EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

I agree with you but Lurie is 100% trending to be more like JJ.  Maybe not in terms of recent success but meddling with players he wants, roster transactions and such he is beginning to be right there with him.

You are correct, and Kempinski is 100% correct.  Lurie has been "Jerry Jones behind the scenes" for quite some time now... since the SB.  This much is clear.  This is also why the nonsensical retention of Howie Roseman, despite total failure in every respect, must be thought of differently.

This piece I saw this weekend had the accurate characterization:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/eytan-shander-will-eagles-owner-jeffrey-lurie-ever-fire-howie-roseman/

3 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

It makes sense , you just used a 2 on Hurts , put some talent around him and see what you have , if he flops the next guy will have something to work with .

It does but the frustrating part is you invested $120 million in Carson Wentz.  Why not surround him with talent to help him?  That's the part that really pisses me off.  Who knows how good Carson could be if you gave him legitimate weapons rather than an injured DJack, injured Alshon, Greg Ward, JJAW and the rest. 

Then you don't call any plays to help Carson either.  You don't call plays to his strength, you don't run the ball consistently and it goes on and on.

They did the bare minimum to help Carson.  Now they want us to believe Hurts is the guy to build around and bring talent in to help? Give me a break.  Team's a joke. 

This completely changes my prior draft prognostication.  I had previously indicated that I was 100% certain of a QB pick at 6 or in a trade up, for a variety of reasons, but it was obvious to me this is what they will do.

This reporting is very new, though I don't see a reason yet to discount it.  If this reporting firms up, and I can see the owner making such a laughable declaration in lieu of what has happened to him... it will open up the top pick to something else.

Before we totally write Hurts off, let’s put his 2020 performance in perspective.  I have to believe that Carson got the majority of practice snaps in with the starting receivers.  I also think we need to look some at the starting OL condition by the time Hurts gets in.  It may be premature to assume he is a 52% passer.   In college, he was more accurate than McNabb, although with more talented receivers and a better OL at Alabama. He did run more and that has always been my issue with him, he is too quick to give up on the pass play and run.  Lot of difference between Alabama’s offensive scheme and Oklahoma’s. That suggests he is a quick study.  Does seem to be open to coaching and willing to put the work in.  We will see.  May fall or may rise.  

Eagles do need to bring in some QBs though.  Cannot practice with just one and cannot play a season with just one.  I think Howie may be clearing some cap space after he gets to the cap, possibly to sign a QB. 

Guest justrelax
3 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I agree with you but Lurie is 100% trending to be more like JJ.  Maybe not in terms of recent success but meddling with players he wants, roster transactions and such he is beginning to be right there with him.

I don't see it that way. I think that Lurie, like most in the Blog, sees this team going to hell in a handbasket. He's cleaning house, EXCEPT for Howie and I think Howie gets this year or goodbye. Further, Howie's contracts  have burdened this team enormously and Lurie is setting Howie to clean it up...for the NEXT GM who will not have to deal with Howie's nonsense. Lurie will get a better GM if the situation isn't littered with dead cap money and old goats.

Just now, bpac55 said:

It does but the frustrating part is you invested $120 million in Carson Wentz.  Why not surround him with talent to help him?  That's the part that really pisses me off.  Who knows how good Carson could be if you gave him legitimate weapons rather than an injured DJack, injured Alshon, Greg Ward, JJAW and the rest. 

Then you don't call any plays to help Carson either.  You don't call plays to his strength, you don't run the ball consistently and it goes on and on.

They did the bare minimum to help Carson.  Now they want us to believe Hurts is the guy to build around and bring talent in to help? Give me a break.  Team's a joke. 

The GM/owner had not yet learned this lesson.  He thought you could hedge on your franchise QB, because the QB position is so important, and decent backup QBs are relatively expensive.  He thought of QB's as "resources" -- even as part of a "factory" - and that they had "value" in most circumstances.

He had no knowledge or understanding of how drafting QBs high impacts other QBs on the roster.  He had no inclination about the personalities involved.  No real feel for the cost of making such a decision.  Didn't understand the history, or that nothing like it had ever been done before.

But don't worry... he has learned now!!!!

28 minutes ago, downundermike said:

He is a poor man's Lamar Jackson.  Jackson is good enough to get you to the playoffs, and maybe win 1 game, but that's it.

Mike - you are giving him too much credit.  Lamar Jackson is way more talented.

33 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I think the real danger is that Hurts is good enough to keep the Eagles competitive and make the Eagles think they can compete but he will never be bad enough to be in position to draft top 5. The Eagles will then be drafting in the late teens.  Wash, rinse, repeat. 

Did I just talk myself into a quarterback this year?

