Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

Just now, eagle45 said:

Bad quarterback.  No doubt about it.  He's bad.

Yep. Lazy. He is a mediocre passer (although he’s been a significantly better passer than Wentz has been) but clearly a very good player.

If we were playing the Ravens this week, beyond the fact that they have a clearly better team, I’d fear playing them because of Lamar. And my guess is that so would you. 

Now I wouldn’t expect longevity in his play, that’s for sure. Unless he really develops his passing, he won’t be playing in the league in 5 years. But between now and then, he’s going to win a ton of NFL games without needing to know a lick about how to properly read defenses.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Thrive said:

Yep. Lazy. He is a mediocre passer (although he’s been a significantly better passer than Wentz has been) but clearly a very good player.

If we were playing the Ravens this week, beyond the fact that they have a clearly better team, I’d fear playing them because of Lamar. And my guess is that so would you. 

Now I wouldn’t expect longevity in his play, that’s for sure. Unless he really develops his passing, he won’t be playing in the league in 5 years. But between now and then, he’s going to win a ton of NFL games without needing to know a lick about how to properly read defenses.

So Lamar Jackson's biggest proponent in this thread thinks the 23 year old QB won't be in the league in 5 years.

I think he sucks more than I did before...

Heck, Josh Mccown might be in the league in 5 years.

3 hours ago, QBhunter58 said:

I would rather keep our picks than give them up to trade for and overpay a 33 year old QB.

For any team with sound, sensible management that drafts well it would be an awful trade you would never consider.           Sadly, we don't have that here, which is why mortgaging the farm for a "sure thing" at QB seems like a possibility.

55 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Bad quarterback.  No doubt about it.  He's bad.  He just threw for 2700 yards.  That's a division 2 offense.  They basically run a full time wildcat.  I'm not sure that even Jalen Hurts will be that bad of a passer once he adjusts to the league.

Last I checked, it's about the W/L, not individual stats.          The Ravens are 31-8 with him over the last three years.         If they could have that with a 'bad' QB most teams would take it in a heartbeat.         I feel he needs to improve a bit from the pocket if they are going to win a championship, but to win that consistently with the offense built around him?           Calling that 'bad' is kind of ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, mjkvol said:

Last I checked, it's about the W/L, not individual stats.          The Ravens are 31-8 with him over the last three years.         If they could have that with a 'bad' QB most teams would take it in a heartbeat.         I feel he needs to improve a bit from the pocket if they are going to win a championship, but to win that consistently with the offense built around him?           Calling that 'bad' is kind of ridiculous.

It's only about the W/L and we don't need to look at what else is going on at a specific position?  Does that also mean we need to figure out what kind of LG they have and justify that with W/L?  Do you think the most uniformly elite defense in the NFL over the last 3 years might have something to do with that W/L?

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

It's only about the W/L and we don't need to look at what else is going on at a specific position?  Does that also mean we need to figure out what kind of LG they have and justify that with W/L?  Do you think the most uniformly elite defense in the NFL over the last 3 years might have something to do with that W/L?

I don't disagree with any of that, I was addressing your description of Jackson as a 'bad' QB.          He isn't the kind of QB I would want or draft as my franchise guy, because I don't believe you can win a title with him unless he is at least functional from the pocket.       But the fact remains that the Ravens have built that offense around Jackson and they are 31-8 in the regular season since he took over.         Elite defense or not, if he was a 'bad' QB they would not be having that kind of success the way the game is played today.

4 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Bad quarterback.  No doubt about it.  He's bad.  He just threw for 2700 yards.  That's a division 2 offense.  They basically run a full time wildcat.  I'm not sure that even Jalen Hurts will be that bad of a passer once he adjusts to the league.

26 TDs passes, 9 interceptions in 2020 and a 99.3 QB rating.  36 TD passes, 6 interceptions in 2019 and a 113.3 QB rating in 2019 when he won MVP.

He is not a bad QB.

4 hours ago, Thrive said:

Teams haven't hit Jackson the way they used to hit older QBs that ran. They kind of seem scared to. I think that he'll have to start figuring out the passing part of being a QB once teams finally decide to hit him

3 hours ago, mjkvol said:

They've had a top defense the past few years too. That helps a ton

2020 #2

2019 #3

2018 #2

31 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

They've had a top defense the past few years too. That helps a ton

2020 #2

2019 #3

2018 #2

See my post above.

2 minutes ago, mjkvol said:

See my post above.

Elite defenses can cover up putrid offenses

They also have a nice run game

I doubt they have the record without that defense

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

26 TDs passes, 9 interceptions in 2020 and a 99.3 QB rating.  36 TD passes, 6 interceptions in 2019 and a 113.3 QB rating in 2019 when he won MVP.

