EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, DumbleBear said:

Your whole theory of Howie "manages the cap wrong" has an incredible logical flaw. 

Who is it that you're targeting? 

Have you seen the list of Free Agents this year? 

Building up a War Chest is a fine strategy "if you have a Target" 

It isn't about targeting someone now, its about targeting someone two years from now when we need to move someone but can't because Howie added a bunch of guaranteed void years to everyone's contracts to make up for his F ups that got us in this year's mess.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

When it is all said and done after these cap cuts around the league this will likely be one of the best free agent classes ever. 

and we can't do a damn thing about it. ugh

33 minutes ago, RLC said:

Fire Howie.

Everyone knew that was coming.  I wonder what the hit would be if he's traded.  I can very much see Slay as tradeable before the season deadline.  

Just now, bpac55 said:

quite depressing cheering for a team that does the opposite of what you actually like. 

I love hard hitting, athletic linebackers that weigh over 230 lbs. 

I love the tall, lean disruptive DE.  When I say disruptive, I mean guys that can get their arms in the throwing lanes knocking down passes too.  A guy like Tanoh Kpassagnon would be nice. I

I love ballhawk safeties.  

They legit bring in the exact opposite of what I want to see them do. 

I'm big on Gregory Rousseau.  A lot of people aren't but I think if he played last season he would have continued to develop and put up big numbers and be a sure fire top 10 pick. 

2 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Everyone knew that was coming.  I wonder what the hit would be if he's traded.  I can very much see Slay as tradeable before the season deadline.  

It would be whatever the hit originally was + $9M

Spotrac already updated. At the deadline it would be $5.5M dead money and $1M savings in 21 and $15.5M dead money in 2022

Just now, Mike030270 said:

He's 30 and we're in a rebuild. Don't know why Howie did that

He's rather kick the can down the road than take another L like Wentz and trade a guy for far less than what he invested to get him for. 

2 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I'm big on Gregory Rousseau.  A lot of people aren't but I think if he played last season he would have continued to develop and put up big numbers and be a sure fire top 10 pick. 

I don't know what the ideal draft slot for him would be.  He's the best of a weak bunch.  He definitely has the length you want for a disruptive DE.  I'm just so hesitant on the guys who skipped a year.

Is he going to get overdrafted because of the lack of DE talent or is he going to slide because of the QB/WR/OL that might get drafted early?  

Can we trade down to 15-17 and still nab him while getting a 2nd and hopefully more?

I think his teammate Jaelan Phillips could be had in the 2nd and I like him just as much. 

One of the major problems with the Eagles last year was aging, underperforming vets on extravagant contracts.

What have the Eagles done thus far in the offseason?  They have extended/restructured two aging vets. (I recognize that BG and DS are good players.)

I'm not optimistic about the future, my friends.

11 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

We will need Slay for Hurts to take us to the Super Bowl next year.

Why? Are you guys all riding together and he's the dd?

3 minutes ago, DumbleBear said:

Because "Howie's" not in a rebuild. You are. 

Howie's do or die. 

I doubt it.  Lurie isn't stupid.  He knows that this team needs to dig itself out of a hole (that mainly Howie caused).  Any GM would not be expected to come in and turn things around immediately.  It will take 2-3 years.  You know Lurie will give him at least 2 more unless he completely misses this draft.

1 minute ago, greend said:

Why? Are you guys all riding together and he's the dd?

This post requires greater exposition.

4 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I don't know what the ideal draft slot for him would be.  He's the best of a weak bunch.  He definitely has the length you want for a disruptive DE.  I'm just so hesitant on the guys who skipped a year.

Is he going to get overdrafted because of the lack of DE talent or is he going to slide because of the QB/WR/OL that might get drafted early?  

Can we trade down to 15-17 and still nab him while getting a 2nd and hopefully more?

I think his teammate Jaelan Phillips could be had in the 2nd and I like him just as much. 

He’s a project DE but in a weak DE class so it’s hard to say. I think he would easily be there at 15-17.

Just now, Desertbirds said:

This post requires greater exposition.

The only way Hurts is taking "us" to the super bowl is if he buys "us" tickets and I just guessed that Slay would be the designated driver since we "need" him for it to happen.

8 minutes ago, DumbleBear said:

Howie either wins next year or he's gone. And Howie knows it. 

