Kyle Pitts (Florida TE/WR) -- DRAFTED BY ATLANTA #4

Captain F

13 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Well I probably should have worded that better, but my preference is to go Chase or Smith at 6 (if available).

Can’t help it, buddy! Smith scares me a bit. He even refuses to be weighed and measured at the Senior Bowl. Could even mean he’s shorter and lighter than the projected 6’1” 175 lbs at the moment. Maybe he bulks up a bit for his Bama pro day but it’s worrisome nonetheless.

For what it’s worth; Daniel Jeremiah just published his recent top 50 and has Pitts as the No.3 prospect on the board.

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2021-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-1-0

5 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Can’t help it, buddy! Smith scares me a bit. He even refuses to be weighed and measured at the Senior Bowl. Could even mean he’s shorter and lighter than the projected 6’1” 175 lbs at the moment. Maybe he bulks up a bit for his Bama pro day but it’s worrisome nonetheless.

For what it’s worth; Daniel Jeremiah just published his recent top 50 and has Pitts as the No.3 prospect on the board.

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2021-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-1-0

That is interesting, and Daniel Jeremiah is one of the better media draft analysts out there.

I'm curious to see how fast of a 40 time Pitts runs. Chase Claypool was another prospect that was considered as a WR/TE type but he ran a 4.42 at the Combine, solidifying his stock as a WR. If Pitts shed 5-10 lbs, he could probably run even faster.

1 hour ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

That is interesting, and Daniel Jeremiah is one of the better media draft analysts out there.

I'm curious to see how fast of a 40 time Pitts runs. Chase Claypool was another prospect that was considered as a WR/TE type but he ran a 4.42 at the Combine, solidifying his stock as a WR. If Pitts shed 5-10 lbs, he could probably run even faster.

Except they aren't doing a combine this year.  Has it been announced how these guys are going to be measured in combine type events?  Private workouts or?!?!?

4 hours ago, What The F said:

Except they aren't doing a combine this year.  Has it been announced how these guys are going to be measured in combine type events?  Private workouts or?!?!?

I think it's just their pro days isn't it?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think it's just their pro days isn't it?

Pro Days and the Senior Bowl, that’s about it.  

Pitts and Lawrence are the only two can’t miss guys in the draft.  The only reason he couldn’t lineup outside full time is stamina and that may not be an issue for him.

I don’t believe he’s as explosive as Megatron, but if he runs anything lower than 4.45, than he’s the closest since.  Johnson ran a 4.38.

One of the biggest changes for Pitts in the pros is gonna be the footballs coming in hot, Trask is accurate no doubt but he’s got a Koy Detmer noodle arm, its one of the reasons he’s not mocked in the 1st round, and probably shouldn’t be in the 2nd.  

26 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

One of the biggest changes for Pitts in the pros is gonna be the footballs coming in hot

That and defensive backs are better equipped and better prepared to deal with athletic big guys like Pitts. That's not to say he won't be a really good nfl player just a point to note. 

Why is he going in as a TE if he can also be a WR? Wouldn't being a WR make his stock go up with his measurables?

Eagles likely moving on from Zach Ertz this offseason. They hired former Florida OC Brian Johnson to be their QB coach. He’ll have tons of intel on both Pitts and Toney.

The former could be in play in the first considering Sirianni will run 12 personel a lot and, like Reich, will scheme to create favorable matchups using the players strenghts to his advantage.

I’m wondering; if Sirianni was able to develop an UDFA in Zach Pascal into a quality starter, can he do the same for Reagor, Fulgham, JJAW, Hightower and Watkins?! Except for JJAW, all showed glimpses of untapped potential. The former staff just wasn’t capable of unlocking it. What if Sirianni is convinced he can work with what we have and turn a couple of these kids into quality starters relatively early? Would TE suddenly be a key component for succes for these kids?

Bare with me; let’s assume Sirianni is able to unlock some of these kids potential. What would help them even more to showcase it on the field? A 6’6” 240 lbs TE who will draw double or triple coverage wherever he lines up? Think about it...

Chase would be ideal, Smith has some questions to answer about size and weight but will definitely be in play but from a matchup standpoint there is literally no better player in the class than Pitts. He’s the definition of a matchup nightmare and handsdown one of the best TE prospects coming out in the last decade.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Chase would be ideal, Smith has some questions to answer about size and weight but will definitely be in play but from a matchup standpoint there is literally no better player in the class than Pitts. He’s the definition of a matchup nightmare and handsdown one of the best TE prospects coming out in the last decade.

If they truly want to fix the offense (presuming they can either fix Wentz to some degree or they roll with Hurts and he progresses) then I think drafting Pitts is actually the move. He's big so can be a go to guy, he's a match up nightmare and he's a play maker. With his speed you could line him up at TE or the X receiver and he's going to be a threat. Give whoever is a QB a legit top target.

• Like 1

I posted in the blog about him and was promptly made fun of this idea, people see the designation of "TE" and cant fathom the idea.

anyways here's him manhandling 1st round CB Jaycee Horn on the outside.. (from above posted article)

5B6E346E_317A_4A14_BE17_CFFF2C1993A3.gif

• Like 3

If they draft him at #6 it needs to be because he can play full time WR primarily at X but move him around as well into slot and even TE lineups.

My worry is his separation ability and speed.  Eagles haven't had good luck with contested catch guys and Wentz's ball placement sucks.

