Moderator6

Jalen Hurts: Lurie reportedly wants to build around Hurts as starter

7 hours ago, EagleVA said:

With Lurie and Howie making personnel decisions I see mostly bad things happening.

Oh yeah mostly bad things but any kind of bad things. 

On 4/5/2021 at 9:12 PM, Random Reglar said:

How does that work?

These running QBs aren't doing anything that is so crazy and unusual that defenses just need to "figure it out".

When fast QBs run a lot,  it's something that defenses just can't stop.  

Why don't you reverse it.   Defenses can figure out that QBs are going to try to beat them with their arm,  so  defenses will force the slow QBs to beat them with their legs. 

The Ravens since Lamar became starter have a regular season record of 31-8. 

I read where the Ravens were also last in the league in passing efficiency last year. Think that's viable long term? Yeah I know Lamar was league MVP a couple years ago. Let's see how the Ravens passing game fares this year.

On 4/5/2021 at 2:54 PM, NOTW said:

Like I said, he was running for his life.  He sat and watched Wentz get destroyed all year by the O line that had backups to backups at times.  He went in expecting his line to fail him and he has running ability so he did what he had to do.  

What Jalen has to do is learn the new offense and execute it. He'll have a full offseason as starter, study time to review his film to learn from it and settle down as he enters his 2nd year.  The coaches will also have to play to his strengths and coach him to execute the offense in ways that utilize his skill set.  If Hurts ends up being too run happy and he's not picking up the full offense then you make a change.  But the way I look at it, he was thrown into a losing season with injuries on the O line and went out and did his best with what he was given.  I don't judge him very harshly on last year given the situation, I am more interested in what happens next.

I watched Hurts a ton in college, and I always loved him as a player and leader, but never saw him as a franchise QB in the NFL.         I figured his path was as a backup QB or as a WR ala Hines Ward because he was such a good athlete.

Having said that, the kid is razor sharp and I'm happy to see him get at least the year to show how much he has learned and grown.         I still have my doubts that he can be more than a middle of the road QB who is good enough to start in the league but not good enough to lead a perennial playoff team, but the Eagles aren't winning anything in the near future and are loaded with future high picks if it doesn't work out.

Problem is, I have less than zero faith in the people making those decisions (sadly, it will likely be the meddling owner and "GM", not the coach), otherwise I'd be enthused about the rebuilding process.        Sorry, but I can't pretend that these clowns will suddenly become personnel geniuses.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mjkvol said:

I watched Hurts a ton in college, and I always loved him as a player and leader, but never saw him as a franchise QB in the NFL.         I figured his path was as a backup QB or as a WR ala Hines Ward because he was such a good athlete.

Having said that, the kid is razor sharp and I'm happy to see him get at least the year to show how much he has learned and grown.         I still have my doubts that he can be more than a middle of the road QB who is good enough to start in the league but not good enough to lead a perennial playoff team, but the Eagles aren't winning anything in the near future and are loaded with future high picks if it doesn't work out.

Problem is, I have less than zero faith in the people making those decisions (sadly, it will likely be the meddling owner and "GM", not the coach), otherwise I'd be enthused about the rebuilding process.        Sorry, but I can't pretend that these clowns will suddenly become personnel geniuses.

Agree on Hurts work ethic and the team leadership. 

Hurts will have the opportunity this year, the team is his for the taking. New coach and system in the mix too so we'll see.

On 4/9/2021 at 2:32 AM, NOTW said:

Agree on Hurts work ethic and the team leadership. 

Hurts will have the opportunity this year, the team is his for the taking. New coach and system in the mix too so we'll see.

I certainly like the personality and the belief that he seems to have in himself. I do think this year he will look much improved on what we saw in those 4 games last year. There's reason to be optimistic with Hurts for sure. 

On 4/8/2021 at 6:05 PM, mjkvol said:

Nobody knows if Hurts will be any good, including the Eagles.   It is a low risk and potentially high reward scenario if he plays well this year. 

If he sucks, the team will be in a great position to draft another highly touted "franchise" QB next year.   Given how the last one turned out, it seems reasonable to give Hurts a chance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mortimer said:

Nobody knows if Hurts will be any good, including the Eagles.   It is a low risk and potentially high reward scenario if he plays well this year. 

That's essentially what I said.          I offered an opinion, which the last time I checked is the purpose of forums like this.

1 hour ago, Mortimer said:

If he sucks, the team will be in a great position to draft another highly touted "franchise" QB next year.   Given how the last one turned out, it seems reasonable to give Hurts a chance.

