EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

8 minutes ago, uncphillyfan said:

Where are we know as far as cap?

3 minutes ago, Swoop said:

30+ mil over, I think.

i am gonna start tracking every time a restructure hits to see the 2022 impact.  Looks like the Graham restructure took 5 million off the 2022 cap.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

i am gonna start tracking every time a restructure hits to see the 2022 impact.  Looks like the Graham restructure took 5 million off the 2022 cap.

Slay’s i am more curious to see what it looks like in 2023 

2 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Think it would be a mistake not to keep Barnett. I think the estimate a bit back for his contract was around 40 mil over five years. I think that's fair. 

You lower the cap hit this coming year and get a fairly cheap, solid/good DE for the next five years that is still only 24 and has room to grow.

Graham isn't going to be here much longer and dumping Barnett is only going to create more holes.

I dunno, that seems very steep for him.  

Just looking at Spotrac and Carl Lawson is a FA.  His projected value is $8.8 million.  He came in to the league the same year as Barnett and only has 1/2 more than Barnett (I know sacks aren't the only measurable for defensive ends but it's a big factor).  Very comparable stats.  Barnett is a year younger.  I think the $40 million/5 is accurate and I don't want to pay that much.

Agree that getting rid of Barnett creates holes but I don't want to overpay for mediocrity.  I think we all agree that next year is going to be bad.  I would much rather plug and play one year deals here and there with a vet/draft pick/UDFA instead of locking guys in to long-term contracts just to fill holes.

I just don't know with him.

8 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Ist the BG one done?

28 minutes ago, RLC said:

It begins.

Slay is now on the 2022 roster. Hopefully it's not because of void years.

So goes the dream of trading him. 

3 minutes ago, RLC said:

Fire Howie.

Love something like Howie loves guaranteed dead cap space. 

Howie desperation moves to get below the cap. Slay will finish his career with another team that sucks. Us

The #Eagles have restructured Darius Slay’s contract by adding 2 void years to his deal. This dropped his cap hit from $15.75M to $6.61M, clearing $9.14M in cap space. Slay will be with the Eagles through 2023, but the Eagles will pay him through 2025 now.

like someone said yesterday , kicking the can 

41 minutes ago, RLC said:

It begins.

Slay is now on the 2022 roster. Hopefully it's not because of void years.

Should have just traded him 

25 minutes ago, Swoop said:

30+ mil over, I think.

Is that factoring in Malik Jackson and Alshon?

Void years actually make it easier to trade him for the acquiring team FYI.

It just makes it harder for us to do it.

The Graham/Barnett bookend combo is pretty much the epitome of just OK at arguably the most important position on defense.  

Now, getting by with OK on defense, IMO, may be a bit of a trend for a reason.  However, the fact remains that they are doubling down and committing to just ok, far from scary bookends isn’t something to be excited about for the already bleak future of the team.

17 minutes ago, RLC said:

Fire Howie.

Lol Howie has learned literally nothing. Kick that can Howie!!! 

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Should have just traded him 

Only so much you can do. Impossible to trade Slay, Ertz, and Barnett before the new league year and still get under the cap. The next move is probably Barnett's extension.

11 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Love something like Howie loves guaranteed dead cap space. 

ain't that the truth.  Goodness, this could get ugly.  Nothing like paying a corner until he's 35!  Trading him would have been a better option.

59 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Where's the beard? The nurses must have shaved it off.

We knew Howie was going to have to restructure players, and unfortunately they’re all pretty much old players, but it sucks to see us handing out contracts that will limit us in the future. Slay was an ideal trade candidate who still had some value. That’s gone now. 

10 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

The Graham/Barnett bookend combo is pretty much the epitome of just OK at arguably the most important position on defense.  

Now, getting by with OK on defense, IMO, may be a bit of a trend for a reason.  However, the fact remains that they are doubling down and committing to just ok, far from scary bookends isn’t something to be excited about for the already bleak future of the team.

This is why I think they need to go defense in the first round.  They are so depleted for quality young players on defense that they might have no other option than commit to an underwhelming Barnett. 

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

We knew Howie was going to have to restructure players, and unfortunately they’re all pretty much old players, but it sucks to see us handing out contracts that will limit us in the future. Slay was an ideal trade candidate who still had some value. That’s gone now. 

We will need Slay for Hurts to take us to the Super Bowl next year.

Just now, DumbleBear said:

Your whole theory of Howie "manages the cap wrong" has an incredible logical flaw. 

Who is it that you're targeting? 

Have you seen the list of Free Agents this year? 

Building up a War Chest is a fine strategy "if you have a Target" 

When it is all said and done after these cap cuts around the league this will likely be one of the best free agent classes ever. 

9 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

quite depressing cheering for a team that does the opposite of what you actually like. 

I love hard hitting, athletic linebackers that weigh over 230 lbs. 

I love the tall, lean disruptive DE.  When I say disruptive, I mean guys that can get their arms in the throwing lanes knocking down passes too.  A guy like Tanoh Kpassagnon would be nice. I

I love ballhawk safeties.  

They legit bring in the exact opposite of what I want to see them do. 

Archived