Starting To Feel Like Doug’s Gonna Be A Fall Guy

Runtherock

Particularly after reading the latest Domowitch/Banner piece. Banner has it 60/40 Doug gets fired, 10/90 Howie does. Add that they HAVE to try to fix Carson, cap won’t allow a trade, and this is the way its looking. If so I will be pissed. Howie’s incompetence has gutted this team, light on talent and heavy on contracts. Carson is uncoachable and maybe a coach killer. I’m not absolving Doug, play calling, handling of his coaches, I see the problems. But end of the day players are responsible for their play, including the quarterback, and everywhere but philly GM’s are accountable for screwing the pooch.

• Like 4

Doug has done a poor job this season, right from Week 1 where Rivera and Del Rio ate his lunch.  With a Pederson/Reich/DeFilippo triad the Eagles had a very good combination.

Without them, Doug is in over his head.  Sanders and Reagor should be the Eagles main threats on offense, and with a good head coach they would be.

• Like 6

It's going to be a long slide into irrelevance if the idiot is left in control of player personnel.

• Like 4

No doubt Howie needs to go.  

Sure hope Lurie sees it that way too (but I doubt he will).  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, time2rock said:

No doubt Howie needs to go.  

Sure hope Lurie sees it that way too (but I doubt he will).  

Don’t kid yourself, Lurie is not a dumb man and he is seeing what we all are seeing. Lurie has made changes in the FO before by demoting Howie under Chip Kelly and I wouldn’t be surprised if he forced Howie to bring in Douglas. 
Lurie is a nice guy but he won’t tolerate his organization being the laughing stock of the NFL.

16 minutes ago, Mr_Philly said:

Don’t kid yourself, Lurie is not a dumb man and he is seeing what we all are seeing. Lurie has made changes in the FO before by demoting Howie under Chip Kelly and I wouldn’t be surprised if he forced Howie to bring in Douglas. 
Lurie is a nice guy but he won’t tolerate his organization being the laughing stock of the NFL.

Notice that in both situations you referenced Lurie failed to fire Howie?  He needs to be removed all together ... not retained but merely assigned a different role/title.  But perhaps the 3rd time is the charm.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Notice that in both situations you referenced Lurie failed to fire Howie?  He needs to be removed all together ... not retained but merely assigned a different role/title.  But perhaps the 3rd time is the charm.  Fingers crossed.

Agreed, Howie set this organization back at least 3 years with his recent decisions and he needs to go.

• Like 4

Lurie has reportedly been more hands on. If so, get rid of Howie. No exceptions. His horrible draft decisions and bad contracts have contributed to this mess.

I'm willing to give Doug another season, but he needs to relinquish the play calling and bring in a real OC.

• Like 3

Fall guy, lol. Yea like most of this mess is not his fault. Poor Practice habits, play calling, game planning, lack of communication, lack of discipline, Not holding Asst/Position coaches accountable.  Min 60% of this teams faults are on him so hes no fall guy. 

• Like 1

Doug deserves to play out his contract. Yes he has made some wrong calls. But he has made many more right calls than bad. Unfortunately our QB has played like poo. Like I said in another thread.... You can have the best foreman, but if his staff can't execute the plan, there is only so much blame he can take. The one thing I will blame him on is not trying out Hurts sooner. Don't know if Hurts is the answer, but might have lit a fire under Wentz.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr_Philly said:

Every time Metcalf goes off on the Eagles it must be a huge reminder to Lurie about how bad Howie really is. 

3 coaching regimes we have watched go to sheet since Howie became a bigger part of the FO. He is the only common denominator in this

8 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

3 coaching regimes we have watched go to sheet since Howie became a bigger part of the FO. He is the only common denominator in this

Thats not fully true. Reid had more control over the players selected and picked up via FA/Trade tReid was more of the GM of the team then Howie did. Chip Kelly took over the GM role in his second year so Howie had no say during that era. Doug is the first coach Howie really had control over. 

10 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Only thing is all 3 of those coaches had a hand in their own demise.

I'm no Howie fan.  He missed on DK and Jefferson but so did other teams too.  Who knows if those 2 were here that they'd be putting up the same numbers.  In this offense, I doubt it.  They'd probably be sitting behind Ward and Alshon until they learn the whole playbook.

Howie has missed on picks but what GM hasnt.  He's brought guys in that we know are talented like Golden Tate but yet the coaches didnt know how to utilize him.  I think coaching is a bigger problem.

• Like 1

Been a tough year.  Don’t think Doug will be too unhappy to leave.  If he can’t fix Wentz, then let someone else try.  Only thing that saves him now is if Jalen goes off a la Kyler and the Eagles win out and are exciting again.