The last one "turned out" that way under the watch of the current management, which allowed the roster to crater around him.         Being in a great position to draft yet another QB would be fine if the draft wasn't being run by the same clown whose previous two QB picks (if Hurts isn't the guy) failed.          And planning around the idea that previous QB picks failed isn't exactly a recipe for future success.

• Like 2

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if at some point the Eagles make a run for Russell Wilson if it turns out the Hurts doesn't appear to be the franchise QB they are hoping he becomes.            In fact, if nothing changes in Seattle this season it would surprise me if that didn't happen.         

Even Lurie at some point has to accept the reality that trusting his valet with the kind of draft capital the Eagles might have to go after yet another rookie QB is a hell of a lot riskier than paying a king's ransom for pretty much a sure thing.          In fact, why not make that call now and give them Hurts and a boatload of picks before it's known whether Hurts can be the guy?            It's not happening, but just stirring the pot a bit.

1 hour ago, mjkvol said:

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if at some point the Eagles make a run for Russell Wilson if it turns out the Hurts doesn't appear to be the franchise QB they are hoping he becomes.            In fact, if nothing changes in Seattle this season it would surprise me if that didn't happen.         

Even Lurie at some point has to accept the reality that trusting his valet with the kind of draft capital the Eagles might have to go after yet another rookie QB is a hell of a lot riskier than paying a king's ransom for pretty much a sure thing.          In fact, why not make that call now and give them Hurts and a boatload of picks before it's known whether Hurts can be the guy?            It's not happening, but just stirring the pot a bit.

I would rather keep our picks than give them up to trade for and overpay a 33 year old QB.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mjkvol said:

That sounds awful so I'm sure the Eagles will do it

• Like 2

On 4/5/2021 at 9:12 PM, Random Reglar said:

How does that work?

These running QBs aren't doing anything that is so crazy and unusual that defenses just need to "figure it out".

When fast QBs run a lot,  it's something that defenses just can't stop.  

Why don't you reverse it.   Defenses can figure out that QBs are going to try to beat them with their arm,  so  defenses will force the slow QBs to beat them with their legs. 

The Ravens since Lamar became starter have a regular season record of 31-8. 

This is a rationale that is reborn every 10 years or so, only to be thoroughly destroyed by the universal and eventual failure of all these crap running QB's.

No one can run the ball as fast or as safely as they can throw it.  It's easier to stop a fast running QB who makes 1-2 reads than a QB that uses the entire field with all receiving options.  

Lamar Jackson is exhibit A for this.  Hes a bad quarterback.

4 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

This is a rationale that is reborn every 10 years or so, only to be thoroughly destroyed by the universal and eventual failure of all these crap running QB's.

No one can run the ball as fast or as safely as they can throw it.  It's easier to stop a fast running QB who makes 1-2 reads than a QB that uses the entire field with all receiving options.  

I've literally never heard of a team making a QB beat them with his legs when he is an excellent passer lmao. Random Regular isn't even an Eagles fan he is only here because the eagles have a few guys that played QB that were fast so he is hoping the Eagles will see the light and run his crap offense. 

1 hour ago, QBhunter58 said:

I would rather keep our picks than give them up to trade for and overpay a 33 year old QB.

Agreed, and I like Wilson, but not at his age and price.

46 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Calling Lamar a bad quarterback because he is a better runner than passer is just another lazy attention seeking hot take in the BLOG.

The facts are, very few QBs (whether they predominantly pass or run) win playoff games and the Super Bowl. There have been excellent passers who have not had success in the playoffs (Rivers in this generation) and horrible passers who have found success in the playoffs (Manning in this generation). 

What fans should care about is who gives them the best chance to win on any given Sunday and Lamar gives his team an excellent chance to win every Sunday. That makes him a good QB in my books.

Can he ever win a SB? Joe Flacco won a super bowl for crying out loud. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Thrive said:

Calling Lamar a bad quarterback because he is a better runner than passer is just another lazy attention seeking hot take in the BLOG.

The facts are, very few QBs (whether they predominantly pass or run) win playoff games and the Super Bowl. There have been excellent passers who have not had success in the playoffs (Rivers in this generation) and horrible passers who have found success in the playoffs (Manning in this generation). 

What fans should care about is who gives them the best chance to win on any given Sunday and Lamar gives his team an excellent chance to win every Sunday. That makes him a good QB in my books.

