSume he’s gonna stay an under 60% passer off four games is a waste of time. In the end if he’s 12-4 with a comp % under 60 won’t bother me as long as he’s not turning the ball over as much as he did as a rookie or as much as Wentz did as a friggin veteran. 

2 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

Yep. ~55% would be historically bad, not just for playoff teams but for a season in the NFL. Then the argument would shift towards Hurts not having enough weapons or a good enough team around him. At some point, he needs to perform on the field regardless of who is around him. Great if he's practicing with his WRs, but his main problem is reading defenses and making proper reads. That can't be worked on until he faces actual defenses, so until then fans can only speculate based on his college and limited NFL production. 

I'm not saying completion percentage is completely irrelevant, but Andrew Luck's career percentage was 60.8 and if he announced he was coming out of retirement the Colts would have a queue of teams trying to trade for his rights, while Kirk Cousins is at 67 and pretty much everyone on this board would tell you he's overpaid.

On 3/24/2021 at 3:31 PM, EazyEaglez said:

Sounds and looks like Hurts hard work is starting to pay off. 

Yep, sure looks like it.

Hurts just needs to bet on himself. If he ends up being good, he doesn’t own this org a damn thing when it comes to loyalty.

bad organization for these types of stories to be leaked. 

Can we please stop it with the Hurts bashing bull?

He was a frikking rookie with no offseason that was told he would be the backup. Then he gets thrown in with no OL and all things considered he played great. Yes. GREAT!

If you didn't see it, because you are so damn stuck up on numbers: Please pull your head out of your ass and WATCH the games again.

55 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Yep, sure looks like it.

So the Eagles dropped to #12 in the draft so maybe his hard work actually is paying off. 

Archived