EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

Just now, NCiggles said:

I am concerned about his longevity.  I think it likely depends on whether the stress fracture that worsened was in malleous or navicular bones.  I think navicular fractures typically have a lengthier recovery times and worse prognosis.  I think that's the big concern rather than him losing the agility to be a very good OT.  

That’s really been what my concern is. I think he can still play at a really high level. He’s only 31. I think this is more of is his body going to hold up and allow him to do that. He might get another 5 to 6 years however I don’t think that’s just a given. His body just could be deteriorating. not every player who plays tackle just automatically ages as well as another player. 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

No it's not @Original Sin, though he did used to be beast. It's that dumble bear idiot who adds nothing of value at all. 

Ding Ding

Guest justrelax
4 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

i am still looking at talented IOL. its a good crop

Wyatt Davis comes immediately to mind. Or a trade down and draft Slater later.

Very happy to see Kelce is coming back. He is and will always be an all time Eagle. I don't know why he would want to come back but that's his decision to make.

Guest justrelax
10 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

It's his own mess. So we can criticize him

To be sure, just for the right reasons. He made the bed; we now lie in it.

16 minutes ago, uncphillyfan said:

And Alshon is not off the books so around 20 right now

Alshon,  M. Jackson and an Ertz trade will be used to build cap after the league year begins.   While I don’t expect the Eagles to be big players in free agency, they may not have to sit it out entirely.   

4 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Wyatt Davis comes immediately to mind. Or a trade down and draft Slater later.

i would be happy to use our second on him. very good player and a long term piece we need

10 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I think they have been trying to trade Dillard for awhile now. 

And no, it doesn't take Sewell off the board, at all.

I would also point out that Sewell coming into college as a HS recruit was one of the best guards in high school football. So he can play tackle and guard. Furthermore kelce is here for 2021 that doesn’t meant 2022 they don’t move seumalo over or that Brooks or Lane hold up or that dillard actually becomes good or mailata needs a new contract and is undetermined how good he is 

10 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Apparently so

😃

:rod:

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I think they have been trying to trade Dillard for awhile now. 

And no, it doesn't take Sewell off the board, at all.

Assuming Mailata is the starter at LT.  We now know the 2021 O-Line.   Mailata Seumalo Kelce Brooks Johnson

We still have Herbig, Driscoll, Opeta, Dillard, Toth, Juriga and my darkhorse Ross Pierschbacher.  I think he is Kelce's replacement in 2022.  

I think Driscoll is a perfect swing tackle.  Herbig is your top OG backup.  Opeta and Juriga can continue to grow even on the PS.  Dillard traded.

I still don't see how you can give up on Mailata without knowing what Sewell can be in the NFL.  Anytime people talk about Sewell, I just want to remind them that Dillard was dominant at WSU...and for 3 years.  Penei played for 7 games as a Freshman and then his Sophomore year followed by taking 2020 off.  I just think that's a big risk.  

I'm going to continue to say that O-Line is the least of our worries right now.  They aren't the dominant force they were but there is a good mixture of vets and young guys who are improving to make me happy.

Weapons, gamechangers, players the opposing teams scheme against....those are the guys I'm after.

16 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Glad to hear. Heavily affects our draft strategy.

I think they won't shy away from drafting a center or other interior o-line.  

2 hours ago, devpool said:

Lol Howie has learned literally nothing. Kick that can Howie!!! 

He's so terrible. Really hard to have hope anymore 

12 minutes ago, justrelax said:

To be sure, just for the right reasons. He made the bed; we now lie in it.

Don't see a wrong reason

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Boom

BFF47648-887E-4235-AFA2-D89C99BAF8E1.jpeg

Thank you, Mr. EN6205. You're microchip has been activated. 

Seeing these veteran players committed to the Eagles encourages me for the next season. Maybe Howie is not as bad as we think if they still want to play here.

Considering the circus that we've been through over the past few months, I really thought some of them would refuse to restructure and it felt like Kelce's retirement was imminent. Now, it seems like most leaders will stay to play for a new coach. 

Maybe they knew there was something wrong with Carson? Maybe they felt it was also better for Doug to move on? Maybe they see potential in Hurts? Sirianni? Or maybe they just don't want to go to another city late in their careers 😅

Who knows? But it's at least encouraging.

