EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

So if Hurts kinda sucks, does this mean Howie is actually finally held accountable? 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, downundermike said:

100% agree with this tweet.

Wait, you aren't convinced that a guy who went 1-3 and completed 51% of his passes doesn't need to be challenged?   

1 minute ago, greendestiny27 said:

So if Hurts kinda sucks, does this mean Howie is actually finally held accountable? 

Nope, Howie will never be held accountable.  There are already plenty of fails under him that he gets a pass for.

2 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Wait, you aren't convinced that a guy who went 1-3 and completed 51% of his passes doesn't need to be challenged?   

Completed 45% of his passes in the second half, and led the Eagles to points on 2 of 22 possessions.

Imagine how easy he will be shut down with more film and game plans to stop him.

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

Right decision, wrong process. And still with these damn leaks?!

9 minutes ago, downundermike said:

The two worst evaluators in the organization are making this decision fella's. Nothing to worry about 😆

11 hours ago, TEW said:

So here is my take on Pitts:

I don’t want an "offensive weapon” who doesn’t have a defined role at #6, or in the top 100 picks for that matter. We aren’t in a position to take tweeners. We need guys who can play every single snap in a base offense and be productive.

If Pitts is kind of like Zach Ertz (high volume receiving TE) then we shouldn’t be taking him at #6. No way, no how. Even if he’s better than Ertz. If Pitts is a freak of nature WR that is so big he looks like a TE, then sure, I want that kind of freak on my team.

But I do NOT want a guy without a clearly defined role, and I do NOT want a TE in the top 2 rounds of the draft. We have a good TE prospect on the roster already. We need help at WR. And pretty much every other position on the team. We don’t have the luxury of taking a TE in with our first pick.

If Pitts can be you’re #1 WR - a PURE wide receiver and not some ambiguous "weapon” — because, let’s face it, those guys never justify high draft picks on a production level — then I’m all in. 6’6” super athletic WR? YES! TE? NO!

I agree I guess it comes down to what howie sees him as and how Siriani would implement him in the offense.

He and his OC were with gates in S.D. skin sure they are aware of the impact anon traditional non run blocking weapon at TE can have. 

If they see him as more as an X receiver then I could see howie being in on him as Howie has shown to be a fan of big tall receivers with length though he deviated from that last draft and just went with speed, so who knows whats bouncing around in Howie's noggin.

8 minutes ago, downundermike said:

or the tank is on and they understand to wait on drafting a qb until at least next yr

5 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Nope, Howie will never be held accountable.  There are already plenty of fails under him that he gets a pass for.

I know, I'm just holding out hope for even a dim tea candle light at the end of a deep dark moist tunnel 

3 hours ago, ManuManu said:

He’s an aggregator. He’s quoting Albert Breer. 

Is that a person that steals other’s stories to promote their own distribution channel?  Before you state, that he gave Breer credit, let me counter with he didn’t do the work.  That seems so common now.  Cut way down on actually paying reporters to do the work and instead, just reference other sources.  That seems to be UP and AP like but it really isn’t because with AP and UP, the point is that all the press unite to share their stories.  Aggregators don’t seem to develop stories themselves.  BLG strikes me as being that type.  I do not believe he has any of his own sources.  Kempski seems to have taken that to mainstream media.  That seems to be internet "news” now a days.  Sad for journalism and that is bad for a free press.  Couple that with 24/7 talking heads offering opinions and where are we?  

7 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

or the tank is on and they understand to wait on drafting a qb until at least next yr

He's going to win enough games running around being wildly inaccurate to F up the pick position next year.  We may have just entered an 8 win Groundhog Day.

3 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Yup. I think we get the best of all worlds.

If Hurts somehow blows up into a great player, it’s a huge win. I don’t think it happens, but there’s always that small possibility.

If he’s a bottom end starter, we will have a top 10 draft pick plus we can flip Hurts for more draft capital to draft a franchise guy.

If he totally stinks then we have a top 3 draft pick to draft a franchise QB.

No lose situation.

2 minutes ago, TEW said:

Yup. I think we get the best of all worlds.

If Hurts somehow blows up into a great player, it’s a huge win. I don’t think it happens, but there’s always that small possibility.

If he’s a bottom end starter, we will have a top 10 draft pick plus we can flip Hurts for more draft capital to draft a franchise guy.

If he totally stinks then we have a top 3 draft pick to draft a franchise QB.

No lose situation.

What if he's an average, 8 win QB?  That signals the annual cry of "just get Jalen more weapons" to me and we never go either way.

The danger isn’t committing to Hurts for 2021; they’ve used a 2nd round pick on him and eaten $34M in dead money to trade Wentz — it’s only prudent to go forward with the second round draft pick and give him a year to see if he can handle the starting job.

The danger is that Hurts stinks, but the organization thinks he’s good — you know, like with Agholor and Mills?  5 years of Hurts being bad and being kept as a starter is the real danger.

7 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

What if he's an average, 8 win QB?  That signals the annual cry of "just get Jalen more weapons" to me and we never go either way.

2 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

The danger isn’t committing to Hurts for 2021; they’ve used a 2nd round pick on him and eaten $34M in dead money to trade Wentz — it’s only prudent to go forward with the second round draft pick and give him a year to see if he can handle the starting job.