He is not a bad QB.

See you leave out the yardage.

6 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

See you leave out the yardage.

My bad, I forgot the NFL incorporated the FF rules for scoring in games now.  Passing yards now provide points and are more important than the fact that he has a great TD:INT ratio and high QB rating. 

9 hours ago, QBhunter58 said:

I would rather keep our picks than give them up to trade for and overpay a 33 year old QB.

Don’t you worry. Wilson has a NTC and there’s no way he’d give that up to come to a team with a worse overall roster than the one he’s on now. 

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Don’t you worry. Wilson has a NTC and there’s no way he’d give that up to come to a team with a worse overall roster than the one he’s on now. 

Don't you worry. Fans will still argue over it and be pissed if they don't at least try to trade for him

Just now, Bwestbrook36 said:

Don't you worry. Fans will still argue over it and be pissed if they don't at least try to trade for him

Fans have been whining about the lack of talent on this roster for over four years now. They’ve blamed all of Carson’s struggles on that very issue have they not? If they want to sacrifice an opportunity to build that talent for an old quarterback (who by the way has issues with his line being able to protect him) then it sure does sound like those people are finally willing to admit Carson was part of the problem too then right? 😂

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

Fans have been whining about the lack of talent on this roster for over four years now. They’ve blamed all of Carson’s struggles on that very issue have they not? If they want to sacrifice an opportunity to build that talent for an old quarterback (who by the way has issues with his line being able to protect him) then it sure does sound like those people are finally willing to admit Carson was part of the problem too then right? 😂

You would think lol. 

3 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Elite defenses can cover up putrid offenses

They also have a nice run game

I doubt they have the record without that defense

And they possibly don't have that record with a different QB.        This hasn't been an example of an elite defense carrying a putrid offense, and a primary reason their run game is so explosive is the threat that Jackson poses.

Listen, I don't want that kind of QB for my team because I don't believe you can win playoff games that way, but this argument that the kid sucks is utterly ridiculous.          He has proven he can win games in the league to the point where one of the better run franchises has built an offense around him.         Can it last and can he improve enough to win playoff games?         I have my doubts, but to say he's a 'bad' QB is asinine.

10 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I thought he wasn't, and was so much fanboy that I only started to have doubts when I suffered through an endless series of three-and-outs from him. But the moment Hurts stepped on the field I did see it was on Wentz. The team played spirited the moment he left. And it is not the first time the team did look invigorated when another QB took over.

Everyone is going to be clamoring over Hurts the same way they are Watson in 2 years minus the luggage. Dude has his head on straight. Only wants to get better, and shown it. Do not understand why people don't see the potential and don't understand all the hate. Whoever could back Wentz, and I was one of them, and not back Hurts is a fool. 

9 hours ago, XoqTionR said:

Everyone is going to be clamoring over Hurts the same way they are Watson in 2 years minus the luggage. Dude has his head on straight. Only wants to get better, and shown it. Do not understand why people don't see the potential and don't understand all the hate. Whoever could back Wentz, and I was one of them, and not back Hurts is a fool. 

Hurts doesn't have the arm that Watson has though bud. He also doesn't go through his progressions the same.

9 hours ago, XoqTionR said:

I'm sure many of us have been around sports a lot and have seen guys that work hard or have a good attitude that are not necessarily the best players. A lot of the positives Hurts has are things like attitude or mindset which are great, but his biggest areas of deficiency are some of the most important for an NFL QB. Reading defenses, going through progressions, staying on script, and understanding pressure. These issues are not new, but have persisted for years through college.

So the question is can a leopard change its spots? Can he learn things that he hasn't over all his years of playing QB?

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hurts doesn't have the arm that Watson has though bud. He also doesn't go through his progressions the same.

Watsons arm isn't really that great either. It was actually 1 of the biggest concerns with him when he came out. It can be improved though and that is why it's not a concern with Watson anymore

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It's really too early to say what Hurts is in the NFL. One of the reasons to watch the Eagles in 2021. I sure ain't expecting a march to the #1 playoff seed.

11 hours ago, eglz1 said:

It's really too early to say what Hurts is in the NFL. One of the reasons to watch the Eagles in 2021. I sure ain't expecting a march to the #1 playoff seed.

Hurts is our franchise QB of the future. And a few weeks in the season all the clowns will come and say they always knew that.. :whistle:

3 hours ago, Infam said:

Hurts is our franchise QB of the future. And a few weeks in the season all the clowns will come and say they always knew that.. :whistle:

If you say so.

Archived