That is the problem.  He is just good enough running around for the Eagles to have to bundle up a bunch of resources to get a QB to ever get out of the 8 win cycle.  The best use of the resources is to find one at 6 this year versus screwing up a whole draft (or two) to have to move up later.  

2 hours ago, RLC said:

Lurie's Howie blind-spot is a significant problem.

Yet calling Lurie Jerry Jones is absurd. The Cowboys have 3 playoff wins since 1996 and they hired Mike McCarthy because he's friends with Jerry Jones. It's just not the same.

I would agree if we were talking about the better part of the last 20 years. The problem is here and now, and going forward, Lurie looks to be going that way going forward. Depending on how long that lasts, we better be grateful for three playoff wins in the coming years. 

26 minutes ago, Solomon said:

...Why does the tunnel have to be moist? 

Friction

6 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Before we totally write Hurts off, let’s put his 2020 performance in perspective.  I have to believe that Carson got the majority of practice snaps in with the starting receivers.  I also think we need to look some at the starting OL condition by the time Hurts gets in.  It may be premature to assume he is a 52% passer.   In college, he was more accurate than McNabb, although with more talented receivers and a better OL at Alabama. He did run more and that has always been my issue with him, he is too quick to give up on the pass play and run.  Lot of difference between Alabama’s offensive scheme and Oklahoma’s. That suggests he is a quick study.  Does seem to be open to coaching and willing to put the work in.  We will see.  May fall or may rise.  

Eagles do need to bring in some QBs though.  Cannot practice with just one and cannot play a season with just one.  I think Howie may be clearing some cap space after he gets to the cap, possibly to sign a QB. 

I'm not giving up on him because of what I saw last year.  What I saw last year is exactly what he was for 4 years in college with the best coaching at the highest level.   He just didn't have as much talent around him and had to raise the team up...something he never had to do in the past.  We also shouldn't assume that the coaches here now are going to fix his issues any better than all of his past coaches tried to.  He's had five years to develop beyond "one read and run like hell."   I hope that I am wrong, but I don't see wins being a big part of his legacy.  Exciting, yes.  WIns, no.

12 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I'm not writing him off but I am doubtful. As always though, I'll be happy to be wrong

3 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

The Jalen Hurts hate here is so utterly pathetic. 

Pointing out what he is is not hate, its facts.  Do you think he is better than Lamar Jackson ??

14 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

How so?  Jerry is the GM and his son is the team president.  They make the trade and draft decisions.   Does Lurie have a vision?   Do they have to seek his input on some decisions?  Yes, but he is not Jones.  Heck, I don’t think he is Snyder.   More like Warren Buffett, seeking the best hires so he doesn’t need to deal with the day to day.  He is kind of used to that role as a producer in the entertainment industry.  

Just now, RememberTheKoy said:

The Jalen Hurts hate here is so utterly pathetic. 

It isn't hate at all.  It's the owner saying he doesn't want to bring in ANY competition for Hurts.  He's handing Hurts the starting QB position based off of 4 games.  4 games which he went 1-3, completed 51% of his passes and outside of being a running threat, provided nothing more than a struggling Carson Wentz.

Carson Wentz playing his worst football, statistically was still better than Hurts last year and Carson was trash. 

I want Hurts to be the guy.  It means we don't have to use another pick on another quarterback and we can focus on the future but I just don't see it.  I want the Eagles to have a great quarterback. At the very least however, you bring in a veteran quarterback to compete and push Jalen Hurts.

What message is this telling the team?  Carson Wentz was going to be forced to compete with Hurts for the 2021 job.  Hurts now doesn't have to compete with anyone??? In what world does that make sense?  

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Pointing out what he is is not hate, its facts.  Do you think he is better than Lamar Jackson ??

Lamar Jackson is one season removed from MVP so of course not.  

You're the biggest Hurts hater here. You want facts? Look at Hurts rookie year compared to the rookie years of other Eagles rookie QBs and see how favorably his compares.  The fact is it is nothing but hate that fuels you and other writing Hurts off before his second season when all things considering he had a promising rookie season. 

2 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Lamar Jackson is one season removed from MVP so of course not.  

You're the biggest Hurts hater here. You want facts? Look at Hurts rookie year compared to the rookie years of other Eagles rookie QBs and see how favorably his compares.  The fact is it is nothing but hate that fuels you and other writing Hurts off before his second season when all things considering he had a promising rookie season. 

Lamar Jackson is also good enough to get to the playoffs, and maybe win a game, but that's it.

If Hurts is not as good as Lamar Jackson, which he is not, then the Eagles should be looking for another QB.

2 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

It isn't hate at all.  It's the owner saying he doesn't want to bring in ANY competition for Hurts.  He's handing Hurts the starting QB position based off of 4 games.  4 games which he went 1-3, completed 51% of his passes and outside of being a running threat, provided nothing more than a struggling Carson Wentz.

