Zach Wilson (BYU QB) -- DRAFTED BY N.Y. JETS #2

Ray75

ED0E6B63-E200-4AB7-BB04-9417004F85E4.jpeg

6’3” // 210 lbs

A new GM and coaching staff might want to handpick their own franchise QB to start a new era of Eagles football. 

Just saying...

Accuracy
– his accuracy overall lives and dies with his feet, if he is able to set up and get his cleats in the ground he connects with receivers at a high level as he is able to control the ball well
– good in the quick game where he can get the ball out in rhythm and on target quickly
– very accurate on rollouts to the right, hits moving targets in stride, and can fit it into tight windows
– able to hit his receivers on back-shoulder passes downfield
– accurate and able to get the ball out on RPO’s where he releases it quickly and finds passing lanes using different arm angles
– takes advantage of when the DB has his back turned, giving his receivers a chance at the football
– really accurate in condensed spaces in the red zone where he can throw it away from defenders so only his receivers can make plays on itDecision Making
– poised under pressure, does not panic and tries to avoid defenders in the pocket, finds his check-down if he has one
– flashes anticipation when he has a rapport with a receiver, will throw it before they break against man coverage
– comfortable sitting in the pocket and going through his reads on short plays like variations of mesh, knows he can get the ball out before he gets taken down

Arm Talent
– changes his arm angle to throw around defenders on short passes, really helps him on screens and bootlegs
– can push the ball all the way to the field side boundary on comebacks and outs if he has his feet set

– arms strength looks solid if he gets to step in and follow-through, doesn’t have a hose but an NFL arm for sure
– can get it about 65 yards through the air when he can step into it

Pocket Awareness
– able to step up and through pressure in the pocket, moves quickly and decisively, elusive
– gets his feet underneath him quickly after having to move when pressured
– has the mobility and agility required to consistently extend plays in and outside of the pocket

Functional Athleticism
– mobile QB with some wiggle in the open field, can take off and pick up yards on scrambles
– has some burst and speed, wouldn’t call him a burner but can beat college LB’s to the corner

6 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

If you think he’s a franchise QB, then you have to take him.

Indeed.

Not necessarily saying I do but if a new regime believes that he’s their guy, they might flat out take him and trade Wentz.

• Like 1

He’s reminiscent of Josh Allen, but more accurate.  Elite arm strength, good runner like Allen, not quite as big.  He has a lot of bad habits and mechanics, though.  Lots of flat-footed throws, back-footed and ad lib throws that he can get away with at a small-school college, but he’ll have some problems with in the NFL.

This is a guy who has to end up in the right environment, like Allen did in BUF.  If Wilson doesn’t get surrounded by weapons like a Stefon Diggs, he could just as easily be a bust in the NFL.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2020 at 4:46 AM, Alphagrand said:

He’s reminiscent of Josh Allen, but more accurate.  Elite arm strength, good runner like Allen, not quite as big.  He has a lot of bad habits and mechanics, though.  Lots of flat-footed throws, back-footed and ad lib throws that he can get away with at a small-school college, but he’ll have some problems with in the NFL.

This is a guy who has to end up in the right environment, like Allen did in BUF.  If Wilson doesn’t get surrounded by weapons like a Stefon Diggs, he could just as easily be a bust in the NFL.

Indeed but with CW trade rumors circling around, he could be a target at 6 nontheless.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Indeed but with CW trade rumors circling around, he could be a target at 6 nontheless.

I certainly think they need to do their due diligence on him, Fields and anyone else they consider one of the top QBs. Doesn't mean they have to pull the trigger but how often are they going to be drafting this high?

33 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Yeah, in light of that possibility I had to go back and watch more footage.

I’m struck by Wilson’s arm strength — he has an Aaron Rodgers-type arm with good accuracy.  He’s also a mobile QB who can get some first downs with his legs.  I still hate the footwork and mechanics.  If you have him with a QB guru to straighten that out, you’ve really got something there.  Still, if the Eagles actually took a QB at #6 I would still have to lean toward Trey Lance as my preference.  He also a a strong arm, great mobility and strength, but less polish, and a small school pedigree.

It would be a fascinating decision if it were mine to make.  Regardless, neither would have much chance of success long term with Doug in charge.

17 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Yeah, in light of that possibility I had to go back and watch more footage.

I’m struck by Wilson’s arm strength — he has an Aaron Rodgers-type arm with good accuracy.  He’s also a mobile QB who can get some first downs with his legs.  I still hate the footwork and mechanics.  If you have him with a QB guru to straighten that out, you’ve really got something there.  Still, if the Eagles actually took a QB at #6 I would still have to lean toward Trey Lance as my preference.  He also a a strong arm, great mobility and strength, but less polish, and a small school pedigree.

It would be a fascinating decision if it were mine to make.  Regardless, neither would have much chance of success long term with Doug in charge.

