Connecticut Eagle

8 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

What you don’t think this is realistic 

D9870718-7C01-4AD2-8E85-B5AE2DD0BE69.jpeg

No, they would NEVER include 193.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Flyers are in the 8-12 range league wide in terms of quality. They're objectively good.

They'll lose in RD2 in the playoffs again because they lack a legitimate top 4 defenseman to pair with Provorov and fans will crush them.

57 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I'm not, I tried to explain that.  I'm just going based off of sacks because let's be honest.  You trade up for a pass rusher, not a defensive end who plays the run well.  I'm not taking anything away from BG, he's as solid as they come, great against the run etc.

Was just trying to show that Mamula isn't the collosal bust.

As far as Mamula goes, his "bad reputation" among Eagles fans is largely unwarranted, imo.  A lot of it started with WIP criticizing the pick because back then, 250 lb DE's were unheard of.  So they bashed the pick from day one and it went viral among Eagles fans...so despite Mamula actually performing "above average" for most of his tenure here, he still is (unjustly) regarded as a bust by most Eagles fans because of the "trial by media" he received.

The same can even be said about BG, to a lesser extent.  He was another who was somewhat "criticized" by some fans, etc during his first few years because he only had 3 sacks his rookie year then was hurt, missed most of his 2nd season,etc.  Some fans were saying he was a bust going into his 3rd year until he performed well that year, with 5.5 sacks and 11 QB hits.  And his reputation among some fans was mostly "up" and "down" up until about the 2015 season when he started to become widely regarded as among the "better" DE's in the league.  

BG's excellent character, leadership, love of the city, the team and the fans is what has helped him the most (in terms of becoming a fan favorite) among most fans nowadays, imo.  If he wasn't who he is, a lot of fans would have given up on him years ago, imo.  Somewhat ironic; since who knows what would have happened if it wasn't for his strip sack in the Super Bowl to (basically) seal the deal.  

7 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Thoughts?

I can't read the article.  Does it say what his extension would look like?  He's not worth the $10 milion 5th year that's for sure.

One one hand, the Eagles severely lack talented players under the age of 25 so to let a 24 year old DE go who occasionally flashes would be silly.

On the other hand, his production/injury history/knack for dumb penalties make me think you could replace his production rather easily.  

The best thing Barnett has going for him right now is the fact that this is a very weak DE draft class and the Eagles have next to nothing to spend in FA.  The big question with Barnett is whether or not he is who he is or if he has that breakout season in him and he becomes an impact DE.  I could go either way with him.  Bring him back eh ok..let him go...eh ok.

4 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Well, I know who the front-runners are.

Who? 

20 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

As far as Mamula goes, his "bad reputation" among Eagles fans is largely unwarranted, imo.  A lot of it started with WIP criticizing the pick because back then, 250 lb DE's were unheard of.  So they bashed the pick from day one and it went viral among Eagles fans...so despite Mamula actually performing "above average" for most of his tenure here, he still is (unjustly) regarded as a bust by most Eagles fans because of the "trial by media" he received.

The same can even be said about BG, to a lesser extent.  He was another who was somewhat "criticized" by some fans, etc during his first few years because he only had 3 sacks his rookie year then was hurt, missed most of his 2nd season,etc.  Some fans were saying he was a bust going into his 3rd year until he performed well that year, with 5.5 sacks and 11 QB hits.  And his reputation among some fans was mostly "up" and "down" up until about the 2015 season when he started to become widely regarded as among the "better" DE's in the league.  

BG's excellent character, leadership, love of the city, the team and the fans is what has helped him the most (in terms of becoming a fan favorite) among most fans nowadays, imo.  If he wasn't who he is, a lot of fans would have given up on him years ago, imo.  Somewhat ironic; since who knows what would have happened if it wasn't for his strip sack in the Super Bowl to (basically) seal the deal.  

Agree with all of this.  I think my post comparing Mamula to BG was taken the wrong way by most.  Part of the BG frustration early in his career has to be attributed to seeing Earl Thomas become a top safety helping Seattle dominate with the Legion of Boom while BG was injured, not producing and being moved around to a different defense.  But BG has aged much better than Thomas and I'm happy he's an Eagle, one of my favorite guys to cheer for actually. 

25 minutes ago, RLC said:

The Flyers are in the 8-12 range league wide in terms of quality. They're objectively good.

They'll lose in RD2 in the playoffs again because they lack a legitimate top 4 defenseman to pair with Provorov and fans will crush them.

If Niskanen was still on the team, I bet they would make the 3rd round this year.

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

Hopefully he's not talking worm burner mcnabb. Great on deep throws horrible on short throws. McNabb with decent receivers should have been good enough to win us a superbowl

14 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Agree with all of this.  I think my post comparing Mamula to BG was taken the wrong way by most.  Part of the BG frustration early in his career has to be attributed to seeing Earl Thomas become a top safety helping Seattle dominate with the Legion of Boom while BG was injured, not producing and being moved around to a different defense.  But BG has aged much better than Thomas and I'm happy he's an Eagle, one of my favorite guys to cheer for actually. 

Yep, mine as well.  I've been a BG defender since he's been drafted.  He's always been a super-high motor guy who gives 100% whenever he's on the field.  That sort of thing is tough to teach.  His work ethic and dedication has really helped him become one of the better DE's in the league, imo.

11 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I stopped reading when he put Dak Prescott and McNabb in the same sentence.  <_<  

No disrespect to Prescott but he's not Donovan McNabb.  Two completely different QB's with different skill sets.  

7 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

He has the highest ceiling of any QB in this draft. He also has the lowest floor. He's got potential to be truly special though

3 minutes ago, Solomon said:

He has the highest ceiling of any QB in this draft. He also has the lowest floor. He's got potential to be truly special though

Yep , biggest bust potential too , I still think Jone surprises at next level , Mond the biggest sleeper 

Mills has big upside , just lacks experience 

1 minute ago, Original Sin said:

Yep , biggest bust potential too , I still think Jone surprises at next level , Mond the biggest sleeper 

Mills has big upside , just lacks experience 

Can't speak for Jones as I haven't watched a lot of him, but I'm a big Trask fan. 

Guest justrelax
49 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Who? 

You did notice the shrinking violets giving up on the Flyers five minutes into the game, right?

I think with Barnett, if you flat out release him, it's another hole you need to fill - if you can agree to an extension that removes some cap hit this year and gives him some money down the way, that's a win win for both. The Seahawks wanted to trade for him last season and the Eagles said no, so clearly he's not seen as a lost cause...

2 minutes ago, RLC said:

It begins.

Slay is now on the 2022 roster. Hopefully it's not because of void years.

He's gonna be a monster in this new scheme. O/U 5 picks.

Hopefully Sirianni manages the team better and the Eagles don't have a waiting list at the blue tent again this year.

Think it would be a mistake not to keep Barnett. I think the estimate a bit back for his contract was around 40 mil over five years. I think that's fair. 

You lower the cap hit this coming year and get a fairly cheap, solid/good DE for the next five years that is still only 24 and has room to grow.

Graham isn't going to be here much longer and dumping Barnett is only going to create more holes.

Archived