Too many Chiefs. Not enough Indians. 

Are you talking about actually wins because even if he hits on every pick, this is a 6 win team at best next year.

so just for giggles I went in as the Jags for a draft. Look what Howie did.

image.thumb.png.604f4c0b0d85e135e079d5b33c27082c.png

15 minutes ago, DumbleBear said:

that's the thing when the eagles were rebuilding 99 they were still bringing in vets to help the young players, i think alot of anti vet fans dont seem to understand that having around the young players helps their progression. having a team full of college rookie players is never a good idea, alot of bad teams go backwards because of that strategy.

What does that Slay restructure put us at cap wise including the recent cuts?  What do we have something $30M still to clear up? 

15 minutes ago, DumbleBear said:

Howie has already sold his #1 fan Jeff Lurie on the idea of a complete rebuild.  Howie likely has 3 years to grt the team back in the playoffs before his job is in any danger. 

26 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

He's 30 and we're in a rebuild. Don't know why Howie did that

To get under the cap.

20 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

@Mike31mt

Tell me about Tony Fields. 

I can give you some insight from the Arizona perspective when he was here and why he left and how they thought about him. 

so his dad was really upset with the Arizona program and coaches. He thought the coaching staff did an awful job of how they were utilizing him after his freshman year and the guys around him were making him look worse even though his dad believed he was playing at the same level. It’s why he transferred out of the program before the season and went to West Virginia. However this had been building since his sophomore year. Surprised he actually didn’t leave after his sophomore year with how his dad disliked what was going on and a lot of kids were mentally checking out on sumlin  

from an on the field perspective Arizona thought Colin schooler (also transferred) was the better of the two linebackers. (I don’t think that i think fields was a better athlete and better prospect— hes a better prospect then scooby Wright when he came out of Arizona but was more heralded— fields better athlete and just better instincts but coaches just loved scooby’s heart and motor). They believed his best year was in 2017. Which technically statistics it was but he also had a much better unit around him so he could live up to his potential. his numbers his sophomore and junior year they felt weren’t indicative of his play by that they mean got inflated tackles due to DL just not making plays and being bad so he was forced too at the second level. 

However they loved fields the leader while on the field and teammates all loved him. He had good instincts, has side line to sideline speed and athleticism that’ll help him in the NFL. Thought he’d go late round but make it in the nfl due to his ability to eventually become a 3 down linebacker. At his size could play MIKE in college (base formations) but coaches believed he would be better off switching to WILL at the next level with his athleticism and needed some development in pass rushing moves. They actually began utilizing this more as a pass rusher sophomore and junior cause the DL was not good and they were desperately trying to get some sort of pass rush. 

He has the athleticism to cover in space. Hes not going to get burned by backs out of the backfield due to his athleticism. Actually one of his strengths at Arizona that coaches loved and raved about. He did have at times an issue getting caught looking in the backfield but might be a bad habit due to trying to read the QBs eyes to make a big play cause Arizona’s defense was really bad that was the only way they’d be able to get stops consistently. Early in his career against the run he was good at being able to slip blockers to make some plays. Unfortunately cause Arizona’s defensive line stunk as his career OL’s would get on him and he’d struggle to fight off blockers due to lack of length and his frame. that was more of an Arizona problem then fields because when i say Arizona’s Dl was not good that comes from coaches directly here. Rich rod kind of left Arizona’s DL with very little talent in the pipeline. Coaches felt he could definitely add some more to his frame so he could get better at getting off blocks. That said even though he could stand to add to his frame, he never shied away from being physical. Another thing coaches liked about him. I know they liked schooler better but they believed both of them would have success at the next level. 

i didn’t watch him at West Virginia or how their coaches thought and used him. So might be different how they used him.  

I don’t see the problem with the Slay restructure. He’s only 30. He won’t be elite, but he could be a team leader on the defense and he obviously gives it everything he has. We want those kind of guys here. 

Guest justrelax

Criticize Howie all you want about the salaries he has given out but the criticism that he is kicking the can down the road is misplaced. He HAS to do it to get under the cap.

21 minutes ago, greend said:

The only way Hurts is taking "us" to the super bowl is if he buys "us" tickets and I just guessed that Slay would be the designated driver since we "need" him for it to happen.

OK

Archived