1 hour ago, Portyansky said:

Doug deserves to play out his contract. Yes he has made some wrong calls. But he has made many more right calls than bad. Unfortunately our QB has played like poo. Like I said in another thread.... You can have the best foreman, but if his staff can't execute the plan, there is only so much blame he can take. The one thing I will blame him on is not trying out Hurts sooner. Don't know if Hurts is the answer, but might have lit a fire under Wentz.

And I think many of us have come to that conclusion on this board: that maybe earlier in the season he should have tried out Hurts to see what he could do....and that doing so just might have lit a fire under Wentz...

I mean, it worked for McNabb when he got benched.....

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Thats not fully true. Reid had more control over the players selected and picked up via FA/Trade tReid was more of the GM of the team then Howie did. Chip Kelly took over the GM role in his second year so Howie had no say during that era. Doug is the first coach Howie really had control over. 

So people convinced me to finally realize it's all Howie's fault. So I blame him for everything and now it's not completely his fault? You guys are confusing. I need to know who to point my finger at only 1 person has to be completely responsible for a whole organization falling apart. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would not be in favor of firing Doug after only 3 seasons removed from our first Super Bowl victory. I know you can't live on past accomplishments forever, but I do think that it should give him a little padding. Of his 5 seasons with the Eagles thus far, we've made the playoffs three times, winning the Super Bowl one of those times. Let that count for something. 

Go 3-13 next season and all bets are off. But I certainly wouldn't fire him based on this crazy season. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I would not be in favor of firing Doug after only 3 seasons removed from our first Super Bowl victory. I know you can't live on past accomplishments forever, but I do think that it should give him a little padding. Of his 5 seasons with the Eagles thus far, we've made the playoffs three times, winning the Super Bowl one of those times. Let that count for something. 

Go 3-13 next season and all bets are off. But I certainly wouldn't fire him based on this crazy season. 

I could take him or leave him at this point. As I said in another thread, Doug isn't without his warts, but players seems to play hard for him. The team sucks this year, but I've never gotten a sense of quit. It's not the be all end all, but I think it counts for something. Like most, I'd love a new GM, and let them make that call.

• Like 1

Remember when Miles Sanders was going to be "a workhorse" this season? More like a show pony because  he has exactly ONE game with 20 rushing attempts all year.  16 in the last two games. Combined.

So yeah, Doug really has the pulse of the game.  Time for fresh eyes. 

I think Doug deserves plenty of blame too. I mean watch the games and there's multiple screw ups every week. Penalties, guys running the wrong routes, guys running into each other, missed blocks, poor tackling, poor coverage, special teams screw ups, etc. A serious lack of coaching or accountability either way it ultimately falls on the HC. 

21 hours ago, Runtherock said:

Particularly after reading the latest Domowitch/Banner piece. Banner has it 60/40 Doug gets fired, 10/90 Howie does. Add that they HAVE to try to fix Carson, cap won’t allow a trade, and this is the way its looking. If so I will be pissed. Howie’s incompetence has gutted this team, light on talent and heavy on contracts. Carson is uncoachable and maybe a coach killer. I’m not absolving Doug, play calling, handling of his coaches, I see the problems. But end of the day players are responsible for their play, including the quarterback, and everywhere but philly GM’s are accountable for screwing the pooch.

I'm gonna disagree.  Lurie has been around the block and won't act hastily because of developments in a year like 2020.  Using 2017 as his template, the Eagles were at their best when the coaches received maximum help from the F.O. by providing them with a stocked coaching staff and a stocked roster.  The team delivered.  Since then, the coaching staff and the personnel staff have been poached and the team hasn't adequately made up for the losses.  The key here is to wake up, patch up the respective staffs properly, and move forward.  Tearing down everything is not necessary and will be counter productive.  Doug and Howie aren't village idiots and do what they are good at very well.  The key is to get them help and find other people to do what they're not as good at.

Bring in another top offensive guy to bolster the coaching staff.  I say, bring in Adam Gase as a QB coach after he's fired by the Jets and maybe another former QB can be brought in as OC (Josh McGown).

The trickier part is bringing in some to run the draft and roster.  The marriage of Howie and Joe worked.  Promote from within has not borne fruit here.  Fresh blood is needed.  If you keep Howie, you need somebody strong to run the roster.

Repair and rebuild (not replace) the front office and coaching staff.

• Like 1

It's amazing how much better Pederson looks as a coach without Wentz as his QB. It's almost like Wentz is by far and away the main problem.

• Like 1