The danger is that Hurts stinks, but the organization thinks he’s good — you know, like with Agholor and Mills?  5 years of Hurts being bad and being kept as a starter is the real danger.

Spot on.

Let’s not forget, ‘tis the season of misinformation and the Eagles are pretty good at that.  Almost all organization leaks we hear in the coming months up,to,the draft are going to be misdirection.  Trade Brooks may be media leverage in restructuring his deal including salary cuts due to his injury.  Lurie going all in on Hurts may be misdirection to discourage a team like the 49ers from jumping the Eagles for a QB because there are QBs the Eagles like that they think at least one of will make it to 6. Now, I regularly doubt the Philly sports media, especially in a time of Covid restricting some access, but almost every offseason in the Lurie era we have seen what appears to be deliberate misdirection this time of year.  I suspect some in the media play along because they mix in some truth and are good for other things that give the media stories at other times.  It’s a dance 24/7/365 but the strongest misdirection comes at this time of year when there isn’t much else to report on about the team.

6 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I think the real danger is that Hurts is good enough to keep the Eagles competitive and make the Eagles think they can compete but he will never be bad enough to be in position to draft top 5. The Eagles will then be drafting in the late teens.  Wash, rinse, repeat. 

Did I just talk myself into a quarterback this year?

5 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I think the real danger is that Hurts is good enough to keep the Eagles competitive and make the Eagles think they can compete but he will never be bad enough to be in position to draft top 5. The Eagles will then be drafting in the late teens.  Wash, rinse, repeat. 

Did I just talk myself into a quarterback this year?

He is a poor man's Lamar Jackson.  Jackson is good enough to get you to the playoffs, and maybe win 1 game, but that's it.

Seems that if Johnson had surgery when they shut him down, after probably a few weeks to let any swelling go down, we are talking mid December.  Coming up on the second week of March seems a little long to begin running.  Of course, they are probably being cautious as he seems to have pushed it last year but I would think he would be seeing some pool treadmill action at least at this point.  Given how pessimistic Johnson sounded last year the upbeat sounds good (although it could be agent directed misdirection given restructuring negotiations).  

35 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

I know, I'm just holding out hope for even a dim tea candle light at the end of a deep dark moist tunnel 

...Why does the tunnel have to be moist? 

The odds that any QB the Eagles take at #6 will be better than Hurts is about 1 in 3. Go look at the flop rate of top ten drafted QBs. At least they have NFL film on Hurts.

So it makes more sense to build the team, then cycle through QBs until you hit one.

My suspicion is there was no unanimity in the organization concerning Hurts, so Lurie probably talked to Sirianni, and asked him if he thinks Hurts could be coached up. Sirianni said yes.

It also tells you the scouts weren't sold on any of the QBs in this draft - which means it's a crap shoot either way. If there was a consensus that one or two of the QBs could be a top ten guy, they'd focus on obtaining that QB - but if the consensus was they were all iffy, then might as well go with Hurts.

So Lurie did what the COB does in this situation, made an executive decision that allowed the organization to move forward in the post-season.

This is a rebuild, one reason not to rush into finding "the QB" is the clock starts ticking on his big money extension.  Mahomes was #10, Watson #12, so the idea you have to pick #1 or #2 to get that QB is a bit erroneous, in fact, I suspect one reason teams miss so often at the top of the draft is the obvious choice isn't the best choice most years. Lawrence to me is no slam dunk, neither is any other QB this year, and it won't surprise me if the 4th or 5th QB taken turns out to be the best one.

Guest justrelax
2 hours ago, ManuManu said:

That is not the same as the owner dictating who to build around. 

Kempski is basically a jabbering idiot desperate for clicks.

It makes sense , you just used a 2 on Hurts , put some talent around him and see what you have , if he flops the next guy will have something to work with .

4 minutes ago, justrelax said:

I agree with you but Lurie is 100% trending to be more like JJ.  Maybe not in terms of recent success but meddling with players he wants, roster transactions and such he is beginning to be right there with him.

6 minutes ago, justrelax said:

I used to like him a lot but since he started doing the BGN radio podcast he's gotten less and less tolerable.

LOL!!!  NOW he has learned!!  Wow... this is rich.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2021/3/8/22319307/jalen-hurts-jeffrey-lurie-eagles-rumors-nfl-draft-2021-quarterback-news-philadelphia-competition-qb

The lesson wasn't that he has no idea what he is doing... that he has completely and utterly destroyed the team since he effectively took over post 2017.... no... the lesson he has learned is you must be 100% all in to support your quarterback to have a chance to succeed.  WOW!!!  Boy don't you wish you could have learned this 12 months earlier... the embarrassment of the latest implosion and this last trade had to be a bitter pill.

INCREDIBLE!!!!  This guy is literally a circus clown.  He is so lucky he was born into so much money... or who knows where he would have ended up.

Gee, whiz, what incredible bravery and insight.  I can't wait to watch your continued development as GM, Jeff.  I'll look forward to you learning more lessons that most everyone else knows, inherently, and making "productive mistakes" along the way.

Archived