Can he ever win a SB? Joe Flacco won a super bowl for crying out loud. 

Bad quarterback.  No doubt about it.  He's bad.  He just threw for 2700 yards.  That's a division 2 offense.  They basically run a full time wildcat.  I'm not sure that even Jalen Hurts will be that bad of a passer once he adjusts to the league.

Just now, eagle45 said:

Bad quarterback.  No doubt about it.  He's bad.

Yep. Lazy. He is a mediocre passer (although he’s been a significantly better passer than Wentz has been) but clearly a very good player.

If we were playing the Ravens this week, beyond the fact that they have a clearly better team, I’d fear playing them because of Lamar. And my guess is that so would you. 

Now I wouldn’t expect longevity in his play, that’s for sure. Unless he really develops his passing, he won’t be playing in the league in 5 years. But between now and then, he’s going to win a ton of NFL games without needing to know a lick about how to properly read defenses.

6 minutes ago, Thrive said:

Yep. Lazy. He is a mediocre passer (although he’s been a significantly better passer than Wentz has been) but clearly a very good player.

If we were playing the Ravens this week, beyond the fact that they have a clearly better team, I’d fear playing them because of Lamar. And my guess is that so would you. 

Now I wouldn’t expect longevity in his play, that’s for sure. Unless he really develops his passing, he won’t be playing in the league in 5 years. But between now and then, he’s going to win a ton of NFL games without needing to know a lick about how to properly read defenses.

So Lamar Jackson's biggest proponent in this thread thinks the 23 year old QB won't be in the league in 5 years.

I think he sucks more than I did before...

Heck, Josh Mccown might be in the league in 5 years.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, QBhunter58 said:

For any team with sound, sensible management that drafts well it would be an awful trade you would never consider.           Sadly, we don't have that here, which is why mortgaging the farm for a "sure thing" at QB seems like a possibility.

55 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Bad quarterback.  No doubt about it.  He's bad.  He just threw for 2700 yards.  That's a division 2 offense.  They basically run a full time wildcat.  I'm not sure that even Jalen Hurts will be that bad of a passer once he adjusts to the league.

Last I checked, it's about the W/L, not individual stats.          The Ravens are 31-8 with him over the last three years.         If they could have that with a 'bad' QB most teams would take it in a heartbeat.         I feel he needs to improve a bit from the pocket if they are going to win a championship, but to win that consistently with the offense built around him?           Calling that 'bad' is kind of ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, mjkvol said:

Last I checked, it's about the W/L, not individual stats.          The Ravens are 31-8 with him over the last three years.         If they could have that with a 'bad' QB most teams would take it in a heartbeat.         I feel he needs to improve a bit from the pocket if they are going to win a championship, but to win that consistently with the offense built around him?           Calling that 'bad' is kind of ridiculous.

It's only about the W/L and we don't need to look at what else is going on at a specific position?  Does that also mean we need to figure out what kind of LG they have and justify that with W/L?  Do you think the most uniformly elite defense in the NFL over the last 3 years might have something to do with that W/L?

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

It's only about the W/L and we don't need to look at what else is going on at a specific position?  Does that also mean we need to figure out what kind of LG they have and justify that with W/L?  Do you think the most uniformly elite defense in the NFL over the last 3 years might have something to do with that W/L?

I don't disagree with any of that, I was addressing your description of Jackson as a 'bad' QB.          He isn't the kind of QB I would want or draft as my franchise guy, because I don't believe you can win a title with him unless he is at least functional from the pocket.       But the fact remains that the Ravens have built that offense around Jackson and they are 31-8 in the regular season since he took over.         Elite defense or not, if he was a 'bad' QB they would not be having that kind of success the way the game is played today.

4 hours ago, eagle45 said:

26 TDs passes, 9 interceptions in 2020 and a 99.3 QB rating.  36 TD passes, 6 interceptions in 2019 and a 113.3 QB rating in 2019 when he won MVP.

He is not a bad QB.

4 hours ago, Thrive said:

Teams haven't hit Jackson the way they used to hit older QBs that ran. They kind of seem scared to. I think that he'll have to start figuring out the passing part of being a QB once teams finally decide to hit him

3 hours ago, mjkvol said:

They've had a top defense the past few years too. That helps a ton

2020 #2

2019 #3

2018 #2

31 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

They've had a top defense the past few years too. That helps a ton

2020 #2

2019 #3

2018 #2

See my post above.

2 minutes ago, mjkvol said:

See my post above.