Carson Wentz playing his worst football, statistically was still better than Hurts last year and Carson was trash. 

I want Hurts to be the guy.  It means we don't have to use another pick on another quarterback and we can focus on the future but I just don't see it.  I want the Eagles to have a great quarterback. At the very least however, you bring in a veteran quarterback to compete and push Jalen Hurts.

What message is this telling the team?  Carson Wentz was going to be forced to compete with Hurts for the 2021 job.  Hurts now doesn't have to compete with anyone??? In what world does that make sense?  

It is hate. You outlined a situation of the team making him the start, well hate the Eagles owner for that but that doesn't justify your hate for Hurts. 

Also to say that Wentz last season was better than Hurts really does a lot to discredit how I take your opinion on anything football related going forward. Wentz was absolutely abysmal.  The offense was better without.  There are numbers backing this up. 

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Lamar Jackson is also good enough to get to the playoffs, and maybe win a game, but that's it.

If Hurts is not as good as Lamar Jackson, which he is not, then the Eagles should be looking for another QB.

Oh okay, so just like you have written the book on Hurts career after 4 career starts you have also written the book on Llamar's career after 3 seasons. 

Makes a lot of sense. 

2 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

How so?  Jerry is the GM and his son is the team president.  They make the trade and draft decisions.   Does Lurie have a vision?   Do they have to seek his input on some decisions?  Yes, but he is not Jones.  Heck, I don’t think he is Snyder.   More like Warren Buffett, seeking the best hires so he doesn’t need to deal with the day to day.  He is kind of used to that role as a producer in the entertainment industry.  

Wasn't the word on the street that Lurie produced crappy movies?

The knock on Jerry Jones has always been he's too involved in personnel decisions.  Jerry's way or the highway.  That's the comparison that many of us are trying to make.  Lurie is saying Hurts is my guy, now go build a team around him.

There is no conversation with the head coach saying hey coach, what guy do you want?  Who can you build a team around?  What kind of offense do you want and what quarterback fits that?  Lurie is saying, Hurts is the guy now go coach him.  I don't like that mindset from an owner.  I prefer him to own the team and let the GM and coaching staff work together to build the team.  I want Siriani to be able to say this is the guy I want and then Howie makes it happen.   

6 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Let’s not forget, ‘tis the season of misinformation and the Eagles are pretty good at that.  Almost all organization leaks we hear in the coming months up,to,the draft are going to be misdirection.  Trade Brooks may be media leverage in restructuring his deal including salary cuts due to his injury.  Lurie going all in on Hurts may be misdirection to discourage a team like the 49ers from jumping the Eagles for a QB because there are QBs the Eagles like that they think at least one of will make it to 6. Now, I regularly doubt the Philly sports media, especially in a time of Covid restricting some access, but almost every offseason in the Lurie era we have seen what appears to be deliberate misdirection this time of year.  I suspect some in the media play along because they mix in some truth and are good for other things that give the media stories at other times.  It’s a dance 24/7/365 but the strongest misdirection comes at this time of year when there isn’t much else to report on about the team.

I think that's true to some extent but I have a hard time not believing that Lurie is stepping into make a decision. Part of it is just the absence of a GM that can take any kind of accountability for a decision.  The reality is that this idea of a collaborative decision just has allowed for Lurie to have this growing say in these types of personnel decisions.  It could be a smoke screen that both assuages Hurts and allows the Eagles to keep a team from jumping ahead of them. What is concerning is that Lurie is being seen (even if this is an attempt at manipulation), as having a role in determining the Eagles roster.  

19 minutes ago, greend said:

Friction

But if the tunnel is the Eagles and we're trying to squeeze our way out, wouldn't they want it dry so it hurts more for us? I feel like Howie is trying to hurt us. 

3 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

It is hate. You outlined a situation of the team making him the start, well hate the Eagles owner for that but that doesn't justify your hate for Hurts. 

Also to say that Wentz last season was better than Hurts really does a lot to discredit how I take your opinion on anything football related going forward. Wentz was absolutely abysmal.  The offense was better without.  There are numbers backing this up. 

I do hate the owner for that.  My biggest issues with this team start with Jeff Lurie and Howie Roseman.  If you go back through my posts regarding Hurts you'll see that almost every time I say I'm cheering for him and I hope he turns out to be the guy.  It isn't hate to question if he can be however.  

Wentz was abysmal as I said myself.  The offense was better without him but that doesn't mean that Hurts was better statistically.  DP changed his play calling to help Hurts.  Hurts also added the spark and the threat of running (other things I alluded to).  

I've been fair in my criticisms with both quarterbacks.  I was a Wentz fan but I was also a Hurts fan while he was in college.  I think Wentz is the better pro quarterback regardless of how poorly he played last year.  I think he bounces back in Indy in a big way.  

Archived