He looks like a big WR. I don't see him as a TE.  Maybe he is a Shannon Sharpe type of TE where you just put him out wide most of the time.  Ideally you want your TE to block well, too.  Sometimes you have to be careful with these tweener players because sometimes they can't play either position well in the NFL.  I don't know if some of you remember how many fans wanted the Eagles to draft CB Mike Rumph out of Miami.  He ended up being too slow to be a CB in the NFL and not good enough to be a safety.   Yet, everyone thought he was a can't miss player.  I'm not saying he will be a bust, but these tweener players have more boom/bust potential right out of the gate.

10 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

He looks like a big WR. I don't see him as a TE.  Maybe he is a Shannon Sharpe type of TE where you just put him out wide most of the time.  Ideally you want your TE to block well, too.  Sometimes you have to be careful with these tweener players because sometimes they can't play either position well in the NFL.  I don't know if some of you remember how many fans wanted the Eagles to draft CB Mike Rumph out of Miami.  He ended up being too slow to be a CB in the NFL and not good enough to be a safety.   Yet, everyone thought he was a can't miss player.  I'm not saying he will be a bust, but these tweener players have more boom/bust potential right out of the gate.

If you want a TE that blocks like a boss you have to draft Pat Freiermuth. But as a pure pass-catching TE, Pitts is as good as it gets.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Infam said:

If you want a TE that blocks like a boss you have to draft Pat Freiermuth. But as a pure pass-catching TE, Pitts is as good as it gets.

Well considering that we don't need our 1st round WR to be good at blocking, I'd be fine with Pitts as our fall back option at 6. 😎

We already have invested a 2nd round pick on a WR who is better at blocking than catching, José Joaquín Arcega-Whiteside😂

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Well considering that we don't need our 1st round WR to be good at blocking, I'd be fine with Pitts as our fall back option at 6. 😎

We already have invested a 2nd round pick on a WR who is better at blocking than catching, José Joaquín Arcega-Whiteside😂

Maybe the Eagles should think about converting JJAW to TE if they draft a true X receiver (please let it be Chase). Fulgham and the rookie will be our X’s, Reagor and Ward our slot receivers (yes, I believe Reagor would be better off in the slot) and let Watkins and Hightower battle it out for the Z position.

JJ is 6’2” and 225 lbs and should be able to add a couple of pounds to his frame if necessary. Plus I feel with his skill set he might better off at TE anyway.

This year teams are going to have to make decisions with far less info/data than they are used to. No Combine, no private workouts, just the Senior Bowl and Pro days to go on beyond the film and standard coach (and other) interviews. the Eagles are going to  need their "football guys" more than ever this year as the analytics guys won't have a normal amount of data to use for their annual incorrect recommendations. Hell, maybe Howie and the bean counters will get lucky, and not overthink things because they can't this year.

As for Pitts, I have no idea what the Eagles' Offense will look like, so I don't know how he'd fit, but I like him as a receiving TE or traditional X WR if he can run well. What happens if he chooses not to run at his pro day? No up to date 40 time data, that's what. Ultimately, If no Chase, then a trade back for this kid (or someone else at another position) seems the right move to me.

• Like 3

If we trade back he’d be my target but honestly as a top 5 player in the draft I don’t know how far back you would realistically be able to drop and still get him

3 hours ago, Milkman420 said:

If we trade back he’d be my target but honestly as a top 5 player in the draft I don’t know how far back you would realistically be able to drop and still get him

What about at #6 though? 😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

What about at #6 though? 😁

I don't think you could go much further than 10 if you have any realistic expectations of landing him.  Still want Chase at 6 but if he goes earlier then perhaps a trade back to 9 with Denver might be a possibility ... they could be looking for a QB.  Move back to 9, get their 3rd and take Pitts there.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

I don't think you could go much further than 10 if you have any realistic expectations of landing him.  Still want Chase at 6 but if he goes earlier then perhaps a trade back to 9 with Denver might be a possibility ... they could be looking for a QB.  Move back to 9, get their 3rd and take Pitts there.  

Perfect scenario.  

• Like 2

I think the chances of Pitts being available at 6 may be slim, but I could be wrong. I see a lot of NFL teams having a low grade on him and the rest having an extremely high grade on him. He's not a TE. If you want to call him an H-Back or F-Back, feel free. Call him a WR. He's just a weapon and he's a really big one. The more I watch him, the higher his floor looks and I think he can get bigger and faster. That's scary. 

I cannot imagine drafting him and a kid like Elijah Moore and having 12 personnel of Moore, Reagor, Pitts and Goeddert. My god. 

That's just me though. 

2 hours ago, stinkfist said:

I think the chances of Pitts being available at 6 may be slim, but I could be wrong. I see a lot of NFL teams having a low grade on him and the rest having an extremely high grade on him. He's not a TE. If you want to call him an H-Back or F-Back, feel free. Call him a WR. He's just a weapon and he's a really big one. The more I watch him, the higher his floor looks and I think he can get bigger and faster. That's scary. 

I cannot imagine drafting him and a kid like Elijah Moore and having 12 personnel of Moore, Reagor, Pitts and Goeddert. My god. 

That's just me though. 

He has been "rising" quite a bit, no doubt. But that's a bit rich. I think he will be viewed like McCaffrey, so a top10 pick is possible.

"Slim" chances he is there at 6? Come on...