Slay deal updated on OTC.  Adds 2.2 million to the 2022 and 2023 cap, dummy years in 2024 and 2025 with cap hits of 5.5 million both years.

2021 2022 ( 39 ) 2023 ( 24 ) 2024 ( 11 ) (12 ) 2025 ( 1 ) ( 2 )
Start - 03-04 $43,187,668.00 $73,325,877.00 $136,813,917.00 $207,502,060.00  
Slay update - 03-05 $34,047,668.00 $71,140,877.00 $134,628,917.00 $204,967,060.00 $230,456,000.00

Numbers in parentheses are players under contract, red parentheses are players under contract including dummy years after players contract expires.

10 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Assuming Mailata is the starter at LT.  We now know the 2021 O-Line.   Mailata Seumalo Kelce Brooks Johnson

We still have Herbig, Driscoll, Opeta, Dillard, Toth, Juriga and my darkhorse Ross Pierschbacher.  I think he is Kelce's replacement in 2022.  

I think Driscoll is a perfect swing tackle.  Herbig is your top OG backup.  Opeta and Juriga can continue to grow even on the PS.  Dillard traded.

I still don't see how you can give up on Mailata without knowing what Sewell can be in the NFL.  Anytime people talk about Sewell, I just want to remind them that Dillard was dominant at WSU...and for 3 years.  Penei played for 7 games as a Freshman and then his Sophomore year followed by taking 2020 off.  I just think that's a big risk.  

I'm going to continue to say that O-Line is the least of our worries right now.  They aren't the dominant force they were but there is a good mixture of vets and young guys who are improving to make me happy.

Weapons, gamechangers, players the opposing teams scheme against....those are the guys I'm after.

First, Dillard as a prospect is nothing like Sewell. Sewell is bigger, stronger and can actually block in the run game. 

I agree the line as is isn't bad, and if everyone can stay healthy should be fine. But that's a big if. And just having a bunch of developmental jags behind the starters doesn't mean anything. You don't take a prospect who could potentially be your cornerstone at LT for the next decade off the board. You evaluate him and what you think he can be, while you evaluate the roster you have. 

2 minutes ago, beto_eagles said:

Seeing these veteran players committed to the Eagles encourages me for the next season. Maybe Howie is not as bad as we think if they still want to play here.

Considering the circus that we've been through over the past few months, I really thought some of them would refuse to restructure and it felt like Kelce's retirement was imminent. Now, it seems like most leaders will stay to play for a new coach. 

Maybe they knew there was something wrong with Carson? Maybe they felt it was also better for Doug to move on? Maybe they see potential in Hurts? Sirianni? Or maybe they just don't want to go to another city late in their careers 😅

Who knows? But it's at least encouraging.

I don't know why anyone would refuse to restructure. Eagles are just writing them an upfront check for money they would be getting later in the year. Everyone not demanding a trade out of the team would take that.

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I would also point out that Sewell coming into college and as a HS recruit was one of the best guards in high school football. So he can play tackle and guard. Furthermore kelce is here for 2021 that doesn’t meant 2022 they don’t move seumalo over or that Brooks or Lane hold up or that dillard actually becomes good or mailata needs a new contract and is undetermined how good he is 

Can change draft strategy depending on how Stout views mid round prospects.  If they see a mid rounder that needs work that they think has potential to be a good starter, they may target those players instead of spending early.  That’s what I see in a Spencer Brown.  Real athletic and shows good traits.  Rusty because Northern Iowa didn’t play last fall.  So the may target a player like him instead of going early.  

They did that with Juriga last year.  Frankly, I expected him at the Toohill pick.  Short arms don’t hurt as much with a C. Raw but showed talent at second level blocking in college, so stuff to build on. Playing the sixth OL at the end of the season suggests he made some progress.

Herbig the year before, actually some nifty footwork at the combine but his size and slowness made him a FA.  You see a dancing bear in the G drills.  Good movement in the mirror drill.  But then late every time on the slide drill.  Now most Gs don’t excel at the slide drill but it accented his slowness.  Actually good technique at first but then would flip to chasing the "defender” They focused on getting his body in shape and he improved his sophomore year here.  Not sure he has reached his ceiling.  Coaches mentioned him as a workout warrior last offseason.

