Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

8 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

That’s also how you can get your QB hurt 

That's why you have Ward, Jackson and Tate on the roster.

The Ravens are 31-8 since Jackson had his first start.  Jackson ran 26 times in his first start, a win.

The Ravens were 4-5 with Flacco  in 2018 before Jackson became a starter.

Standing in the pocket, looking around at WRs and getting slammed in the back by a 250+ DL also gets QBs hurt.

If you have a number of similar running QBs who run a whole bunch, effectively, moving the chains,  you don't have to worry all that much if one of the QBs gets hurt.  Next man up.  Day 3 or udfa QBs are available.  Running QBs w/ NFL starting experience are available.    QB's that enough teams think are "franchise QBs" are extremely expensive and often just don't get the wins, because they cost so much that the rest of the roster doesn't have the expensive players.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

That's why you have Ward, Jackson and Tate on the roster.

The Ravens are 31-8 since Jackson had his first start.  Jackson ran 26 times in his first start, a win.

The Ravens were 4-5 with Flacco  in 2018 before Jackson became a starter.

Standing in the pocket, looking around at WRs and getting slammed in the back by a 250+ DL also gets QBs hurt.

If you have a number of similar running QBs who run a whole bunch, effectively, moving the chains,  you don't have to worry all that much if one of the QBs gets hurt.  Next man up.  Day 3 or udfa QBs are available.  Running QBs w/ NFL starting experience are available.    QB's that enough teams think are "franchise QBs" are extremely expensive and often just don't get the wins, because they cost so much that the rest of the roster doesn't have the expensive players.

Running QBs aren't sustainable for Lombardi's

3 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

That’s also how you can get your QB hurt 

Yet you never minded broke back Wentzy.  😂

11 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

Most carries,  most rushing yards = WIN

If the Eagles want to dial up more WINS, have Hurts run more.

Until defenses catch on and take that away, and force you to beat them with their arm. 

12 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Historically true, but there really haven’t been any true HoFame level talents that can sustain that level of rushing. Wilson has been a runner and kept his team relevant and won a SB and should have won two.

I think Lamar Jackson has a chance to win a couple, but is also playing in the Mahomes era and same conference which will make it difficult.

19 minutes ago, Devaster said:

Historically true, but there really haven’t been any true HoFame level talents that can sustain that level of rushing. Wilson has been a runner and kept his team relevant and won a SB and should have won two.

I think Lamar Jackson has a chance to win a couple, but is also playing in the Mahomes era and same conference which will make it difficult.

Wilson also had a historical defense for a bit. Ravens also have a very good defense

21 minutes ago, Devaster said:

I don't think Lamar Jackson will ever win once not mentioning more

2 hours ago, Vlad67 said:

I don't think Lamar Jackson will ever win once not mentioning more

This is the first time since I have been watching the NFL where the entire offense is schemed on the QB running first. I agree I don't see him winning anything. 

4 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Wilson also had a historical defense for a bit. Ravens also have a very good defense

Takes more than just a QB to win a championship.

This kid had done a lot of good coaches cam breakdowns on several of the players last season.  He has a few good in depth breakdowns of Hurts games.

4 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

This is the first time since I have been watching the NFL where the entire offense is schemed on the QB running first. I agree I don't see him winning anything. 

That whole setup will fall apart within 2 years.

10 hours ago, eagle45 said:

That whole setup will fall apart within 2 years.

We don't know that Hurts is run first though. We don't know what kind of NFL QB he's going to be. 

There's a difference between a QB who has a dual-threat ability to run and a QB who is run-first.

Every QB who utilizes the run too much gets figured out.  The QBs primary job is to read the defense, execute the play and move the ball down the field.  If the protection breaks down or he sees something, the ability to run can escape trouble and makes it really tough on the opposing defense.  They shut down everything else but then the QB picks up a 1st with his legs.

A QB just also needs to be able to stand in the pocket and deliver to the playmakers.  There are QBs who are mobile and can move around within the pocket to create space to throw the ball and not necessarily run for yardage.  It's also important to maintain visibility to see your playmakers to get the ball to them.  

Hurts last year was running for his life at times, but other times he also either stood in the pocket or scrambled and then found receivers downfield.  He had such limited time in a difficult situation.  I don't really see him as run-first but when you have a talent to run for yards and keep the defense guessing it is a good tool to use.  Just have to adjust when the defense starts focusing on stopping QB running and wants the QB to pass.

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

There's a difference between a QB who has a dual-threat ability to run and a QB who is run-first.

Every QB who utilizes the run too much gets figured out.  The QBs primary job is to read the defense, execute the play and move the ball down the field.  If the protection breaks down or he sees something, the ability to run can escape trouble and makes it really tough on the opposing defense.  They shut down everything else but then the QB picks up a 1st with his legs.

A QB just also needs to be able to stand in the pocket and deliver to the playmakers.  There are QBs who are mobile and can move around within the pocket to create space to throw the ball and not necessarily run for yardage.  It's also important to maintain visibility to see your playmakers to get the ball to them.  

Hurts last year was running for his life at times, but other times he also either stood in the pocket or scrambled and then found receivers downfield.  He had such limited time in a difficult situation.  I don't really see him as run-first but when you have a talent to run for yards and keep the defense guessing it is a good tool to use.  Just have to adjust when the defense starts focusing on stopping QB running and wants the QB to pass.