Personally I’d build around Hurts if they trade Wentz.

Reasoning;

- let’s see what he can do if we give him an elite weapon like Chase or Smith;

- if that doesn’t work and it’s clear he’s not the future after the 2021 season, you could take a QB in the 2022 draft.

The upcoming draft should be all about adding skill position players like receiver, corner and safety. If you get those right, you’re halfway there and you’d have a young core to build around.

Something like; 1) Chase/Smith; 2) Kendrick, Stokes or Samuel; 3) Moehrig, LeCounte, Cisco, Grant;

• Like 1

Just now, Ray75 said:

Personally I’d build around Hurts if they trade Wentz.

Reasoning;

- let’s see what he can do if we give him an elite weapon like Chase or Smith;

- if that doesn’t work and it’s clear he’s not the future after the 2021 season, you could take a QB in the 2022 draft.

The upcoming draft should be all about adding skill position players like receiver, corner and safety. If you get those right, you’re halfway there and you’d have a young core to build around.

I wouldn't go as far to say I'd build around Hurts, I'm still not convinced he's the long term answer (though I did like what I saw).

What yes I would go forwards with Hurts. I would name him the starter for next year and I would trade Wentz. Then I would start the rebuild that this team desperately needs. Free up the cap space from 2021.

Like you say, if Hurts doesn't work out then we can look to bring in a QB in 2/3 years time. Or even next year if we were high enough in the draft. 

6 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I wouldn't go as far to say I'd build around Hurts, I'm still not convinced he's the long term answer (though I did like what I saw).

What yes I would go forwards with Hurts. I would name him the starter for next year and I would trade Wentz. Then I would start the rebuild that this team desperately needs. Free up the cap space from 2021.

Like you say, if Hurts doesn't work out then we can look to bring in a QB in 2/3 years time. Or even next year if we were high enough in the draft. 

Hopefully we get something like two 2nd rounders for Wentz and do something like this;

1) Chase/Smith; 2) CB; Kendrick, Stokes or Samuel; 2) Safety; Moehrig; 3) LB; Surratt, Cox or Browning

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Hopefully we get something like two 2nd rounders for Wentz and do something like this;

1) Chase/Smith; 2) CB; Kendrick, Stokes or Samuel; 2) Safety; Moehrig; 3) LB; Surratt, Cox or Browning

2 second rounders would be very nice and would certainly allow us to go and get some players to improve this team. 

Saw this guy in person at the Boca Raton Bowl game vs UCF.  He looked elite. Great arm strength and good mobility in the pocket.  

Carved them up until the offense went super conservative to just run the clock out in the second half. 

So let’s get this straight, Philadelphia Browns fans: 

2019- sign Carson Wentz to mega deal

2020- draft Jalen Hurts in the 2nd round

2021- draft Zach Wilson in the 1st round

That’s totally a Cleveland Browns move (old regime). 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We really need the Jets to simp Darnold and trade us 2 so we can get Zach Wilson. Best off platform/multiple angles thrower since Rodgers and Mahomes. Seems like every off balance/on the run/sidearm throw has perfect accuracy. His accuracy H8UVWUT_A

If the Eagles are trading Wentz, we are close enough to get Wilson if the Jets are willing. They might, although it's far from a guarantee. 

I

1 hour ago, mattmcginley7 said:

We really need the Jets to simp Darnold and trade us 2 so we can get Zach Wilson. Best off platform/multiple angles thrower since Rodgers and Mahomes. Seems like every off balance/on the run/sidearm throw has perfect accuracy. His accuracy H8UVWUT_A

If the Eagles are trading Wentz, we are close enough to get Wilson if the Jets are willing. They might, although it's far from a guarantee. 

I

Sorry bro! Made it two months ago...

Just now, mattmcginley7 said:

My bad, I scrolled back and didn't see it

No problem!

On 12/11/2020 at 3:16 PM, Ray75 said:

Indeed.

Not necessarily saying I do but if a new regime believes that he’s their guy, they might flat out take him and trade Wentz.

The question now becomes:

Do you use your 1 and the Wentz compensation to go up and get Wilson?

30 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

The question now becomes:

Do you use your 1 and the Wentz compensation to go up and get Wilson?

Would they do that?! Maybe!

Would I?! No!

As a matter of fact; I don’t want them to take a QB at all. Let’s assume we get Bears first. If it were up to me I’d use No.6 on a pass catcher like Chase, Smith or Pitts and No.20 on defense (Horn, Moehrig, Phillips, Owusu-Koramoah etc).

I’d roll with Hurts and a veteran backup and revisit the QB situation after the ‘21 season.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jenkins27 said:

I don’t get the love for Wilson over Fields.

You and me both. I'm a big Fields fan, have been for a few years now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jenkins27 said:

I don’t get the love for Wilson over Fields.

He went to a real school

• Haha 1