Contrast that with Pryor.  Has some good technique but is not progressing in conditioning at all.  We wondered where he was at the start of the season.  On the bench for being a sloth.

Now some projects work out and some don’t.  Opeta was a bull in the bag drills but his footwork has not progressed.  Probably his last shot.  Eagles like the potential in Toth and wanted to keep and develop him on the PS but he was grabbed on waivers   Didn’t really see any progress in pass pro.  May be the last year for him, Opeta and Pryor.  So there will be slots on the OL this year.  

This is a decent crop of Cs this year so I would not be surprised if they grab one in the mid rounds.  Kind of depends how they feel about Driscoll.  He may have been drafted as a swing T but I really thought he was drafted to be depth at G with a future starting there. Kind of a Todd Herremans. 

I think the Eagles take a BPA approach as to OL this year in the draft.  Of course, they have a better idea about Brooks and Johnson’s progress than we do.

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

I don't know why anyone would refuse to restructure. Eagles are just writing them an upfront check for money they would be getting later in the year. Everyone not demanding a trade out of the team would take that.

Because if you don't restructure, you'll probably get cut, receive all the guaranteed money they owe you, become a FA and make more money. You only restructure if you want to stay with the team long term. 

26 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Why do you assume Mailata starts over Dillard?  Why would a team offer good value for Dillard in a trade?

BPA should be the target and defensive secondary deserves attention in this draft.  

1 hour ago, TorontoEagle said:

How come the one poster I have on ignore, his posts continue to pop up anyway? Anybody else have this problem?

usually only when there is a ton of traffic and I have more than 1

1 minute ago, BigEFly said:

Can change draft strategy depending on how Stout views mid round prospects.  If they see a mid rounder that needs work that they think has potential to be a good starter, they may target those players instead of spending early.  That’s what I see in a Spencer Brown.  Real athletic and shows good traits.  Rusty because Northern Iowa didn’t play last fall.  So the may target a player like him instead of going early.  

They did that with Juriga last year.  Frankly, I expected him at the Toohill pick.  Short arms don’t hurt as much with a C. Raw but showed talent at second level blocking in college, so stuff to build on. Playing the sixth OL at the end of the season suggests he made some progress.

Herbig the year before, actually some nifty footwork at the combine but his size and slowness made him a FA.  You see a dancing bear in the G drills.  Good movement in the mirror drill.  But then late every time on the slide drill.  Now most Gs don’t excel at the slide drill but it accented his slowness.  Actually good technique at first but then would flip to chasing the "defender” They focused on getting his body in shape and he improved his sophomore year here.  Not sure he has reached his ceiling.  Coaches mentioned him as a workout warrior last offseason.

Contrast that with Pryor.  Has some good technique but is not progressing in conditioning at all.  We wondered where he was at the start of the season.  On the bench for being a sloth.

Now some projects work out and some don’t.  Opeta was a bull in the bag drills but his footwork has not progressed.  Probably his last shot.  Eagles like the potential in Toth and wanted to keep and develop him on the PS but he was grabbed on waivers   Didn’t really see any progress in pass pro.  May be the last year for him, Opeta and Pryor.  So there will be slots on the OL this year.  

This is a decent crop of Cs this year so I would not be surprised if they grab one in the mid rounds.  Kind of depends how they feel about Driscoll.  He may have been drafted as a swing T but I really thought he was drafted to be depth at G with a future starting there. Kind of a Todd Herremans. 

I think the Eagles take a BPA approach as to OL this year in the draft.  Of course, they have a better idea about Brooks and Johnson’s progress than we do.

To add on your Driscoll point they had him working at center in his pre-draft workouts. I’m curious if they think he could be a potential player that competes for the job when kelce walks away. 

i look at Sewell more this way, if they believe he can be a great LT and better than what they see in mailata and dillard and they love him i don’t hate that pick. There’s some that outside of the QBs he’s the best prospect in this draft. So i can’t be mad if they loved him a new selected him. 

Archived