Its been a while, but Eye in the Sky podcast had Cosell breakdown Hurts plays. He cited quite a few times where Hurts would run from what he called perceived pressure. So times where Hurts thinks there is pressure coming, but in reality it was just a normal NFL pocket. The hosts then discussed Hurt's run-first tendencies using plays from the games as examples. I don't recall the exact podcasts dates, but they did a great job breaking down film on Hurt's play.

1 hour ago, kentwo said:

Its been a while, but Eye in the Sky podcast had Cosell breakdown Hurts plays. He cited quite a few times where Hurts would run from what he called perceived pressure. So times where Hurts thinks there is pressure coming, but in reality it was just a normal NFL pocket. The hosts then discussed Hurt's run-first tendencies using plays from the games as examples. I don't recall the exact podcasts dates, but they did a great job breaking down film on Hurt's play.

Like I said, he was running for his life.  He sat and watched Wentz get destroyed all year by the O line that had backups to backups at times.  He went in expecting his line to fail him and he has running ability so he did what he had to do.  

What Jalen has to do is learn the new offense and execute it. He'll have a full offseason as starter, study time to review his film to learn from it and settle down as he enters his 2nd year.  The coaches will also have to play to his strengths and coach him to execute the offense in ways that utilize his skill set.  If Hurts ends up being too run happy and he's not picking up the full offense then you make a change.  But the way I look at it, he was thrown into a losing season with injuries on the O line and went out and did his best with what he was given.  I don't judge him very harshly on last year given the situation, I am more interested in what happens next.

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

Like I said, he was running for his life.  He sat and watched Wentz get destroyed all year by the O line that had backups to backups at times.  He went in expecting his line to fail him and he has running ability so he did what he had to do.  

What Jalen has to do is learn the new offense and execute it. He'll have a full offseason as starter, study time to review his film to learn from it and settle down as he enters his 2nd year.  The coaches will also have to play to his strengths and coach him to execute the offense in ways that utilize his skill set.  If Hurts ends up being too run happy and he's not picking up the full offense then you make a change.  But the way I look at it, he was thrown into a losing season with injuries on the O line and went out and did his best with what he was given.  I don't judge him very harshly on last year given the situation, I am more interested in what happens next.

Oh no bro.  You cant be talking like that in here.  Hurts was supposed to come in as a rookie 3/4 of the season gone and into a oline injury riddled offense and save the season by winning the division and make a deep playoff run 

gtfooh.  Lol

On 4/4/2021 at 3:07 PM, RememberTheKoy said:

This kid had done a lot of good coaches cam breakdowns on several of the players last season.  He has a few good in depth breakdowns of Hurts games.

Pro tip: Don't post any of the ones about JJAW. 

On 4/4/2021 at 9:27 AM, EagleJoe8 said:

Until defenses catch on and take that away, and force you to beat them with their arm. 

How does that work?

These running QBs aren't doing anything that is so crazy and unusual that defenses just need to "figure it out".

When fast QBs run a lot,  it's something that defenses just can't stop.  

Why don't you reverse it.   Defenses can figure out that QBs are going to try to beat them with their arm,  so  defenses will force the slow QBs to beat them with their legs. 

The Ravens since Lamar became starter have a regular season record of 31-8. 

On 4/3/2021 at 11:24 PM, Mike030270 said:

Well Russel Wilson got a Super Bowl win.  Kaepernick and Newton almost got there.

There really haven't been too many QBs who have run for over 500 yards in a year.

Most QBs drafted in the first round in the last 10 years haven't  gotten to the Super Bowl.

I think we all agree that Tom Brady is very good.  It seems like Tom Brady would be a good QB to get.    QBs similar to Tom Brady do not do anywhere near as well as Tom Brady though.

2 hours ago, SNOORDA said:

Oh no bro.  You cant be talking like that in here.  Hurts was supposed to come in as a rookie 3/4 of the season gone and into a oline injury riddled offense and save the season by winning the division and make a deep playoff run 

gtfooh.  Lol

A lot of the same people who criticized Hurts for running for his life completely ignore how Wentz was doing nothing but stating at the pressure when he got benched. The line play was pretty terrible.

16 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

How does that work?

These running QBs aren't doing anything that is so crazy and unusual that defenses just need to "figure it out".

Why don't you reverse it.   Defenses can figure out that QBs are going to try to beat them with their arm,  so  defenses will force the slow QBs to beat them with their legs. 

Sam Bradford was supposed to be this great arm talent and drafted early in the draft. Defenses figured out quickly he was nothing more than a dink and dunk stat stuffer. There are far more so called pocket passer quarterbacks that have failed to win in this league. 

15 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

How does that work?

I’m sorry, what was that? Regular season you said? How well do run first QBs do in the post season?

Get back to me on that. 

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

Pro tip: Don't post any of the ones about JJAW. 

Bro you posted videos on JJAW basically route running. 😂🤣😂🤮

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Bro you posted videos on JJAW basically route running. 😂🤣😂🤮

I posted the JJAW videos made by the same guy in the post I quoted. Don't blame me if you guys were too lazy to watch them. I understand that many of you can't fathom that the 10 people without the ball can still be doing something to help the team (you know ... their assignment ...). It's so much more simple to say, "well ... I guess he can't run routes, get open, create separation ... " etc... and when the film shows that's not necessarily the case, just pretend it's CGI or something. That logic works for the flat-earthers.

Archived